OC Doug Ruse Fired

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:04 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm I've said all along if we are going to win at this level and especially in this conference we need balance and we need to score a lot of points to win. Glad WF is recognizing that with this move. Here is a recap from when he appeared on the radio yesterday by a poster on another site:

Fritz was on the Kaare Johnson show yesterday on 1280 AM; said Coach Atkins will be the interim OC.
said he wants to beef up the passing game and will find an OC who can provide better balance. He said Tulane will always stress run but wants to be 50-50 in run/pass.
There's a huge dichotomy with a statement that Tulane will "always stress the run, but wants to be 50-50 run/pass." That makes no sense. That's not stressing the run! The SCHEME under Ruse clearly needed to be successful running the football to open up the passing game. We all want to see more points, and we all want to see a more prolific (and frankly more interesting) offense. But, as coached, this offense was successful passing when the opponents were gearing up to stop the run.

It will be interesting to see what we run in the bowl game. Probably too late to change the offense, but the play calling has to improve. Get the ball to our talented and speed guys on the outside. Even Woodie Hayes ("Mr. 4 yards and a cloud of dust") would have thought Ruse's offense was ugly.

We have McMillan and the Transfer from USM plus whatever QB recruits we sign. Let's hope we can build an offense that doesn't put us to sleep, or make it almost impossible to watch the games a second time. I'm very stoked that we're going in a different direction, and hope we can become a team that scores 30+ week in and week out.
+1,000. And Fritz’s contradictory statement suggests that even he doesn’t know what offense he wants. I can only hope that he wants something far more balanced and open than the Scrum offense that Ruse rolled out.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:04 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm I've said all along if we are going to win at this level and especially in this conference we need balance and we need to score a lot of points to win. Glad WF is recognizing that with this move. Here is a recap from when he appeared on the radio yesterday by a poster on another site:

Fritz was on the Kaare Johnson show yesterday on 1280 AM; said Coach Atkins will be the interim OC.
said he wants to beef up the passing game and will find an OC who can provide better balance. He said Tulane will always stress run but wants to be 50-50 in run/pass.
There's a huge dichotomy with a statement that Tulane will "always stress the run, but wants to be 50-50 run/pass." That makes no sense. That's not stressing the run! The SCHEME under Ruse clearly needed to be successful running the football to open up the passing game. We all want to see more points, and we all want to see a more prolific (and frankly more interesting) offense. But, as coached, this offense was successful passing when the opponents were gearing up to stop the run.

It will be interesting to see what we run in the bowl game. Probably too late to change the offense, but the play calling has to improve. Get the ball to our talented and speed guys on the outside. Even Woodie Hayes ("Mr. 4 yards and a cloud of dust") would have thought Ruse's offense was ugly.

We have McMillan and the Transfer from USM plus whatever QB recruits we sign. Let's hope we can build an offense that doesn't put us to sleep, or make it almost impossible to watch the games a second time. I'm very stoked that we're going in a different direction, and hope we can become a team that scores 30+ week in and week out.
Agree that his statement makes no sense. It's what he has said countless times since he's been hired. It's time he delivers on balance. As for our offense it hasn't been successful at all passing as per the scheme. It's little success passing has usually come on broken /extended plays and when we've played teams that just are terrible on defense. As I've said before this hiring will determine his coaching fate.

The firing is a breath of fresh air to us suffering die-hards. Too many times we've been told we don't know what we are talking about and had things stand pat only to end in disaster. Then we have to listen to blowhards like RD and Daniels try to rip us. There's not many of us true die-hards but there are no more loyal fans in the country than us, We deserve so much better.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope the play calling for our bowl game versus Ul-La includes some snaps under center. Going shotgun on 3rd or 4th down and 1 means we're starting 5 or 6 yards from picking up the first down. That has bothered me from day one of the Fritz coaching era. It's damned hard to stop a QB sneak (or even handoff) targeting a gap in the D line. When we start 5 or 6 yards from the mark we need, we give the opponent the opportunity to penetrate and stop us from even getting close to the 1st down. It's football 101.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:23 am I hope the play calling for our bowl game versus Ul-La includes some snaps under center. Going shotgun on 3rd or 4th down and 1 means we're starting 5 or 6 yards from picking up the first down. That has bothered me from day one of the Fritz coaching era. It's damned hard to stop a QB sneak (or even handoff) targeting a gap in the D line. When we start 5 or 6 yards from the mark we need, we give the opponent the opportunity to penetrate and stop us from even getting close to the 1st down. It's football 101.
DAMMIt !!!! There ya go...clouding the issue with FACT !!!!...but then again, if U line up under center, they pretty much know a sneak or between the tackles will be the play...but then again, if.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !