Houston game week info

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Houston's lost two of their starting defensive linemen for the season, and that doesn't include Oliver. I watched part of their game vs Temple, and the announcers were talking as if Oliver may not come back at all and just get healthy for the draft. Sure seems like that's bailing on your teammates, though. We should be able to run the ball against these guys. If we can keep it away from their offense, and get a stop here and there, we may just have a shot at this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

They may score a lot, but for a team with a player like Ed Oliver on the line, they don't seem to play a lot of defense. I realize he's missed the last three games, but still. As for our defense, you have to admit we've stepped up. We're playing in a league that scores points in bunches, yet the last 3 weeks we've given up 17, 15 and 18. Tulsa followed with 49 against UConn, USF had just scored 36 the previous wk vs Houston, and ECU had just scored 41 the previous week against Memphis.

Only Cincy and UCF give up fewer points per game than us.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php? ... 7&s=300937
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Catching them at a good time:

Coach doesn’t release injury reports, but here’s what we know (may have missed some):

Offense:
•RB Mulbah Car - Out
•RB Terrence Williams - Out
•WR Courtney Lark - Out
•WR Keith Corbin - Unknown
•WR Jeremy Singleton - Unknown
•WR Bryson Smith - Unknown

Defense:
•DE Jerard Carter - Out
•DE Isaiah Chambers - Out
•S Garrett Davis - Out
•DT Ed Oliver - Questionable
•DT Aymiel Fleming - Questionable
•DE Payton Turner - Suspended for 1st half of Tulane game

BTW, seems two Houston threads should be merged.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Defense is eager:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 979a1.html

Teamer is the AAC Defensive Player of the Week. Congrats!
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:34 pm
Houston's lost two of their starting defensive linemen for the season, and that doesn't include Oliver. I watched part of their game vs Temple, and the announcers were talking as if Oliver may not come back at all and just get healthy for the draft. Sure seems like that's bailing on your teammates, though. We should be able to run the ball against these guys. If we can keep it away from their offense, and get a stop here and there, we may just have a shot at this.
He is an early first round draft pick at a position where the injury rate is over 200% in a single season. Ed Oliver owes nothing to the Houston program. The fact that he's forced to be "three years out of high school" is criminal. When a special player comes along (Fournette & Oliver), there should be nothing standing in the way of their all too short NFL careers
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wish I could make it down to houston for this game ! Hopefully a solid Tulane alum presence will show up, I know a good deal of greenies who came from the area and many others who went there to work after Tulane.
After a 3 game win streak and being tied for 1st I’m allowed some optimism hah!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Applewhite said he’s not giving any reps to Ed Oliver this week and theyre all going to his backups. This definitely looks like Oliver is done for the season and will help wave significantly !
wave97
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 pm Applewhite said he’s not giving any reps to Ed Oliver this week and theyre all going to his backups. This definitely looks like Oliver is done for the season and will help wave significantly !
Thank God! Applewhite gets it. Ed Oliver probably would play if it were up to him. Thank God for Ed Oliver's agent & Applewhite.
Remember a guy named Charlie Hall? I remember him screaming in agony ten years after his last snap in a Tulane uniform. Bubba Porsche & Dr. Brunet were placing their entire body weight on Coach Hall's knee in an effort to give him some relief from the built up scar tissue . I hope Coach Hall has a new set of knees.
The Navy punk o-lineman who took out Ed Oliver should have a sledgehammer taken to his sh*tbird knees. He knew exactly what he was doing & he was coached to use tactics that bolster inferior talent (Navy), at the expense of the more talented opposition.
But the officials keep on protecting QB's & wideouts on crossing patterns while completely ignoring the barbarous behavior of a few select programs.
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 am, edited 11 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

WOW I knew Houston’s D was bad, but that article is eye opening. I reccomend every read it- but here are a couple highlights:

“In back-to-back losses to SMU and Temple, the Cougars have given up 104 points and 1,051 yards.

The latest embarrassment came Saturday, when Temple running back Ryquell Armstead ran for 210 yards and an AAC single-game record six touchdowns.

"The holes were just ridiculous," said Armstead, who averaged seven yards per carry against UH's banged-up defensive front. "I couldn't believe I went in untouched about half the time."”

They move on to discuss the pass defense which somehow is ever worse, and is actually the worst in D1.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:08 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 pm Applewhite said he’s not giving any reps to Ed Oliver this week and theyre all going to his backups. This definitely looks like Oliver is done for the season and will help wave significantly !
Thank God! Applewhite gets it. Ed Oliver probably would play if it were up to him. Thank God for Ed Oliver's agent & Applewhite.
Remember a guy named Charlie Hall? I remember him screaming in agony ten years after his last snap in a Tulane uniform. Bubba Porsche & Dr. Brunet were placing their entire body weight on Coach Hall's knee in an effort to give him some relief from the built up scar tissue . I hope Coach Hall has a new set of knees.
The Navy punk o-lineman who took out Ed Oliver should have a sledgehammer taken to his sh*tbird knees. He knew exactly what he was doing & he was coached to use tactics that bolster inferior talent (Navy), at the expense of the more talented opposition.
But the officials keep on protecting QB's & wideouts on crossing patterns while completely ignoring the barbarous behavior of a few select programs.
Totally agree that something has to be done about the OL "blocking" at Navy. Every defensive lineman that plays against them is at risk of these types of crippling injuries due to this blocking style that is oddly illegal and protected at the same time.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for those driving from NOLA to HOU beware of teh speed traps just west of Lafayette all the way to teh state line and vice versa...depending when U are returning there is I-10 road work in BR just as U cross the Bridge, U may be better off taking I-49 south and coming across the Huey onto Clearview Pkwy...this route is 20 miles farther, but about 90 minutes faster depending on what time U will be driving back thru BR
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

With Houston's defensive issues, I hope we run the ball early and often and take advantage of Houston trying to stop the run like we did last week. If we rack up another 500 yards of offense, we should keep the Cougars off the field enough to outscore them. Oliver not playing would be a HUGE factor.

Houston is playing for the division title as much as Tulane is. I'd be surprised if they don't have every healthy body available. It's probably more important to Applewhite's job status than Fritz's.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V