Tulane vs ULL Cure Bowl

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Where do you think Tulane football will go bowling in 2018?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am

Cure Bowl, Dec. 15 (Orlando, Fla.)
32%
Boca Raton Bowl, Dec. 18 (Boca Raton, Fla.)
29%
Frisco Bowl, Dec. 19 (Frisco, Texas)
9%
Gasparilla Bowl, Dec. 20 (Tampa, Fla.)
3%
Armed Forces Bowl, Dec. 22 (Fort Worth, Texas)
15%
Birmingham Bowl, Dec. 22 (Birmingham, Ala.)
6%
Military Bowl, Dec. 31 (Annapolis, Md.)
6%

Total votes: 34
Profoundwizard
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 pm Can we keep this Tulane related?
Why can’t we just allow free flowing conversations to occur?

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 pm Can we keep this Tulane related?
Why can’t we just allow free flowing conversations to occur?
We can. I was hoping this poll/thread would stay Tulane related. Nothing stopping other general bowl threads.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:53 pm Could be ULL in the Cure Bowl:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/cou ... iver_index

This game is on a Saturday and more importantly wouldn't interfere with NSD that week as would the Frisco and Boca Raton.
WGNO’s Ed Daniels reported that last night as well. I wouldn’t think a huge amount of Tulane fans would be interested in traveling to Orlando to see us play ULL. I’d happily go see that in the New Orleans Bowl in the Dome though. If it goes down then we need to win for recruiting purposes. It would be better if ULL wins this weekend and we won’t have to play them. Instead we’d get Appalachian St.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:47 am

This game is on a Saturday and more importantly wouldn't interfere with NSD that week as would the Frisco and Boca Raton.
WGNO’s Ed Daniels reported that last night as well. I wouldn’t think a huge amount of Tulane fans would be interested in traveling to Orlando to see us play ULL. I’d happily go see that in the New Orleans Bowl in the Dome though. If it goes down then we need to win for recruiting purposes. It would be better if ULL wins this weekend and we won’t have to play them. Instead we’d get Appalachian St.
I can’t see ULL beating Appy St. I tend to agree otherwise.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hear ya but let's be honest there aren't going to be a lot of people traveling to see us in any out of state Bowl game. The best part of that Bowl Game is it's on a Saturday and doesn't interfere with NSD.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:14 am

I hear ya but let's be honest there aren't going to be a lot of people traveling to see us in any out of state Bowl game. The best part of that Bowl Game is it's on a Saturday and doesn't interfere with NSD.
One thing to keep in mind, we have a lot of alums around the country. I would think no matter where we go, a number of the local alums would consider going. There's a ton of alums in South Florida.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

That’s the early signing date. I don’t think it would have much impact even if we were playing on Dec 19th. You’re talking about a fax machine and a Tulane official picking up a sheet of paper. I believe the Feb 2019 NSD is still the big day for G5’s like Tulane. I also think the bigger names will wait to sign on that day with the P5’s.
For selfish reasons I’d prefer a bowl closer to Louisiana if possible for driving availability.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:24 am

One thing to keep in mind, we have a lot of alums around the country. I would think no matter where we go, a number of the local alums would consider going. There's a ton of alums in South Florida.
That argument is always used to say we have to play in the NY area or here or there to please the alums. Yet we end up with very small turnouts. I hope we have a good turnout for the Bowl game but realistically I doubt it. People wouldn't even bother to come to the home games. Hopefully WF follows through on the philosophical change and offense and all that changes next season.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am

That’s the early signing date. I don’t think it would have much impact even if we were playing on Dec 19th. You’re talking about a fax machine and a Tulane official picking up a sheet of paper. I believe the Feb 2019 NSD is still the big day for G5’s like Tulane. I also think the bigger names will wait to sign on that day with the P5’s.
For selfish reasons I’d prefer a bowl closer to Louisiana if possible for driving availability.
IIRC we signed the bulk of our class as did most others in the early period. I think the coaches would differ with you .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I’m torn. It’s easy for me to convince friends to come back to New Orleans for a bowl game (ie the one time we went to NOLA bowl). I think I could get a good number to go to Florida . . . But not mid week. Who can travel midweek out of state ?

This isn’t an excuse and I myself and several others will still be there. . . But a midweek bowl doesn’t seem like a recipe for successs.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:27 pm

That argument is always used to say we have to play in the NY area or here or there to please the alums. Yet we end up with very small turnouts. I hope we have a good turnout for the Bowl game but realistically I doubt it. People wouldn't even bother to come to the home games. Hopefully WF follows through on the philosophical change and offense and all that changes next season.
In nyc and la the alums events are well attended, I have attended many. I went to a crawfish boil in nyc this summer on a 100 degree day and there must have been 500 people there ( and the tickets were ridiculously expensive). In nyc people get together regularly to watch Tulane games in the city despite our perpetual losing. I can only imagine what would happen if the norm was 7-5, 8-4, 9&3 and occasional conference championships. All things considered people stay relatively engaged on the coasts despite the narrative that demonizes all of the out of state Tulane alums
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one is demonizing anyone. Over the years the games that were scheduled there have not drawn the large amounts of people the AD claimed they would to justify the games.
OUG
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm No one is demonizing anyone. Over the years the games that were scheduled there have not drawn the large amounts of people the AD claimed they would to justify the games.
The purpose of those games is not to sell thousands of football tickets to area alumni, it’s to provide a venue and context for the administration to solicit big money donors in that locale for the academic side. The face time that Fitts gets with 20-30 of the *right* people is all they really care about.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 am

Right now Appy St. is a 16.5 pt. favorite over ULALA. And, the game is at Boone, North Carolina.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm No one is demonizing anyone. Over the years the games that were scheduled there have not drawn the large amounts of people the AD claimed they would to justify the games.
The purpose of those games is not to sell thousands of football tickets to area alumni, it’s to provide a venue and context for the administration to solicit big money donors in that locale for the academic side. The face time that Fitts gets with 20-30 of the *right* people is all they really care about.
That didn't work out either. At the end of the day the money that got raised was by SC getting it from board members.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If the bowl game in Orlando was on a weekend, I'd consider going to it. But mid week is a no way for me. I still hope for the Military Bowl vs. Army on Dec 31st.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:08 am If the bowl game in Orlando was on a weekend, I'd consider going to it. But mid week is a no way for me. I still hope for the Military Bowl vs. Army on Dec 31st.
Dave, if you're talking about the Cure Bowl in Orlando, that one will be played on Saturday 15 December. Kickoff is at 1:30PM EST.

Rumors are that Tulane may be assigned that bowl though I suspect the decision won't be made until after the Cajuns and App State play their game tomorrow as the loser of that game will go to the Cure Bowl, the winner to the New Orleans Bowl. I would imagine that Tulane has expressed a disinterest in playing there if the Cajuns end up in that game, which I understand. We promise to do our best to end up in New Orleans.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 am

As Wave755 points out, obviously after having stumbled across the betting line on our game, App State is the heavy favorite and rightfully so. They're the class of the conference this year. Having said that, I'd image that few here thought we'd be playing in the championship game.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:44 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:08 am If the bowl game in Orlando was on a weekend, I'd consider going to it. But mid week is a no way for me. I still hope for the Military Bowl vs. Army on Dec 31st.
Dave, if you're talking about the Cure Bowl in Orlando, that one will be played on Saturday 15 December. Kickoff is at 1:30PM EST.

Rumors are that Tulane may be assigned that bowl though I suspect the decision won't be made until after the Cajuns and App State play their game tomorrow as the loser of that game will go to the Cure Bowl, the winner to the New Orleans Bowl. I would imagine that Tulane has expressed a disinterest in playing there if the Cajuns end up in that game, which I understand. We promise to do our best to end up in New Orleans.
If we play the Cajuns there, I'll meet you there!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I've heard the Cure Bowl rumor as well...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 am I've heard the Cure Bowl rumor as well...
Tulane's website has Dec 15th penciled in for bowl info may be a clue. Besides that it may depend on the UCF/Memphis game. If UCF gets upset it could cause a bowl shift . One other thought. The AAC is contractually tied to ESPN. but CBS Sorts Network owns the TV rights to the Cure Bowl. Only one or so more days until we know for sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 pm
OUG wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:42 pm
That didn't work out either. At the end of the day the money that got raised was by SC getting it from board members.
Are you aware that trips to the northeast and Cali are also meant to engage rich alums for academic purposes as well? It provides a convenient excuse for Fitts to have dinner/meetings about endowment contributions, then host the rich guys/girls in a suite at the game.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am As Wave755 points out, obviously after having stumbled across the betting line on our game, App State is the heavy favorite and rightfully so. They're the class of the conference this year. Having said that, I'd image that few here thought we'd be playing in the championship game.
Actually, since Appy State & Troy are both in the Mighty 'Belt East Division, ULALA beating out Ark. St., ULM, So. Alabama & Texas State for the West Division "crown" was quite predictable. And, since Sagarin ranks Appy St. 45, ULALA 111, enough said.
Bigschtick
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Exactly, we have a lot of alums in N.O. but does that increase home game attendance! No.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:08 am
cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am As Wave755 points out, obviously after having stumbled across the betting line on our game, App State is the heavy favorite and rightfully so. They're the class of the conference this year. Having said that, I'd image that few here thought we'd be playing in the championship game.
Actually, since Appy State & Troy are both in the Mighty 'Belt East Division, ULALA beating out Ark. St., ULM, So. Alabama & Texas State for the West Division "crown" was quite predictable. And, since Sagarin ranks Appy St. 45, ULALA 111, enough said.
Bullshit 755. You and RobertM laughed at the thought of Napier actually having a good seson this year.

And just so you know I don't talk out of my ass like you, this from August 9:
RobertM320 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm Cajuns and Mississippi State open up their seasons next year in the Dome, 31 August. Should be a decent crowd, especially if Napier has a good year this year.
:lolgreen:
What's so funny.......the decent crowd part or Napier having a good season?
The Napier part is funny