Tulane blows out USF and Kansas’ coach is fired the next days. Coincidence?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Don't forget the current Purdue coach. Purdue had been DOA for years....

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
TXWave88
Surge

I have a buddy of mine who went to KU and he posted on facebook who people would want as a replacement. Les Miles of course most popular, but did see more than expected WF's thrown in the mix with responses of people asking about WF. Those are just fans, but people in Kansas know WF and its not because of anything to do with Tulane. Having said that, not happening.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm Kansas ain't going to hire Willie...... Les Miles, Todd Orlando, Sonny Cumbie, Ruffin McNeil, Bill Clark and others, will all get calls, long before The Willie
+1. With Willie caught in the Tulane athletic tar pit, I’d be shocked if any AD would hire him. At this stage, how would an AD explain that hire. I don’t doubt that Willie will take the first offer he gets. There continues to be rumblings that he can’t get the recruits he wants—whether it’s because of the P5/G5 issue, or his non-descript mystery offense, or because of lingering remanants of the Tulane Model, things aren’t coming together the way he would like. He’ll take the first train out, but I can’t see that train arriving any time soon.
WF probably wont leave anytime soon, but when he does leave I hope we don't respond as we did when Larry Smith left in 1980 & Tommie Bowden left in 1998. That is, get our feelings "so hurt" we will then hire "any warm body who will stay." In 1980 Hindman Wall passed on Lindy Infante because he was "too good for the job since he might leave." In 1998 Cowen did the same thing for passing on RR in favor of a "shot in the dark" like Scelfo who also fit Cowen's "Division 3 mentality" since Scelfo was "cheap" agreeing to 350K a year and "promised to stay." When WF leaves us one way or another we will be a much better program than when he arrived and we should then simply hire another best man for the job rather than a "warm body who will stay" because no one else will ever want him, i.e. Gibson, Scelfo, "Buffet Bob" Toledo and CJ.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm Kansas ain't going to hire Willie...... Les Miles, Todd Orlando, Sonny Cumbie, Ruffin McNeil, Bill Clark and others, will all get calls, long before The Willie
+1. With Willie caught in the Tulane athletic tar pit, I’d be shocked if any AD would hire him. At this stage, how would an AD explain that hire. I don’t doubt that Willie will take the first offer he gets. There continues to be rumblings that he can’t get the recruits he wants—whether it’s because of the P5/G5 issue, or his non-descript mystery offense, or because of lingering remanants of the Tulane Model, things aren’t coming together the way he would like. He’ll take the first train out, but I can’t see that train arriving any time soon.
WF probably wont leave anytime soon, but when he does leave I hope we don't respond as we did when Larry Smith left in 1980 & Tommie Bowden left in 1998. That is, get our feelings "so hurt" we will then hire "any warm body who will stay." In 1980 Hindman Wall passed on Lindy Infante because he was "too good for the job since he might leave." In 1998 Cowen did the same thing for passing on RR in favor of a "shot in the dark" like Scelfo who also fit Cowen's "Division 3 mentality" since Scelfo was "cheap" agreeing to 350K a year and "promised to stay." When WF leaves us one way or another we will be a much better program than when he arrived and we should then simply hire another best man for the job rather than a "warm body who will stay" because no one else will ever want him, i.e. Gibson, Scelfo, "Buffet Bob" Toledo and CJ.
We can only hope. But it probably won’t be an issue for some time.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana