ECU Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Super nervous about this game. Ugh. Tailgating will be a mess with all of the forecasted rain, but the forecast calls for great Fall weather on Saturday.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

I like our matchups with ECU & Houston providing Ed Oliver doesn't have a miraculous recovery. I like our defense holding the Kendal Briles show to under 40 pts.
My concern is Navy. Does anyone know the health status of our upper-class d-lineman? Our young d-lineman are going to be introduced to something they've never experienced and the flex bone blocking scheme is very difficult to get a good look in practice with zone blocking o-lineman. Our front 6/7 are going to get physically mugged on every single play. I hope our defense will be ready with a two-deep rotation, we're going to need it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:12 am I like our matchups with ECU & Houston providing Ed Oliver doesn't have a miraculous recovery. I like our defense holding the Kendal Briles show to under 40 pts.
My concern is Navy. Does anyone know the health status of our upper-class d-lineman? Our young d-lineman are going to be introduced to something they've never experienced and the flex bone blocking scheme is very difficult to get a good look in practice with zone blocking o-lineman. Our front 6/7 are going to get physically mugged on every single play. I hope our defense will be ready with a two-deep rotation, we're going to need it.
While I understand your concern, and your points about upper class Midshipmen having an advantage over our young defensive front, I fear Houston a whole lot more than a Navy team whose last victory was September 15 versus Lehigh. I hope that game on the 24th is relatively early in the day.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sample will be a game time decision:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/tul ... ckoff.html

The article also says that after a shoulder injury Banks will be the back-up this week. That conflicts with a report on our Rivals site that says he is still out. So who knows.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:00 pm
wave97 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:12 am I like our matchups with ECU & Houston providing Ed Oliver doesn't have a miraculous recovery. I like our defense holding the Kendal Briles show to under 40 pts.
While I understand your concern, and your points about upper class Midshipmen having an advantage over our young defensive front, I fear Houston a whole lot more than a Navy team whose last victory was September 15 versus Lehigh. I hope that game on the 24th is relatively early in the day.
It is Navy's style of play that is the issue. Opposing AAC West defenses have become more acquainted with the style of play required to beat Navy, (Army was smart, they have resisted joining a conference). Familiarity is not the wishbone's friend. Tulane sporting Freshman d-lineman will be a recipe for disaster IMO.
BTW: Navy will beat Army this year.
Last edited by wave97 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:01 pm Sample will be a game time decision:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/tul ... ckoff.html

The article also says that after a shoulder injury Banks will be the back-up this week. That conflicts with a report on our Rivals site that says he is still out. So who knows.
Thank you for the injury update.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:12 pm
It is Navy's style of play that is the issue. Opposing AAC West defenses have become more acquainted with the style of play required to beat Navy, (Army was smart, they have resisted joining a conference). Familiarity is not the wishbone's friend. Tulane sporting Freshman d-lineman will be a recipe for disaster IMO.
I'd bet that Army beats Navy, even though they've already won the trophy for the service academy round robin. Our coaches know Navy as well as any other coaches in the conference/division. Army left a conference--C-USA-- when they couldn't do well in it and were able to get their own TV deal as an independent.

I think Army is going to blow out Navy. It's a progression. Three years ago they should have won bud didn't. They did win the last two years. This year shapes up to be a BIG Army victory. But then again, that's why they line up and play the games.

BTW: The Houston monster D-lineman is supposedly back for this week's game. They're a much better team than Navy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755
Tsunami

The Reflector article reminds the reader, "Did you know? Tulane is seeking its second above-.500 conference finish in the last 20 years.

Thanks for absolutely nothing, Scott Cowen!!!! :x
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm
The Reflector article reminds the reader, "Did you know? Tulane is seeking its second above-.500 conference finish in the last 20 years."

Thanks for absolutely nothing, Scott Cowen!!!! :x
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 pm
I'd bet that Army beats Navy, even though they've already won the trophy for the service academy round robin. Our coaches know Navy as well as any other coaches in the conference/division. Army left a conference--C-USA-- when they couldn't do well in it and were able to get their own TV deal as an independent.

I think Army is going to blow out Navy. It's a progression. Three years ago they should have won bud didn't. They did win the last two years. This year shapes up to be a BIG Army victory. But then again, that's why they line up and play the games.

BTW: The Houston monster D-lineman is supposedly back for this week's game. They're a much better team than Navy.
You are still completely missing my point. I never said Navy was a better football team, they seldom are. We stand a better chance of beating Houston (a better football team) than we do of beating Navy relying on true freshman d-lineman who have no experience playing a two-gap technique against the wishbone.
Dave breslin
Swell

I am only concerned with beating ECU. We haven’t earned the right to think about anyone except the next victim!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 pm I am only concerned with beating ECU. We haven’t earned the right to think about anyone except the next victim!!
This.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 pm
While I understand your concern, and your points about upper class Midshipmen linemen having an advantage over our young defensive front, I fear Houston a whole lot more than a Navy team whose last victory was September 15 versus Lehigh. I hope that game on the 24th is relatively early in the day.

You are still completely missing my point. I never said Navy was a better football team, they seldom are. We stand a better chance of beating Houston (a better football team) than we do of beating Navy relying on true freshman d-lineman who have no experience playing a two-gap technique against the wishbone.
I didn't miss your point, as I emphasized it above. You missed out on me agreeing with your point, probably didn't read my first reply to your post in it's entirety. But a team that hasn't won since Sept 15th versus Lehigh and is DFL in the division is nowhere near as much to fear as Houston. And frankly, I fear ECU this week more than Navy. As far as your point that Navy is "seldom a better football team" than Tulane, that makes me laugh. They've been much more competitive on the big stage than Tulane over the course of my lifetime; this is a down year for Navy (and I know very well that they can recruit 100's and only put the NCAA limit 85 on the active roster, BFD.)

Lets take it one step at a time. Beat ECU this week. Worry about Houston next week.
wave97
Swell

May God bless you!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:36 am The ECU View...
http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2018/11/09 ... tchup.html
Amazing that they have avg’d over 33,000 in attendance with that record.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am
With all of the entertainment options available in Greenville....
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am
Only because of presold season tickets. They're drawing really poorly for an ECU team.

Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium was at about one-fourth of its 50,000 capacity last Saturday for the Pirates’ 59-41 loss to Memphis.

That's about 12.5K.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson