Tulane VB in the NIVC Elite 8

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane crushes Cal Baptist tonight!! They survived the 1st round and came back tonight and killed it. The good news is the team has a school record 2nd round post season win and they get to host next Thursday 7pm!!!

The bad news is there were maybe 150 people on the stands. It was absolutely horrible attendance. Embarrassing. Tulane will not hold on to these coaches if they can’t fill the stands with arguably the best team in Tulane history. I won’t be surprised that Coach Barnes will get some big offers after this season. And if he leaves it will be solely because of the lack of attendance.

Show Me
Tsunami

localvb wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 pm Tulane crushes Cal Baptist tonight!! They survived the 1st round and came back tonight and killed it. The good news is the team has a school record 2nd round post season win and they get to host next Thursday 7pm!!!

The bad news is there were maybe 150 people on the stands. It was absolutely horrible attendance. Embarrassing. Tulane will not hold on to these coaches if they can’t fill the stands with arguably the best team in Tulane history. I won’t be surprised that Coach Barnes will get some big offers after this season. And if he leaves it will be solely because of the lack of attendance.
Relax. If he leaves it will be for a better paying P5 job. Not because 150 fans were in the stands tonight. Liz Kritza left for those very reasons years ago.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats!
Highlights below:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

localvb wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 pm Tulane crushes Cal Baptist tonight!! They survived the 1st round and came back tonight and killed it. The good news is the team has a school record 2nd round post season win and they get to host next Thursday 7pm!!!

It's not the fans fault. Shame on you for suggesting it. It's on Tulane to properly promote the team. The social media push doesn't cut it. You have to use traditional media to reach the masses. I hope he doesn't leave but if he does it's on the AD to make another good hire and to properly promote the program.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

I don’t know what the coach will do all I know is it’s terrible the stands aren’t full. The team just won its 27th match and is 15-1 over the last 2 months. If the public doesn’t know about it, then that just really sucks.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The AAC is not a strong volleyball conference and talking about records such as making the second round in post -season for the first time ring hollow when people know the NCAA tournament is the real deal and this tourney is very new and doesn't have much public interest.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

Wrong. It’s always between the 6-8th best Conference out of the 32. AAC got 2 in the ncaa’s The Big 12 only got 2 in this year. And the NIVC got 4 in the NiVC. The most of any league. It’s a very good conference.
Now only Cinci and Tulane remain in post season.
Just sayin. New Orleans needs to catch up with the rest of the world and support VB. Especially a winner like this team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry but that's not top dog status. You can call out the city and it's fans all you want but your just adding to the problem. Tulane need to spend money to make money . They've never gotten that.
localvb
High Tide

I agree with that 100%.
I hope Tulane wakes up.
Admin has to use this moment.
Especially get the students in there!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

From the highlights that is an embarrassingly empty arena. Yes it’s not the ncaa’s. But volleyball is a blast to watch, it’s a bunch of fit talented women kicking ass with more success than anything else at the school . . . and they have been on angilating everyone for the last 2 months

. Maybe it doesn’t need to be a line of student around the block waiting for tickets but is a half full arena too much to ask for? Also you are correct I love Troy, but this does fall on him. . . Offer free beer or tv’s or whatever- get people in the stands.

Also let’s not talk about coach leaving just yet ! Let’s keep him and build a power !!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 pm The AAC is not a strong volleyball conference and talking about records such as making the second round in post -season for the first time ring hollow when people know the NCAA tournament is the real deal and this tourney is very new and doesn't have much public interest.
The guy is also a dam w volleyball expert as well. A true renaissance man.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 am From the highlights that is an embarrassingly empty arena. Yes it’s not the ncaa’s. But volleyball is a blast to watch, it’s a bunch of fit talented women kicking ass with more success than anything else at the school . . . and they have been on angilating everyone for the last 2 months

. Maybe it doesn’t need to be a line of student around the block waiting for tickets but is a half full arena too much to ask for? Also you are correct I love Troy, but this does fall on him. . . Offer free beer or tv’s or whatever- get people in the stands.

Also let’s not talk about coach leaving just yet ! Let’s keep him and build a power !!

You nailed it!!!
I watched online and couldn’t believe I wasn’t watching at least a half full gym. It looked empty!! What the heck?!!!
Who ever is responsible for promoting this needs to step up. This is some of the best VB in the country and Tulane is the only team in the AAC still playing out of the 4 who made it. Now they are in the Elite 8. Next Thursday if Devlin isn’t packed it will be a %^%%^ shame.

Also Coach Barnes has already done the P5 thing. He is back home near family and we could keep him if supported. Don’t think an empty gym isn’t a factor. Big support keeps coaches and it attracts recruits.
Ruski
Swell

Seems to me the problem is a lack of targeted marketing. College volleyball is never gonna be super mainstream, maybe in other countries but not in the US South. But it does seem like targeting HS/Youth Volleyball would get better attendance. Seeing more focused marketing/outreach would make me feel alot better about Dannen.
green4life
Low Tide

Ruski wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:45 am Seems to me the problem is a lack of targeted marketing. College volleyball is never gonna be super mainstream, maybe in other countries but not in the US South. But it does seem like targeting HS/Youth Volleyball would get better attendance. Seeing more focused marketing/outreach would make me feel alot better about Dannen.
Agree.... If 1/2 the HS VB players were in Devlin to watch, there'd be some and energy. Even if they paid 1/2 or a buck. Though the tourney may control that. Also having other varsity sports athletes present would bbe nice.... Oh yeah and All Pan Hellenics and IFC. C'mon Greeks,! Roll Wave! And faculty!
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:45 am Seems to me the problem is a lack of targeted marketing. College volleyball is never gonna be super mainstream, maybe in other countries but not in the US South. But it does seem like targeting HS/Youth Volleyball would get better attendance. Seeing more focused marketing/outreach would make me feel alot better about Dannen.
Make it free like UNO, LSU, SELA as many other schools do. This would allow for local girls high school teams to attend. Then have Tulane specifically invite them and their coaches. That way you begin to build up from a younger fan base. Your typical Tulane fan is a white male in his 50’s or older. Sorry to say he’s not going out to a VB match on a Friday night. Neither are most people unless directly connected in some way. You need to attract a VB fan not so much a Tulane fan. I remember when Tulane had soccer I knew a few people that went because they liked soccer and it didn’t matter who was playing.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 am
winwave wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 pm The AAC is not a strong volleyball conference and talking about records such as making the second round in post -season for the first time ring hollow when people know the NCAA tournament is the real deal and this tourney is very new and doesn't have much public interest.
The guy is also a dam w volleyball expert as well. A true renaissance man.
You got something to add to the conversation or just personal attacks? I follow all Tulane sports and have taken my daughters to Tulane VB matches over the years. I also coach VB at the playground level. So put up or shut up.
localvb
High Tide

Here’s a quote from last nights win from Coach:

"We're one of eight right now and that's a great feeling in a national tournament," Barnes added of the team's postseason run. "We get to host so were really happy about that, that we get to stay home and prepare and get ready for next Thursday. We're going to do all we can to get the public to come out and see this special team. We need people in here to help us do this."

Sounds like a nice way of saying get butts in the seats!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hopefully TD helps him with the cause. Personally I'd love to take my daughter but she's playing that night. Hope they win.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Props to Tulane! FREE TICKETS!!!!
If you attend tonight's WBB or Wednesday's men's game you will also receive a free ticket to Thursday's VB match. Buy a bowl game ticket and you’ll also get in free!
Roll Wave! Fill Fogelman!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:29 pm Props to Tulane!
If you attend tonight's WBB or Wednesday's men's game you will also receive a free ticket to Thursday's VB match. Buy a bowl game ticket and you’ll also get in free!
Glad they finally listened to you. :mrgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:32 pm
free beer and pizza > SELL OUT
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm
free beer and pizza > SELL OUT
:mrgreen: Now we’re talking! :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes! My reputation at stake! Hopefully it helps attendance!
Tulane Class of 1981
localvb
High Tide

These are some great promotions!!
Hope they make a difference and get Devlin rocking Thursday night. I’m bringing people/players. Valpo is really good but Tulane can take them if they play like they can. No VB team has won 2 post season games. This team has and is going for #3!!
Then in the Final Four. I heard it would also be at Tulane!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Finally an article.

The Driving Force:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... fcad9.html