2019 FB Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 am Tulane needs to forget lsu...just as texas A/M has told UT, they have moved on...so should Tulane..Tulane needs to schedule an instate FCS team each year, and one PEE team each year and one border state state team each year...if ya build a winner, people will show up, the responsibility for a sound and winning program is Tulane's....at one time Memphis State, UCF, USF, UH, Baylor, TCU could not get people in the stands, now they all draw good size crowds..WIN and people will attend,.... at one time you could walk up at a UT game and sit on the 50 yard line, tickets were so easy to get, I know because my wife and I did it several times ...move on from lsu...those days have passed, time to move forward
Agreed. Let’s talk about them when we have won a few AAC titles or put together a consistent 9-10 win program. A Louisiana FCS, Sun Belt , C-USA and lower tier P5 program should stay on the menu.

These programs should be the only options at this point. (In order)

FCS:
Any Louisiana Program

Sun Belt:
ULL, ULM, USA, Texas State,

C-USA:
La Tech, USM, UTSA, Rice, UTEP, FIU, FAU,

ACC:
Wake Forest, Duke, UNC, Louisville,

Big 12:
Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State, TCU,

SEC:
Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi State
Less Miles would love to play in NOLA..so would Baylor and TCU

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:36 am
winwave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 am
Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 am
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm I want to see Tulane get to the point where we can become our own draw.

I think our win percentage is a bigger issue than our SOS. There is ZERO benefit to Tulane overscheduling.

One nasty nonconference game is good. Need to consistently get to 8 or 9 wins a year.
Sorry but that's Dicksonian thinking. Dumbing down the schedule to just get to a certain number of wins fools no one and will not help draw fans. I'm not advocating playing Ohio St., Oklahoma, Bama and Clemson as our OOC every year. If we progress like we should this year then it's time to drop the FCS game. Bring on TCU and teams like that. We want respect and we want fans we have to earn it. That's the only way we start drawing crowds.
The problem back then wasn't the SOS. It was an uncommited admin and piss poor coaching. The program was going to lose regardless of opponent. This team is average now - it used to not be that way.

As far as P5 games go, we seem to compete against most ACC teams just fine. I would avoid the top half of the SEC West.

Most of the Pac 12 is a good challenge for us.

I went to school from 06 to 11. I only remember two P5 wins in my life. Rutgers and MSU (they had Croom and didn't recruit like they do now)
That wasn't my point. Trying to fool people by scheduling weak to get to 8 wins won't fool anyone.That's what Dickson would do. That's what we are trying in baseball this year. It's not working. The crowds are small despite the record and the great hitting. That's because people saw us go 1-5 against good teams and then rack up wins against weak opposition.

Fans want to come out to see a winner. Our problem hasn’t been scheduling in football, it’s been coaching. I have no problem with scheduling a FCS, but I would only bring in teams from Louisiana. Those games cut a check to division I-aa programs, and they help us become 1 more game closer to a bowl trip. An American Conference team playing for a national title is out of the question in the current format. So why schedule like we are trying to impress voters? We should always attempt to get 1 big name opponent on our schedule, but every else outside of the American needs to be against opponents who we have a good shot at beating. Recruits will play for a 8-4 team over a 2-10 team.
That's classic Rick Dickson thinking. Playing a weak schedule to get to 8-4 will not noticeably improve attendance. The only way our attendance sees a true rises to win at least 10 every year and against a better schedule. I know we all like trying to help Aresco promote the AAC as a Power conference but it's not. This is not a killer conference and who we play in it doesn't draw much interest. If UCF had beaten LSU and had Milton at QB it would draw well here but they didn't and they won't so it just won't register unless we are undefeated. So if we want to get fans attention we need to drop the FCS game and toughen up the OOC.
I respectfully disagree. An 8-4 season would increase our attendance. 9-10 wins would increase it significantly. This is not an era where kids beg for games vs Texas at home. They just want to see a winning home team. There is no way our numbers look the same with a winning product.
Following your plan would not result in a noticeable uptick in attendance. Not against the type of scheduling you propose. People aren’t fooled by it. We did that the year we we went Bowling for the first time in over a decade under CJ and attendance didn’t improve at all. No one said we have to play Bama and Clemson. You know that as I clearly said that. TCU and similar schools will do.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think the sweet spot is in the middle. I agree 8-4 or 9-
10 win seasons will make a big difference. Also there’s no reason to give up the fcs game. Once we start winning, having an interesting schedule will become more important. Looking ahead we have a nice mix of peer universities (northwestern) and regional interests (ole miss). Our conference, while not as interesting (or full of name brands) as the ACC or PAC, is interesting on its own with some good brands (UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, etc).
nawlinspete
Riptide

We need to , no , we must play OOC games against teams locals want to see play . That screams LSU . And yells Ole Miss , State, Bama , Notre Dame , Texas , aTm , Florida , GT , and a BIG10 and PAC12 game or three.

In other words, we should be in the SEC STILL , but that is a story for another day.

We are damaging ourselves by scheduling the likes of FIU, FAU, South Alabama, Southern and others who move no needle nationally or regionally even .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 pm We need to , no , we must play OOC games against teams locals want to see play . That screams LSU . And yells Ole Miss , State, Bama , Notre Dame , Texas , aTm , Florida , GT , and a BIG10 and PAC12 game or three.

In other words, we should be in the SEC STILL , but that is a story for another day.

We are damaging ourselves by scheduling the likes of FIU, FAU, South Alabama, Southern and others who move no needle nationally or regionally even .
Pete with all respect,, Ole Miss, Ms State, Bama, Florida, Auburn have no reason to come to NOLA, they already play in BR and for them that is close enuff for any recruiting they need in Louisiana.......Tulane can use FAU, FIU because it needs to recruit Florida, they really could use TCU and Baylor becasue Tulane needs to recruit Texas... and TCU and Baylor have a need for some Louisiana recruits,.... plus it gives Tulane a chance to perform for the Big 12
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 pm I think the sweet spot is in the middle. I agree 8-4 or 9-
10 win seasons will make a big difference. Also there’s no reason to give up the fcs game. Once we start winning, having an interesting schedule will become more important. Looking ahead we have a nice mix of peer universities (northwestern) and regional interests (ole miss). Our conference, while not as interesting (or full of name brands) as the ACC or PAC, is interesting on its own with some good brands (UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, etc).
As to getting rid of the FCS game I go back to what I posted above that we should do that IF we progress the way most here believe we will this season and get to 8 wins. 8-4 against this won't help us get a noticeable uptick attendance wise but it will hopefully help with recruiting and lead to getting to that 10 win plateau. We have to be striving to getting to 10 or more wins a year against a tougher schedule. At that point the FCS game is not going to help us.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MOST teams in FBS play an FCS game. Even the big boys. Why limit it to only Louisiana schools? If we scheduled the perennial FCS powers we might lose, that's the only reason I can see. And I don't think that's not a good reason, along with helping out an in-state institution. We need that FCS win, just as the big boys do that schedule them years in advance. I would also add GSU to the list of SunBelt teams while we have Willie Fritz. They would bring fans if we could fit them in the next two or three years here, one game there and another here in the late 2020's.

There needs to be a fine balance with our OOC scheduling, going 0-4 OOC would give us little shot at improving and drawing fans to the program in the eyes of the consumers. That doesn't mean dumbying down the schedule, it means schedule realistically with programs folks want to see.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Big teams play them to get a break from all the tough competition they face every year. As to us as I've said several times in this thread we only need to do it if we show the progress we expect this year. After this year we shouldn't be worrying about cobbling together 6 wins against weak opposition just to get Bowl eligible. I'm not talking about being the program we've ben for so long. I'm talking about t=what I hope we'll be starting this season.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 am
oliveandblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm I want to see Tulane get to the point where we can become our own draw.

I think our win percentage is a bigger issue than our SOS. There is ZERO benefit to Tulane overscheduling.

One nasty nonconference game is good. Need to consistently get to 8 or 9 wins a year.
Sorry but that's Dicksonian thinking. Dumbing down the schedule to just get to a certain number of wins fools no one and will not help draw fans. I'm not advocating playing Ohio St., Oklahoma, Bama and Clemson as our OOC every year. If we progress like we should this year then it's time to drop the FCS game. Bring on TCU and teams like that. We want respect and we want fans we have to earn it. That's the only way we start drawing crowds.
The problem back then wasn't the SOS. It was an uncommited admin and piss poor coaching. The program was going to lose regardless of opponent. This team is average now - it used to not be that way.

As far as P5 games go, we seem to compete against most ACC teams just fine. I would avoid the top half of the SEC West.

I went to school from 06 to 11. I only remember two P5 wins in my life. Rutgers and MSU (they had Croom and didn't recruit like they do now)
That wasn't my point. Trying to fool people by scheduling weak to get to 8 wins won't fool anyone.That's what Dickson would do. That's what we are trying in baseball this year. It's not working. The crowds are small despite the record and the great hitting. That's because people saw us go 1-5 against good teams and then rack up wins against weak opposition.

Fans want to come out to see a winner. Our problem hasn’t been scheduling in football, it’s been coaching. I have no problem with scheduling a FCS, but I would only bring in teams from Louisiana. Those games cut a check to division I-aa programs, and they help us become 1 more game closer to a bowl trip. An American Conference team playing for a national title is out of the question in the current format. So why schedule like we are trying to impress voters? We should always attempt to get 1 big name opponent on our schedule, but every else outside of the American needs to be against opponents who we have a good shot at beating. Recruits will play for a 8-4 team over a 2-10 team.
That's classic Rick Dickson thinking. Playing a weak schedule to get to 8-4 will not noticeably improve attendance. The only way our attendance sees a true rises to win at least 10 every year and against a better schedule. I know we all like trying to help Aresco promote the AAC as a Power conference but it's not. This is not a killer conference and who we play in it doesn't draw much interest. If UCF had beaten LSU and had Milton at QB it would draw well here but they didn't and they won't so it just won't register unless we are undefeated. So if we want to get fans attention we need to drop the FCS game and toughen up the OOC.
I respectfully disagree. An 8-4 season would increase our attendance. 9-10 wins would increase it significantly. This is not an era where kids beg for games vs Texas at home. They just want to see a winning home team. There is no way our numbers look the same with a winning product.
Following your plan would not result in a noticeable uptick in attendance. Not against the type of scheduling you propose. People aren’t fooled by it. We did that the year we we went Bowling for the first time in over a decade under CJ and attendance didn’t improve at all. No one said we have to play Bama and Clemson. You know that as I clearly said that. TCU and similar schools will do.

Man, CJ really F’d all of that up. Tanner Lee, Price and McDonell stunk and all should have been canned! The 2013 schedule actually helped the excitement of Yulman and the AAC. Had CJ not been such a nice/sweet bible school teacher and made better decisions, we would have been on a different road. The excitement leading into the Tulsa game in 2014 was very real. You do remember the pregame excitement of the Georgia Tech game as well. Had we not went bowling in 2013, the hype wouldn’t have been there. We just failed to capitalize on that momentum. I supported that schedule, but we should have beat UTSA and USA that year and had a 9 win season with a different bowl game. It was coaching, not scheduling.

I agree that we need to have a few weak opponents here and there, but I don’t feel that we shouldn’t face the big boys as well. I want to see a P5 beast at least every other year.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 am Tulane needs to forget lsu...just as texas A/M has told UT, they have moved on...so should Tulane..Tulane needs to schedule an instate FCS team each year, and one PEE team each year and one border state state team each year...if ya build a winner, people will show up, the responsibility for a sound and winning program is Tulane's....at one time Memphis State, UCF, USF, UH, Baylor, TCU could not get people in the stands, now they all draw good size crowds..WIN and people will attend,.... at one time you could walk up at a UT game and sit on the 50 yard line, tickets were so easy to get, I know because my wife and I did it several times ...move on from lsu...those days have passed, time to move forward
Agreed. Let’s talk about them when we have won a few AAC titles or put together a consistent 9-10 win program. A Louisiana FCS, Sun Belt , C-USA and lower tier P5 program should stay on the menu.

FCS:
Any Louisiana Program

Sun Belt:

C-USA:

ACC:

Big 12:

SEC:

I wouldn’t shy away from playing the big boys every other year along with some weaker opponents. We aren’t where we need to be for scheduling too many big boys. Some folks want tougher teams, but fans aren’t interested in a Green Wave team coming into conference play with a losing record. We want to know that we are 3 games away from becoming bowl eligible before the heat of conference play. Once we build a winner, (and I believe Fritz will do it), then we can up our image.
Ball Sumrall!
GreenLantern
Riptide

What Eaglewave said.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm What Eaglewave said.
+1

We've had three winning seasons in this century. Win 8 games five years in a row, with 2 seasons of 10 wins, then we talk about getting a top 50 schedule. We're still WAY under .500 in conference. We all want to get into top 25 contention regularly. We're a long way from being there at this time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Man, CJ really F’d all of that up. Tanner Lee, Price and McDonell stunk and all should have been canned! The 2013 schedule actually helped the excitement of Yulman and the AAC. Had CJ not been such a nice/sweet bible school teacher and made better decisions, we would have been on a different road. The excitement leading into the Tulsa game in 2014 was very real. You do remember the pregame excitement of the Georgia Tech game as well. Had we not went bowling in 2013, the hype wouldn’t have been there. We just failed to capitalize on that momentum. I supported that schedule, but we should have beat UTSA and USA that year and had a 9 win season with a different bowl game. It was coaching, not scheduling.

I agree that we need to have a few weak opponents here and there, but I don’t feel that we shouldn’t face the big boys as well. I want to see a P5 beast at least every other year.
The hype was there because it was the first game in the stadium. It had nothing to do with 2013. All momentum from then was lost when ULL beat us. That schedule sucked and it's why it didn't improve attendance.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:59 pm

FCS:
Any Louisiana Program

Sun Belt:

C-USA:

ACC:

Big 12:

SEC:

I wouldn’t shy away from playing the big boys every other year along with some weaker opponents. We aren’t where we need to be for scheduling too many big boys. Some folks want tougher teams, but fans aren’t interested in a Green Wave team coming into conference play with a losing record. We want to know that we are 3 games away from becoming bowl eligible before the heat of conference play. Once we build a winner, (and I believe Fritz will do it), then we can up our image.
Again I premised my position on us making the progress this season that most of believe we'll make. Fans aren't interested in us beating cupcakes. That's Dicksonian thinking that has failed miserably. Saying don't play an FCS once we progress doesn't equal saying play Bama, Clemson and such. TCU and the such will be beatable at that point and will draw attention, attendance and better recruits.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:03 am
Eaglewave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 pm

The hype was there because it was the first game in the stadium. It had nothing to do with 2013. All momentum from then was lost when ULL beat us. That schedule sucked and it's why it didn't improve attendance.

With all of us debating Yulman and the CowDick system, the hype wasn’t there when Yulman was announced. Especially when it ended going down a smaller “Pan American” visiting side route. The Georgia Tech home opener would have turned out to be a fan disaster had we not had some type of winning talk before hand. If we wouldn’t have won 7 games in 2013, there wouldn’t have been any hype leading into that Tulsa game, and the tailgating/ticket sales wouldn’t have been what they were for that Georgia Tech game. The Wave going to a bowl game indeed put some excitement in the air about “what could be” for the upcoming season. If you really look at who did what the previous year and the 2013 season, you would actually see just how many of those programs weren’t really tomato cans. (Although there is no F’n way we should have lost to USA even though they went on the become bowl eligible.) Jackson State, South Alabama, ULM, North Texas, ECU, Syracuse, FAU and Rice all had 6-10 win seasons.

Please don’t think I am justifying those teams being apart of the college football elite, I am just pointing out that all of them were seeing more success than us. We were penciled in as winnable games to probably all of them. Even Jackson State was on the FBS vs FCS upset watch list. ULM was coming off a damn 63-10 whipping of us in the previous seasons. I enjoyed traveling to Monroe for revenge that year. We have to make sure we are always in the 7 or more wins club. Once we put together a 9 win season, then we need to toss away a FCS team and add a P5 there. Until then, we need to keep a FCS opponent that puts us 5 wins away from being bowl eligible no matter who we have returning on our roster.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong about the GT game. The attendance had nothing to do with the previous season. Everyone agreed the first game would be a true sell out. It's like that with the opening of any new stadium.

As to scheduling the days of just trying to cobble together 6 wins to get Bowl eligible were beyond that point now. That was the goal two seasons ago and we failed to get there. We got there last year. It's now onward and upward or bust. As I've said throughout no one is fooled by dumbing down the schedule and that's going to be especially true now with the current pricing system.
Wave QB
Swell

The attendance numbers were nothing to parade about, but it was slightly better in 2013. compared to 2012. The 2014 home numbers were better as well. We just lost momentum. It’s not about people being fooled, it’s about building a winning culture. The attendance numbers in the 2014 season showed what could have been. We just didn’t deliver. Yes, the new stadium contributed to the number increase, but the previous winning season helped as well. We just found a way to fumble the ball. I am still disappointed in losing that Tulsa and Georgia Tech game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You also don't build a winning culture by scheduling like you win 9-10+ games every year when you have only done it once in 20+ years.

We won a POS bowl game that we were damned lucky to play in. BFD. Go out and follow it up with 8+ wins THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR and win the division 2 out of 3 years in a row, and I'll buy into the idea that we need to upgrade the schedule. As others have pointed out, no AAC team is going to make the current mythical national championship playoff, so we don't have to impress "the voters."

Just win, baby. The fans will come. We all want to see "named" opponents, but none of us wants the possibility of going 0-4 OOC.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
Many people who I know that used to be ticket holders brought them for the same reason, and many others brought them because we had reason to believe that we could win games in 2014. I am sure that the folks in your circle didn’t renew their tickets due to the results that year. No one posted anything about how going 6-6 every year creates a winning culture . You create a winning culture by good coaching, recruitment, promotions and having an administration that puts your program in position to go to Bowl Games every year. You don’t put your program in position to go 3-9 and continue to schedule tough non conference opponents until you find a coach who can come out of the hole. This has proven not to work. We want a football program that will “at least” win 6 games, with 12 games being the goal. 5-7 and 2-10 seasons should be a thing of the past for Tulane football. No matter what, we should be in a Bowl Game every year. That’s how winning programs handle things. We are a G5 that many consider one of the worst college football head coaching jobs in the nation. We are an “academic first” athletic program who promotes kids getting degrees. We are a program that isn’t use to going to bowl games. We are who we are. The time has come to focus on being a Bowl program. The more Bowl appearances, the more star recruits we will see. All of the top recruits aren’t waiting around 3 years to start for the big boys like it use to be. These kids want to shine and make ESPN Bowl Highlight reels for their families. Tulane can’t and won’t deliver this by sitting at home with a hard fought 5-7 season and turning our noses up at the Beef O Brady Bowl the features two 6 and 7 win teams.
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:57 pm You also don't build a winning culture by scheduling like you win 9-10+ games every year when you have only done it once in 20+ years.

We won a POS bowl game that we were damned lucky to play in. BFD. Go out and follow it up with 8+ wins THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR and win the division 2 out of 3 years in a row, and I'll buy into the idea that we need to upgrade the schedule. As others have pointed out, no AAC team is going to make the current mythical national championship playoff, so we don't have to impress "the voters."

Just win, baby. The fans will come. We all want to see "named" opponents, but none of us wants the possibility of going 0-4 OOC.
Yup. #19 Army cared less about what voters thought about their 11-2 season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:57 pm You also don't build a winning culture by scheduling like you win 9-10+ games every year when you have only done it once in 20+ years.

Agreed.

But Army does well with a pretty solid fan base attending and CBSSports covering all their home games, somewhat regardless of their on-field success. The service academies have quite a few advantages the rest of D1 doesn't enjoy.

And if there's any doubt, Army's football program is now (and this can change quickly) clearly better than Navy's. It has been for a few years, but there's no argument now.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Agreed.

But Army does well with a pretty solid fan base attending and CBSSports covering all their home games. The service academies have quite a few advantages the rest of D1 doesn't enjoy.

And if there's any doubt, Army's football program is now (and this can change quickly) clearly better than Navy's. It has been for a few years, but there's no argument now.
The biggest advantage Army, Navy AF...they have ZERO schollie limts, since they do not offer schollies...the elected officials give "appointments" to the academies...hell if I could recruit 60 to 90 kids a year, I bet I could find 20 that could play...in 2018 Navy signed 58 players
https://navysports.com/news/2018/7/3/na ... class.aspx
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Agreed.

But Army does well with a pretty solid fan base attending and CBSSports covering all their home games, somewhat regardless of their on-field success. The service academies have quite a few advantages the rest of D1 doesn't enjoy.

No matter what the circumstances are, Army was a struggling program for many years and started to put together bowl friendly schedules to get their fans believing again. 3 of those wins were against Cologate, Lafayette and Liberty. From going 2-10 four years ago to 11-2 with a #19 ranking proves that it can be done.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
Many people who I know that used to be ticket holders brought them for the same reason, and many others brought them because we had reason to believe that we could win games in 2014. I am sure that the folks in your circle didn’t renew their tickets due to the results that year. No one posted anything about how going 6-6 every year creates a winning culture . You create a winning culture by good coaching, recruitment, promotions and having an administration that puts your program in position to go to Bowl Games every year. You don’t put your program in position to go 3-9 and continue to schedule tough non conference opponents until you find a coach who can come out of the hole. This has proven not to work. We want a football program that will “at least” win 6 games, with 12 games being the goal. 5-7 and 2-10 seasons should be a thing of the past for Tulane football. No matter what, we should be in a Bowl Game every year. That’s how winning programs handle things. We are a G5 that many consider one of the worst college football head coaching jobs in the nation. We are an “academic first” athletic program who promotes kids getting degrees. We are a program that isn’t use to going to bowl games. We are who we are. The time has come to focus on being a Bowl program. The more Bowl appearances, the more star recruits we will see. All of the top recruits aren’t waiting around 3 years to start for the big boys like it use to be. These kids want to shine and make ESPN Bowl Highlight reels for their families. Tulane can’t and won’t deliver this by sitting at home with a hard fought 5-7 season and turning our noses up at the Beef O Brady Bowl the features two 6 and 7 win teams.
I agree with you, WaveQB. Maybe people should look at it the other way. How much of a "winning culture" can you build if you go 4-4 in conf every year, but go 0-4 in OOC, because you choose to play Auburn, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma every season? A continuous string of 4-8 seasons would do nothing to build a fan base, or change perception, because we'd still be seen as LOSERS. Go 7-5, 8-4 for a half dozen years, and make 6 straight bowl appearances (even if it IS the Cure Bowl or Beef O Brady Bowl), and people will have a different take on Tulane, REGARDLESS of who those 4 OOC wins were. Once you've established that we're no longer PATHETIC LOSERS, THEN we can upgrade the OOC from what we currently have.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson