Volleyball 2018

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
localvb
Low Tide
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 am

The “historic” info is being pushed out there constantly on Twitter/facebook/Instagram/ and the website. So if you don’t see it you might want to get an upgrade on the flip phone.
Also, I’ve posted all season. I posted less in September because I coach as well and didn’t have time. This is just for fun. Don’t care about being “creditable” this is just a silly message board.
Tulane should definitely do more to promote the games other than what I listed. And the media should get of their @ss and actually report news other than just the Saints and LSU.


winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 am

Get off your electronics and get a life. Site so silly yet you post on it. I was trying to be helpful but I can see you're beyond that. Carry on with your bitterness. BTW, that stuff is not historic in any way ,shape or form. We've only been in the conference a few years. Nothing earth moving has been done yet. There is progress from the very low bar place the program was at but still a ways to go.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 am

localvb, you've just disagreed with winwave and now you see the result: name calling and general degradation. Don't get sucked into an argument with him, he'll never give up the argument or admit he's wrong. But he is right about one thing: Folks around Tulane don't really care about volleyball. Part of the blame for that is squarely on the SID and staff.. Volleyball should be promoted more, as, based upon your updates and the few matches I've watched it might be our best team. And those are scholarship athletes just as we have in our under performing "front porch" sports.

When is the Cincinnati match?

Ignore the man behind the curtain!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 am

DfromCT wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 am
localvb, you've just disagreed with winwave and now you see the result: name calling and general degradation. Don't get sucked into an argument with him, he'll never give up the argument or admit he's wrong. But he is right about one thing: Folks around Tulane don't really care about volleyball. Part of the blame for that is squarely on the SID and staff.. Volleyball should be promoted more, as, based upon your updates and the few matches I've watched it might be our best team. And those are scholarship athletes just as we have in our under performing "front porch" sports.

When is the Cincinnati match?

Ignore the man behind the curtain!
local now you've seen the delusion D at work. Just admitted again that I was wrong but that defeats his narrative so he won't acknowledge it. He also of course looked over the fact that you started with the insults because again he won't let facts get in the way of his narrative.

Ignore the wannabe DiCTator.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
localvb
Low Tide
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:09 am

WOW! Just WOW!

Thanks DfromCT
Cinci is next Friday around noon.

Now, I’ll take winwaves advice and get a life. Thx
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am

I used to attend the VB matches when I lived in the city but since moving it’s become more difficult. I drove over to BR last time we played LSU on the road. Did you know LSU VB matches are free? Besides that they do heavy promotions.
Tulane wants a bigger crowd they should follow LSU’s lead.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =204777569

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=129147

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =210263117
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm

IMHO, the best promotional advertising comes from passionate individuals such as localvb. His agenda has been simply to communicate pride in the team and wishing to increase interest and fan participation. His posts have motivated me to take my granddaughter to the games, something which several thousand dollars spent on advertising probably would not have accomplished.

Concerning the acrimony we are all too guilty of displaying in this forum, I continue to be simultaneously amused and confused. If any of the two of us should meet in a bar in some faraway place, it would be a case of 'Hail Fellow Well Met', There would be back-slapping and drink-buying at the excitement of discovering a fellow Tulanian in an unexpected spot. However, give two of us the anonymity of this forum and it's a different mood entirely.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm
IMHO, the best promotional advertising comes from passionate individuals such as localvb. His agenda has been simply to communicate pride in the team and wishing to increase interest and fan participation. His posts have motivated me to take my granddaughter to the games, something which several thousand dollars spent on advertising probably would not have accomplished.

Concerning the acrimony we are all too guilty of displaying in this forum, I continue to be simultaneously amused and confused. If any of the two of us should meet in a bar in some faraway place, it would be a case of 'Hail Fellow Well Met', There would be back-slapping and drink-buying at the excitement of discovering a fellow Tulanian in an unexpected spot. However, give two of us the anonymity of this forum and it's a different mood entirely.
I couldn't agree with you more, Lantern. Although I don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet (I've posted my name and location and year of graduation many times) I understand why winwave tries to keep his identity private. When my son was first diagnosed with Leukemia, I was in contact with the foundation of a HUGE Tulane donor that was going to help out with a fundraiser. I never spoke with her directly, but her admin assistant backed away and hinted at the fact that I was so outspoken on this forum and others about Dickson and Cowen that they were not going to work with me. Sad but true.

I would definitely buy beers for other Tulane supporters. Winwave might get a punch to the gut first, then a hug and a beer! The notion of "we disagree, so you're my enemy" has become prevalent in US politics and spilled through to internet forums like this one. JtS, for example, ripped me a new one for suggesting we were going away from the Crested T because it looked too much like Trump's hair (at least 4 months before he won the election, no less!) but he has other issues as well. Nobody on the planet is a bigger Tulane fan than I. But I also point out where I think people are wrong about perceptions and facts. It should lead to a discussion rather than immediately drawing lines and bringing hatred.

Bringing the discussion back to Volleyball, I think the posted links by TPS should be followed by the AD monitors of this board. It's not too late to promote our very good women's volleyball team. We can still have promotions to get students involved, get faculty involved and get the community involved. If it means giving away tickets, so be it. The women have earned the right to play in front of larger home crowds. Now the Athletics Department and SID's office needs to do their part.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:07 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm
IMHO, the best promotional advertising comes from passionate individuals such as localvb. His agenda has been simply to communicate pride in the team and wishing to increase interest and fan participation. His posts have motivated me to take my granddaughter to the games, something which several thousand dollars spent on advertising probably would not have accomplished.

Concerning the acrimony we are all too guilty of displaying in this forum, I continue to be simultaneously amused and confused. If any of the two of us should meet in a bar in some faraway place, it would be a case of 'Hail Fellow Well Met', There would be back-slapping and drink-buying at the excitement of discovering a fellow Tulanian in an unexpected spot. However, give two of us the anonymity of this forum and it's a different mood entirely.
GL- I have always said it hard to impart tone on these sites. It is why I clearly stated that I was offering constructive criticism to her to help her with her cause. I am not the first one to note that over the years she has a tendency to appear when things are good and disappear when they aren't. She hit me with the flip phone comment insinuating that I have missed out on what Tulane has put out there. because I am out of date. I have a very up to date phone and follow Tulane on social media. Like everyone else I pick up from those what I am interested in. so none of those historical notes grabbed my attention. Thus why I said Tulane needs to spend on traditional advertising to put it right there for you. Buy an ad in both the Advocate and the T-P in the sports section among other things. I simply responded in kind to her remark. Simple as that.

Yes many of us do grab beers together at the games after going at it here. Despite his comments D would do the same as would I. I have often pointed out that there are three reasons for these sites to exist:

Information- there's never much floating from Tulane

Celebration- Again unfortunately there's not much of that coming from Tulane either.

Venting- Very unfortunately there's a lot of that to do based on the results and decisions of this athletic department..

Since hardly anyone outside of these sites cares a lick about Tulane sports we come here to vent and we get at odds. The best solution for that is winning.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am
I used to attend the VB matches when I lived in the city but since moving it’s become more difficult. I drove over to BR last time we played LSU on the road. Did you know LSU VB matches are free? Besides that they do heavy promotions.
Tulane wants a bigger crowd they should follow LSU’s lead.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =204777569

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=129147

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =210263117

They won't because they were hats that say: "Make Tulane Stupid".
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 am

Women's volleyball continues to roll with a 4-set win. Defeats Temple at home for 10th straight victory.
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... ath=wvball
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am

Bigschtick wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am
I used to attend the VB matches when I lived in the city but since moving it’s become more difficult. I drove over to BR last time we played LSU on the road. Did you know LSU VB matches are free? Besides that they do heavy promotions.
Tulane wants a bigger crowd they should follow LSU’s lead.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =204777569

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=129147

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =210263117

They won't because they were hats that say: "Make Tulane Stupid".
LMFAO! I guess Forest was right. "Stupid is as stupid does."
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 am

winwave wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 am
local now you've seen the delusion D at work. Just admitted again that I was wrong but that defeats his narrative so he won't acknowledge it. He also of course looked over the fact that you started with the insults because again he won't let facts get in the way of his narrative.

Ignore the wannabe DiCTator.
Where did you admit you're wrong? Please, point it out by posting your own quote. You are like Fonzi from the old sitcom "Happy Days." You cannot say the words, yet you tell everyone you do regularly. The last time we had this argument you went back a year to find a post where you admitted to a typo. You are wrong often, and simply will not come out and say so. That's why you're like the man behind the curtain. Literally, you hide behind your screen name.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6633
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 am

tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am
I used to attend the VB matches when I lived in the city but since moving it’s become more difficult. I drove over to BR last time we played LSU on the road. Did you know LSU VB matches are free? Besides that they do heavy promotions.
Tulane wants a bigger crowd they should follow LSU’s lead.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =204777569

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=129147

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =210263117
Just to elaborate on this further, these are the things you can do when you have P5 money. After you've sunk $100M in the major sports and built every kind of facility there is, another year brings another $35-40M to spend. So of course they can have volleyball games be free, and do all kinds of promotions. Now I will say, LSU has had some very good volleyball teams over the years, just like their gymnastics teams, much more so than Tulane. Winning builds fanbase.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:37 am

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 am
local now you've seen the delusion D at work. Just admitted again that I was wrong but that defeats his narrative so he won't acknowledge it. He also of course looked over the fact that you started with the insults because again he won't let facts get in the way of his narrative.

Ignore the wannabe DiCTator.
Where did you admit you're wrong? Please, point it out by posting your own quote. You are like Fonzi from the old sitcom "Happy Days." You cannot say the words, yet you tell everyone you do regularly. The last time we had this argument you went back a year to find a post where you admitted to a typo. You are wrong often, and simply will not come out and say so. That's why you're like the man behind the curtain. Literally, you hide behind your screen name.
You get your jollies off of making an ass of yourself and being wrong constantly. We're going to have such a good laugh over you at the game today. For the umpteenth time I admitted to being wrong in that post you referred to but you can't stand your narrative to be screwed so you can't admit that I admitted I was wrong to not classifying the Liberty Bowl as a a good Bowl game . If we all had a dollar for every time you've had to admit you were wrong we would all own our own island.

You know where I admitted I was wrong last week b/c we all know you're obsessed with my every post.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Who is obsessed with whom? I didn't see your post because I have a life and have logged over 20,000 frequent flyer miles the last two months. I will continue to laugh at you and your foolish posts. You do much better when you post facts. Your opinions get you in trouble and are seldom accurate. But thanks for the entertainment. I'm going back outside with my kids. It will be getting dark and cold by kickoff, so we're spending time outside now. Enjoy life in mom and dads basement.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 pm

You saw it. Just can't admit it because it defeats your narrative. Enjoy the pass.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 am
tpstulane wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am
I used to attend the VB matches when I lived in the city but since moving it’s become more difficult. I drove over to BR last time we played LSU on the road. Did you know LSU VB matches are free? Besides that they do heavy promotions.
Tulane wants a bigger crowd they should follow LSU’s lead.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =204777569

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=129147

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =210263117
Just to elaborate on this further, these are the things you can do when you have P5 money. After you've sunk $100M in the major sports and built every kind of facility there is, another year brings another $35-40M to spend. So of course they can have volleyball games be free, and do all kinds of promotions. Now I will say, LSU has had some very good volleyball teams over the years, just like their gymnastics teams, much more so than Tulane. Winning builds fanbase.
Uno and Southeastern volleyball matches are also free. So are many other non P5 schools.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Let's be honest . Even if it was free no more people would be going.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 am

winwave wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 pm
Let's be honest . Even if it was free no more people would be going.
A high school VB Coach would be more likely to take his entire team to watch if it were free. Its a start. Then you promote that to high school’s. It’s how you can at least try to build a youth fan base. I know a coach or two that take their teams to UNO to watch. A few parents may go as well if their kids team goes along. Winning alone won’t be enough.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
localvb
Low Tide
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:39 pm

Volleyball wins number 11.
Undefeated in October and November.
Play 23rd ranked Cinci on Friday.
Beat them once already.
Beat them this time and Tulane moves to 2nd place and an NCAA bid.

Also, Coach Barnes won his 399th game.
anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:21 am

I sure wish volleyball didn't play all their games on Friday and Sunday. Wife makes it difficult on Friday, Saints make it difficult on Sunday.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8125
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:08 am

anEngineer wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:21 am
I sure wish volleyball didn't play all their games on Friday and Sunday. Wife makes it difficult on Friday, Saints make it difficult on Sunday.
by Friday U deserve a break !!!!...gotta admit, I couild not live without my wife, but I am damn glad we have a two story house !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 am

anEngineer wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:21 am
I sure wish volleyball didn't play all their games on Friday and Sunday. Wife makes it difficult on Friday, Saints make it difficult on Sunday.
Very true. I like high school FB as well. Which is big on Friday nights. Then Saturday Tulane FB and Sunday Saints FB for me.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
localvb
Low Tide
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm

The streak ends at 11 in a row.
A gutty performance by Tulane on the road vs the 24th ranked Cincy team.
Down 0-2 Tulane dominates the next 2 sets to push to the 5th set. Up 9-4 and 11-8 Tulane can’t hold and lose 15-13. 2 terrible calls at the end really hurt. I almost jump thru my computer monitor.

This team and program have nothing to hang their head over.
Post Reply