2019 FB Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 pm
I agree with you, WaveQB. Maybe people should look at it the other way. How much of a "winning culture" can you build if you go 4-4 in conf every year, but go 0-4 in OOC, because you choose to play Auburn, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma every season? A continuous string of 4-8 seasons would do nothing to build a fan base, or change perception, because we'd still be seen as LOSERS. Go 7-5, 8-4 for a half dozen years, and make 6 straight bowl appearances (even if it IS the Cure Bowl or Beef O Brady Bowl), and people will have a different take on Tulane, REGARDLESS of who those 4 OOC wins were. Once you've established that we're no longer PATHETIC LOSERS, THEN we can upgrade the OOC from what we currently have.
Most of us get this and agree 100%. I don't think winwave is calling for quite the schedule you describe above, but your point is well taken. We cannot even risk going 0-4 OOC at this point if we're trying to build a fan base.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:22 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 pm
Wave QB wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:57 pm You also don't build a winning culture by scheduling like you win 9-10+ games every year when you have only done it once in 20+ years.

We won a POS bowl game that we were damned lucky to play in. BFD. Go out and follow it up with 8+ wins THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR and win the division 2 out of 3 years in a row, and I'll buy into the idea that we need to upgrade the schedule. As others have pointed out, no AAC team is going to make the current mythical national championship playoff, so we don't have to impress "the voters."

Just win, baby. The fans will come. We all want to see "named" opponents, but none of us wants the possibility of going 0-4 OOC.
Yup. #19 Army cared less about what voters thought about their 11-2 season.
Agreed.

But Army does well with a pretty solid fan base attending and CBSSports covering all their home games, somewhat regardless of their on-field success. The service academies have quite a few advantages the rest of D1 doesn't enjoy.

And if there's any doubt, Army's football program is now (and this can change quickly) clearly better than Navy's. It has been for a few years, but there's no argument now.

No matter what the circumstances are, Army was a struggling program for many years and started to put together bowl friendly schedules to get their fans believing again. 3 of those wins were against Cologate, Lafayette and Liberty. From going 2-10 four years ago to 11-2 with a #19 ranking proves that it can be done.
I really wasn’t feeling them playing Colgate and Lafayette in the same year, but then again, they did go 11-2 at ended up winning a bowl game with a top 25 finish. This year, they play Morgan State and VMI along with another weak schedule. I think their schedule is weaker this year than last year. Tulane, Michigan and Hawaii will be the only teams who had previous winning seasons on their schedule this year. I think Army can do better at this point, but if they are going for another 11 to 12 win season to push Army football, then so be it. Look for Army to be in the top 25 again.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
Many people who I know that used to be ticket holders brought them for the same reason, and many others brought them because we had reason to believe that we could win games in 2014. I am sure that the folks in your circle didn’t renew their tickets due to the results that year. No one posted anything about how going 6-6 every year creates a winning culture . You create a winning culture by good coaching, recruitment, promotions and having an administration that puts your program in position to go to Bowl Games every year. You don’t put your program in position to go 3-9 and continue to schedule tough non conference opponents until you find a coach who can come out of the hole. This has proven not to work. We want a football program that will “at least” win 6 games, with 12 games being the goal. 5-7 and 2-10 seasons should be a thing of the past for Tulane football. No matter what, we should be in a Bowl Game every year. That’s how winning programs handle things. We are a G5 that many consider one of the worst college football head coaching jobs in the nation. We are an “academic first” athletic program who promotes kids getting degrees. We are a program that isn’t use to going to bowl games. We are who we are. The time has come to focus on being a Bowl program. The more Bowl appearances, the more star recruits we will see. All of the top recruits aren’t waiting around 3 years to start for the big boys like it use to be. These kids want to shine and make ESPN Bowl Highlight reels for their families. Tulane can’t and won’t deliver this by sitting at home with a hard fought 5-7 season and turning our noses up at the Beef O Brady Bowl the features two 6 and 7 win teams.
I agree with you, WaveQB. Maybe people should look at it the other way. How much of a "winning culture" can you build if you go 4-4 in conf every year, but go 0-4 in OOC, because you choose to play Auburn, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma every season? A continuous string of 4-8 seasons would do nothing to build a fan base, or change perception, because we'd still be seen as LOSERS. Go 7-5, 8-4 for a half dozen years, and make 6 straight bowl appearances (even if it IS the Cure Bowl or Beef O Brady Bowl), and people will have a different take on Tulane, REGARDLESS of who those 4 OOC wins were. Once you've established that we're no longer PATHETIC LOSERS, THEN we can upgrade the OOC from what we currently have.
I agree as well. But I do want to see an Oklahoma or Clemson on the schedule every other year.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:44 pm
I agree as well. But I do want to see an Oklahoma or Clemson on the schedule every other year.
There's little chance of that happening. Maybe if we sign 5 game series starting in 2030 with both OU and Clemson, giving them 3 home games each, we'd have a prayer. We might even have to do 4 for 1 It remains to be seen if OU is coming to play in Yulman to live up to their end of the contract that brought Tulane to Norman a couple of years ago.
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 pm
Most of us get this and agree 100%. I don't think winwave is calling for quite the schedule you describe above, but your point is well taken. We cannot even risk going 0-4 OOC at this point if we're trying to build a fan base.
Yeah. We have to at least give ourselves a shot at going 2-2 at worst outside of the conference. G5 fan bases have to have that “we are bowl eligible if we win Saturday” game every year. If we have a good team, then that game could come extremely early in the season. In 2013, we had 23K in the dome for the Tulsa game. If the 2017 SMU game would have been in New Orleans, I am sure Yulman would have saw more than that. A bowl trip on the line would have put more butts in seats.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 pm
Eaglewave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:44 pm
There's little chance of that happening. Maybe if we sign 5 game series starting in 2030 with both OU and Clemson, giving them 3 home games each, we'd have a prayer. We might even have to do 4 for 1 It remains to be seen if OU is coming to play in Yulman to live up to their end of the contract that brought Tulane to Norman a couple of years ago.
Oh yeah. I hear ya. I wasn’t even thinking about those games happening in Yulman. I was thinking road trips.
Ball Sumrall!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I don’t really understand playing the body bag games moving forward. If it was LSU sure. I don’t see ole miss or miss state as body bag games, and I am a fan. But playing top 10 teams on the road for the pay day isn’t something we need to do anymore (for a variety of reasons but mostly our new TV contract).
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm I don’t really understand playing the body bag games moving forward. If it was LSU sure. I don’t see ole miss or miss state as body bag games, and I am a fan. But playing top 10 teams on the road for the pay day isn’t something we need to do anymore (for a variety of reasons but mostly our new TV contract).
But what would be a body bag game? LSU would certainly be one, and, given that the games are scheduled forever on advance so that there is no way to know early how good a team will be, the only way to reasonably attempt to avoid it would be to not schedule any of LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, USC, Washington, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, Florida State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Miami. Even then, it wouldn’t guarantee that sometimes competitive teams like Michigan State or Baylor or Syracuse won’t build strong teams.
wave97
Swell

Army is clever with their scheduling, however, they got very lucky last season.
Duke beat them like a drum because David Cutcliffe & staff have an understanding of how you prepare a team for the Bone (they play in the ACC Coastal with G-Tech). Army played OU to a seven-point game because (Wonder Boy), Lincoln Riley and staff completely underestimated the challenge of preparing a team for Army's scheme. In their Bowl game, Army pissed on a Houston team that didn't have a coaching staff.
I look forward to Army being exposed for the frauds that they are in spite of the fact that there are currently zero teams running the wishbone in the P5 & three other teams in G5 (G-Southern, Navy & Air Force).
I actually feel bad for Navy, familiarity is the enemy of the wishbone. I fear they made a strategic mistake in joining the AAC.
I am in favor of scheduling difficult OOC games (2 for 1 if necessary) in TX, TN, MS, AL, GA & FL.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:57 pm You also don't build a winning culture by scheduling like you win 9-10+ games every year when you have only done it once in 20+ years.

We won a POS bowl game that we were damned lucky to play in. BFD. Go out and follow it up with 8+ wins THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR and win the division 2 out of 3 years in a row, and I'll buy into the idea that we need to upgrade the schedule. As others have pointed out, no AAC team is going to make the current mythical national championship playoff, so we don't have to impress "the voters."

Just win, baby. The fans will come. We all want to see "named" opponents, but none of us wants the possibility of going 0-4 OOC.
No one said to go 0=4 in the OOC. I sim[ply said we need to get rid of the FCS game and toughen that up some if we make the progress we expect to make this year. If all we are going to do is sit around and worry that we a have to find a way to go 6-6 it's over.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm We'll have to agree to disagree. Those 2014 numbers were all about curiosity of the new stadium. Many people I knew that used to be season ticket holders had bought them for the first time in a while because of the stadium. They never renewed after that season. The previous season had nothing to do with it. You don't build a wining culture by scheduling to go 6-6 every year.
Many people who I know that used to be ticket holders brought them for the same reason, and many others brought them because we had reason to believe that we could win games in 2014. I am sure that the folks in your circle didn’t renew their tickets due to the results that year. No one posted anything about how going 6-6 every year creates a winning culture . You create a winning culture by good coaching, recruitment, promotions and having an administration that puts your program in position to go to Bowl Games every year. You don’t put your program in position to go 3-9 and continue to schedule tough non conference opponents until you find a coach who can come out of the hole. This has proven not to work. We want a football program that will “at least” win 6 games, with 12 games being the goal. 5-7 and 2-10 seasons should be a thing of the past for Tulane football. No matter what, we should be in a Bowl Game every year. That’s how winning programs handle things. We are a G5 that many consider one of the worst college football head coaching jobs in the nation. We are an “academic first” athletic program who promotes kids getting degrees. We are a program that isn’t use to going to bowl games. We are who we are. The time has come to focus on being a Bowl program. The more Bowl appearances, the more star recruits we will see. All of the top recruits aren’t waiting around 3 years to start for the big boys like it use to be. These kids want to shine and make ESPN Bowl Highlight reels for their families. Tulane can’t and won’t deliver this by sitting at home with a hard fought 5-7 season and turning our noses up at the Beef O Brady Bowl the features two 6 and 7 win teams.
They bought tickets strictly because of the new stadium. That wore off quickly. It's foolhardy to keep thinking of what we were. I'm talking about what we'll become. You can live in the past. We won't go 0-4 because we get rid of the FCS game. It's complete BS to say that means we'll be 0-4 and drive fans away.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agreed.

But Army does well with a pretty solid fan base attending and CBSSports covering all their home games, somewhat regardless of their on-field success. The service academies have quite a few advantages the rest of D1 doesn't enjoy.

And if there's any doubt, Army's football program is now (and this can change quickly) clearly better than Navy's. It has been for a few years, but there's no argument now.
Let Tulane play that Army schedule and Yulman would be empty. It works for an academy but it won't work for anyone else much less Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Seriously. Please show me where someone said we should play Alabama ,Clemson, V.a Tech and Oklahoma as the 4 OOC games every year. What was said was to get rid of the FCS game and upgrade the schedule some. Sorry but the responses to that are just pathetic. No wonder Tulane athletics is where it is.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:05 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 pm
Yeah. We have to at least give ourselves a shot at going 2-2 at worst outside of the conference. G5 fan bases have to have that “we are bowl eligible if we win Saturday” game every year. If we have a good team, then that game could come extremely early in the season. In 2013, we had 23K in the dome for the Tulsa game. If the 2017 SMU game would have been in New Orleans, I am sure Yulman would have saw more than that. A bowl trip on the line would have put more butts in seats.
We didn't have 23,000 for Tulsa. That's a reported number. Everyone knows those are BS. We didn't have anything close to 23,000 for the Bowl game from our side.
Wave QB
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm I don’t really understand playing the body bag games moving forward. If it was LSU sure. I don’t see ole miss or miss state as body bag games, and I am a fan. But playing top 10 teams on the road for the pay day isn’t something we need to do anymore (for a variety of reasons but mostly our new TV contract).

Good points.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 am
They bought tickets strictly because of the new stadium. That wore off quickly. It's foolhardy to keep thinking of what we were. I'm talking about what we'll become. You can live in the past. We won't go 0-4 because we get rid of the FCS game. It's complete BS to say that means we'll be 0-4 and drive fans away.
They brought tickets because of the stadium, and the fact that were coming off our first winning season in a long time. If the new stadium was the only factor, then only the GT would have cracked over 20k. CJ and company lost the “we can win some games now” momentum. I am not living in the past because we see plenty of programs scheduling to make the post season instead of getting their heads bashed in each week.

The attendance numbers reported and recorded however they are, but there we still more butts in the seats for that game compared to what we have seen during losing campaigns. If we win more games, more fans will show up. Period.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 am

Agreed.

Let Tulane play that Army schedule and Yulman would be empty. It works for an academy but it won't work for anyone else much less Tulane.
Winwave,

Yulman and the dome have been empty plenty of times if you haven’t noticed. Winning is the only way to put butts in the seats and get some new Tulane fans aboard. Our students and high school kids have no problem with us beating SLU or Southern in Yulman. The attendance numbers show that kids will come out. If Tulane has Army’s schedule and ended 11-2, Yulman would definitely see more butts than what’s been in lately.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Play the schedule we play this year, go 10-2 and you'll have sellouts or close to sellouts the second half of the season.
wave97
Swell

2018 was a rough year for the AAC. Big wins were hard to come by when you rely on two programs to carry the torch. We lost in most of our "participation" bowls with UCF playing well under the circumstances in the Fiesta Bowl.
Looking at the AAC OOC composite schedule going forward each AAC team has scheduled one FCS team, one G5 (MAC, CUSA) and two P5.
If we are to advance as a Conference, we need to play big and win big when the opportunity presents itself.
Army deserves to get curb stomped in their next "participation" bowl which has been guaranteed by their short-sighted and cynical scheduling strategy. Let's hope it is with Houston,
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:09 am

Seriously. Please show me where someone said we should play Alabama ,Clemson, V.a Tech and Oklahoma as the 4 OOC games every year. What was said was to get rid of the FCS game and upgrade the schedule some. Sorry but the responses to that are just pathetic. No wonder Tulane athletics is where it is.
You know what? When we can put together three consecutive years of those elusive "bowl eligible" seasons, then maybe we can talk of dropping the FCS game. Now, when has that ever happened in our lifetime? NEVER. You have to walk before you can run.

As for the 4 P5 schools thing, my point everyone complains of playing FIU, FAU, UAB, etc, because they don't put butts in the seats. Lets face it, until we start winning more, that's what we're going to schedule. I'd rather 9-3 and have FAU, WF, ULL and and an FCS school as our four OOCs, than potentially 5-7 because we played OU, FIU, USM and Miss St.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave QB
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:09 am

You know what? When we can put together three consecutive years of those elusive "bowl eligible" seasons, then maybe we can talk of dropping the FCS game. Now, when has that ever happened in our lifetime? NEVER. You have to walk before you can run.

As for the 4 P5 schools thing, my point everyone complains of playing FIU, FAU, UAB, etc, because they don't put butts in the seats. Lets face it, until we start winning more, that's what we're going to schedule. I'd rather 9-3 and have FAU, WF, ULL and and an FCS school as our four OOCs, than potentially 5-7 because we played OU, FIU, USM and Miss St.

Preach the gospel!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am

Nailed it!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 am
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 am
They brought tickets because of the stadium, and the fact that were coming off our first winning season in a long time. If the new stadium was the only factor, then only the GT would have cracked over 20k. CJ and company lost the “we can win some games now” momentum. I am not living in the past because we see plenty of programs scheduling to make the post season instead of getting their heads bashed in each week.

The attendance numbers reported and recorded however they are, but there we still more butts in the seats for that game compared to what we have seen during losing campaigns. If we win more games, more fans will show up. Period.
It was all about the new stadium. It had nothing to do with going 7-6 against that pathetic schedule we played. Plus many of the teams we beat were suffering injuries to key players. If the stadium hadn't opened that season our crowds would have been the same as they had been leading up to that season. By your account the stadium will be completely sold out for FIU and we will have near sell outs for the rest of the season. I can assure you that's not the case and that will be clear on 8-29. The only way we come close to getting a sell out next season is if we beat FIU and follow with the upset of Auburn and then keep winning till we face UCF. Then if they are having a season like they have been having we may get a sell out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:21 am
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 am

Agreed.

Winwave,

Yulman and the dome have been empty plenty of times if you haven’t noticed. Winning is the only way to put butts in the seats and get some new Tulane fans aboard. Our students and high school kids have no problem with us beating SLU or Southern in Yulman. The attendance numbers show that kids will come out. If Tulane has Army’s schedule and ended 11-2, Yulman would definitely see more butts than what’s been in lately.
There would be more butts but nowhere near a sell out. Like I have said Dickson type schedules don't fool anyone. Tulane fans have been there and done that. It doesn't bring out significantly more people. For Southern the crowd was more of their fans than ours. The students haven't showed up in any significant numbers and we don't have any HS kids coming out at all. This is a major sports town. People know the different levels of competition. They see it for what it is. I've simply suggested a a tweak to our scheduling to help us get people's attention. We can go 11-2 against better than what army did it against. To me that's the goal. and that's not saying we have to play Bama, Ohio State, Clemson and Georgia.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:22 am Play the schedule we play this year, go 10-2 and you'll have sellouts or close to sellouts the second half of the season.
We would certainly see a noticeable increase but not sell outs or near sell outs .Like I said above to get to that level we'd have to be undefeated going into the UCF game and UCF would have to be rolling like they have been. Which for your sake and your daughters I hope they do. BTW, is she still there or has she graduated?