Houston wipes out the Wave 48-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

Right when I was about to get excited about going bowling, the Green Wave show me why we are what we thought we were.

msdos
Swell

Not sure what y’all were expecting, this is exactly what you get from an overpaid JV Coach
oliveandblue
Surge

msdos wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 pm Not sure what y’all were expecting, this is exactly what you get from an overpaid JV Coach
He's not on a ton of money. He can theoretically be bought out. His salary is really really low at only $1.2m/year.

I'm not that angry about losing. I'm bothered that the team came unprepared to play.

Navy game will tell me if this program has taken the next step. It's the last chance to erase the bad memories from last year.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm Listening to Graf with TV audio off. What's going on with Oliver and their coach? I would think that's not the sort of behavior that will raise his NFL draft stock.
Oliver definitley hurt his draft stock, and probably cost himself millions of dollars tonight. Applewhite should kick him off the team.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm Listening to Graf with TV audio off. What's going on with Oliver and their coach? I would think that's not the sort of behavior that will raise his NFL draft stock.
Oliver definitley hurt his draft stock, and probably cost himself millions of dollars tonight. Applewhite should kick him off the team.
He wore a jacket.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 pm
He wore a jacket.
Reserved for players playing the game. He’s above team rules.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

National TV beat down once again.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Winning streak was fun while it lasted. As I've said all along being one dimensional isn't going to get it done. TOP is a meaningless stat as many know. Teams can score quick which is why I said if we were going to be good this year we'd have to win shoot outs. That's college football today especially for programs like ours that will never get the linemen you need to be able to say we are going to run and you can't stop us. The recruiting needs to pick up big time. We need QB'a and at least 3 quality grad/JC offensive line transfers and of course some receivers. The offensive staff needs to go but I don't think anyone believes Fritz will do that.

Defensively we did well against some bad offenses but get exposed against teams with quality QB's.

ST's continue to have issues.

Reality check. We're a good ways away.

If you want to see what good coaches do look at Cincy. They had that big jump in year 2.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Navy game will be a massive Scrum down. We have the talent advantage, Navy has the coaching advantage. If Ruse isn’t fired after this season, then it is clear that Willie and the Boys have some kind of weird “Brotherhood of the Bell” arrangement going on— and we have no hope.
Show Me
Tsunami

6-6 feels like a disappointing season. Yes it’s a bowl eligible but I’m not feeling it.
I guess 5-7 would be a disaster at this point.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Doug Ruse should not be allowed on the team plane back to New Orleans. He should be forced to walk home. I hope Fritz has enough sense to fire Ruse at the end of the season. I agree that if we beat Navy and finish 6-6 I still won’t be feeling good about the direction of this program under Fritz. However, if Fritz gets rid of Ruse, and bring in a new offensive coordinator who runs an innovative scheme with a spread offense I will feel much better.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

6-6 is a massive let down. With any decent QB recruit or even MCM with a decent coordinater we have 2 more wins.

Ruse NEEDS to be fired. If we finish 5-7 that’s a massive hit on the program and Fritz gets one more year and is on the hot seat.

It’s really Dishearting because we should have 7/8 wins right now and be a year ahead in the rebuild (bowl last year).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They scored in less than 3 minutes on 6 of their 7 scoring drives:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... ab4de.html
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

Until Tulane learns how to compete and win these types of games ESPECIALLY on National TV, we will continue to wallow in the muck and mire of college football has beens. We AGAIN embarrassed ouselves on national television and choked in a big meaningful game for the program! This team WAS NOT PREPARED for this game. Unacceptable in every way! Embarrassing in every way!

By the way UH has a beautiful stadium, beautiful IPF and beautiful newly remodeled basketball arena .. They are serious, We are not!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
sader24
Tsunami

Ruse is running the offense Fritz wants him to run. Like it or not, if we win next week Fritz would've improved by a win every year and be heading to a bowl game with nice wins over Memphis and South Florida. Nothing about the other three wins should really be called nice but wins they were. I have a hard time believing if this team goes 6-6 and gets to a bowl game that any changes will be made. It will be a sign for celebration in these parts and for this program even though most of us watching felt the team underachieved. The biggest issues with this program since Fritz has arrived have been 1) The complete failure and inability to find a QB. The right QB has this team at 8-3 right now. I'm sure they know that has to be fixed and I truly do believe they have tried tirelessly to rectify it, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. 2) The playcalling and plays themselves are often mind boggling and thoroughly confusing. I dont know if this has alot to do with the lack of a QB, we would be taking a huge leap of faith to just assume with the right QB this offense would be alot different. All I know is what I see in front of me every game and most of the time I flat out can't stand it. 3) There have been several games over the last few years that I feel we have lost due to an overly conservative style of play offensively with small leads that most in the crowd could see would lead to a loss. Off the top of my head would be Navy at home a couple years ago, Cincinnati last year I believe, Wake Forest at home this year for sure, SMU at home this year for sure. Probably the lack of trust in the QB has alot to do with these decisions, but once again I can only judge by what I see. I understand that when you're coaching a team sometimes you have to do things people on the outside hate or dont understand because you have a much better understanding of the personnel and personalities on your team, but I don't coach Tulane football. I just pay to watch it and that's what I see. Long story Long, a 6-6 record with this schedule is a step in the right direction, not as big of step as it should be, but a positive step. We of course have to win first or I would consider the season a step back. The recruiting has been better and improving. The biggest issue facing this program is a QB who can run the offense whatever it is and be dynamic and reliable in the process. Until that guy is in the program, this looks like a 5-7 win program pretty consistently. If we had that guy this season we win 9 games and play in the conference championship. I hate the playcalling and offense as much as anyone, but I can't call for Ruse's head when he's starting a QB he met 3 weeks before the season started.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Umm, that would be FIVE DAYS before the season started. And McM is not the answer, at least not this year. Once Houston took away the quick slant, he had little to offer.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

Remarkably poor performance when you consider who wasn't playing for Houston.
Our defense has had a lot of success in disguising their intentions behind a man-to-man ruse. The combination of Kendal Briles schemes, super high tempo, and a highly mobile QB laid waste to us.
Ed Oliver can be assured that future NFL teams will have enough jackets on the sidelines for all. He also now has the good fortune of being drafted by an NFL team that is loaded with talent.
Pepper
Swell

sader24 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 am Ruse is running the offense Fritz wants him to run. Like it or not, if we win next week Fritz would've improved by a win every year and be heading to a bowl game with nice wins over Memphis and South Florida. Nothing about the other three wins should really be called nice but wins they were. I have a hard time believing if this team goes 6-6 and gets to a bowl game that any changes will be made. It will be a sign for celebration in these parts and for this program even though most of us watching felt the team underachieved. The biggest issues with this program since Fritz has arrived have been 1) The complete failure and inability to find a QB. The right QB has this team at 8-3 right now. I'm sure they know that has to be fixed and I truly do believe they have tried tirelessly to rectify it, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. 2) The playcalling and plays themselves are often mind boggling and thoroughly confusing. I dont know if this has alot to do with the lack of a QB, we would be taking a huge leap of faith to just assume with the right QB this offense would be alot different. All I know is what I see in front of me every game and most of the time I flat out can't stand it. 3) There have been several games over the last few years that I feel we have lost due to an overly conservative style of play offensively with small leads that most in the crowd could see would lead to a loss. Off the top of my head would be Navy at home a couple years ago, Cincinnati last year I believe, Wake Forest at home this year for sure, SMU at home this year for sure. Probably the lack of trust in the QB has alot to do with these decisions, but once again I can only judge by what I see. I understand that when you're coaching a team sometimes you have to do things people on the outside hate or dont understand because you have a much better understanding of the personnel and personalities on your team, but I don't coach Tulane football. I just pay to watch it and that's what I see. Long story Long, a 6-6 record with this schedule is a step in the right direction, not as big of step as it should be, but a positive step. We of course have to win first or I would consider the season a step back. The recruiting has been better and improving. The biggest issue facing this program is a QB who can run the offense whatever it is and be dynamic and reliable in the process. Until that guy is in the program, this looks like a 5-7 win program pretty consistently. If we had that guy this season we win 9 games and play in the conference championship. I hate the playcalling and offense as much as anyone, but I can't call for Ruse's head when he's starting a QB he met 3 weeks before the season started.
This. Plus a few Juco O/L.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 am Ruse is running the offense Fritz wants him to run. Like it or not, if we win next week Fritz would've improved by a win every year and be heading to a bowl game with nice wins over Memphis and South Florida. Nothing about the other three wins should really be called nice but wins they were. I have a hard time believing if this team goes 6-6 and gets to a bowl game that any changes will be made. It will be a sign for celebration in these parts and for this program even though most of us watching felt the team underachieved. The biggest issues with this program since Fritz has arrived have been 1) The complete failure and inability to find a QB. The right QB has this team at 8-3 right now. I'm sure they know that has to be fixed and I truly do believe they have tried tirelessly to rectify it, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. 2) The playcalling and plays themselves are often mind boggling and thoroughly confusing. I dont know if this has alot to do with the lack of a QB, we would be taking a huge leap of faith to just assume with the right QB this offense would be alot different. All I know is what I see in front of me every game and most of the time I flat out can't stand it. 3) There have been several games over the last few years that I feel we have lost due to an overly conservative style of play offensively with small leads that most in the crowd could see would lead to a loss. Off the top of my head would be Navy at home a couple years ago, Cincinnati last year I believe, Wake Forest at home this year for sure, SMU at home this year for sure. Probably the lack of trust in the QB has alot to do with these decisions, but once again I can only judge by what I see. I understand that when you're coaching a team sometimes you have to do things people on the outside hate or dont understand because you have a much better understanding of the personnel and personalities on your team, but I don't coach Tulane football. I just pay to watch it and that's what I see. Long story Long, a 6-6 record with this schedule is a step in the right direction, not as big of step as it should be, but a positive step. We of course have to win first or I would consider the season a step back. The recruiting has been better and improving. The biggest issue facing this program is a QB who can run the offense whatever it is and be dynamic and reliable in the process. Until that guy is in the program, this looks like a 5-7 win program pretty consistently. If we had that guy this season we win 9 games and play in the conference championship. I hate the playcalling and offense as much as anyone, but I can't call for Ruse's head when he's starting a QB he met 3 weeks before the season started.
This might be the first time, but I think I agree with everything sader said here. Its obvious to everyone that our playcalling sucks, but we don't know the personnel the way the coaching staff does. We do however, watch enough football at different levels to be knowledgeable and know what plays SHOULD be used in different situations. I'm also beginning to question what we call our offense. Whether you want to call it a read-option, an RPO, or a triple-option, I'm not sure anymore that there's an OPTION element to it at all. The play may have different options in it, but I'm convinced which option we use is determined pre-snap. Too many times you see the QB hand off the ball in the midst of a pile, while he's got open field to run. We ran a screen to Bradwell late, but even on that play McM started him down and double clutched before actually throwing it, giving the defense time to react. They definitely have more team speed than we do, especially on defense. Our offense looked slow last night. We just don't have a QB that appears natural running our type of offense.

Schedule was tougher than people realize, and we got two solid wins in conf this year. We've played 8 teams that are bowl bound, + Nicholls won their conf. Three of the eight are 9-1 on the year. Houston is now 8-3. I checked earlier in the week and I think there's only four G5 schools with a SOS higher than ours.

Let's hope Fritz can find the QB we need to make this system work.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 am Remarkably poor performance when you consider who wasn't playing for Houston.
Our defense has had a lot of success in disguising their intentions behind a man-to-man ruse. The combination of Kendal Briles schemes, super high tempo, and a highly mobile QB laid waste to us.
Ed Oliver can be assured that future NFL teams will have enough jackets on the sidelines for all. He also now has the good fortune of being drafted by an NFL team that is loaded with talent.
The announcers didn't seem to feel it would hurt his draft stock at all. They say he's a top-five talent. The only thing that will keep him out of the top five would be if the top five teams are looking for help at a different position. We're in a new day of college football. This guy has millions of dollars on the line and playing while not 100% healthy means he's not only risking reinjury, but also putting out poor quality footage for the scouts. IIRC, even Leonard Fournette skipped the LSU bowl game to avoid getting hurt. Yo're going to see more and more of this going forward. What kind of sucks is that everyone's so worried about protecting his ability to earn a living, but no one cares about the coach's.ability to earn a living. You build a program, you recruit better than other teams and have success, but if your best player decides he's done halfway through a season, it affects your ability to win, and potentially your job. If Houston ends up 8-4 (remember their school pres said they expect 10-2, 8-4 gets you fired), no ones going to say, "but his best player was out for half the season." All anyone sees is wins and losses. So why is preserving a players' earning ability more important that protecting a coach's earning ability?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wavemania
Surge

Rob, glad you brought up Nichols. If this coaching staff had gotten Chase Fourcade the last 2 years would have been different. Unbelievable that they didn’t offer him. There is plenty of local talented QBs that could run this type of offense and Tulane isn’t even considering them.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'd love to believe we are just a QB away. First off as noted above they haven't been able to recruit the position. Howard can run the option part but word is that he has issues passing. Hopefully he uses this year off to improve that area of his game. It gives me pause though because word is elsewhere that the QB's that left did so b/c they didn't believe Ruse could develop them. Secondly we still have serious issues on the line. Plays get blown up before they can get started. We lose three off the line,Fisher,Briggs and Leglue. Now someone will say well we have Tyler Johnson and McCleod back and they have started. They did and they weren't anywhere near good. It's why one was replaced by Fisher and the other by freshman Claybrook. We lack quality players at WR and TE.

The team is still too undisciplined with poor penalties and poor tackling. That's the difference with good coaching. As I posted above you see the jump Cincy made and it was made in year two. They look like a well oiled machine. We don't.

The last recruiting class was a step up for us but that's partly low bar syndrome. So far the upcoming class is not looking good at all. We're going to have to bring in a good number of transfers to make up for that.

This was clearly a down year for the conference and especially our division. That's why I said to make an impression this season we had to win at least 8. To really get fan and media attention we needed to win 10. Didn't get it done.

Hopefully a miracle happens and we shed some of the current commits and replace them with more quality ones.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The short week caused a bunch of injuries on both sides. It’s going to hurt both teams going forward. Imagine UH has now lost both its best player on offense and defense. Leave the Thursday night football to high schools.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:26 am The short week caused a bunch of injuries on both sides. It’s going to hurt both teams going forward. Imagine UH has now lost both its best player on offense and defense. Leave the Thursday night football to high schools.
Any word on the status of Langham and Hall?
anEngineer
Riptide

I am also disappointed in the offense, but I wouldn't use "conservative" to describe it. My problem is that the same play/read seems to be run over and over (between the tackles). There is no motion that spreads the field horizonatally, at all. If you don't feel like you have a good enough QB or receivers, you are limited vertically, but horizontal motion is just a matter of doing it. If I am on defense against Tulane, I'm packing my OLBs tight and know that no one is going to get outside of me because no one is even going to try.

McMillen has been successful pulling the ball and running the past 2 weeks, but he didn't do that last night until the game was out of reach. Was that read not there all night? I agree that it's been curious that this staff has not been able to land the QB that fits the offense, but what's being done to change that? We can debate how good Joe Burrow may or may not be, but he's not at LSU if Coach O doesn't change his OC and change the perception. Right now, Tulane offense looks like more of the same and if that perception doesn't change, the QB position looks like a dead end to any recruit.

Coaching isn't always fair. Good coaches get fired every year because there just needs to be a change for whatever reason. I can't help but think that Coach Ruse has the Triple Option mentality where you really only have 5-6 plays to either side and you just keep running them, counting on that you're going to bust a few every now and then. We definitely need an offensive shakeup in this program if we are going to move forward and attract more explosive skill players.