Wave Wallops USF 41-15

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

My guess is that those writers, just as we've seen with some Tulane TP beat writers, are disgruntled with being assigned USF game.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 pm My guess is that those writers, just as we've seen with some Tulane TP beat writers, are disgruntled with being assigned USF game.
It could be a whole lot worse, and nowhere near as bad as getting assigned to a Tulane game. When was the last time we were 17-3 in our last 20 games? When was the last time the TP had beat writers assigned to our games?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:50 am
winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:52 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:10 am
winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 am Let him be handing off to Huderson instead of Daupine and the result would be different. His passing is awful. Thank goodness we are facing bad defenses.
JM isn’t anything special but he’s clearly proven your theory that Banks was the only thing keeping us in the games incorrect
Not at all. You have to take into consideration what Banks was playing with when he was the starter . He didn't have the luxury of us utilizing Dauphine. The offense had no one that the other team feared. So Banks had to scramble and try to make plays such as those long TD passes that helped us have a chance to beat Wake. We'll never get to know what Banks would have done if he had Dauphine at his disposal. Dauphine has been the difference maker. When we played Cincy Fritz said afterwards that they had told Banks and McMillan they would each get two series and then they would pick which one they thought did better. They went with McMillan. we were playing a a team with a good defense. As soon as the game was over Fritz said it was a mistake. No one here was writing that McMillan was the answer b/c of his better reads. In fact they were writing to go back to Banks. We did but we still weren't using Dauphine. He got three carries. So the flip back to McMillan. The difference though was we then started using Dauphine rather than Huderson AND we have played against terrible defenses. Fortunately we will keep using Dauphine and we'll keep playing against bad defenses. So things are looking up.
I see what you did there. I like your gymnastics!
I see what you did there. The usual.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

not sure if the nola view was posted...if so please delete
https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/tul ... ghten.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:05 pm not sure if the nola view was posted...if so please delete
Checked out that nola.com link. There's actually 23 comments on the article. We usually don't get that many in 3 weeks worth of articles.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:36 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:05 pm not sure if the nola view was posted...if so please delete
Checked out that nola.com link. There's actually 23 comments on the article. We usually don't get that many in 3 weeks worth of articles.
I agree...I would have commented, but I have been banned by the nola mod's for calling them out on a non related sports subject...seems they can't handle the truth
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 am Let him be handing off to Huderson instead of Daupine and the result would be different. His passing is awful. Thank goodness we are facing bad defenses.
JM isn’t anything special but he’s clearly proven your theory that Banks was the only thing keeping us in the games incorrect
Not at all. You have to take into consideration what Banks was playing with when he was the starter . He didn't have the luxury of us utilizing Dauphine. The offense had no one that the other team feared. So Banks had to scramble and try to make plays such as those long TD passes that helped us have a chance to beat Wake. We'll never get to know what Banks would have done if he had Dauphine at his disposal. Dauphine has been the difference maker. When we played Cincy Fritz said afterwards that they had told Banks and McMillan they would each get two series and then they would pick which one they thought did better. They went with McMillan. we were playing a a team with a good defense. As soon as the game was over Fritz said it was a mistake. No one here was writing that McMillan was the answer b/c of his better reads. In fact they were writing to go back to Banks. We did but we still weren't using Dauphine. He got three carries. So the flip back to McMillan. The difference though was we then started using Dauphine rather than Huderson AND we have played against terrible defenses. Fortunately we will keep using Dauphine and we'll keep playing against bad defenses. So things are looking up.
The mistake he was referring to was playing both and then picking one. Had he been able to do it over he would have started one and stayed with him. He didn’t mean it was a mistake to pick Mc over Banks. After playing both.
He said Dauphine was out of shape and then he said he didn’t know his assignments that’s why he didn’t play. He’s now in shape and probably knows his playbook satisfactory.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:10 pm
The mistake he was referring to was playing both and then picking one. Had he been able to do it over he would have started one and stayed with him. He didn’t mean it was a mistake to pick Mc over Banks. After playing both.
He said Dauphine was out of shape and then he said he didn’t know his assignments that’s why he didn’t play. He’s now in shape and probably knows his playbook satisfactory.
Dauphine has been on campus over a year before playing..if he is not in shape, fire the Strenght and Conditioning Coach, in my opinion Tulane has made minimal if any gains in the strenght dept ...not knowing the playbook after a year, that is on the position coach and player....
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He was clearly referring to going with McMillan and that's why Banks started the next week. That's been discussed here since he said it and no one tried to claim he was saying what you just said. That's revisionist history.

He never said Dauphine was out of shape. He said he was hyper and it caused him to be dehydrated. He was wrong. On our Rivlas site Guerry Smith made that clear. They did things to rehydrate him but his body rejected it as he wasn't dehydrated. It was his being hyped that made him feel less than 100%. The way to overcome that is to keep playing him and let him get his feel for it. Then he did make comments that clearly insinuated he wasn't playing b/c of his poor pass blocking. Sorry but the trade off was worth it. WF was too stuck on Huderson doing that well when he clearly didn't have the talent Dauphine has.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:36 pm
In the 7 or so years I've been following Tulane football, I would say its actually pretty common to get a ton of comments when we win 2+ games in a row. Its super rare but the thought of Tulane being good at football sure ruffles some feathers in the area!
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:08 pm
He was clearly referring to going with McMillan and that's why Banks started the next week. That's been discussed here since he said it and no one tried to claim he was saying what you just said. That's revisionist history.

He never said Dauphine was out of shape. He said he was hyper and it caused him to be dehydrated. He was wrong. On our Rivlas site Guerry Smith made that clear. They did things to rehydrate him but his body rejected it as he wasn't dehydrated. It was his being hyped that made him feel less than 100%. The way to overcome that is to keep playing him and let him get his feel for it. Then he did make comments that clearly insinuated he wasn't playing b/c of his poor pass blocking. Sorry but the trade off was worth it. WF was too stuck on Huderson doing that well when he clearly didn't have the talent Dauphine has.
Your wrong again. Here’s Dauphine himself admitting he’s out of shape:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... fe52a.html
. “I need to get back in game shape. That’s on me.”
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You said Fritz said he was out of shape. That's Dauphine and he had to sit out the previous yea due to his transfer. Duh. More importantly like I said above it wasn't dehydration it was about adrenaline. They didn't understand what was going on with him right after the game. It was explained on our Rivals site that it was more a mental issue than a physical one. Plus it's a poor solution to not play him till the 8th game of the season.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I"m going to consider the lack of Dauphine touches, early in the season, as just another coaching blunder by Willie and the boys. Now that they have "discovered" Dauphine, perhaps they can now take the second step--getting Dauphine the ball in open space--flare passes, screen passes, pitch outs. I guess with Fritz, it's one step at a time.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am I"m going to consider the lack of Dauphine touches, early in the season, as just another coaching blunder by Willie and the boys. Now that they have "discovered" Dauphine, perhaps they can now take the second step--getting Dauphine the ball in open space--flare passes, screen passes, pitch outs. I guess with Fritz, it's one step at a time.
good thing ole Willie was not an Astronaut, his one step/giant leap for mankind would have been one hell of a fall... I can envision him now, lying on the moon with a broken leg and limping back to earth
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:50 am You said Fritz said he was out of shape. That's Dauphine and he had to sit out the previous yea due to his transfer. Duh. More importantly like I said above it wasn't dehydration it was about adrenaline. They didn't understand what was going on with him right after the game. It was explained on our Rivals site that it was more a mental issue than a physical one. Plus it's a poor solution to not play him till the 8th game of the season.
His playing time remained much the same but Banks the ball hog didn’t give him the ball on reads like McMillan does. He kept it for himself.
Regardless whether it was mental or physical out of shape that was the reason stated. I’m not arguing just trying to state what was said.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:54 am
winwave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:50 am You said Fritz said he was out of shape. That's Dauphine and he had to sit out the previous yea due to his transfer. Duh. More importantly like I said above it wasn't dehydration it was about adrenaline. They didn't understand what was going on with him right after the game. It was explained on our Rivals site that it was more a mental issue than a physical one. Plus it's a poor solution to not play him till the 8th game of the season.
His playing time remained much the same but Banks the ball hog didn’t give him the ball on reads like McMillan does. He kept it for himself.
Regardless whether it was mental or physical out of shape that was the reason stated. I’m not arguing just trying to state what was said.
Complete and utter bullshit .Just another in a long line of examples of you being agenda driven. He wasn't seeing the field. No one said , including you, hey Banks should be handing off rather than keeping it. See how many runs our backs have. He was handing it off. But I guess you think Banks hates Dauphine and just wouldn't hand it to him. What a joke.

As for what was said you were wrong about Fritz. Plus as noted he had had to sit out a year and didn't play much at TT. You overcome that by playing more in games. It was just Wilie being stuck on stupid. His little formula worked where there was no discernible talent differences. At this level there are talent differences so when we have a talented player we need to play him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am I"m going to consider the lack of Dauphine touches, early in the season, as just another coaching blunder by Willie and the boys. Now that they have "discovered" Dauphine, perhaps they can now take the second step--getting Dauphine the ball in open space--flare passes, screen passes, pitch outs. I guess with Fritz, it's one step at a time.
Yep.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

https://twitter.com/goTULANEt/status/10 ... 8032567296
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:50 am https://twitter.com/goTULANEt/status/10 ... 8032567296
A+
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Love it.
anEngineer
Riptide

It's still too early to tell what McMillan's effect has been. His passing is no better than Banks but the team is winning (on the road). Maybe the reads are better before and during the play and that is the difference... maybe. Oho State was unwinnable and UAB is 8-1 with most of the wins being pretty lopsided. USF had a good record but it remains to be seen if they are really any good. We were all disappointed by the SMU game, but we saw what they are capable of this weekend. Aside from UCF, Tulane has shown itself to be much closer to the rest of the Conference than not. Tulane can probably beat ECU and Navy without being forced to pass much, so we may still not learn what McMillan is capable of.

If McMillan settles in and starts going 12 of 18 or 13 of 20 passing for 110-120 yards, we are problaby in a good spot. Four of 11 for 61 yards won't cut it most weeks. We know what Banks brings and it wasn't good enough. McMillen still has potential upside. The next 3 weeks will tell us... maybe. As for throwing to the backs, they can't catch! It ain't going to happen with this bunch.
GreenLantern
Riptide

And Alvin Kamara rockin' a Tulane tee today...

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yeah, it has to be on the coaches. Because, of course (sarcasm, for those that cannot tell) we on this forum know more than coaches that have made a living doing this for 30+ years. It was clear to the fans that Dauphine was the best back, why didn't the coaches see it? DUH?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

You just don't get it. Dauphine CAN'T CATCH! At all!! Nothing!!! I agree that it is ridiculous to think anyone on this site knows more than the coaches who have been doing this all their lives and see these players every day. They make mistakes like everyone else, but they are still much more knowledgeable about this team than anyone here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Funny. Fritz said this about Claybrook:

“He’s assignment sound,” Fritz said. “We wanted to give him a chance. Sometimes it’s sitting right in front of your face and you don’t realize it.”