Wave Wallops USF 41-15

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:32 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:05 pm
Show Me wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:58 pm Easy to see why things are heading in the right direction. McMillan at QB has been a huge improvement and the defense has played well.
We're back to running an offense more like what we did in 2016 and the first half of 2017. McMillan was only 4/11 today, for 61 yards.

Defense has been much better than expected, especially with so many young guys playing. They've pretty much kept us in every game except Ohio State.
Exactly. The QB is running the offense and not trying to do too much like Banks did. His reads are much better than Banks. All we need is QB not a hero.
His reads are better and so are the backs he's now getting to use. Against a good Cincy defense that wasn't the case. He was bad that day. Playing against much less caliber defenses and having more use of our better backs is the big difference maker without a doubt.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A great win ! Let’s feel good tonight and all week this week gents !!!

We have played houston well, let’s win out !
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 pm A great win ! Let’s feel good tonight and all week this week gents !!!

We have played houston well, let’s win out !
Need to beat ECU first. How many times we’ve lost at HC I can’t even count.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 pm Need to beat ECU first. How many times we’ve lost at HC I can’t even count.
I'd be afraid to look it up. I remember when I was in school in 1978 we lost a HC game to TCU 13-7. TCU had won 1, 1, 0 and 2 games the previous 4 seasons (4-40).
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Willie, now you may crowd surf.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Tsunami

Final: SMU 45, UH 31 :D
wave97
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:29 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:25 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm ...did we start the wrong QB in week 1? Man, this is going to be one of those "what if" 5-7 seasons where we are so close yet again.
Nope. In fact Banks gave us a chance that night with his scrambles that led to long TD passes. Plus as D noted he'd been here less than a week. The most important change has been feeding Dauphine and giving the bulk of the carries to Dauphine and Bradwell. We also changed both tackles last week. Then they finally started using Jones in the return game who's been providing us good field position., A lot to it.
And the biggest difference is we got Banks off the field. He can’t run this offense.
+1
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:58 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:29 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:25 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm ...did we start the wrong QB in week 1? Man, this is going to be one of those "what if" 5-7 seasons where we are so close yet again.
Nope. In fact Banks gave us a chance that night with his scrambles that led to long TD passes. Plus as D noted he'd been here less than a week. The most important change has been feeding Dauphine and giving the bulk of the carries to Dauphine and Bradwell. We also changed both tackles last week. Then they finally started using Jones in the return game who's been providing us good field position., A lot to it.
And the biggest difference is we got Banks off the field. He can’t run this offense.
+1
+1 also. We upgraded the QB position in the last few weeks. Mc running the offense better. Needs to still improve on his passing accuracy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Let him be handing off to Huderson instead of Daupine and the result would be different. His passing is awful. Thank goodness we are facing bad defenses.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

conference championship here we come! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

No excuses or caveats- McM is winning. We are Beating good teams, let’s stop losing to bad ones. Let’s celebrate a good win and beat the crap out of the teams we should. If anyone tells me this isnt a good win I’ll look forward to mocking you and then blocking you.

Roll Wave !
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 am Let him be handing off to Huderson instead of Daupine and the result would be different. His passing is awful. Thank goodness we are facing bad defenses.
JM isn’t anything special but he’s clearly proven your theory that Banks was the only thing keeping us in the games incorrect
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

These 3 articles are written by 2 guys, Fennelly and Knight. Knight writes 2 and are legitimate critiques of USF not being prepared to play, having some key injuries and getting it handed to them by a Tulane team that played better. Fennelly has a savage column that totally rips Strong and the entire program. While I don't particularly think much of Strong, this column seems somewhat unprofessional and emotional (maybe a USF alum).

It reads like something I would read on this site. I'm glad this Fennelly guy isn't writing about anything I care about.
Houma de Wave
Swell

First column: Tampa writer says USF quit. So, I guess, we didn’t really kick their azz. No comment section under his nearsighted piece. Thanks for posting this, ‘nut.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 am conference championship here we come! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Just a reminder. We've got 3 games left in the season. We're second in the AAC West, only one game off the lead. We play the leader in two weeks. What was it both Dannen and Fritz said when they were hired? They wanted us to "compete for championships". And over the last three years, everyone has mocked them for saying that.

Well now, here were are, on November 4th, and we are competing.for.championships.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:35 am
Ruski wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 am conference championship here we come! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Just a reminder. We've got 3 games left in the season. We're second in the AAC West, only one game off the lead. We play the leader in two weeks. What was it both Dannen and Fritz said when they were hired? They wanted us to "compete for championships". And over the last three years, everyone has mocked them for saying that.

Well now, here were are, on November 4th, and we are competing.for.championships.
Robert, while I love your enthusiasm, let's not put the cart before the horse. We haven't won anything yet, although we are competing for a division title that we have an outside shot at winning. IF we were to pull off winning the division, we'd be two touchdown underdogs to UCF. The losses to SMU still haunts us (last year's and this years.)

I think yesterday's win was the best game the Green Wave has played since Fritz got here. Even better than Tulsa last year. Did we turn a corner? That remains to be seen. How we finish will tell us if we've taken any significant steps forward. But it was nice to see what this team can do when firing on all fronts. Even with weak QB play (at least in the passing game) we looked pretty solid.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wavetime
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 am
These 3 articles are written by 2 guys, Fennelly and Knight. Knight writes 2 and are legitimate critiques of USF not being prepared to play, having some key injuries and getting it handed to them by a Tulane team that played better. Fennelly has a savage column that totally rips Strong and the entire program. While I don't particularly think much of Strong, this column seems somewhat unprofessional and emotional (maybe a USF alum).

It reads like something I would read on this site. I'm glad this Fennelly guy isn't writing about anything I care about.
I totally agree! I was really surprised by the bluntness of the first article. WOW!
Wavetime
Swell

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:01 am
anEngineer wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 am

I totally agree! I was really surprised by the bluntness of the first article. WOW!
That first article, where it talks about the Bulls quitting on the season was over the top. It also gave zero respect to Tulane's effort yesterday, and put our conference record at 2-3 when we're 3-2 in conference. I agree with Engineer, Fennelly sounds like a disgruntled alum posting on a bulletin board.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:10 am
winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 am Let him be handing off to Huderson instead of Daupine and the result would be different. His passing is awful. Thank goodness we are facing bad defenses.
JM isn’t anything special but he’s clearly proven your theory that Banks was the only thing keeping us in the games incorrect
Not at all. You have to take into consideration what Banks was playing with when he was the starter . He didn't have the luxury of us utilizing Dauphine. The offense had no one that the other team feared. So Banks had to scramble and try to make plays such as those long TD passes that helped us have a chance to beat Wake. We'll never get to know what Banks would have done if he had Dauphine at his disposal. Dauphine has been the difference maker. When we played Cincy Fritz said afterwards that they had told Banks and McMillan they would each get two series and then they would pick which one they thought did better. They went with McMillan. we were playing a a team with a good defense. As soon as the game was over Fritz said it was a mistake. No one here was writing that McMillan was the answer b/c of his better reads. In fact they were writing to go back to Banks. We did but we still weren't using Dauphine. He got three carries. So the flip back to McMillan. The difference though was we then started using Dauphine rather than Huderson AND we have played against terrible defenses. Fortunately we will keep using Dauphine and we'll keep playing against bad defenses. So things are looking up.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 am

Robert, while I love your enthusiasm, let's not put the cart before the horse. We haven't won anything yet, although we are competing for a division title that we have an outside shot at winning. IF we were to pull off winning the division, we'd be two touchdown underdogs to UCF. The losses to SMU still haunts us (last year's and this years.)

I think yesterday's win was the best game the Green Wave has played since Fritz got here. Even better than Tulsa last year. Did we turn a corner? That remains to be seen. How we finish will tell us if we've taken any significant steps forward. But it was nice to see what this team can do when firing on all fronts. Even with weak QB play (at least in the passing game) we looked pretty solid.
:confused: On Friday UCF gave up 40 to Temple, winning 52 to 40.

Hardly impressive? Bradwell & Dauphine could have big games against UCF if we were to play them?
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Funny quote concerning Coach Charlie Strong from the USF forum (all Tulane fans can relate):
  • Before Houston game: Maryland entertains hiring Strong
  • After Houston game: Strong maybe entertains Maryland (for the backlash)
  • After Tulane game: Bulls fans spam-mail/email the Strong family with Maryland brochures.
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 am

I am with you DfromCT.. Great win but hardly there. If the coaches did not have their heads were the sun don't shine earlier this season, we would have won more games. They should have figured out much earlier how to use our fastest back! Everyone here and elsewhere did!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wavetrader
Low Tide

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:52 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:10 am
Not at all. You have to take into consideration what Banks was playing with when he was the starter . He didn't have the luxury of us utilizing Dauphine. The offense had no one that the other team feared. So Banks had to scramble and try to make plays such as those long TD passes that helped us have a chance to beat Wake. We'll never get to know what Banks would have done if he had Dauphine at his disposal. Dauphine has been the difference maker. When we played Cincy Fritz said afterwards that they had told Banks and McMillan they would each get two series and then they would pick which one they thought did better. They went with McMillan. we were playing a a team with a good defense. As soon as the game was over Fritz said it was a mistake. No one here was writing that McMillan was the answer b/c of his better reads. In fact they were writing to go back to Banks. We did but we still weren't using Dauphine. He got three carries. So the flip back to McMillan. The difference though was we then started using Dauphine rather than Huderson AND we have played against terrible defenses. Fortunately we will keep using Dauphine and we'll keep playing against bad defenses. So things are looking up.
I see what you did there. I like your gymnastics!
"There is winning and there is misery". BP