Will Hall New OC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc= ... h=football

Will is an incredible leader of men with a relentless work ethic, and he has achieved tremendous success throughout his entire career at every level. Will brings a dynamic offensive mind, which teamed with our current offensive staff, establishes what I feel is one of the top group of coaches in the country. Growing up in Amory, Miss., and playing at an All-American level at both Northwest Mississippi and North Alabama, Will has deep rooted relationships throughout Mississippi and the Mid-South. He will assist in continuing to bring top-level student-athletes here to Memphis,” head coach Mike Norvell said.

In his stint at West Georgia (UWG), Hall led the Wolves to a 31-9 record, the first Gulf South Conference (GSC) title since 2000 and a pair of NCAA Division II semifinal appearances. His first two seasons at UWG produced a pair of 12-win seasons before finishing 7-4 in 2016.

Success was immediate for Hall as the Wolves set multiple school records, won their first GSC title in 14 years and reached the NCAA Division II playoffs.

Under his direction, a program that had not made an impact in the conference, much less nationally, in over a decade transformed into the talk of the nation in NCAA Division II. Under Hall’s direction, the Wolves were nationally ranked for 17 weeks consecutively, including earning the program’s first No. 1 national ranking on Oct. 26, 2015.

Hall’s first UWG squad in 2014 caught more than a few people by surprise. The Wolves finished the regular season strong with a 9-2 record and earned the program’s first NCAA playoffs bid since 2000. Road wins at Tuskegee, Delta State, and Valdosta State were the first postseason victories in the school’s Division II history and gave UWG the NCAA Super Region 2 title.

Though UWG caught no one by surprise in 2015, it didn’t matter. Hall’s juggernaut roared through the first nine games of the regular season, all wins, and none were closer than a 17-point margin. A three-touchdown, week-eight win over nationally ranked North Alabama pushed the Wolves into the top spot in the nation in Division II for the first time in school history.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 pm
Does Hall realize that at Tulane the athletes will not only have to tote text books as well as footballs but also open the text books and read them as a part of actually attending classes and PASSING exams . None of those required at Memphis ,
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 pm
Does Hall realize that at Tulane the athletes will not only have to tote text books as well as footballs but also open the text books and read them as a part of actually attending classes and PASSING exams . None of those required at Memphis ,
That's not his job. Its on Fritz to make sure we have players that can handle classwork. All Hill has to do is work with whomever Fritz provides. Plus, he's only been at Memphis one year. He's their Associate Head Coach and Tight Ends Coach, not their OC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

And we know he understands what a good passing game is.
From 1999-2000, he attended Northwest Mississippi Community College, where he was a two-time National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) All-American.

In 2000, Hall set a NJCAA record for total offense in a season (4,075 yards) and added an NJCAA single-game record with nine touchdown passes.
cajunfanatico
Swell

https://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc= ... h=football

Will is an incredible leader of men with a relentless work ethic, and he has achieved tremendous success throughout his entire career at every level. Will brings a dynamic offensive mind, which teamed with our current offensive staff, establishes what I feel is one of the top group of coaches in the country. Growing up in Amory, Miss., and playing at an All-American level at both Northwest Mississippi and North Alabama, Will has deep rooted relationships throughout Mississippi and the Mid-South. He will assist in continuing to bring top-level student-athletes here to Memphis,” head coach Mike Norvell said.

In his stint at West Georgia (UWG), Hall led the Wolves to a 31-9 record, the first Gulf South Conference (GSC) title since 2000 and a pair of NCAA Division II semifinal appearances. His first two seasons at UWG produced a pair of 12-win seasons before finishing 7-4 in 2016.

Success was immediate for Hall as the Wolves set multiple school records, won their first GSC title in 14 years and reached the NCAA Division II playoffs.

Under his direction, a program that had not made an impact in the conference, much less nationally, in over a decade transformed into the talk of the nation in NCAA Division II. Under Hall’s direction, the Wolves were nationally ranked for 17 weeks consecutively, including earning the program’s first No. 1 national ranking on Oct. 26, 2015.

Hall’s first UWG squad in 2014 caught more than a few people by surprise. The Wolves finished the regular season strong with a 9-2 record and earned the program’s first NCAA playoffs bid since 2000. Road wins at Tuskegee, Delta State, and Valdosta State were the first postseason victories in the school’s Division II history and gave UWG the NCAA Super Region 2 title.

Though UWG caught no one by surprise in 2015, it didn’t matter. Hall’s juggernaut roared through the first nine games of the regular season, all wins, and none were closer than a 17-point margin. A three-touchdown, week-eight win over nationally ranked North Alabama pushed the Wolves into the top spot in the nation in Division II for the first time in school history.
Should be a good hire if you guys can land him. I recall that Napier had made a run at him but he'd signed on with Memphis.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am
Wow that’s was fast. I wonder when he starts.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He was OC at U-La-La. I wonder what Canjunfanatico thought of the offense they ran last year? It seems to have been pretty damned effective, though the team was in disarray.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

Great hire perfect fit for Coach Fritz has won at all levels as a Head Coach, assistant Coach and Quarterback. Many Coaching awards and records set.
https://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1549
gbgreenie
Surge

Hall was twice named GSC Coach of the Year and was the Super Region 2 Coach of the Year.
Hall’s five seasons as a head coach were successful. From 2011-13 at West Alabama, his teams won two league titles and twice earned spots in the NCAA Division II Playoffs. At UWG, Hall has carried the Wolves to postseason play both seasons, and the 2015 GSC title was the first for the program in 15 years.
In his first season at West Georgia, more than 30 team and individual records fell. In addition to setting records, the Wolves hauled in individual accolades. Sixteen players earned All-Gulf South Conference recognition and seven received All-American distinction, which included the program’s first Academic All-American in Alex Macaulay.
Hall’s players also have had success at the next level, and among that group of honored athletes is 2015 Super Bowl hero and current Tennessee Titan Malcolm Butler, who was a two-time All-GSC performer for Hall at West Alabama. In the spring of 2016, offensive tackle Dominique Robertson became the first UWG player in school history to receive an invitation to the NFL Draft Combine.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:51 pm Great hire perfect fit for Coach Fritz has won at all levels as a Head Coach, assistant Coach and Quarterback. Many Coaching awards and records set.
https://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1549
Scroll up about 4 posts in this thread....it's all right here on the same page!
RobertM320
Green Wave

I always wonder why people repost the same thing that's a few posts up.
dpm wave
Swell

Someone advise him to update his Twitter:

https://twitter.com/coach_hall7?lang=en
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Memphis coach Mike Norvell confirmed it to the Commercial Appeal:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 202480002/

On the face of it it looks like a good hire. Has a lot of experience and is familiar with the conference and especially our division. Hope it works out.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm the hiring is too fast for my taste...but here ya go
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 7087f.html

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/12/tul ... eport.html
Yes. But looks like a step up from Ruse. Hopefully he can start immediately and coach in the Cure Bowl.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:59 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm the hiring is too fast for my taste...but here ya go

Yes. But looks like a step up from Ruse. Hopefully he can start immediately and coach in the Cure Bowl.
He might be on the sidelines, but not coaching this game. Just as McMillan couldn't start for weeks after joining the program 5 days before the first game, Hall can't make changes offensively 10 days before a bowl game when the team does very little practicing the last 4 or so days before the game. And they've already named the Assoc HC as the play caller. Are you going to rip that away? Hell no!

Show Me, I'm pretty sure you know that if you think about it. And I say that as a compliment (which sometimes gets lost on internet bulletin boards.)

I don't think the hiring was too fast at all. It Shows Me that they didn't want him to land elsewhere. We weren't going to get a Rich Rodriguez (and certainly not a Shaun King). Let's hope he's the most successful OC we've hired since RR!

ROLL WAVE!
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:59 pm

He might be on the sidelines, but not coaching this game. Just as McMillan couldn't start for weeks after joining the program 5 days before the first game, Hall can't make changes offensively 10 days before a bowl game when the team does very little practicing the last 4 or so days before the game. And they've already named the Assoc HC as the play caller. Are you going to rip that away? Hell no!

Show Me, I'm pretty sure you know that if you think about it. And I say that as a compliment (which sometimes gets lost on internet bulletin boards.)

I don't think the hiring was too fast at all. It Shows Me that they didn't want him to land elsewhere. We weren't going to get a Rich Rodriguez (and certainly not a Shaun King). Let's hope he's the most successful OC we've hired since RR!

ROLL WAVE!
Yes I meant be a bystander coach on sideline versus coaching Memphis in their bowl game. Remember Rod stayed and coached us in 1998.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ok, I got it.

And I respected the hell out of RR for staying in the face of Cowen pulling the rug from underneath him. That was a class act that showed tremendous loyalty to the kids he coached. And I would accept Hall's decision either way. He's a TE coach at Memphis, not the OC, and Norvell hasn't moved on (yet?)
ccap05
Surge

I was a bit surprised by this hire. Based on the advice I was giving WF from my seats at Yullman during the Navy game my wife told me that I should be the OC. I assumed when I heard about the opening that she had some inside information and was not being snide. Did anyone besides my wife hear that I was under consideration for the spot? I would ask her but she would think it was another attempt to bring up the subject of a family trip to Disney for a pre-Christmas vacation.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ccap05 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm I was a bit surprised by this hire. Based on the advice I was giving WF from my seats at Yullman during the Navy game my wife told me that I should be the OC. I assumed when I heard about the opening that she had some inside information and was not being snide. Did anyone besides my wife hear that I was under consideration for the spot? I would ask her but she would think it was another attempt to bring up the subject of a family trip to Disney for a pre-Christmas vacation.
If only you put something out on social media SOMEBODY would have said you were a candidate. Hope you don't go to the press conference in your Green jacket expecting to be introduced!
ccap05
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm
ccap05 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm I was a bit surprised by this hire. Based on the advice I was giving WF from my seats at Yullman during the Navy game my wife told me that I should be the OC. I assumed when I heard about the opening that she had some inside information and was not being snide. Did anyone besides my wife hear that I was under consideration for the spot? I would ask her but she would think it was another attempt to bring up the subject of a family trip to Disney for a pre-Christmas vacation.
If only you put something out on social media SOMEBODY would have said you were a candidate. Hope you don't go to the press conference in your Green jacket expecting to be introduced!
Me being under consideration would not be totally crazy. I have not brought this up on the board before because I try to stay modest but I did play second/third string offensive guard on our high school JV team for one year before moving on to Soccer (with similar results). It may be that WF would want to gain access to some of the plays we ran back in the early 80s.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ccap05 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:08 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm
Me being under consideration would not be totally crazy. I have not brought this up on the board before because I try to stay modest but I did play second/third string offensive guard on our high school JV team for one year before moving on to Soccer (with similar results). It may be that WF would want to gain access to some of the plays we ran back in the early 80s.
I can top that! I was Captain of the JV team as an 8th grader (and got the crap beat out of me scrimmaging the Varsity!) By the time I was Varsity ready, I played golf!! I was too senseless with pads on, never thought I'd get hurt but was getting killed at 5'11 and 148#! Was a force in Fraternity football (and dorm league) at Tulane, though. Had the entire DKE team try to put me through the glass doors of Monroe after my 3rd pick (first two were pick 6's) against them!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mods merge all of the Ruse / Hall threads....latest from NOLA
https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/12/tul ... nator.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !