Tulane blows out USF and Kansas’ coach is fired the next days. Coincidence?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This will be interesting.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Kansas ain't going to hire Willie...... Les Miles, Todd Orlando, Sonny Cumbie, Ruffin McNeil, Bill Clark and others, will all get calls, long before The Willie
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm Kansas ain't going to hire Willie...... Les Miles, Todd Orlando, Sonny Cumbie, Ruffin McNeil, Bill Clark and others, will all get calls, long before The Willie
Maybe. The AD tweeted that he wants a HC with head coaching experience, so that knocks out a few from that group.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm Kansas ain't going to hire Willie...... Les Miles, Todd Orlando, Sonny Cumbie, Ruffin McNeil, Bill Clark and others, will all get calls, long before The Willie
Maybe. The AD tweeted that he wants a HC with head coaching experience, so that knocks out a few from that group.
the Kansas AD can tweet what he wants, throw in Greg Schiano in that group as well...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and I will add one more "long shot"..... Houston Nutt
Wavetrader
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm and I will add one more "long shot"..... Houston Nutt
Ten candidates listed in the article below.. Les Miles is listed as number 1. Willie Fritz is number 6 on the list.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-candidates- ... 47256.html
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm and I will add one more "long shot"..... Houston Nutt
Ten candidates listed in the article below.. Les Miles is listed as number 1. Willie Fritz is number 6 on the list.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-candidates- ... 47256.html
It list Miles as #5.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
torbida
Surge

Just wanna enjoy the next 3 games.Kansas will offer a lot of cash but football will take a lot of beatings they probably want a big name splash hire
Profoundwizard
Swell

It’s Kansas, I’d bet more than 1 of those on your list would turn down any offers Kansas can realistically make.
I’m also not sure why Ruffin McNeil is getting a call long before Fritz.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 pm
It’s Kansas, I’d bet more than 1 of those on your list would turn down any offers Kansas can realistically make.
Ruffin has Big 12 connections.......
HoustonWave
Tsunami

+1. With Willie caught in the Tulane athletic tar pit, I’d be shocked if any AD would hire him. At this stage, how would an AD explain that hire. I don’t doubt that Willie will take the first offer he gets. There continues to be rumblings that he can’t get the recruits he wants—whether it’s because of the P5/G5 issue, or his non-descript mystery offense, or because of lingering remanants of the Tulane Model, things aren’t coming together the way he would like. He’ll take the first train out, but I can’t see that train arriving any time soon.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 pm
And Fritz has Kansas connections.

You don’t go from fired AAC Head Coach to newly hired Big 12 Head Coach without doing something super impressive in between and Ruffin hasn’t done anything.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:24 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 pm
And Fritz has Kansas connections.

You don’t go from fired AAC Head Coach to newly hired Big 12 Head Coach without doing something super impressive in between and Ruffin hasn’t done anything.
Having Kansas Connections is not a good thing,in football

the ECU / Ruffin take... He also won the Alamo Bowl as intreim Head Coach of Tx Tech
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... s-football

Lincoln Riley knows Ruffin knows D...which is why Stoops was fired three weeks ago
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... oma-staff/

Firing Ruffin, got the AD fired
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local ... 59774.html
Profoundwizard
Swell

If I wanted to read puff pieces about Ruffin McNeill I could have googled them myself. He was a middle of the pack coach in the AAC, he’d likely be the worst coach in the Big 12. I’d be shocked if Kansas wanted him. I wouldn’t even really want him if Tulane was looking for a coach.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 am If I wanted to read puff pieces about Ruffin McNeill I could have googled them myself. He was a middle of the pack coach in the AAC, he’d likely be the worst coach in the Big 12. I’d be shocked if Kansas wanted him. I wouldn’t even really want him if Tulane was looking for a coach.
I put his name out, just as yahoo sports touted their list of potential HC's... Willie anin't goin' no where...if this was year 5 and he had 3 seasons of 7 to 9 wins a season, then I would say he may be a long shot, but with his age, and record at Tulane I doubt he get's an interview...too many good young coaches looking for an opportunity...hell Jim Levitt may be a long shot for the job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leavitt
Profoundwizard
Swell

I never said Willie Fritz was getting the Kansas job but he’s got as much a chance as McNeil
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:02 am I never said Willie Fritz was getting the Kansas job but he’s got as much a chance as McNeil
if Ruffin has zero chances than he an Willie are tied...but I will throw out another name, Lane Kiffin
anEngineer
Riptide

The Kansas job is kind of like what a lot of people on this site say about the Tulane job... can't win, coach killer, dead end. I believe it's easier for Tulane to win in the AAC than for Kansas to win in the Big 12. Kansas football has more money than Tulane because of the conference, but the top-to-bottom gaps in Big 12 football are much bigger than AAC football.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won and all. But c'mon, WF's record here is still putrid, and it'll take a string of convincing wins and a winning season to at least get any interest from other schools...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 pm Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won and all. But c'mon, WF's record here is still putrid, and it'll take a string of convincing wins and a winning season to at least get any interest from other schools...
I don't believe Kansas would be remotely interested in a 58 year-old coach whose head coaching record is more slow and steady. They will look for a relatively young, meteoric riser who is willing to take a chance on a football program that has been surprisingly horrible at a school that is focused on basketball.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 pm Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won and all. But c'mon, WF's record here is still putrid, and it'll take a string of convincing wins and a winning season to at least get any interest from other schools...
I don't believe Kansas would be remotely interested in a 58 year-old coach whose head coaching record is more slow and steady. They will look for a relatively young, meteoric riser who is willing to take a chance on a football program that has been surprisingly horrible at a school that is focused on basketball.
I think that they are looking for a proven program builder as HC, and that solely because they -have- to due to the nature of what condition Kansas' program is in. That doesn't necessarily mean they want Fritz specifically, but it does mean that they are looking for a proven HC that is doing very well where they are and they took over a program that was not in a great condition when they took over it.

There are only a handful of coaches of this nature at the FBS level that would be willing to leave where they are for Kansas for any reasonable amount that Kansas would be willing to pay. Although, at the same time, whoever turns around Kansas will be legendary and could probably hand pick their next job.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:53 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 pm
I think that they are looking for a proven program builder as HC, and that solely because they -have- to due to the nature of what condition Kansas' program is in. That doesn't necessarily mean they want Fritz specifically, but it does mean that they are looking for a proven HC that is doing very well where they are and they took over a program that was not in a great condition when they took over it.

There are only a handful of coaches of this nature at the FBS level that would be willing to leave where they are for Kansas for any reasonable amount that Kansas would be willing to pay. Although, at the same time, whoever turns around Kansas will be legendary and could probably hand pick their next job.
there are two who have built or resurrected programs that would take the job...Jim Levitt and Greg Schiano....Levitt with USF and Schiano at Rutgers.....the Utah State Coach is a close thrid ..Kansas is a difficult job, high school football there is terrible, the administration frowns upon JUCO and transfers, so they have to recruit Texas, just like Oklahoma and Okie State....
Wavetrader
Low Tide

I'm a huge fan of Schiano and what he accomplished at Rutgers, but I can't imagine KU would offer him considering the uproar he faced when Tennessee offered him. It would likely be worse for him at KU.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetrader wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm I'm a huge fan of Schiano and what he accomplished at Rutgers, but I can't imagine KU would offer him considering the uproar he faced when Tennessee offered him. It would likely be worse for him at KU.
many times, those who 'roar" the loudest, have the least to say.....