Tulane vs ULL Cure Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Where do you think Tulane football will go bowling in 2018?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am

Cure Bowl, Dec. 15 (Orlando, Fla.)
32%
Boca Raton Bowl, Dec. 18 (Boca Raton, Fla.)
29%
Frisco Bowl, Dec. 19 (Frisco, Texas)
9%
Gasparilla Bowl, Dec. 20 (Tampa, Fla.)
3%
Armed Forces Bowl, Dec. 22 (Fort Worth, Texas)
15%
Birmingham Bowl, Dec. 22 (Birmingham, Ala.)
6%
Military Bowl, Dec. 31 (Annapolis, Md.)
6%

Total votes: 34
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 am
Bullshit 755. You and RobertM laughed at the thought of Napier actually having a good seson this year.

And just so you know I don't talk out of my ass like you, this from August 9:
RobertM320 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm Cajuns and Mississippi State open up their seasons next year in the Dome, 31 August. Should be a decent crowd, especially if Napier has a good year this year.
:lolgreen:
What's so funny.......the decent crowd part or Napier having a good season?
The Napier part is funny
And, Sagarin has ULALA about a 19.5 pt. underdog to Appy State. :P

winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 am
winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 pm
OUG wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm No one is demonizing anyone. Over the years the games that were scheduled there have not drawn the large amounts of people the AD claimed they would to justify the games.
The purpose of those games is not to sell thousands of football tickets to area alumni, it’s to provide a venue and context for the administration to solicit big money donors in that locale for the academic side. The face time that Fitts gets with 20-30 of the *right* people is all they really care about.
That didn't work out either. At the end of the day the money that got raised was by SC getting it from board members.
Are you aware that trips to the northeast and Cali are also meant to engage rich alums for academic purposes as well? It provides a convenient excuse for Fitts to have dinner/meetings about endowment contributions, then host the rich guys/girls in a suite at the game.
Are you aware that he can schedule other events there that are less costly to Tulane to do the same outreach? Especially for games that the overall fan base just doesn't have much interest in. I'll add that we haven't scheduled any in the west in a while. Then there's the fact that the endowment is way below that of supposed peers so it hasn't gone so well.

The bottom line is there is no reason to be playing Army anymore. We have Navy, Temple and UCONN in the conference in football and Temple and UCONN in basketball. So those offer plenty of chances to the PTB to have such get togethers . No need to subject our players to the dangerous O-Line blocking they face twice in a season when we play Navy every year now.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'd agree with that. We should play someone in the West from time to time. Used to play Stanford pretty regular. Other than that, not so much.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Sunamiwave
High Tide

For better national exposure I would prefer that Tulane get invited to either the Boca Raton or Frisco Bowls over the Cure Bowl. Both the Boca Raton and Frisco Bowls are on ESPN and the only college football games taking place on their respective weekday nights while the Cure Bowl is on CBS Sports Network and takes place on a Saturday during the day when a lot of people will be out doing things such as shopping for the holiday season. It really sounded like we had a great chance to go to the Boca Raton Bowl earlier this week and now later in the week the rumors seem to be that we are probably heading to the Cure Bowl.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:23 pm For better national exposure I would prefer that Tulane get invited to either the Boca Raton or Frisco Bowls over the Cure Bowl. Both the Boca Raton and Frisco Bowls are on ESPN and the only college football games taking place on their respective weekday nights while the Cure Bowl is on CBS Sports Network and takes place on a Saturday during the day when a lot of people will be out doing things such as shopping for the holiday season. It really sounded like we had a great chance to go to the Boca Raton Bowl earlier this week and now later in the week the rumors seem to be that we are probably heading to the Cure Bowl.
A question for you guys.

How much flexibility does Tulane have when it comes to where you'll play your bowl game? Can you balk at the Cure Bowl if the Cajuns end up there and expect to be placed elsewhere?

The Sun Belt has stipulated this year that the New Orleans Bowl would take the winner of the inaugural Sun Belt Championship Game and that the loser would play in the Cure Bowl. Prior to that, for the most part, it seemed like a matter of horse-trading amongst the Belt bowls to see who went where at the end of the season.

I understand preferring to face an opponent that perhaps you'd not seen in a long while, or one that you'd never faced, but at least from the Cajuns standpoint, we're pleased to be in the position we're in today regardless of the opponent..
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

None really. The conference decides based on which match-ups give the best chances to win and draw.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:56 pm None really. The conference decides based on which match-ups give the best chances to win and draw.
The conference decides SOLEY on what might lead to decent attendance and viewership. It's about money much much much more than it's about creating matchups that favor the conference. The best player in the conference, Ed Oliver, isn't even considering playing in Houston's bowl game.

Remember, these are exhibition games. For many of the "mid majors" it's their chance to shine and they get fired up and often outplay tougher competition. Many of the larger schools are almost disinterested when they go 6-6 or 7-5 and go to the XYZ bowl.

And bowl game records any given year is a HORRIBLE barometer of strength of conference.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:48 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:23 pm For better national exposure I would prefer that Tulane get invited to either the Boca Raton or Frisco Bowls over the Cure Bowl. Both the Boca Raton and Frisco Bowls are on ESPN and the only college football games taking place on their respective weekday nights while the Cure Bowl is on CBS Sports Network and takes place on a Saturday during the day when a lot of people will be out doing things such as shopping for the holiday season. It really sounded like we had a great chance to go to the Boca Raton Bowl earlier this week and now later in the week the rumors seem to be that we are probably heading to the Cure Bowl.
A question for you guys.

How much flexibility does Tulane have when it comes to where you'll play your bowl game? Can you balk at the Cure Bowl if the Cajuns end up there and expect to be placed elsewhere?

The Sun Belt has stipulated this year that the New Orleans Bowl would take the winner of the inaugural Sun Belt Championship Game and that the loser would play in the Cure Bowl. Prior to that, for the most part, it seemed like a matter of horse-trading amongst the Belt bowls to see who went where at the end of the season.

I understand preferring to face an opponent that perhaps you'd not seen in a long while, or one that you'd never faced, but at least from the Cajuns standpoint, we're pleased to be in the position we're in today regardless of the opponent..
Cajun, for the “big” Sunbelt showdown tomorrow, the money line on Appy State is -1,000! Whoa! :o And, the ESPN Power Index is Appy 91.6%! :shock:
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 pm
Cajun, for the “big” Sunbelt showdown tomorrow, the money line on Appy State is -1,000! Whoa! :o And, the ESPN Power Index is Appy 91.6%! :shock:
So who should we believe when 755 says he "couldn't care less about Cajun athletics"? Wave, or our lying eyes?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 pm
So who should we believe when 755 says he "couldn't care less about Cajun athletics"? Wave, or our lying eyes?
Cajun, it doesn’t look too good for ULALA tomorrow? :shakingno:
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 pm
Playing for a championship in Napier's first year on the job looks like a thing of beauty to me though I understand your concerns for our program. Thanks buddy., I promise we'll do the best we can.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 pm
Playing for a championship in Napier's first year on the job looks like a thing of beauty to me though I understand your concerns for our program. Thanks buddy., I promise we'll do the best we can.
Cajun, the Archbishop Rummel High School Raiders of Metairie could win the ‘Belt West Division. ;)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I guess this will be Willie’s first bowl game as a head coach. He had already left when Ga Southern played their first bowl game in 2015. And Sam Houston State went to the FCS finals, twice, with Willie, but not a bowl.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:26 pm
Cajun, the Archbishop Rummel High School Raiders of Metairie could win the ‘Belt West Division. ;)
This is good to know. Their quarterback Chandler Fields is one of Napier's Cajun football commits. Y0u're getting an A for effort 755.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 pm
This is good to know. Their quarterback Chandler Fields is one of Napier's Cajun football commits. Y0u're getting an A for effort 755.
Then the ‘Belt West is right where that Raider belongs!

And Cajun, we’ll be pulling for your guys tomorrow morning at 11:00 a.m. CST! ;)
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 pm

And Cajun, we’ll be pulling for your guys tomorrow morning at 11:00 a.m. CST! ;)
9 AM for your Nevada clients in case you're still struggling with those time zone thingys.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:34 pm
Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 pm

9 AM for your Nevada clients in case you're still struggling with those time zone thingys.
11:00 a.m. CST for Green Waves, and when the beat down is over, as a public service to the forum, I’ll post the final score. :D
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:17 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:56 pm None really. The conference decides based on which match-ups give the best chances to win and draw.
The conference decides SOLEY on what might lead to decent attendance and viewership. It's about money much much much more than it's about creating matchups that favor the conference. The best player in the conference, Ed Oliver, isn't even considering playing in Houston's bowl game.

Remember, these are exhibition games. For many of the "mid majors" it's their chance to shine and they get fired up and often outplay tougher competition. Many of the larger schools are almost disinterested when they go 6-6 or 7-5 and go to the XYZ bowl.

And bowl game records any given year is a HORRIBLE barometer of strength of conference.
The money is already fixed. Like I said it's about the best match ups the conference can get to make itself look strong and the best match-ups have the best chance to draw.It's been widely acknowledged that the conference handles it this way. As much as you think Bowl records don't matter they get a lot of attention and perception is everything.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm Cure Bowl
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... f05b4.html

Not yet.
but a university source said Saturday evening it was not yet a done deal.
Although that matchup still is likely to happen, the source said the situation had become murkier in the past 24 hours.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

This article came out 5 hours ago -- they're projecting us to the Boca Raton Bowl vs Middle Tennessee State.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/U ... #1068461_1
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I wonder what is causing the delay. I realize the official announcement isn’t until tomorrow but from The Advocate articles earlier in the week it sounded like we would know where we were going soon after the AAC championship game ended. With UCF beating Memphis as expected I’m surprised the final decision still hasn’t been made.
nawlinspete
Riptide

The Cure would be a disaster . An all Louisiana game will interest noone other than the handful, by TV standards , of fans in NO and LaLa and the rest of the world would not even know it is being played because it will be on CBS

It is unusual , but not unprecedented , to decline a bowl, as in 1929 when we declined the Rose . We have everything to lose an nothing to gain , by playing LaLa .
Lobby hard, Troy , for anywhere else . If you fail ,decline .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Profoundwizard
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm The Cure would be a disaster . An all Louisiana game will interest noone other than the handful, by TV standards , of fans in NO and LaLa and the rest of the world would not even know it is being played because it will be on CBS

It is unusual , but not unprecedented , to decline a bowl, as in 1929 when we declined the Rose . We have everything to lose an nothing to gain , by playing LaLa .
Lobby hard, Troy , for anywhere else . If you fail ,decline .
Gosh, you’re an idiot