Tulane vs ULL Cure Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Where do you think Tulane football will go bowling in 2018?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am

Cure Bowl, Dec. 15 (Orlando, Fla.)
32%
Boca Raton Bowl, Dec. 18 (Boca Raton, Fla.)
29%
Frisco Bowl, Dec. 19 (Frisco, Texas)
9%
Gasparilla Bowl, Dec. 20 (Tampa, Fla.)
3%
Armed Forces Bowl, Dec. 22 (Fort Worth, Texas)
15%
Birmingham Bowl, Dec. 22 (Birmingham, Ala.)
6%
Military Bowl, Dec. 31 (Annapolis, Md.)
6%

Total votes: 34
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I hope Tulane is strongly lobbying in the final hours for the best bowl possible but we will happily accept whatever bowl game we are invited to.

Wave755
Tsunami

USA Today now has us at the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth on December 22nd to play Western Michigan. The 22nd is a Saturday.
Jaxwave
Swell

My prediction: Due to lack of public interest and fan base, we will be buried in the Sat 1:30 slot against ULL. That way ESPN can get the other teams with a little more interest in the stand alone week night games.
Backup prediction: Frisco bowl against a directional Michigan school that won’t fill 17,500 seat stadium and will get bad ratings but will not affect other game ratings by splitting those teams up against other opponents.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 am My prediction: Due to lack of public interest and fan base, we will be buried in the Sat 1:30 slot against ULL. That way ESPN can get the other teams with a little more interest in the stand alone week night games.
Backup prediction: Frisco bowl against a directional Michigan school that won’t fill 17,500 seat stadium and will get bad ratings but will not affect other game ratings by splitting those teams up against other opponents.
and the difference between a "directional " Michigan school and La-Laff is ?...of course there are other "directional" schools, such as UCLA, and UNLV
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 am My prediction: Due to lack of public interest and fan base, we will be buried in the Sat 1:30 slot against ULL. That way ESPN can get the other teams with a little more interest in the stand alone week night games.
Actually 17,200
https://www.dxlfriscobowl.com/the-bowl/about-the-bowl/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We won't be going to BOCA. An article in the Advocate says that game has officially been set with FIU playing Toledo.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wavemania
Surge

Also states we are most likely going to Cure Bowl to face ULL.. Hope it doesn't end up like mens basketball where Tulane can't beat any La school
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I doubt there will be more than 10,000 at this game , but then, again playing Louisiana "directional school" is just as good as playing a "directional school ' from Michigan..... what a krappy match up...rather than a game with two different geographical regions to increase TV ratings, these dumb asses match two schools with marginal viewership two hours apart...pure genuis at work...and I damn well hope, some dumb ass from Tulane monitors this post
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

Notice the article says ULALA beat Tulane “on the field” in the 2013 NOLA Bowl? A discrete reference to both the 2011 and 2013 NOLA Bowl results having been vacated for ULALA NCAA rule infractions.

If McMillan doesn’t double pump any out-routes, we will do just fine against ULALA. :D
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ccap05
Surge

Even though it is disappointing to be playing a SBC team in our first WF bowl appearance it is justified based on our record. Hopefully we will actually get some people to show up and some eyeballs and next years improved recored will justify a step up in bowl opponents.
dpm wave
Swell

RobertM320
Green Wave

dpm wave wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:10 pm Up to the minute tally

https://www.sbnation.com/a/bowl-game-sc ... 018-scores
Aresco needs to step it up a bit regarding bowl quality. How does CUSA rate a spot against a Big 12 team (First Responders Bowl, played in Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Dec 26th), while the American gets the Frisco Bowl and the Cure Bowl?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

It will be interesting to see how well ULALA travels, and other than the Hawai’i Bowl in 2002, the 1998 Liberty Bowl was the last time we travelled to a bowl game.

Our program was really “beat down” by the 16 year presidency of Scott Cowen. It will be interesting to see how many we bring to see Mickey Mouse at the Cure Bowl. And for the big Sunbelt Championship game yesterday, it looked as if ULALA brought about 3 fans to Boone, N.C.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm The Cure would be a disaster . An all Louisiana game will interest noone other than the handful, by TV standards , of fans in NO and LaLa and the rest of the world would not even know it is being played because it will be on CBS

It is unusual , but not unprecedented , to decline a bowl, as in 1929 when we declined the Rose . We have everything to lose an nothing to gain , by playing LaLa .
Lobby hard, Troy , for anywhere else . If you fail ,decline .
Gosh, you’re an idiot

Nope, lose just before National Signing Day and the disaster will be exaberated . The AAC commissioner is no fan of our Wave .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
msdos
Swell

This will be one of the lowest attended and watched bowl games, maybe ever. Too many participation trophy bowls that 6-6 teams are basically guaranteed a post-season game.

I just hope we don't go out and get embarrassed
COChip
Low Tide

Don'r get me wrong, it's better than staying home and a positive step for the program but what a crap matchup. At least match us up with someone we've never played before (and not the last bowl opponent we had). I would have been more interested in watching us play LA Tech.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I like playing rather than not playing for several reasons. Additional practices help, but also, if you win, you're 7-6, so not just a .500 team, and it looks good when someone looks at your schools recent history that they see regular bowl appearances. They don't scrutinize it and say, "Oh, they went to 8 bowl games in a row, but three of those years they were 6-6." They just see 8 straight appearances.

Example, Virginia Tech will be making its 26th consecutive bowl appearance. That's been brought up by national media numerous times. It doesn't bother anyone that 4 of the last seven, including this year, will have come after 6-6 seasons.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

COChip wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:27 pm Don'r get me wrong, it's better than staying home and a positive step for the program but what a crap matchup. At least match us up with someone we've never played before (and not the last bowl opponent we had). I would have been more interested in watching us play LA Tech.
For that same reason I would have rathered it be Eastern Michigan or Ohio in the Frisco bowl, or one prediction had us against Middle Tennessee State. I like playing someone you don't normally play in a bowl game. But the P5s have screwed that up as well. They've got it set up so there are as few opportunities as possible for a P5 to lose to a G5 in a bowl game. Its why we no longer have a tie in with the Liberty Bowl.
GreenLantern
Riptide

msdos wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:21 pm This will be one of the lowest attended and watched bowl games, maybe ever. Too many participation trophy bowls that 6-6 teams are basically guaranteed a post-season game.

And nominated for the most uplifting post of the year is......
Show Me
Tsunami

msdos wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:21 pm This will be one of the lowest attended and watched bowl games, maybe ever. Too many participation trophy bowls that 6-6 teams are basically guaranteed a post-season game.

Sad but true. This is a prime example of too many bowl games. I’m sorry but I’m old school when you had to win 8-9 games to go bowling. I have zero interest in traveling to see this. I will watch on TV with the other 6 bowls that day. :oops:
Wavetime
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am
I doubt there will be more than 10,000 at this game , but then, again playing Louisiana "directional school" is just as good as playing a "directional school ' from Michigan..... what a krappy match up...rather than a game with two different geographical regions to increase TV ratings, these dumb asses match two schools with marginal viewership two hours apart...pure genuis at work...and I damn well hope, some dumb ass from Tulane monitors this post
The only thing I can think of is that Orlando knows that Louisiana Residents travel well to Disney World. Other than that I just don't understand the match up.

That being said, I'm thankful to be bowling....
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Sad but true. This is a prime example of too many bowl games. I’m sorry but I’m old school when you had to win 8-9 games to go bowling. I have zero interest in traveling to see this. I will watch on TV with the other 6 bowls that day. :oops:
You two deserve each other. Maybe you can watch the game together and keep score as to who has the most negative comments. You can get a lot of complaining in over three and a half hours. Enjoy yourselves.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am
there is a "bright

The only thing I can think of is that Orlando knows that Louisiana Residents travel well to Disney World. Other than that I just don't understand the match up.

That being said, I'm thankful to be bowling....
there is a briught side....CAR Pooling.....ride along with your favorite LA-LAFF fan, U just have to get to I-12 or where I-10 and I-12 merge...share the expenses and save a few $$$$$
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Now we get to deal with the dainty and delicate fans from the U LA LA fan base. They will incorrectly call their second tier directional school Louisiana and UL. Since these jokers seem to not be proud of Lafayette and their Acadiana heritage by dropping Lafayette off of their name I propose that all Tulane coaches, players, fans, and Graff on the radio broadcast refer to them as either Lafayette, USL, or U LA LA.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.