December 1, 1973

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

what made the 14- zip game so special, it was supposed to be played in BR...but the LSU fan base complained about the cost of season tickets, because they were to have 8 home games, so they oince again came to Tulane. I guess they had short memories, the 1972 game was one hell of a contest, with Tulane stopped just short of the winning TD on the last play of the game..
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... edule.html

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

I really liked the LSU announcer John Ferguson who was a very fair one. He would get as excited for visiting teams’ big plays as he would for the Tigahs. “Mickelson and Arthur block we’ll”, he proclaimed after Bynum’s long run,
I only wish somebody had the Bruce Miller broadcast for that game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 am I really liked the LSU announcer John Ferguson who was a very fair one. He would get as excited for visiting teams’ big plays as he would for the Tigahs. “Mickelson and Arthur block we’ll”, he proclaimed after Bynum’s long run,
I only wish somebody had the Bruce Miller broadcast for that game.
I agree, Ferguson was very fair and objective in his thoughts, he left little doubt to the LSU fan base, which team was better that evening.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

A great moment, but part and parcel of the problem: TU supporters celebrating a game that isn't in the living memory of two generations of fans.
RobertM320
Green Wave

MicMan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am A great moment, but part and parcel of the problem: TU supporters celebrating a game that isn't in the living memory of two generations of fans.
And if I remember correctly, LSU fans continued to celebrate their 1958 team for 46 years, until Saban finally won them a title.. So its not something only Tulane does.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 pm
MicMan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am A great moment, but part and parcel of the problem: TU supporters celebrating a game that isn't in the living memory of two generations of fans.
And if I remember correctly, LSU fans continued to celebrate their 1958 team for 46 years, until Saban finally won them a title.. So its not something only Tulane does.
How many times have we had to watch Billy Cannon’s Halloween Night punt return?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We have to go back to the 70’s and early 80’s thanks to Eamon Kelly (father of the Tulane Model) and Baby Huey Cowen. Collectively their misguided policies took Tulane to athletic irrelevance. And in Cowen’s case, to academic deterioration.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Happy Anniversary!
14-0

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What a night!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm What a night!!!
Absolutely!!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I wuz in the north end zone...the same seats I had for the '72 game
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Same here as for the seats. Sat right above us getting stopped short in '72 when the pass was thrown behind our back breaking his stride and allowing the LB to stop him. I knw=ew we would take them in '73 and when it was announced that the game would be here I couldn't wait to be there.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

50 year Anniversary coming up. Nice story by Rene Nadeau. Tulane 14-0 win over LSU.
https://crescentcitysports.com/a-half-c ... e-players/
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link. From the horses mouth just as I have posted before when this comes up every year at this time. Of course the usual suspects had to try and deny it:

"Five seconds remained on the clock when Foley stepped under center at the LSU 5. “I threw a swing pass to fullback Russell Huber, a little behind him. He had to adjust to catch the pass and LSU safety Frank Racine made an open-field tackle, stopping Huber’s progress at the one-foot line,” Foley explained."

Play happened right below our seats If he hits him in stride he scores and we win.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:11 am Thanks for the link. From the horses mouth just as I have posted before when this comes up every year at this time. Of course the usual suspects had to try and deny it:

"Five seconds remained on the clock when Foley stepped under center at the LSU 5. “I threw a swing pass to fullback Russell Huber, a little behind him. He had to adjust to catch the pass and LSU safety Frank Racine made an open-field tackle, stopping Huber’s progress at the one-foot line,” Foley explained."

Play happened right below our seats If he hits him in stride he scores and we win.
Yes. And it’s one of those rare plays if you were there it’s imbedded in your brain forever. I can still see it and feel the pain. We win 10-9 if he scores and we make the PAT in ‘72.
Tulane Class of 1981
cigarman66
Ripple

Remember these games like it was yesterday! Sat in the south end zone in '72, and the north in '73. Sat in the LSU student section both times, rubbing it in that we were the superior team. Though I was booed, cursed, had beer poured on me, and had things thrown at me (from behind me, the cowards!) i cheered and celebrated that '73 win with gusto. I'll never forget, Terry Looney to Darwin Willie in the endzone!
Jaxwave
Swell

Steve Foley came to the ATO house after that 1972 loss. We had a number of Jesuit guys including myself in the fraternity and he would drop by after games periodically to mostly celebrate. I was in his brother, Mike's class at Jesuit so knew him pretty well. He had stolen a girl from me in high school but no lingering hard feelings. Anyway, I digress. I sat with Steve on the stairs at the ATO house consoling him as he blamed himself for the loss due to that last play. I reminded him it was his incredible run that got us in that position to begin with. But he was inconsolable. I felt pretty confident we were going to win in 1973.
Memories aren't always accurate, but it seemed to me that on his long run Steve cut back in at about the 10 to try to score and was tackled. The clock stopped on first down and we rushed to the line and ran that last play snapping the ball with maybe 5 seconds to play. Always wondered why we didn't down the ball and get set on that last play maybe even allowing for 2 throws into the end zone.
Wave755
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:38 am Steve Foley came to the ATO house after that 1972 loss. We had a number of Jesuit guys including myself in the fraternity and he would drop by after games periodically to mostly celebrate. I was in his brother, Mike's class at Jesuit so knew him pretty well. He had stolen a girl from me in high school but no lingering hard feelings. Anyway, I digress. I sat with Steve on the stairs at the ATO house consoling him as he blamed himself for the loss due to that last play. I reminded him it was his incredible run that got us in that position to begin with. But he was inconsolable. I felt pretty confident we were going to win in 1973.
Memories aren't always accurate, but it seemed to me that on his long run Steve cut back in at about the 10 to try to score and was tackled. The clock stopped on first down and we rushed to the line and ran that last play snapping the ball with maybe 5 seconds to play. Always wondered why we didn't down the ball and get set on that last play maybe even allowing for 2 throws into the end zone.
Was "downing the ball" legal then, 1972, or was it still intentional grounding?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:44 am
Jaxwave wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:38 am Steve Foley came to the ATO house after that 1972 loss. We had a number of Jesuit guys including myself in the fraternity and he would drop by after games periodically to mostly celebrate. I was in his brother, Mike's class at Jesuit so knew him pretty well. He had stolen a girl from me in high school but no lingering hard feelings. Anyway, I digress. I sat with Steve on the stairs at the ATO house consoling him as he blamed himself for the loss due to that last play. I reminded him it was his incredible run that got us in that position to begin with. But he was inconsolable. I felt pretty confident we were going to win in 1973.
Was "downing the ball" legal then, 1972, or was it still intentional grounding?
I was about to post that. It was illegal then. You had to throw it out of bounds to stop the clock.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:41 am
winwave wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:11 am Thanks for the link. From the horses mouth just as I have posted before when this comes up every year at this time. Of course the usual suspects had to try and deny it:

Yes. And it’s one of those rare plays if you were there it’s imbedded in your brain forever. I can still see it and feel the pain. We win 10-9 if he scores and we make the PAT in ‘72.
No doubt imbedded forever. Knew leaving the stadium we were going to beat them in '73!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:59 am

No doubt imbedded forever. Knew leaving the stadium we were going to beat them in '73!
Yes for sure! Glad we had back to back home games for those two years. We can’t even get one home game anymore.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

I remember our slogan for 1973 was "one yard and closing." :D
mbissanti
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:01 am
Yes for sure! Glad we had back to back home games for those two years. We can’t even get one home game anymore.
we cannot even get an away game
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbissanti wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:32 am

True. We’d have to do a 3 for one and they might not do it.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:10 am
mbissanti wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:32 am
True. We’d have to do a 3 for one and they might not do it.
And, our one would have to be at the Superdome. :thumbdown: