Memphis does it’s part-TU CHOKES Again

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Memphis takes down SMU. The title shot was there for the taking and good ole Willie Boy DID NOT HAVE HIS TEAM READY TO PLAY!! Lousy job of preparation and play calling . Underachievement is the name of this season.

Oh, I understand that Willie Boy took his team BOWLING (no pun intended) on game day!! Really? Should you take a team to do any physical activity that could possibly result in a pulled muscle, sore muscles or God forbid some other fluke injury. One would question this decision....Kind of a dumb move if you ask me! What about a movie !!!

Show Me
Tsunami

Tulane is selling tickets to Navy game for $5 yet they stick it to the alums for Homecoming with $50 tickets. I would not be shocked a follow up of the Houston blowout with a loss to Navy to finish 5-7 with Houston and SMU both losing out as well..
Last edited by Show Me on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am Funny they are selling tickets to Navy game for $5 yet they stick it to the alums for Homecoming with $50 tickets. I would not be shocked if we follow up the Houston blowout with a loss to Navy to finish 5-7 with Houston and SMU both losing out as well.
I don't see us losing to Navy, unless the team checks out mentally. I don't see that happening. Too much on the table. Houston out talented us Thursday night. Navy can't do that, and we match up well with what they do best.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 am
Show Me wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am Funny they are selling tickets to Navy game for $5 yet they stick it to the alums for Homecoming with $50 tickets. I would not be shocked if we follow up the Houston blowout with a loss to Navy to finish 5-7 with Houston and SMU both losing out as well.
I don't see us losing to Navy, unless the team checks out mentally. I don't see that happening. Too much on the table. Houston out talented us Thursday night. Navy can't do that, and we match up well with what they do best.
Should win. But how many times have we seen that. Show Me.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And that's why I said, unless the team checks out mentally. Lets be honest, at the start of the season, everyone on the board was focused on a bowl game. Not a one of us even considered competing for the AAC West THIS year. And few if any had Houston on their list of projected wins. Prior to the season everyone kept pointing out the Fritz was getting his wins against FCS and low end FBS teams. This year we beat USF AND Memphis. Yes, we've blown some games we could have won, as is typical Tulane, but look at the complete body of work.

A win accomplishes our goal for this season. We are a better team than last season. We've been on the cusp of bowl eligibility for two seasons in a row. When was the last time we can say we went into the last game of the season with something still to play for? I looked it up, 1997-98. The only time since then that we weren't a total embarrassment was 2002-2004, and we weren't great then. 2002 team was only 6-5 going into the last game, 2003 was 4-7 before winning the finale, so they were already bowl eliminated. and 2004 was 5-6. That is IT. 1997-98 .

Seasons with 5+ wins since 1978 ( 40 yrs) 14.

1979-1988 (5)
1979 - 9
1980 - 7
1981 - 6
1987 - 6
1988 - 5

1989-1998 (2)
1997 - 7
1998 - 12

1999-2008 (4)
2000 - 6
2002 - 8
2003 - 5
2004 - 5

2009-2018 (3)
2013 - 7
2017 - 5
2018 - 5

And we're 4-3 in conference, with one game left to play, meaning, no worse than .5oo, and maybe 5-3. The last time we were .500 in conference? 2002. The last time we had a winning record in conference? 1998

I know we're all impatient. I know we're all getting older. I know everyone wants us to be 10-2 every year. But we are competitive now, and we're getting better. I'd rather that than the years I'd skip even listening to the games because we were so bad.

Next year becomes the year of reckoning. If we don't see the next step taken, then its time to look for a change.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am Tulane is selling tickets to Navy game for $5 yet they stick it to the alums for Homecoming with $50 tickets. I would not be shocked a follow up of the Houston blowout with a loss to Navy to finish 5-7 with Houston and SMU both losing out as well..
I can readily see us losing to Navy. The Navy D will know exactly what we’re running offensively (most teams do), will stack the box, and will defend our one pass play—the slant pass. If that isn’t enough, I can also see our offense being slowed by untimely penalties. And of course we know the academies get away with a lot on the field, so a few well-timed Navy cheap shots will probably have our players retaliating and getting personal foul calls throughout the game. Our best chance is if our young D can be disciplined enough to stop Navy’s option offense. I hope I’m wrong on all of this.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:50 am Memphis takes down SMU. The title shot was there for the taking and good ole Willie Boy DID NOT HAVE HIS TEAM READY TO PLAY!! Lousy job of preparation and play calling . Underachievement is the name of this season.

Oh, I understand that Willie Boy took his team BOWLING (no pun intended) on game day!! Really? Should you take a team to do any physical activity that could possibly result in a pulled muscle, sore muscles or God forbid some other fluke injury. One would question this decision....Kind of a dumb move if you ask me! What about a movie !!!
At least Willie and the Boys can now check the “We Went Bowling” box for 2018.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 am
This will be interesting. we were told the same things before we played SMU this year and lost. Now we have the same thing in comparison to the last game of last season. will things be different this time? The team has extra time to get over the Houston debacle and heal up. No excuse not to beat a bad Navy team.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:06 am And that's why I said, unless the team checks out mentally. Lets be honest, at the start of the season, everyone on the board was focused on a bowl game. Not a one of us even considered competing for the AAC West THIS year. And few if any had Houston on their list of projected wins. Prior to the season everyone kept pointing out the Fritz was getting his wins against FCS and low end FBS teams. This year we beat USF AND Memphis. Yes, we've blown some games we could have won, as is typical Tulane, but look at the complete body of work.

A win accomplishes our goal for this season. We are a better team than last season. We've been on the cusp of bowl eligibility for two seasons in a row. When was the last time we can say we went into the last game of the season with something still to play for? I looked it up, 1997-98. The only time since then that we weren't a total embarrassment was 2002-2004, and we weren't great then. 2002 team was only 6-5 going into the last game, 2003 was 4-7 before winning the finale, so they were already bowl eliminated. and 2004 was 5-6. That is IT. 1997-98 .

Seasons with 5+ wins since 1978 ( 40 yrs) 14.

1979-1988 (5)
1979 - 9
1980 - 7
1981 - 6
1987 - 6
1988 - 5

1989-1998 (2)
1997 - 7
1998 - 12

1999-2008 (4)
2000 - 6
2002 - 8
2003 - 5
2004 - 5

2009-2018 (3)
2013 - 7
2017 - 5
2018 - 5

And we're 4-3 in conference, with one game left to play, meaning, no worse than .5oo, and maybe 5-3. The last time we were .500 in conference? 2002. The last time we had a winning record in conference? 1998

I know we're all impatient. I know we're all getting older. I know everyone wants us to be 10-2 every year. But we are competitive now, and we're getting better. I'd rather that than the years I'd skip even listening to the games because we were so bad.

Next year becomes the year of reckoning. If we don't see the next step taken, then its time to look for a change.
Sorry R320 but that's a lot of low bar syndrome going on there. Six wins was last years goal. Most importantly the conference is down this year and especially the West Division. This season has been a disappointment. Hopefully we beat Navy and win the Bowl game but Willie's seat is warm going into next year no matter what happens. If he loses to Navy next week then it will be hot going into next year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm not denying his seat is warm going into next year. And I specifically mention that in the last sentence. But I also think people are being unreasonable bordering on mentally ill to think anyone was going to come into a situation like this and have us in the Top 10 in their third season. I didn't set the bar that low, 40 YEARS of pathetic Tulane football has set the bar that low, to the point where consecutive five win seasons IS an improvement. I'm not satisfied yet. I'm just pointing out the fact that he's already got us to a point better than we've been in 20 years. We're not at the bottom anymore, where the only way to go was up. We're a middle of the pack team that's going to have good days (USF and Memphis) and bad days (SMU and Houston), like MOST middle of the pack teams do. Temple is 6-4. They lost to VILLANOVA. SMU is 5-6. They got killed by North Texas. And the best, Purdue. 5-5, with wins over ranked Ohio State, Iowa and Boston College. And a LOSS to Eastern Michigan.

We're now at the point that next season will determine the direction we go. Unless we win 7-8 games next season, then I believe we'll have gotten as much out of Fritz as we can and it will be time to move on.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one ever suggested we be in the top 10 at this point. NO ONE. Only a mentally ill person could infer that from anything written. This is year 3 and the conference and especially our division were down this year. This was the year to get 7-8 and be looking to 9-10 next season. He's off schedule. He needs to make some dramatic changes. Does he have it in him? I hope he does.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 pm We're now at the point that next season will determine the direction we go. Unless we win 7-8 games next season, then I believe we'll have gotten as much out of Fritz as we can and it will be time to move on.
We said this last year.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:30 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 pm We're now at the point that next season will determine the direction we go. Unless we win 7-8 games next season, then I believe we'll have gotten as much out of Fritz as we can and it will be time to move on.
We said this last year.
If you did, it was wrong to say it last year. Two seasons in, starting with basically nothing as far as returning talent when he arrived, and by year 3 you're expecting 7-8 wins? That's unrealistic 4-8, to 5-7, to 6-6 and a bowl, against a harder schedule than last season, and you see no progress? We're a middle-of-the-road, average team, with flaws similar to every other middle-of-the-road, average team. We beat teams we have no business beating, and then lose to teams we have no business losing to.

And to be honest, there's really not a single loss this season where you can say we had no business losing, unlike last season's Cincy game. We took care of business against ECU and Tulsa, who were the two weakest teams on the schedule. Let's hope we handle Navy as well.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just so everyone understands, I'm NOT looking for the quick fix like we've had in the past. I'm tired of that. Seasons like 2013, 2002, even 1997-98 were fool's gold, not built on a foundation designed for continued success. I'd rather it take a year or two longer, but actually be a solid enough program that we can be the fans discussing WHERE we'll go bowling every year, rather than IF we'll go bowling at all. And I still believe Fritz is achieving that.
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:03 pm Just so everyone understands, I'm NOT looking for the quick fix like we've had in the past. I'm tired of that. Seasons like 2013, 2002, even 1997-98 were fool's gold, not built on a foundation designed for continued success. I'd rather it take a year or two longer, but actually be a solid enough program that we can be the fans discussing WHERE we'll go bowling every year, rather than IF we'll go bowling at all. And I still believe Fritz is achieving that.
Typical low bar Tulane syndrome. Look at what UCF has done in the last two years. Then go back and look at what they did before they hired their current coach. Why do Tulane fans have to suffer 4 and 5 seasons just too see. You know right away. This staff is not going to get us UCF results in 10 years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Look at what Cincy's coach did in two years.
RobertM320
Green Wave

99% of the schools in the country never have and never will have UCF results. Get real. We've had more undefeated seasons than probably 75% of schools in the country. I didn't say we couldn't win immediately with a different coach. We've proven that in the past. We've also proven that success can be fleeting when not done properly. ECU went to 8 bowls in 9 years. Now they're one game away from their 4th consecutive 3 win season. Tulsa went to 7 bowls in 9 seasons in C-USA. Since they've joined the American this will be their 4th losing season in 5 years. I don't want that. I want this season to be the beginning of a string of winning seasons and bowl appearances, not just a one-off.

Maybe its just I'm old to enough to know that lasting success doesn't happen overnight. I guess a lot of the younger generations are too impatient for that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:39 pm Look at what Cincy's coach did in two years.
Tuberville didn't leave the cupboard bare the way CJ did. Cincinnati went to 9 bowl games in 10 years, and got P5 type money for years in the Big East. They had ONE bad season (4-8), and fired Tuberville. Then they brought in a native with recruiting ties throughout Ohio. A good portion of their team has been to two bowl games. Take a look at their recruiting the last two years.

Its easy to look at situations in a vacuum. Each situation is unique. We're not Cincinnati, we have different challenges. I 1000% agree there's no excuse for how historically bad we've been. That's 100% on Tulane. There's no reason Tulane can't have a sustained run of success. But to think its as easy to build that kind of program here as it is at a Cincinnati or a UCF is not being honest with yourself.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just for everyone who's using Central Florida as a measuring stick: are you aware of just how rare what they're accomplishing is? Do you know how many schools in the American have EVER had a perfect season (no losses or ties)?

THREE.
Central Florida (1) 2017
Tulane (2) 1929, 1998
SMU (1) 1923

That's it. We've got 50% of the perfect seasons EVER in the entire conference. And other than Central Florida last season, we're the only one that still has fans ALIVE to say they witnessed it.
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:02 pm Just for everyone who's using Central Florida as a measuring stick: are you aware of just how rare what they're accomplishing is? Do you know how many schools in the American have EVER had a perfect season (no losses or ties)?

THREE.
Central Florida (1) 2017
Tulane (2) 1929, 1998
SMU (1) 1923

That's it. We've got 50% of the perfect seasons EVER in the entire conference. And other than Central Florida last season, we're the only one that still has fans ALIVE to say they witnessed it.
You’ve made my point. Look what good coaching can do to bad programs.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:35 am
DaveBrownStreak wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:50 am Memphis takes down SMU. The title shot was there for the taking and good ole Willie Boy DID NOT HAVE HIS TEAM READY TO PLAY!! Lousy job of preparation and play calling . Underachievement is the name of this season.

What are you smoking? We haven't become bowl eligible yet.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:33 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:03 pm Just so everyone understands, I'm NOT looking for the quick fix like we've had in the past. I'm tired of that. Seasons like 2013, 2002, even 1997-98 were fool's gold, not built on a foundation designed for continued success. I'd rather it take a year or two longer, but actually be a solid enough program that we can be the fans discussing WHERE we'll go bowling every year, rather than IF we'll go bowling at all. And I still believe Fritz is achieving that.
Typical low bar Tulane syndrome. Look at what UCF has done in the last two years. Then go back and look at what they did before they hired their current coach. Why do Tulane fans have to suffer 4 and 5 seasons just too see. You know right away. This staff is not going to get us UCF results in 10 years.
Before they hired their current coach, they went 13-0 and beat the only team that beat the two finalists in the ESPN Mythical National Championship Invitational, and thus declared themselves national champions. The Current UCF coach has not yet lived up to the previous regime's markedly high bar.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:35 am

What are you smoking? We haven't become bowl eligible yet.
Learn how to read . "We Went Bowling" refers to going to a bowling alley in Houston and bowling (aka tenpins) .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Dave breslin
Swell

This thread has turned into a synopsis of Fritz 2018. I’ll wait to give my two cents after the Navy game. ROLL WAVE
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:20 pm
Show Me wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:33 pm
Before they hired their current coach, they went 13-0 and beat the only team that beat the two finalists in the ESPN Mythical National Championship Invitational, and thus declared themselves national champions. The Current UCF coach has not yet lived up to the previous regime's markedly high bar.
I was thinking Scott Frost. But credit to their AD he hired another great coach. We had our shot with Rod but that didn’t happen. Frost was hired same year as Willie. He turned it around and the current coach has kept it rolling.