Tulane vs ULL Cure Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Where do you think Tulane football will go bowling in 2018?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am

Cure Bowl, Dec. 15 (Orlando, Fla.)
32%
Boca Raton Bowl, Dec. 18 (Boca Raton, Fla.)
29%
Frisco Bowl, Dec. 19 (Frisco, Texas)
9%
Gasparilla Bowl, Dec. 20 (Tampa, Fla.)
3%
Armed Forces Bowl, Dec. 22 (Fort Worth, Texas)
15%
Birmingham Bowl, Dec. 22 (Birmingham, Ala.)
6%
Military Bowl, Dec. 31 (Annapolis, Md.)
6%

Total votes: 34
dpm wave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm
dpm wave wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm I like free Pabst.
I've lost all respect for dpmwave.
https://www.thisisinsider.com/best-chea ... buy-2017-9

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

:lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 am R/T (Friday PM to Sunday AM) MSY to MCO (DIRECT) on Frontier Airlines is currently LESS THAN $200.

Somebody here likes FAKE NEWS.

Details ▼
$187
Frontier
8:09 pm-10:57 pm
1h 48m
MSY to MCO
--
6:00 am-6:57 am
1h 57m
MCO to MSY
--
But their might be kids on the plane! OH NO!

I only fly about 30,000 miles a year. This year I've done close to 25000 since Labor Day. But I don't know what it's like to have a preschooler or 1st grade kid kicking your seat the whole flight, which, by my estimation is about 90 minutes (in the air) long.

You are right, DPM, there's a lot of fake news here. And there's quite a few that post under multiple screen names. But I forgive them, after all, it's human nature to get upset when the truth interferes with a wrong perception.

Screw it all. Roll Wave. Win the damned game against an opponent that beat us the last time we played them in a bowl game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for those not wanting to fly into Orlando...fly into tampa and drive the 80 miles to orlando
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:32 pm for those not wanting to fly into Orlando...fly into tampa and drive the 80 miles to orlando
Or Daytona or Melbourne. Both are less than 80 miles away. Florida has no shortage of airports. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that devoting a weekend for a 6-6 team to play in a bowl few college football fans will care about.

BTW for anEngineer: I know absolutely nothing more about the Orlando airport now than I did when my daughter transferred to UCF three years ago. I've been there more in the first 15 years of this decade by a wide margin than I have in the last 3. It's a HUGE conference location, possibly hosting the most conferences in the nation (if not Vegas).
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:32 pm for those not wanting to fly into Orlando...fly into tampa and drive the 80 miles to orlando
Or Daytona or Melbourne. Both are less than 80 miles away. Florida has no shortage of airports. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that devoting a weekend for a 6-6 team to play in a bowl few college football fans will care about.

BTW for anEngineer: I know absolutely nothing more about the Orlando airport now than I did when my daughter transferred to UCF three years ago. I've been there more in the first 15 years of this decade by a wide margin than I have in the last 3. It's a HUGE conference location, possibly hosting the most conferences in the nation (if not Vegas).
And which airport are you using to get to the game ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CJ happy
https://www.nola.com/sports/2018/12/cur ... -game.html
“I’m happy for them,” Johnson said. “They deserve it. A lot of those kids (I knew) are still playing. I think the coach has done a magnificent job.”
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 pm CJ happy
https://www.nola.com/sports/2018/12/cur ... -game.html
“I’m happy for them,” Johnson said. “They deserve it. A lot of those kids (I knew) are still playing. I think the coach has done a magnificent job.”
CJ, a class act and nice guy. And, oh how I hope our Saints and CJ make another trip to the Super Bowl..
BC Wave
Swell

An urgent plea!:

Please, if you are able, support the Wave and go to the game!

Don’t like Orlando airport? Try Sanford or Tampa

Or drive — 9 hour drive is no worse than a 6 hour, one stop flight.

We’ve been to one bowlin twenty years — please do what you can to get to this game!

Thank you.
Wave QB
Swell

Class act. CJ is a good guy. I rooted for him to do well, but I got off the bandwagon once he showed us that he was too much of a nice guy to fire his staff. I do think CJ would have fared better if we would have stayed in C-USA. The transition wasn’t easy. Our 6-6 record this year under Fritz is more impressive that many of you give him credit for. This team could have easily threw in the towel after some disappointing losses. Beating South Florida and Memphis was a big deal in becoming bowl eligible.

Support Fritz and our kids.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 am Class act. CJ is a good guy. I rooted for him to do well, but I got off the bandwagon once he showed us that he was too much of a nice guy to fire his staff. I do think CJ would have fared better if we would have stayed in C-USA. The transition wasn’t easy. Our 6-6 record this year under Fritz is more impressive that many of you give him credit for. This team could have easily threw in the towel after some disappointing losses. Beating South Florida and Memphis was a big deal in becoming bowl eligible.

I agree on all counts. One thing that impressed me was Willie’s lack of fear to change. He benched a Sr QB and he fired his longtime OC. Two moves that not too many past Tulane coaches would have done. Both those wins were impressive and without them we’d be sitting at 4-8 for sure and WF would be on the 2019 Hot Seat list. Credit to all the coaches and players for not throwing in the towel when we were 2-5. One other thing of note. UCF, USF, Temple and Cincy were in a “Power” Conference (the Big East) not long ago so they have a built in head start on talent over the rest of the league. We are slowly catching up.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

Haven’t seen anything from Tulane on a travel package. We had a blast in Memphis 1998 and Tulane made a bundle putting together a package. Big opportunity blown here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 am
Wave QB wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 am Class act. CJ is a good guy. I rooted for him to do well, but I got off the bandwagon once he showed us that he was too much of a nice guy to fire his staff. I do think CJ would have fared better if we would have stayed in C-USA. The transition wasn’t easy. Our 6-6 record this year under Fritz is more impressive that many of you give him credit for. This team could have easily threw in the towel after some disappointing losses. Beating South Florida and Memphis was a big deal in becoming bowl eligible.

I agree on all counts. One thing that impressed me was Willie’s lack of fear to change. He benched a Sr QB and he fired his longtime OC. Two moves that not too many past Tulane coaches would have done. Both those wins were impressive and without them we’d be sitting at 4-8 for sure and WF would be on the 2019 Hot Seat list. Credit to all the coaches and players for not throwing in the towel when we were 2-5. One other thing of note. UCF, USF, Temple and Cincy were in a “Power” Conference (the Big East) not long ago so they have a built in head start on talent over the rest of the league. We are slowly catching up.
Good points. Especially the coaching change because we had had to hear so many times about being the only staff that hadn't changed for three straight years and how loyal he is. Pleasant surprise. As to the former status of those other schools they have been removed from that for 6 years and we have been in the same league with them for 5 years. Their former conference was the least of those BCS conferences and didn't bring in near what the current P5 teams get. So like basketball the further removed from that period the lesser they become. Part of the reason the conference was down this year. So while that may have been a valid excuse when we first joined it's not anymore.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 am

Good points. Especially the coaching change because we had had to hear so many times about being the only staff that hadn't changed for three straight years and how loyal he is. Pleasant surprise. As to the former status of those other schools they have been removed from that for 6 years and we have been in the same league with them for 5 years. Their former conference was the least of those BCS conferences and didn't bring in near what the current P5 teams get. So like basketball the further removed from that period the lesser they become. Part of the reason the conference was down this year. So while that may have been a valid excuse when we first joined it's not anymore.
I agree on all counts, but do feel that UCF and USF had a head start, as did most of the rest of the conference from the day that Willie Fritz arrived. It's taken time, but we're slowly catching up. It would have been easy (and typical Tulane) to fold the tent, especially falling behind big at Tulsa when we were 2-5 with only one FBS win. The coaching change was a very pleasant surprise, and I'm looking forward to see what our O looks like next year, and how well the new OC can recruit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ok, it's my turn to whine and other's to attack me for doing so!

Saturday, during the UCF vs. Memphis game, I priced airfare to Orlando. I could take a very early flight and come back late Sunday for $327 on JetBlue from Westchester to Orlando. Last night same flights were $475. And to make matters worse, my daughter won't be there (and I'll see her from the 20th to 30th.) Going from LGA is not an option with construction and too many flights this fall for me.

I'm doubtful, so have at it gang!

ROLL WAVE!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 pm Ok, it's my turn to whine and other's to attack me for doing so!

Saturday, during the UCF vs. Memphis game, I priced airfare to Orlando. I could take a very early flight and come back late Sunday for $327 on JetBlue from Westchester to Orlando. Last night same flights were $475. And to make matters worse, my daughter won't be there (and I'll see her from the 20th to 30th.) Going from LGA is not an option with construction and too many flights this fall for me.

I'm doubtful, so have at it gang!

ROLL WAVE!
All good, no attacks. I could have barely made it work with my schedule to travel to Orlando for the game, but the matchup to me leaves much desired IMO. And yes, prices keep going up while options keep going down. All good, I'm looking forward to making a big pot of gumbo, inviting some friends, and watching it on the big screen.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Question for the board: What do you think about giving Jonathan Banks the first series, with him knowing he's on the bench after? It would honor what he did, including getting beat up behind a porous O-Line, and giving us his best for two years. I think the team is MUCH improved with McMillan at the helm, but Banks gave us all he had.

I would also love to see a few plays NOT in the shotgun formation. We need a couple, particularly short yardage plays, that they haven't seen. QB sneak from under center taking advantage of a gap is almost impossible to stop on 3rd or 4th and 1. It drove me nuts that we started 4 or 5 yards back on those plays each and every time.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 pm I like Milton the UCF QB and wish him a speedy and full recovery....but I also think, the Freshamn QB brings something to the table Milton does not, and that's "wheels"...I actually think UCF may be better without Milton....
No way.
Bad take. Go watch the game they played against ECU without Milton earlier this year
Hey Golf, you still taking Mack over McKenzie?
Laughable.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:34 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 pm I like Milton the UCF QB and wish him a speedy and full recovery....but I also think, the Freshamn QB brings something to the table Milton does not, and that's "wheels"...I actually think UCF may be better without Milton....
No way.
Bad take. Go watch the game they played against ECU without Milton earlier this year
Laughable.
I posted that before they played Memphis for the Championship and if I remeber correctly they made one hell of a comeback to win the Championship...U did not ask if it was laughable then
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:34 pm
No way.
Laughable.
I posted that before they played Memphis for the Championship and if I remeber correctly they made one hell of a comeback to win the Championship...U did not ask if it was laughable then
I sure did. Literally in the quotes above I said it was a bad take. Mack isn’t half the QB Milton is.
Wavetime
Swell

UCF will be in trouble next year with this QB. He's just not accurate.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm UCF will be in trouble next year with this QB. He's just not accurate.
word is Milton will return...on the brite side, out of all my evaulations, I have only been wrong once !!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:20 pm
Wavetime wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm UCF will be in trouble next year with this QB. He's just not accurate.
word is Milton will return...on the brite side, out of all my evaulations, I have only been wrong once !!!
During the game today, the announcer indicated that Milton would sit the entire 2019 season while recuperating and would return the following year. That's quite a period to put your career on hold. There's also uncertainty about whether he will be physically capable of returning.
greenie78
Riptide

Milton’s done.