Decision time....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wave97
Swell

I believe that Coach Fritz has very difficult decisions to make regarding his coaching staff this off season. The acquisition of Coach McCleskey for this season was a godsend, but it came easy due to the the NCAA adding an additional coach to all programs. Staff continuity is wonderful thing until it isn't, and you have to make very difficult decisions that effect the lives of coaches/friends/families that you have known for decades.
For the sake of this program, it is decision time..

winwave
Top of the WAVE

While most would agree I think most also agree they don't see him pulling the trigger on the much needed changes. May he prove us wrong.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

For the sake of the program, and his job after 2019, he needs to fire the OC and get a new one. We're all tired, even the alumni that DO care but don't post here, of this BS offense. It won't win consistently at this level. Do we aspire to 6-6? Or do we aspire to compete for CONFERENCE championships? This offense is not going to get us where we want to be, even if we had Vince Young in his prime running it.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

Fritz is loyal to his staff, has never fired one, that is why they are loyal to him, changes can be made without firing anyone. I am sure Fritz will evaluate when his team is and design his offense as needed with his present coaches. They have worked together for many years and will continue. No that is not what you want to hear!!!
wave97
Swell

Is there a successful staff that hasn't?
Dancing with who brung ya and hung ya are essential distinctions.
Apparently he lacks the cojones to hold his staff accountable. He's such a "nice guy"..
Get on the phone now Coach Fritz. Your future depends on it.
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wave97
Swell

Please answer these questions:
What value was it to the program when Coach Fritz went out of his way to describe his offense as a triple option? How many prospective QB's completely ruled out Tulane for his misleading ridiculous statements about our zone blocking rpo offense? In what way does it resemble the wishbone or veer?
Coach Fritz seemed to have a smirk on his face when addressing this topic in his press conferences. Why? What did he gain? Did he think he was being clever? Smug? Smart? Stupid?
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree and said so at the time. He was just enamored with saying it. Huge mistake.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Three years into the Fritz era, and I'm not sure what he's trying to run. If it was an actual RPO offense, that should attract QB talent, as the NFL continues to morph toward RPO offenses. And why wouldn't Fritz and his offensive brain trust make adjustments during this season? Are we married to a failed offensive strategy from the first game of the season to the last? Why would any offensive strategy completely negate the use of screen passes, flare passes, or other plays to the perimeter? Has any team ever gone through a whole season with almost nothing but runs between the tackles? I'd love to know why Fritz and Ruse thought this offense would ever work. I would say that the talent on this Tulane team at least rivals that which Bowden had on his '97 and '98 teams. The difference is that the '97 and '98 teams used offensive innovation, figured out how to use Sean King, were more disciplined, and knew how to take advantage of the talent they had and mask the weaknesses they had--not so with Fritz's teams.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Sunamiwave
High Tide

At the end of the football season a good head coach would realize he has to make a change at offensive coordinator because the current scheme and play calling is simply not working. I fear Fritz is too stubborn and stuck in his old ways to make a change. Hopefully he will surprise us and put the future of the Tulane football program and its success ahead of his personal friendship with Doug Ruse.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:25 pm At the end of the football season a good head coach would realize he has to make a change at offensive coordinator because the current scheme and play calling is simply not working. I fear Fritz is too stubborn and stuck in his old ways to make a change. Hopefully he will surprise us and put the future of the Tulane football program and its success ahead of his personal friendship with Doug Ruse.
Unless this is a Sean Payton-Pete Carmichael type of situation. Maybe Ruse is the OC in name, but ultimately they run the type of offense Fritz wants to run. Changing the OC would do no good if the new one was still expected to run the same system.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:40 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:25 pm At the end of the football season a good head coach would realize he has to make a change at offensive coordinator because the current scheme and play calling is simply not working. I fear Fritz is too stubborn and stuck in his old ways to make a change. Hopefully he will surprise us and put the future of the Tulane football program and its success ahead of his personal friendship with Doug Ruse.
Unless this is a Sean Payton-Pete Carmichael type of situation. Maybe Ruse is the OC in name, but ultimately they run the type of offense Fritz wants to run. Changing the OC would do no good if the new one was still expected to run the same system.
This. Much like Jim Mora -Carl Smith. UGH.
wave97
Swell

Bob Davie gave the hook to Bob Debesse at UNM. The "option' didn't work for long at New Mexico in the Mountain West. He's currently at Georia Southern.
wave97
Swell

He announce he was going to run his 'option'.
Please tell me he's not a one trick pony.
wave97
Swell

We do not have sufficient talent at qb and wide out to make teams pay for stacking the box.
But keep going on about our option while you're at it coach. That'll do wonders.
oliveandblue
Surge

wave97 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:57 pm We do not have sufficient talent at qb and wide out to make teams pay for stacking the box.
But keep going on about our option while you're at it coach. That'll do wonders.
You can win with an option team. The problem is that the playcalling is atrocious. They had UH on the ropes down 14-6 and driving, and then spend 2-3 drives trying to force dangerous throws when UH wasn't stopping your normal rushing attack.
oliveandblue
Surge

The worst part about this season is that they're going to beat Navy by 4 points and then use that as a reason to CHANGE NOTHING.

If they upgrade at OC, then this program can really start to churn some winning records. They aren't far off.
GreenLantern
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm The worst part about this season is that they're going to beat Navy by 4 points and then use that as a reason to CHANGE NOTHING.
Can anyone remember a more must-win game? Ever?? Imagine the despair around here should we fall short. I don't even know why I let thoughts like that fly across my mind.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

"They aren't far off". How many staffs have we heard that from.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:29 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm The worst part about this season is that they're going to beat Navy by 4 points and then use that as a reason to CHANGE NOTHING.
Can anyone remember a more must-win game? Ever?? Imagine the despair around here should we fall short. I don't even know why I let thoughts like that fly across my mind.
Because you are a Tulane fan—you have no choice.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
msdos
Swell

No changes will be made. The team stormed the field and celebrated like they won a championship after barely beating the worst ECU I've ever seen.
Do you really think the guy that crowd surfs after beating Nicholls has any urgency on becoming a real contender?
Wave QB
Swell

As a fan who believed in CJ until he acted like he couldn’t fire coordinators or position coaches, I do believe the Fritz needs to make some changes if we want to get over the 4-5 win hump.