Houston wipes out the Wave 48-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 pm
The recruiting advantage that UH has is that the Houston area has an incredible number of high end recruits. As Barry Switzer used to say, "if I could get the top 10 recruits in Houston every year, I could win the national championship every year". Invariably, a handful of Houston's 4 star recruits want to stay home--so expect UH to grab a few 4 stars every year no matter what else is happening.
They've averaged one a year the last three years. That said, that's one more than we've had each of the last 3 years.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 pm I’ll never forget watching Tulane practice one day while Tommy Bowden was coach and one of the players must have done something wrong because one of the assistant coaches pulled the player by his face mask up directly into his face and had some choice words for him. Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez, and the rest of those assistant coaches didn’t mess around.
Wearing a jacket that was off-limits except to players that were dressed out?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bigger, Stronger Faster : Houston

Unable to Tackle, Run, Pass, Catch : Tulane
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 pm I’ll never forget watching Tulane practice one day while Tommy Bowden was coach and one of the players must have done something wrong because one of the assistant coaches pulled the player by his face mask up directly into his face and had some choice words for him. Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez, and the rest of those assistant coaches didn’t mess around.
But I bet TB and RR didn’t get to body surf as much as WF has. 🤪🤪
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:59 pm
Wearing a jacket that was off-limits except to players that were dressed out?
He was talking about those big thermal jackets they had for the players. Since players are in uniform, with only shirt sleeves and their pads, its not like they can put on a regular jacket. Since Oliver wasn't dressed out, he could have worn any jacket of his own that he wanted to. Maybe there were active players that didn't have one because Oliver was using it. I'm sure there were other things that have happened that built up to this, this just happened to be the thing that finally set Applewhite off. We'll never know.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm no fan of Applewhite's but the rules apply to everyone. I would think with the way Oliver has sat out the rest of the team appreciated what Applewhite did.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:52 am I'm no fan of Applewhite's but the rules apply to everyone. I would think with the way Oliver has sat out the rest of the team appreciated what Applewhite did.
That would be my thought too. I understand his concern for his future. I also understand he's part of a team and it sure looks like he's put himself over team.

Personally, I'd like to see something done to where players like Oliver, Fournette, etc, that are definite stars at the next level are provided with some sort of high dollar insurance policy against a career ending injury, either through the NCAA, the school, the NFL or some combination of the three. Not sure how to do it fairly, but its something to consider.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I believe players like him have such policies. They've been around for awhile IIRC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.