Tulane vs ULL Cure Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Where do you think Tulane football will go bowling in 2018?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am

Cure Bowl, Dec. 15 (Orlando, Fla.)
32%
Boca Raton Bowl, Dec. 18 (Boca Raton, Fla.)
29%
Frisco Bowl, Dec. 19 (Frisco, Texas)
9%
Gasparilla Bowl, Dec. 20 (Tampa, Fla.)
3%
Armed Forces Bowl, Dec. 22 (Fort Worth, Texas)
15%
Birmingham Bowl, Dec. 22 (Birmingham, Ala.)
6%
Military Bowl, Dec. 31 (Annapolis, Md.)
6%

Total votes: 34
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Where do you think Tulane football will go bowling in 2018?

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Jaxwave
Swell

USA Today predicts Tulane vs Okie St in armed Forces Bowl. Good matchup in prestige. Bad matchup in style. Okie St would throw all over us. Could offense keep up?
Dave breslin
Swell

I vote for Cure bowl. It’s seems fitting that we’ve found a cure from Cowdick disease. The Gaspsrilla sound like a medicine for flatulence. Military and Armed Forces sound too tough. But I’d take Frisco so I can meet golfnut. And Frisco is known for its gay community. Sorry-wrong one!! Just go to any bowl and win it!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Instead of where I think the bowl will be held, I voted for where I would like for it to be: the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft. Worth at Amon Carter Stadium on the TCU campus. Before a medical event changed my plans, I spent two years enrolled at TCU. As a member of the AF ROTC, I didn't get to see the games, but was relegated to the underclassman's role of overseeing gameday car parking and security in the lot adjoining Amon Carter. The same parking lot was where we were instructed to 'safely' park with our dates in the evening hours while seeking a few moments of steamy privacy while under the protection of campus security. Ah, but for my misspent youth... FWIW, youthful indiscretions are physically limited in a two-seater MGB convertible.

Nevertheless, the story has a happy ending. Work returned me to Lousiana where I happily completed my undergrad at Tulane. I have fond memories of TCU and my wife is an alum. I even saw one projection where Tulane could play TCU in the Armed Forces Bowl. Please not that. I experience enough marital discord.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A weekend bowl would be great. Would love a matchup against a p5 team ! I’ll go to any of these bowls but man midweek is tough
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We should all be rooting for Ucf so we get a better bowl (they don’t take a “good” AAC tie in bowl) . Also there is an interesting scenario Guerry presented on Twitter of Alabama winning, Ohio state losing and Texas winning where Ucf could have a shot at the playoff.
aus10dixon
Ripple

I'm happy with any bowl, but I'd prefer a weekend bowl so I could actually go to the game.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 pm We should all be rooting for Ucf so we get a better bowl (they don’t take a “good” AAC tie in bowl) . Also there is an interesting scenario Guerry presented on Twitter of Alabama winning, Ohio state losing and Texas winning where Ucf could have a shot at the playoff.
There is a 0% chance after they lost their QB. The committee doesn't look strictly at resume but how the team is playing now.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:24 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 pm We should all be rooting for Ucf so we get a better bowl (they don’t take a “good” AAC tie in bowl) . Also there is an interesting scenario Guerry presented on Twitter of Alabama winning, Ohio state losing and Texas winning where Ucf could have a shot at the playoff.
There is a 0% chance after they lost their QB. The committee doesn't look strictly at resume but how the team is playing now.
Which means exactly what? According to what I've seen they've won 24 in a row. That's playing pretty good in my book. The backup QB played 1 half of one game, and that's enough to say they don't deserve to go? If Tua gets hurt in the SEC CG, does Alabama get bumped?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
IM42lane
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 pm Instead of where I think the bowl will be held, I voted for where I would like for it to be: the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft. Worth at Amon Carter Stadium on the TCU campus. Before a medical event changed my plans, I spent two years enrolled at TCU. As a member of the AF ROTC, I didn't get to see the games, but was relegated to the underclassman's role of overseeing gameday car parking and security in the lot adjoining Amon Carter. The same parking lot was where we were instructed to 'safely' park with our dates in the evening hours while seeking a few moments of steamy privacy while under the protection of campus security. Ah, but for my misspent youth... FWIW, youthful indiscretions are physically limited in a two-seater MGB convertible.

Nevertheless, the story has a happy ending. Work returned me to Lousiana where I happily completed my undergrad at Tulane. I have fond memories of TCU and my wife is an alum. I even saw one projection where Tulane could play TCU in the Armed Forces Bowl. Please not that. I experience enough marital discord.
IF Tulane got the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, would the Wave play Army? If that is the case, I vote for that game. Tulane would get a look at a 2019 opponent.

ROLL WAVE ROLL!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
OUG
Riptide

There is a zero percent chance of it happening because there is a zero percent chance that Ohio State loses to Northwestern with the CFP on the line.

But if that scenario were to play out (in some alternate universe), I think last week’s results make UCF logical, Milton or not. At that point, Georgia has two losses and leaving them as the 4 seed would mean a rematch with Bama in the playoffs in the first round (which is a bad look for everyone); Oklahoma has two losses (to the same team!); there are no one-loss Pac 12 teams and you can’t make a case for including any of their two loss teams; LSU already lost to Bama and now has three losses. Florida has three losses.

So it isn’t that the committee would want to put UCF in, but that they literally wouldn’t have anyone else that they could possibly justify. Maybe they go with Georgia in that scenario, but why would they have earned a first round rematch against Bama when they couldn’t beat them a few days before? It looks like a farce. If you give it to UCF, you quiet a lot of criticism and maybe you “prove” the assumption that the G5 doesn’t belong, so as not to have to deal with it again.

It’s a moot point, because Ohio State won’t lose. But in the specific scenario described, UCF becomes logically the only viable candidate. They’re 7th in the rankings in a scenario where 4,5,6 all lose, and the drop off to 8 and below is significant.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They can still get a NY6 Bowl, and if they beat Memphis they most likely will.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I like Milton the UCF QB and wish him a speedy and full recovery....but I also think, the Freshamn QB brings something to the table Milton does not, and that's "wheels"...I actually think UCF may be better without Milton....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
gbgreenie
Surge

Birmingham has biggest payout, 1.6 million
OUG
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm Birmingham has biggest payout, 1.6 million
I’m not sure that matters, since as far as I know the conference pools all bowl payouts and divides equally among the 12 football members.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Could be ULL in the Cure Bowl:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/cou ... iver_index

This game is on a Saturday and more importantly wouldn't interfere with NSD that week as would the Frisco and Boca Raton.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I vote for playing Army in the Military Bowl December 31st in Annapolis. Not only would we get to see a 2019 opponent, but we'd be playing them in their arch-rival's home stadium.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:53 pm Could be ULL in the Cure Bowl:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/cou ... iver_index

This game is on a Saturday and more importantly wouldn't interfere with NSD that week as would the Frisco and Boca Raton.
Orland0's certainly a cool destination, but the Cajuns are planning on returning to New Orleans again this year.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Jaxwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 pm I like Milton the UCF QB and wish him a speedy and full recovery....but I also think, the Freshamn QB brings something to the table Milton does not, and that's "wheels"...I actually think UCF may be better without Milton....
May end up better in the long run, but the backup can’t possibly be as good as McKenzie’s been this year.
Dave breslin
Swell

The ncaa won’t let UCF in the final four. It’s an image and money thing that they don’t want.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:33 pm The ncaa won’t let UCF in the final four. It’s an image and money thing that they don’t want.
Dave, the NCAA has nothing to do with this, the NCAA recognized UCF as 2017 National Champions...this is an ESPN production
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:17 am USA Today predicts Tulane vs Okie St in armed Forces Bowl. Good matchup in prestige. Bad matchup in style. Okie St would throw all over us. Could offense keep up?
Eyeballs count. This could be our best vehicle to be seen by the most eyeballs ( and people ) too ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dave breslin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:33 pm The ncaa won’t let UCF in the final four. It’s an image and money thing that they don’t want.
Here's where they're going to have an issue, although very improbable,

#8 UCF wins vs Memphis
#6 Ohio State loses vs Northwestern
#5 Oklahoma loses vs Texas
#4 Georgia loses vs Alabama.

They almost have no choice but to have UCF move to #4.

You can't move OSU or Oklahoma up after a loss. And you can't leave GA at #4, because that would bring about a rematch of GA-ALA in the semifinals, which would be bad optics. And you can't possibly jump #7 Michigan up after getting blown out by Ohio State just a week earlier.

They really should just put UCF in there, because then it might shut up us G5 fans for awhile.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 pm I like Milton the UCF QB and wish him a speedy and full recovery....but I also think, the Freshamn QB brings something to the table Milton does not, and that's "wheels"...I actually think UCF may be better without Milton....
No way.
Bad take. Go watch the game they played against ECU without Milton earlier this year
Last edited by Profoundwizard on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Can we keep this Tulane related?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)