Houston wipes out the Wave 48-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I saw the same thing, Engineer. We never tried to get outside. Maybe that had something to do with the speed of Houston's defense, I don't know. I know they looked a lot faster than us. But at least some motion to confuse the defense would be nice. Or at least to make them have to think for a second.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am I saw the same thing, Engineer. We never tried to get outside. Maybe that had something to do with the speed of Houston's defense, I don't know. I know they looked a lot faster than us. But at least some motion to confuse the defense would be nice. Or at least to make them have to think for a second.
+1,000. UH had great team speed-they almost always do. But our offensive woes go way beyond what our opponents can or cannot do. Most our offensive problems are self-inflicted. No imaginative or reactive play calling, and no QB that can both run and pass. I’m still not so sure our best QB, in the Fritz era, wasn’t Brantley. One can only hope that Fritz et al can learn from what Briles showed them last night. Yes, we might beat Navy and get to 6-6, but it will feel like a hollow accomplishment because we all know there are serious fundamental problems with the Fritz regime.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 am
sader24 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 am Ruse is running the offense Fritz wants him to run. Like it or not, if we win next week Fritz would've improved by a win every year and be heading to a bowl game with nice wins over Memphis and South Florida. Nothing about the other three wins should really be called nice but wins they were. I have a hard time believing if this team goes 6-6 and gets to a bowl game that any changes will be made. It will be a sign for celebration in these parts and for this program even though most of us watching felt the team underachieved. The biggest issues with this program since Fritz has arrived have been 1) The complete failure and inability to find a QB. The right QB has this team at 8-3 right now. I'm sure they know that has to be fixed and I truly do believe they have tried tirelessly to rectify it, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. 2) The playcalling and plays themselves are often mind boggling and thoroughly confusing. I dont know if this has alot to do with the lack of a QB, we would be taking a huge leap of faith to just assume with the right QB this offense would be alot different. All I know is what I see in front of me every game and most of the time I flat out can't stand it. 3) There have been several games over the last few years that I feel we have lost due to an overly conservative style of play offensively with small leads that most in the crowd could see would lead to a loss. Off the top of my head would be Navy at home a couple years ago, Cincinnati last year I believe, Wake Forest at home this year for sure, SMU at home this year for sure. Probably the lack of trust in the QB has alot to do with these decisions, but once again I can only judge by what I see. I understand that when you're coaching a team sometimes you have to do things people on the outside hate or dont understand because you have a much better understanding of the personnel and personalities on your team, but I don't coach Tulane football. I just pay to watch it and that's what I see. Long story Long, a 6-6 record with this schedule is a step in the right direction, not as big of step as it should be, but a positive step. We of course have to win first or I would consider the season a step back. The recruiting has been better and improving. The biggest issue facing this program is a QB who can run the offense whatever it is and be dynamic and reliable in the process. Until that guy is in the program, this looks like a 5-7 win program pretty consistently. If we had that guy this season we win 9 games and play in the conference championship. I hate the playcalling and offense as much as anyone, but I can't call for Ruse's head when he's starting a QB he met 3 weeks before the season started.
This might be the first time, but I think I agree with everything sader said here. Its obvious to everyone that our playcalling sucks, but we don't know the personnel the way the coaching staff does. We do however, watch enough football at different levels to be knowledgeable and know what plays SHOULD be used in different situations. I'm also beginning to question what we call our offense. Whether you want to call it a read-option, an RPO, or a triple-option, I'm not sure anymore that there's an OPTION element to it at all. The play may have different options in it, but I'm convinced which option we use is determined pre-snap. Too many times you see the QB hand off the ball in the midst of a pile, while he's got open field to run. We ran a screen to Bradwell late, but even on that play McM started him down and double clutched before actually throwing it, giving the defense time to react. They definitely have more team speed than we do, especially on defense. Our offense looked slow last night. We just don't have a QB that appears natural running our type of offense.

Schedule was tougher than people realize, and we got two solid wins in conf this year. We've played 8 teams that are bowl bound, + Nicholls won their conf. Three of the eight are 9-1 on the year. Houston is now 8-3. I checked earlier in the week and I think there's only four G5 schools with a SOS higher than ours.

Let's hope Fritz can find the QB we need to make this system work.
From the poor execution of our one screen pass, I strongly suspect that we rarely if ever practice such perimeter plays. The same is probably true in regards to why our defense had such a tough time with the UH offense—they never see that kind of offense during practice.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good point HW about our D having issues with it since our 1's can't or don't do it. I'm sure they have the scout team do it but that's not going to begin to compare to another team's ones doing it to us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Well, it’s pretty clear, we can’t beat average teams on the road, unless you get a random occurrence like USF. I still have faith we can beat a bad Navy team at home, but I’m torn once again since this season is coming down to the last game of the year, which we have historically had a problem of closing out...

/disgusted by last nights crap show. OC and o-line coach needs to go, but we all know WF ain’t going to pull the trigger.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:26 am The short week caused a bunch of injuries on both sides. It’s going to hurt both teams going forward. Imagine UH has now lost both its best player on offense and defense. Leave the Thursday night football to high schools.
Any word on the status of Langham and Hall?
Not yet.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

To think we beat Houston 20-17 last year. Crazy season. Navy game probably going to be at 11am now.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

Looking at Rivals recruiting site, it should have been no surprise why Houston, Cinci & UCF are that much better than us. Houston has finished 7th, 1st & 6th over the last 3 years with (1) 5 star and (3) 4 star recruits. Cinci has finished 1st, 7th & 2nd with (2) 4 star recruits. UCF has finished 3rd, 2nd & 1st with (4) 4 star recruits. Tulane has finished 10th, 9th & 11th with zero 4 or 5 star guys. We just don't have the talent and I do not know if it is recruiting from the coaches, the Administration or a combination.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Pepper wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am Looking at Rivals recruiting site, it should have been no surprise why Houston, Cinci & UCF are that much better than us. Houston has finished 7th, 1st & 6th over the last 3 years with (1) 5 star and (3) 4 star recruits. Cinci has finished 1st, 7th & 2nd with (2) 4 star recruits. UCF has finished 3rd, 2nd & 1st with (4) 4 star recruits. Tulane has finished 10th, 9th & 11th with zero 4 or 5 star guys. We just don't have the talent and I do not know if it is recruiting from the coaches, the Administration or a combination.
Isn't that why Fritz was hired? So that he could do more for less? So far, it hasn't been that impressive, and, even worse, a sub-par Navy could legitimately threaten Tulane given Tulane's inability to get things done on its offensive possessions by limiting those possessions.
Dave breslin
Swell

I stated after the Wake game that we were lacking in offense and was mf’d. I still think we are high school coached because we either don’t have the talent or the coaching is lacking in the offensive plan. Poor tackling last night killed us. That was a first. I still think we are way ahead of the CJ/Price debacle. The guy with the “we want Bama”sign—-I’ll have what he’s drinking.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Pepper wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am Looking at Rivals recruiting site, it should have been no surprise why Houston, Cinci & UCF are that much better than us. Houston has finished 7th, 1st & 6th over the last 3 years with (1) 5 star and (3) 4 star recruits. Cinci has finished 1st, 7th & 2nd with (2) 4 star recruits. UCF has finished 3rd, 2nd & 1st with (4) 4 star recruits. Tulane has finished 10th, 9th & 11th with zero 4 or 5 star guys. We just don't have the talent and I do not know if it is recruiting from the coaches, the Administration or a combination.
That's odd, because 247 had us third in AAC last year. And since theirs is a composite, the recruiting services must have been pretty high on our class last year. Also, last year both DT Jeffrey Johnson and DB Dorian Camel were rated 4* at the end of the day. They may not have been Rivals 4*s, but they would have been really close. Not disagreeing with the premise, which is we still need more talent, but Fritz did an excellent job last season.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... erence=AAC
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Something else we should consider. Fritz may not be the coach to take us to the top, but I still think he's the right person to build our foundation. CJ built nothing. He got us a winning season, but it was all smoke and mirrors, with no way to sustain. Yes, our offense is not what we'd all like, but you can't deny that we're far better than we were when CJ left. Think about 1995-96. Teevens was obviously not the coach to win here, but he DID build up a solid base of talent, which Bowden and RR utilized to great success in their scheme. Maybe that's what we'll get with Fritz. Last year, we were an inch away from being in a bowl, and may actually have been screwed out of it. We're on the verge of bowl eligibility again. When was the last time we had consecutive "bowl quality teams" (a relative term I must admit)? My recollection says 1997 and 1998.

The key will be, when the time comes that we part ways with Fritz, that we replace him with someone who can take what he builds and take it to the next level of success.
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 am Ruse is running the offense Fritz wants him to run. Like it or not, if we win next week Fritz would've improved by a win every year and be heading to a bowl game with nice wins over Memphis and South Florida. Nothing about the other three wins should really be called nice but wins they were. I have a hard time believing if this team goes 6-6 and gets to a bowl game that any changes will be made. It will be a sign for celebration in these parts and for this program even though most of us watching felt the team underachieved. The biggest issues with this program since Fritz has arrived have been 1) The complete failure and inability to find a QB. The right QB has this team at 8-3 right now. I'm sure they know that has to be fixed and I truly do believe they have tried tirelessly to rectify it, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. 2) The playcalling and plays themselves are often mind boggling and thoroughly confusing. I dont know if this has alot to do with the lack of a QB, we would be taking a huge leap of faith to just assume with the right QB this offense would be alot different. All I know is what I see in front of me every game and most of the time I flat out can't stand it. 3) There have been several games over the last few years that I feel we have lost due to an overly conservative style of play offensively with small leads that most in the crowd could see would lead to a loss. Off the top of my head would be Navy at home a couple years ago, Cincinnati last year I believe, Wake Forest at home this year for sure, SMU at home this year for sure. Probably the lack of trust in the QB has alot to do with these decisions, but once again I can only judge by what I see. I understand that when you're coaching a team sometimes you have to do things people on the outside hate or dont understand because you have a much better understanding of the personnel and personalities on your team, but I don't coach Tulane football. I just pay to watch it and that's what I see. Long story Long, a 6-6 record with this schedule is a step in the right direction, not as big of step as it should be, but a positive step. We of course have to win first or I would consider the season a step back. The recruiting has been better and improving. The biggest issue facing this program is a QB who can run the offense whatever it is and be dynamic and reliable in the process. Until that guy is in the program, this looks like a 5-7 win program pretty consistently. If we had that guy this season we win 9 games and play in the conference championship. I hate the playcalling and offense as much as anyone, but I can't call for Ruse's head when he's starting a QB he met 3 weeks before the season started.
+1, McMillan has had enough starts now that the defensive coordintors know the slant is about all he has for passing. As for quaterback, we still don't have one. If for this season the Saints had Aaron Brooks back at QB with everything else the same, we might be 1-8 right now rather than 8-1. WF in 3 years still hasn't recruited a quarterback for his system, but may I ask, what is his system anyway? Clearly, the read triple option we thought we were buying that he ran at Georgia Southern has never really been seen at Tulane. The word I am hearing is the AAC corners and linebackers are appreciably faster than for the Mighty 'Belt and this explains why we have never seen his Georgia Southern offense at Tulane.

So, our search for a QB continues. In fairness to McMillan, he has now had only 4 starts and perhaps he will further develop as a QB.
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I know it won’t be Tulane and justifiably so after what happened at Baylor but I would not be surprised if some desperate win at all cost university hires Houston offensive coordinator Kendall Briles in the very near future as their head football coach. Probably some university in CUSA or the Sun Belt.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I haven't checked the numbers lately, but when UH got the commitment from Oliver, it was the first 5 star recruit to commit to a non-P5 in a number of years. At the same time roughly 8-10 4 star recruits (there's typically 150-160 of them) on average go to a non-P5 each year. Until we win, and win regularly, we shouldn't expect to be landing those recruits.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 am
Clearly, the read triple option we thought we were buying that he ran at Georgia Southern has never really been seen at Tulane. The word I am hearing is the AAC corners and linebackers are appreciably faster than for the Mighty 'Belt and this explains why we have never seen his Georgia Southern offense at Tulane.
The option offense has worked fine for Navy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bright Lights...Big City...too much for the Wave to handle...and that includes and especially the Staff
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:35 am
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am I saw the same thing, Engineer. We never tried to get outside. Maybe that had something to do with the speed of Houston's defense, I don't know. I know they looked a lot faster than us. But at least some motion to confuse the defense would be nice. Or at least to make them have to think for a second.
+1,000. UH had great team speed-they almost always do. But our offensive woes go way beyond what our opponents can or cannot do. Most our offensive problems are self-inflicted. No imaginative or reactive play calling, and no QB that can both run and pass. I’m still not so sure our best QB, in the Fritz era, wasn’t Brantley. One can only hope that Fritz et al can learn from what Briles showed them last night. Yes, we might beat Navy and get to 6-6, but it will feel like a hollow accomplishment because we all know there are serious fundamental problems with the Fritz regime.

Exactly! Well said!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:25 am
wave97 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 am Remarkably poor performance when you consider who wasn't playing for Houston.
Our defense has had a lot of success in disguising their intentions behind a man-to-man ruse. The combination of Kendal Briles schemes, super high tempo, and a highly mobile QB laid waste to us.
Ed Oliver can be assured that future NFL teams will have enough jackets on the sidelines for all. He also now has the good fortune of being drafted by an NFL team that is loaded with talent.
The announcers didn't seem to feel it would hurt his draft stock at all. They say he's a top-five talent. The only thing that will keep him out of the top five would be if the top five teams are looking for help at a different position. We're in a new day of college football. This guy has millions of dollars on the line and playing while not 100% healthy means he's not only risking reinjury, but also putting out poor quality footage for the scouts. IIRC, even Leonard Fournette skipped the LSU bowl game to avoid getting hurt. Yo're going to see more and more of this going forward. What kind of sucks is that everyone's so worried about protecting his ability to earn a living, but no one cares about the coach's.ability to earn a living. You build a program, you recruit better than other teams and have success, but if your best player decides he's done halfway through a season, it affects your ability to win, and potentially your job. If Houston ends up 8-4 (remember their school pres said they expect 10-2, 8-4 gets you fired), no ones going to say, "but his best player was out for half the season." All anyone sees is wins and losses. So why is preserving a players' earning ability more important that protecting a coach's earning ability?
Just get rid of the 3 years from high school rule and everything is good.
"So why is preserving a players' earning ability more important that protecting a coach's earning ability?" You're joking?
RobertM320
Green Wave

No, wave97, I'm not joking. I'm saying NEITHER one's career is more important than the other. And I agree, get rid of the 3 yrs from high school rule would eliminate that.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am
Isn't that why Fritz was hired? So that he could do more for less? So far, it hasn't been that impressive, and, even worse, a sub-par Navy could legitimately threaten Tulane given Tulane's inability to get things done on its offensive possessions by limiting those possessions.
I thought the same thing--that Fritz could do much more with far less. But teams that overperform, with less talent, do so with discipline and innovation.--two qualities that so far are seriously lacking in the Fritz regime.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:45 am Something else we should consider. Fritz may not be the coach to take us to the top, but I still think he's the right person to build our foundation. CJ built nothing. He got us a winning season, but it was all smoke and mirrors, with no way to sustain. Yes, our offense is not what we'd all like, but you can't deny that we're far better than we were when CJ left. Think about 1995-96. Teevens was obviously not the coach to win here, but he DID build up a solid base of talent, which Bowden and RR utilized to great success in their scheme. Maybe that's what we'll get with Fritz. Last year, we were an inch away from being in a bowl, and may actually have been screwed out of it. We're on the verge of bowl eligibility again. When was the last time we had consecutive "bowl quality teams" (a relative term I must admit)? My recollection says 1997 and 1998.

The key will be, when the time comes that we part ways with Fritz, that we replace him with someone who can take what he builds and take it to the next level of success.
So is the table being set for a return of Tommy Boy!!! He could even bring Rich Rod back for an encore as OC. Everything old would be new again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 pm
I haven't checked the numbers lately, but when UH got the commitment from Oliver, it was the first 5 star recruit to commit to a non-P5 in a number of years. At the same time roughly 8-10 4 star recruits (there's typically 150-160 of them) on average go to a non-P5 each year. Until we win, and win regularly, we shouldn't expect to be landing those recruits.
The recruiting advantage that UH has is that the Houston area has an incredible number of high end recruits. As Barry Switzer used to say, "if I could get the top 10 recruits in Houston every year, I could win the national championship every year". Invariably, a handful of Houston's 4 star recruits want to stay home--so expect UH to grab a few 4 stars every year no matter what else is happening.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am
I thought the same thing--that Fritz could do much more with far less. But teams that overperform, with less talent, do so with discipline and innovation.--two qualities that so far are seriously lacking in the Fritz regime.
=!,000,000

TB and RR recognized our talent deficit and schemed around it. That's coaching. They also demanded supreme discipline. The lack of discipline the past three years has been the most disappointing aspect of this regime.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I’ll never forget watching Tulane practice one day while Tommy Bowden was coach and one of the players must have done something wrong because one of the assistant coaches pulled the player by his face mask up directly into his face and had some choice words for him. Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez, and the rest of those assistant coaches didn’t mess around.