Home and Home With ULaLa

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Guess we're stuck with the ULL trolls that love this forum for another 9 years.
https://twitter.com/Guersmith/status/10 ... 7513750535

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

just whne ya think we are upgrading...two with La Laf.....what a joke, Texas State in San Marcos, or UTSA in San Antonio would have been better for recruiting...but not TD....travelin' to Laugh-eye-ette
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great move for ULL. I’ll leave it at that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

I would have preferred USM for a home and home. However, I understand that the business for Popeye's fried chicken always surges whenever ULaLa comes to town so I'm sure that was a factor. When you consider the additional overtime that the La Dept of Highways expends picking up empty Busch cans and chicken bones along the I-10 corridor between here and Laughayette following the game, it must add quite a boost to the local economy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd rather we play them than UTSA or Texas State by a wide margin, Woody. ULaLa will fill the stadium. I wish we got the first home game of the two, or even a 2 for 1. But getting their fans to buy tickets will be big for the program. Who knows where we'll be (as a team and us posters) by the time these games are played?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Dave breslin
Swell

I saw a documentary about ULAlA and their alumnus said “Momma sayz dats good”.
ccap05
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm I would have preferred USM for a home and home. However, I understand that the business for Popeye's fried chicken always surges whenever ULaLa comes to town so I'm sure that was a factor. When you consider the additional overtime that the La Dept of Highways expends picking up empty Busch cans and chicken bones along the I-10 corridor between here and Laughayette following the game, it must add quite a boost to the local economy.
I hate to nitpick, but based on what a ULL fan (who also had a third cousin or some such who attended Tulane) posted on this board during one of his brand building forays that the UL-L crowd prefers Rouses fried chicken. My memory, which is not always 100% correct because I tend to read such posts after a bout of drinking, is that he bragged that the UL-L fans found a Rouses somewhere in NOLA and enjoyed the fried chicken and hung out in the parking lot having a pep rally.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:51 pm I'd rather we play them than UTSA or Texas State by a wide margin, Woody. ULaLa will fill the stadium. I wish we got the first home game of the two, or even a 2 for 1. But getting their fans to buy tickets will be big for the program. Who knows where we'll be (as a team and us posters) by the time these games are played?
If U read my entire post, I said San Marcos or San Antonio would be good for recruiting purposes, I said nothing about a home and home with either one...La Tech or ULM could have filled that void
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

ccap05 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:00 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm I would have preferred USM for a home and home. However, I understand that the business for Popeye's fried chicken always surges whenever ULaLa comes to town so I'm sure that was a factor. When you consider the additional overtime that the La Dept of Highways expends picking up empty Busch cans and chicken bones along the I-10 corridor between here and Laughayette following the game, it must add quite a boost to the local economy.
I hate to nitpick, but based on what a ULL fan (who also had a third cousin or some such who attended Tulane) posted on this board during one of his brand building forays that the UL-L crowd prefers Rouses fried chicken. My memory, which is not always 100% correct because I tend to read such posts after a bout of drinking, is that he bragged that the UL-L fans found a Rouses somewhere in NOLA and enjoyed the fried chicken and hung out in the parking lot having a pep rally.
The Rouses @ Baronne & Girod near the Superdome. Yep, 'dem Cajuns luv 'dat Rouses fried chicken! :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:02 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:51 pm I'd rather we play them than UTSA or Texas State by a wide margin, Woody. ULaLa will fill the stadium. I wish we got the first home game of the two, or even a 2 for 1. But getting their fans to buy tickets will be big for the program. Who knows where we'll be (as a team and us posters) by the time these games are played?
If U read my entire post, I said San Marcos or San Antonio would be good for recruiting purposes, I said nothing about a home and home with either one...La Tech or ULM could have filled that void
I'd like La Tech, but would much prefer Ula=la to ULM. I think playing a certain team in a certain geographical location for recruiting purposes is over rated. It allows the coaches to visit local HS's and players if they dont travel with the team. But these days few recruits are going to the game to see teams they've never really followed, so where's the attraction? The 3 star recruits we really want to land are not likely to think of Texas State or UTSA as their ultimate landing ground. Does that mean we won't contend for some mutual recruits? Hell no, it just means we won't be making big inroads in Tx playing a single game in San Marcos or San Antonio in 2024 or 2027.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:34 pm
I'd like La Tech, but would much prefer Ula=la to ULM. I think playing a certain team in a certain geographical location for recruiting purposes is over rated. It allows the coaches to visit local HS's and players if they dont travel with the team. But these days few recruits are going to the game to see teams they've never really followed, so where's the attraction? The 3 star recruits we really want to land are not likely to think of Texas State or UTSA as their ultimate landing ground. Does that mean we won't contend for some mutual recruits? Hell no, it just means we won't be making big inroads in Tx playing a game there in 2024 or 2027.
Playing in San Antonio or San Marcos gives the recruits in central texas an opportunity to attend a game with their family when many may not have the chance to go to NOLA for the officila visit...make no mistake Tulane will continue to recruit Texas...hell Houston to San Antonio is about 3 hour drive...Austin to San Antonio about an hour maybe 90 miutes tops...playing La Laf benefits La Laf more than it does Tulane
cajunfanatico
Swell

As usual, Dave is a voice of reason on the forum. And though I do understand that while some of you guys enjoy making fun of the Cajun program (and Cajuns in particular), others are dead serious that our two programs playing one another in sports is somehow beneath Tulane. To that I'd have to ask, why?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:50 pm
I'd like La Tech, but would much prefer Ula=la to ULM. I think playing a certain team in a certain geographical location for recruiting purposes is over rated. It allows the coaches to visit local HS's and players if they dont travel with the team. But these days few recruits are going to the game to see teams they've never really followed, so where's the attraction? The 3 star recruits we really want to land are not likely to think of Texas State or UTSA as their ultimate landing ground. Does that mean we won't contend for some mutual recruits? Hell no, it just means we won't be making big inroads in Tx playing a game there in 2024 or 2027.
Playing in San Antonio or San Marcos gives the recruits in central texas an opportunity to attend a game with their family when many may not have the chance to go to NOLA for the officila visit...make no mistake Tulane will continue to recruit Texas...hell Houston to San Antonio is about 3 hour drive...Austin to San Antonio about an hour maybe 90 miutes tops...playing La Laf benefits La Laf more than it does Tulane
But virtually every game is available to watch on some media. I don't doubt for a second that we'll continue to recruit Texas. But do you really think recruits are going to drive a few hours or THREE hours to see Tulane play Texas State or UTSA? Maybe 20-30 years ago, but not today.

And who cares if it benefits La La more than Tulane? I think filling the stands and creating SOME excitment is better than playing a team NOBODY in New Orleans gives a rats ass about. I just don't see much benefit in playing TxState or UTSA. Those games would draw a decimal point TV rating, if any. We'd do just as well playing Akron or Dayton for crying out loud. Are there as many recruits there as in Texas? No. But they never see Tulane. We already play regularly in Texas.

We're going to play an OOC game against a Louisiana team every year it seems. Deal with it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:55 pm
As usual, Dave is a voice of reason on the forum. And though I do understand that while some of you guys enjoy making fun of the Cajun program (and Cajuns in particular), others are dead serious that our two programs playing one another in sports is somehow beneath Tulane. To that I'd have to ask, why?
The "Why" is obvious, beating LaLaf means nothing to Tulane on a national scale...the Sun Belt is rated below CUSA by the national media....playing in Lafayette means nothing to recruiting..LaLaf beating Tulane an AAC team, means something to a Sun Belt school and it's Conference......
that takes nothing away from LaLaf or it's programs, it is all about perception on a national level..
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:50 pm
But virtually every game is available to watch on some media. I don't doubt for a second that we'll continue to recruit Texas. But do you really think recruits are going to drive a few hours or THREE hours to see Tulane play Texas State or UTSA? Maybe 20-30 years ago, but not today.

And who cares if it benefits La La more than Tulane? I think filling the stands and creating SOME excitment is better than playing a team NOBODY in New Orleans gives a rats ass about. I just don't see much benefit in playing TxState or UTSA. Those games would draw a decimal point TV rating, if any. We'd do just as well playing Akron or Dayton for crying out loud. Are there as many recruits there as in Texas? No. But they never see Tulane. We already play regularly in Texas.

We're going to play an OOC game against a Louisiana team every year it seems. Deal with it.
once again, I never said anyting about playing UTSA ot Tx State in NOLA !!!! READ MY POST !!!!... I said bring in LA Tech or ULM or Southern Miss
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm once again, I never said anyting about playing UTSA ot Tx State in NOLA !!!! READ MY POST !!!!... I said bring in LA Tech or ULM or Southern Miss
So, we should play solo road games at UTSA and Tx State? That's the most ridiculous of your posts, if that's what you are suggesting! If we're going to do that, we're going to play schools like OSU, ND, OU, etc 1-0 and make a lot of money and get 100000% more exposure than playing UTSA or Tx State.
DrBox
Riptide

Exciting
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:35 pm
The "Why" is obvious, beating LaLaf means nothing to Tulane on a national scale...the Sun Belt is rated below CUSA by the national media....playing in Lafayette means nothing to recruiting..LaLaf beating Tulane an AAC team, means something to a Sun Belt school and it's Conference......
that takes nothing away from LaLaf or it's programs, it is all about perception on a national level..
Neither of our football programs receive national attention worth mentioning......other than when we get stomped by an Alabama or an Ohio State.....and I doubt that's the type of national attention you're suggesting.

As for your comments about C-USA and the Belt, there are only a handful of teams in the AAC that anyone, year in and year out, considers head and shoulders above those two leagues or the rest of the G-5's.. And unfortunately, with each passing year, all of us not P-5's are beginning to look more and more alike.

Like it or not, games played between in-state and regional rivals make a difference to fans and imho, that's where the focus should be. One need only look at the attendance of the NO Bowl those few years ago when Tulane played the Cajuns to know that such a game matters to many. I'd like to see us play every year, home and home though I'm sure that's not in the cards. Same applies to LaTech.

I believe a home and home series is in the works for the Cajuns and USM. We recently signed something with Rice as well, though I don't know the details.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DrBox
Riptide

cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm Like it or not, games played between in-state and regional rivals make a difference to fans and imho, that's where the focus should be.
There is no rivarly. Most Tulane fans don't give a sh,, about this game. It's just an easy game for a Tulane AD to schedule.
Plus too much baggage from the ULL fan base. Just not interested in dealing with that.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DrBox wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:51 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm Like it or not, games played between in-state and regional rivals make a difference to fans and imho, that's where the focus should be.
There is no rivarly. Most Tulane fans don't give a sh,, about this game. It's just an easy game for a Tulane AD to schedule.
Plus too much baggage from the ULL fan base. Just not interested in dealing with that.
There were 54,728 in attendance at the 2013 New Orleans Bowl, the all-time record crowd. Are you suggesting that most were Cajun fans? During the 2016 football season, the Cajun - Green Wave game at Yulman outdrew Navy, Memphis, and Temple. The biggest draw at Yulman was Southern, your opening game.

I suspect somebody at Tulane gives a sh about regional rivalries.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm once again, I never said anyting about playing UTSA ot Tx State in NOLA !!!! READ MY POST !!!!... I said bring in LA Tech or ULM or Southern Miss
So, we should play solo road games at UTSA and Tx State? That's the most ridiculous of your posts, if that's what you are suggesting! If we're going to do that, we're going to play schools like OSU, ND, OU, etc 1-0 and make a lot of money and get 100000% more exposure than playing UTSA or Tx State.
rather get the media exposure in San Antonio and Austin than in Lafayette........U brought up La-Laf...now if ya talkin OSU, ND Michigan...thats a whole nother discussion...but La Laf, media wise does not even equal UTSA or TX State
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Oh no!! Now we will have to deal with ultra sensitive Cajun fans getting their panties all tied up in a wad when we call them by their god given name, which is U LA LA, UUUhh LA LA, ULL, or Lafayette.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm
rather get the media exposure in San Antonio and Austin than in Lafayette........U brought up La-Laf...now if ya talkin OSU, ND Michigan...thats a whole nother discussion...but La Laf, media wise does not even equal UTSA or TX State
We will agree to disagree on that one, 'nut. The thread is ABOUT Ula-la, I didn't bring it up! I brought up the big name schools (you added Michigan, which I agree with!) only to say those are the only ones that we should give a 1 away game to without getting a return home game, which your previous posts implied.

I do think the fan base would love to have USM on the schedule more regularly as well. Troy, get that done! It's a rivalry game with a heralded trophy, and USM fans love to travel to New Orleans.
wave97
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm Oh no!! Now we will have to deal with ultra sensitive Cajun fans getting their panties all tied up in a wad when we call them by their god given name, which is U LA LA, UUUhh LA LA, ULL, or Lafayette.
I prefer Southwestern Louisiana.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 am
Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm Oh no!! Now we will have to deal with ultra sensitive Cajun fans getting their panties all tied up in a wad when we call them by their god given name, which is U LA LA, UUUhh LA LA, ULL, or Lafayette.
I prefer Southwestern Louisiana.
I prefer Southwest Louisiana Institute of Technolgy ( of what I am not too sure ) home of the Bulldogs...and for all of U TX State haters 45 miles north to Austin or 45 miles south to San Antonio...what the hell do U get 45 miles from Lafayette ?
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.