ULL Beats Tulane 68-61

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We play ULL at 4 for third place. They are picked second in the Sunbelt after winning it last year.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ULL is favored by 4 1/2.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Can this be viewed online?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I realize this thread is about the basketball game but I really don’t like that Dannen signed a football series contract with U LA LA. They do nothing for us and compete with us in recruiting. We are doing them a huge favor and getting nothing in return by letting U LA LA, a Sunbelt school, play Tulane, an AAC school. All schools in the Sunbelt and CUSA are literally begging to play AAC schools and I would rather Dannen have signed a contract with any of them except for U LA LA.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Does U=La=La benefit more from playing us than we do them? Maybe. But that depends on whether you want to value selling out Yulman and count that in our favor. I'd much rather play them than some other OOC opponent that will put 8,000 in the stadium TOTAL.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Over on the Rage Page, which is the U LA LA forum, Cajun fans are complaining about their meager attendance this year and lack of student support. The announced attendance at their last game was around 14,000 people, which means in reality U LA LA probably had around 8,000 people in attendance. Obviously, their attendance issue is also a problem Tulane faces, so I’m not pointing this out to be critical of them. My point is that if their attendance is this bad at home under a new head coach how many Cajun fans do you think they will bring to a future Tulane game at Yulman? Maybe a few thousand more than we typically get in our visitor’s attendance but nothing to write home about. It is simply not worth it for Tulane to play U LA LA anymore in football. It helps U LA LA more than it helps Tulane especially in recruiting. I want Tulane to play as few Sunbelt and CUSA schools as possible but realize on occasion we will have to play them. I just don’t think it should be U LA LA when we can schedule games against Sunbelt and CUSA schools in Mississippi and Alabama to bring fans to Yulman,
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:55 pm Can this be viewed online?
Yes fo $9.95. The quality is good. Just go to Tulane's site and click on the basketball schedule.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

On a separate note I miss Jonathan always coming on here anytime U LA LA was mentioned and calling them a tier 2 school since they aren’t classified as tier 1 like Tulane, LSU, and Louisiana Tech. That always gave me a chuckle as you knew that post from him would be forthcoming.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:30 pm On a separate note I miss Jonathan always coming on here anytime U LA LA was mentioned and calling them a tier 2 school since they aren’t classified as tier 1 like Tulane, LSU, and Louisiana Tech. That always gave me a chuckle as you new that post from him would be forthcoming.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:28 pm Over on the Rage Page, which is the U LA LA forum, Cajun fans are complaining about their meager attendance this year and lack of student support. The announced attendance at their last game was around 14,000 people, which means in reality U LA LA probably had around 8,000 people in attendance. Obviously, their attendance issue is also a problem Tulane faces, so I’m not pointing this out to be critical of them. My point is that if their attendance is this bad at home under a new head coach how many Cajun fans do you think they will bring to a future Tulane game at Yulman? Maybe a few thousand more than we typically get in our visitor’s attendance but nothing to write home about. It is simply not worth it for Tulane to play U LA LA anymore in football. It helps U LA LA more than it helps Tulane especially in recruiting. I want Tulane to play as few Sunbelt and CUSA schools as possible but realize on occasion we will have to play them. I just don’t think it should be U LA LA when we can schedule games against Sunbelt and CUSA schools in Mississippi and Alabama to bring fans to Yulman,
Sunamiwave, I understand your position on scheduling the Cajun program, but would advise that you give credit to your AD in this case. I believe that those who will prosper in the coming years are the programs that are willing to schedule regional rivals that interest their fanbases. As Dave has pointed out, a game at Yulman between our programs will always bring a good Cajun crowd. That's good for Tulane and good for us as well.

Yes, our attendance sucks this year but many others throughout the country face a similar situation. I do suspect that by the time our programs meet again on the football field you'll find the matchup worthy of Tulane's time and attention as I believe we will have upgraded our program significantly in many areas as our current athletic department is as serious as I've ever seen.

Finally, I also miss Jonathan though Wave 755 does an excellent job standing in for him, in more ways than one, but especially when it comes to talking about academics on a sports forum. And speaking of, I would urge you guys to drop the Tier 1 talk. There is no firm definition of exactly what Tier 1 is since it's basically a subjective measure presented in a magazine. If you're that interested in where we stand relative to other state schools, you might want to look at the much more widely accepted Carnegie Classification data to find out who's doing what in the UL system as far as for advancing their academics. LaTech and ULM are both rated as R-3 (LaTech having fallen from R-2) while our program is rated R-2 and on the cusp of becoming R-1. For the last fiscal year, our research budget surpassed $100 million dollars which is more than all the other programs in the UL system combined. LaTech trails far behind with less than $50 spent on research.

Good luck in the ballgame tonight. May the best team win and may there be no injuries.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Show Me
Tsunami

Two bad teams
Jaxwave
Swell

Imagine that, a Tulane basketball team preaching running running, running on offense, the reverts back and can’t shoot. Where have we seen this before?
Profoundwizard
Swell

I was told basketball was Troy Dannen’s specialty
Show Me
Tsunami

Year 3 of Dunleavy and we can’t beat ULL.
GreenLantern
Riptide

So which is it?
  1. ULL is a powerhouse team that belongs in the discussion with Cincinnati, Houston, and Memphis
  2. Tulane is a very weak team that has made little progress in the last three years. We are incapable of handling programs that should not be competitive with us. We will finish the season in the bottom two teams of the AAC. We can't even hang with ULL which is a step down from ULM in the Sun Belt.
No reply required as the answer is obvious. Bring on the ULaLa trolls. We deserve it.
exflash
High Tide

........;Do you guys still remember ou NO Bowl game.....we estimated a crowd of about 40k-45-k with the Cajuns having almost 40k....wish I could show the sea of red photo of our entire side end zones and more.....if we win the next 2 games you will see another fine crowd in NO bowling!.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

At the New Orleans Bowl that U LA LA had to vacate because they were cheating U LA LA had about 33 k fans and Tulane had about 24 k fans. The entire side of the Tulane sideline were fans in green. The U LA LA fans in red were on the U LA LA side plus the end zones. I know as I was at that game.

Also, if U LA LA goes to the NOLA bowl this year I would expect a relatively small crowd as U LA LA is drawing meager crowds at home under their first year head coach even though they are winning games. At U LA LA’s last home game, you had an announced attendance of around 14,000, which means in reality you had an actual attendance of 8,000.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

exflash wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:07 pm ........;Do you guys still remember ou NO Bowl game.....we estimated a crowd of about 40k-45-k with the Cajuns having almost 40k....wish I could show the sea of red photo of our entire side end zones and more.....if we win the next 2 games you will see another fine crowd in NO bowling!.
Almost 40K for the Cajuns :D

How was the crowd for the Overtime Tulane-ULL game at Yulman a couple years ago? I couldn’t make that one.
Jaxwave
Swell

Sorry, guys, but any Tulane fan criticizing any other program for attendance is just plain comical,
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:07 pm ........;Do you guys still remember ou NO Bowl game.....we estimated a crowd of about 40k-45-k with the Cajuns having almost 40k....wish I could show the sea of red photo of our entire side end zones and more.....if we win the next 2 games you will see another fine crowd in NO bowling!.
exflash: You are being the U-La-La troll many refer to. The estimated crowd was 52-54k. Of that it was widely considered to be roughly 30-34K U-La-La and 20-22K Tulane. That's much closer to what it looked like on TV as well. There were more U-La-La fans there than Tulane fans. It's a bigger school with mostly local Louisiana residents that love football. Tulane is a school that draws it's enrollment from probably 30+ states and many international locations as well. The undergraduates have been apathetic about Tulane Athletics for generations. That doesn't bode well for an alumni base that is passionate about Tulane Athletics the way most of us that post here are.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Nah Jaxwave it does not sound like you read the entire thread because you are completely missing the context. I said in my first post in this thread that obviously Tulane has attendance issues and that I was pointing out U LA LA’s lack of attendance to show that they will not bring a huge number of fans to Yulman, which is why Dannen should not have signed a contract with them. Then exflash comes on here and outright lies about the attendance at the New Orleans Bowl and he knows it.
exflash
High Tide

So can you get some photos on here with shots of the stands.......that photo just stands out in my head and I do remember post game discussions about our huge attendance.
exflash
High Tide

Actual crowd was 57278——-I would say that it was about 50k for the Cajuns, as the Louisiana crowd curled the bowl onto the 10 yard lines of the other side...I too was there for a great Louisiana Ragin Cajun victory on the field and in the stands.......check the facts and post some photos!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

exflash that game was a long time ago and U LA LA has since vacated it along with other games because they were cheaters. I think it’s strange that you’re talking about attendance from a game five years ago when U LA LA is presently struggling like Tulane with attendance issues. Lack of attendance at U LA LA games is one of the major topics over on the Ragin Pagin forum. I do not have pictures from the 2013 New Orleans Bowl but I was there and walked around the entire stadium. The crowd was an entire sea of green behind the Tulane sidelines. There were about 33 k U LA LA fans and 24 k Tulane fans in attendance. After five years, Tulane has moved up in conference affiliation from CUSA to the AAC while U LA LA is still stuck in the worst conference in America known as the Sun Belt.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

People claim they were there and accept attendance at 57k? The internwebs wins again.

The dick measuring contests with ULL needs to end, these two universities are on completely different paths. Have been for decades.

No idea why TU folks care what they want to call themselves. Let them be, its all a game with no ending or beginning.