Wave Wallops USF 41-15

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Having known quite a few college football, basketball and baseball coaches in my life including a number of friends y’all are really a bit off in your belief that all of these guys are geniuses or even football geniuses. A large segment of the college coaching community is based around relationships, ability to recruit, saying and doing the right things, interviewing well, etc. The first game I saw Dauphine run and Huderson run and wondered aloud what could be wrong with Dauphine to possibly not be playing ahead of this guy. Anyone who has watched football could see the vast difference when Dauphine touches the ball. He is far and away our most dynamic and electric player on the offensive side of the ball. Coaches get hooked on people, they get comfortable with certain people, they get down on guys who maybe don’t do things exactly the way they want them to, etc. Huderson probably does everything correctly and Dauphine probably doesn’t do much of anything correctly. Dauphine however is a running back. Give him the ball and find ways to get him the ball in space and win football games. End of story. I 100% believe the coaches couldn’t see the forest for the trees with Dauphine and it cost them the Wake Forest game and the SMU game. I’m sorry but just about every knowledgeable Tulane fan I know has been clamoring for Dauphine to get a much larger share of touches all season. Shockingly they have done it 2 weeks in a row finally and are on a 2 game road winning streak. The pass protection argument is a load of horseshit, we can’t throw the ball regardless.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Again, sideline fans know more about the players abilities and weaknesses than those that see them every day and have made a living for 30+ years coaching at the college (although not AAC) level. Yeah, sure, you're right. I know a lot of coaches across many sports and they laugh at statements like that. We're in the stands, they're on the field, and spend 80 hours/week doing what we armchair quarterbacks do for a few hours a week. Sorry, but I cannot take this argument seriously. It's just wrong, and laughable. Yes, Dauphine should get the ball a lot more than he did the first 6 games. But the coaches know why he didn't a whole lot more than the folks in the stands.

It's true in life as much as it's true in sport: If your in the stands, you're not in the game. If you're in the game, you're more knowledgeable than those in the stands.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 pm Having known quite a few college football, basketball and baseball coaches in my life including a number of friends y’all are really a bit off in your belief that all of these guys are geniuses or even football geniuses. A large segment of the college coaching community is based around relationships, ability to recruit, saying and doing the right things, interviewing well, etc. The first game I saw Dauphine run and Huderson run and wondered aloud what could be wrong with Dauphine to possibly not be playing ahead of this guy. Anyone who has watched football could see the vast difference when Dauphine touches the ball. He is far and away our most dynamic and electric player on the offensive side of the ball. Coaches get hooked on people, they get comfortable with certain people, they get down on guys who maybe don’t do things exactly the way they want them to, etc. Huderson probably does everything correctly and Dauphine probably doesn’t do much of anything correctly. Dauphine however is a running back. Give him the ball and find ways to get him the ball in space and win football games. End of story. I 100% believe the coaches couldn’t see the forest for the trees with Dauphine and it cost them the Wake Forest game and the SMU game. I’m sorry but just about every knowledgeable Tulane fan I know has been clamoring for Dauphine to get a much larger share of touches all season. Shockingly they have done it 2 weeks in a row finally and are on a 2 game road winning streak. The pass protection argument is a load of horseshit, we can’t throw the ball regardless.
Yep. Just like WF admitted he missed out on Claybrook too. Just another in a long line of mistakes by this staff this season. Hopefully they have corrected it before it's too late.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:53 am Again, sideline fans know more about the players abilities and weaknesses than those that see them every day and have made a living for 30+ years coaching at the college (although not AAC) level. Yeah, sure, you're right. I know a lot of coaches across many sports and they laugh at statements like that. We're in the stands, they're on the field, and spend 80 hours/week doing what we armchair quarterbacks do for a few hours a week. Sorry, but I cannot take this argument seriously. It's just wrong, and laughable. Yes, Dauphine should get the ball a lot more than he did the first 6 games. But the coaches know why he didn't a whole lot more than the folks in the stands.

It's true in life as much as it's true in sport: If your in the stands, you're not in the game. If you're in the game, you're more knowledgeable than those in the stands.
With all due respect, what sader is saying is the absolute truth; I've seen it first hand behind the scenes. All I'll say is that coaches FREQUENTLY and COMMONLY play and start less talented players for a VARIETY of not-talked about reasons. From promises made to the player/family/high school during recruiting, to personal favoritism, to not being able to connect and coach the player the way they're used to, these reasons and many more are very valid. It's not until the coaches ass is on the line, and the wins aren't happening, that they usually wise up and publicly realize and admit their mistake. Great and winning coaches put all that BS aside and have the best 11 players on the field at any one time. This happens in real life all the time. It sure as hell happens in the coaching world.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
AugWave
Swell

Log in and see people arguing about who was right or wrong about why a player wasn't playing, when NOBODY has the real answer.

I swear people just want to be right about the dumbest shit. ECU is next on the schedule. Let's beat shit down their leg.

Tulane "fans" are ..... never mind. Do what you do.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:31 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am I"m going to consider the lack of Dauphine touches, early in the season, as just another coaching blunder by Willie and the boys. Now that they have "discovered" Dauphine, perhaps they can now take the second step--getting Dauphine the ball in open space--flare passes, screen passes, pitch outs. I guess with Fritz, it's one step at a time.
You just don't get it. Dauphine CAN'T CATCH! At all!! Nothing!!! I agree that it is ridiculous to think anyone on this site knows more than the coaches who have been doing this all their lives and see these players every day. They make mistakes like everyone else, but they are still much more knowledgeable about this team than anyone here.
I don’t recall Dauphine ever getting a chance to catch a ball. Who says he can’t catch. Our stellar receivers have dropped a far higher percentage of passes than any of our RBs. Willie and his staff keep reversing themselves as the season wears on—by the end of the year they might have the right players running plays that work—one can hope.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:27 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:53 am Again, sideline fans know more about the players abilities and weaknesses than those that see them every day and have made a living for 30+ years coaching at the college (although not AAC) level. Yeah, sure, you're right. I know a lot of coaches across many sports and they laugh at statements like that. We're in the stands, they're on the field, and spend 80 hours/week doing what we armchair quarterbacks do for a few hours a week. Sorry, but I cannot take this argument seriously. It's just wrong, and laughable. Yes, Dauphine should get the ball a lot more than he did the first 6 games. But the coaches know why he didn't a whole lot more than the folks in the stands.

With all due respect, what sader is saying is the absolute truth; I've seen it first hand behind the scenes. All I'll say is that coaches FREQUENTLY and COMMONLY play and start less talented players for a VARIETY of not-talked about reasons. From promises made to the player/family/high school during recruiting, to personal favoritism, to not being able to connect and coach the player the way they're used to, these reasons and many more are very valid. It's not until the coaches ass is on the line, and the wins aren't happening, that they usually wise up and publicly realize and admit their mistake. Great and winning coaches put all that BS aside and have the best 11 players on the field at any one time. This happens in real life all the time. It sure as hell happens in the coaching world.
Amen. Bill Curry was the master of playing the wrong players—sometimes by design, and sometimes due to ignorance. He had favorites for no explicable reason.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 pm Having known quite a few college football, basketball and baseball coaches in my life including a number of friends y’all are really a bit off in your belief that all of these guys are geniuses or even football geniuses. A large segment of the college coaching community is based around relationships, ability to recruit, saying and doing the right things, interviewing well, etc. The first game I saw Dauphine run and Huderson run and wondered aloud what could be wrong with Dauphine to possibly not be playing ahead of this guy. Anyone who has watched football could see the vast difference when Dauphine touches the ball. He is far and away our most dynamic and electric player on the offensive side of the ball. Coaches get hooked on people, they get comfortable with certain people, they get down on guys who maybe don’t do things exactly the way they want them to, etc. Huderson probably does everything correctly and Dauphine probably doesn’t do much of anything correctly. Dauphine however is a running back. Give him the ball and find ways to get him the ball in space and win football games. End of story. I 100% believe the coaches couldn’t see the forest for the trees with Dauphine and it cost them the Wake Forest game and the SMU game. I’m sorry but just about every knowledgeable Tulane fan I know has been clamoring for Dauphine to get a much larger share of touches all season. Shockingly they have done it 2 weeks in a row finally and are on a 2 game road winning streak. The pass protection argument is a load of horseshit, we can’t throw the ball regardless.
+1,000
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Yea. We can take comfort that all that coaching experience can get us to the right answers on the field—just like it did during the Davis, Teevens, Scelfo, Toledo and CJ regimes.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As a former player, I'll take your word for it. It means a lot more than those of us that never played at the D1 NCAA level. In other words, perhaps I'm wrong. But I still feel the coaches know more than we do.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:15 pm
Yea. We can take comfort that all that coaching experience can get us to the right answers on the field—just like it did during the Davis, Teevens, Scelfo, Toledo and CJ regimes.
No, instead the admin should listen to the posters on this board, whose thoughts about whether or not our coach is a good one waiver from week to week. Our coaches should listen to the board as well. We all know the team doesn't attack the perimeter nearly enough, why don't the coaches know this?
wave97
Swell

+1
Players have "buy in" for coaches & coaches have "buy in" for players. Not unlike a Parent cursed with a precocious pain in the ass kid. A lot of pure talent sits. You would think that D1 football is a straightforward path for merit - you would think?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 pm
As a former player, I'll take your word for it. It means a lot more than those of us that never played at the D1 NCAA level. In other words, perhaps I'm wrong. But I still feel the coaches know more than we do.
There you go making up straw man arguments as always. No one said that fans know more than coaches. Fans do have knowledge though. They've usually played the game at some level and they have watched football at all levels from HS to pros for years. So sometimes they do see things that coaches are missing. In this case they whiffed on Huderson v. Dauphine. They also missed on Claybrook. To say fans have no clue is to say hey everybody save your time and money because you are just wasting your time going to games. It's also saying just shut sown these sites because no one knows what they are talking about. Just silly talk.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:56 pm
No, instead the admin should listen to the posters on this board, whose thoughts about whether or not our coach is a good one waiver from week to week. Our coaches should listen to the board as well. We all know the team doesn't attack the perimeter nearly enough, why don't the coaches know this?
Yeah they should. We knew Toledo shouldn't get a 5th year. How'd that go? The list could go on for days. :roll:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:38 pm
Yeah they should. We knew Toledo shouldn't get a 5th year. How'd that go? The list could go on for days. :roll:
There you go making up straw man arguments again. Where did I say Toledo should get a 5th year?

This site mirrors the reporting of the local papers calling for the USF coaches job when he's 17-3!

The tide of support or angst against Fritz on this forum has been amusing to watch and winwave, YOU lead the way. Your posts are downright hilarious to follow, including your denying that we are a run first (and best) team, and your support of Banks when the offense has clearly been run better by (an admittedly worse passing) QB that just got here. And how highly you think of yourself makes all of the above even more amusing,
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:38 pm
There you go making up straw man arguments again. Where did I say Toledo should get a 5th year?

This site mirrors the reporting of the local papers calling for the USF coaches job when he's 17-3!

The tide of support or angst against Fritz on this forum has been amusing to watch and winwave, YOU lead the way. Your posts are downright hilarious to follow, including your denying that we are a run first (and best) team, and your support of Banks when the offense has clearly been run better by (an admittedly worse passing) QB that just got here. And how highly you think of yourself makes all of the above even more amusing,
You said administrators shouldn't listen to us. I pointed out just one example of when they should.

I haven't led the way of anything. I said before the season we needed balance. I never said we aren't a run first team. Balance doesn't mean 50-50. It means doing it enough not to be predictable. We didn't get it against the better teams and our season suffered for it. At this point we are extremely run heavy b/c we are playing some of the worst run defenses in the country and McMiillan isn't a good passer. Fortunately we continue to play bad defenses. As to Banks you need to follow your own post about the fact that he should be playing over McMillan. LOL. As for me what I posted was that he shouldn't be the one getting all of the fans ire. That should have been the staff for their failings this season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:45 pm Earlier this season I said we didn't have anyone on this defense that could play the Joker position. I want to thank Patrick Johnson for proving me wrong. Crow tasting good.
Bam.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:40 am
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:45 pm Earlier this season I said we didn't have anyone on this defense that could play the Joker position. I want to thank Patrick Johnson for proving me wrong. Crow tasting good.
Bam.
Hooray!! You admitted you were wrong, a very rare feat, and you only had to go back a few days. Maybe you're changing your ways, Fido.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:40 am
Bam.
Hooray!! You admitted you were wrong, a very rare feat, and you only had to go back a few days. Maybe you're changing your ways, Fido.
We all know you aren't changing yours Eeyore. Thanks for all the laughs we'll enjoy today.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, I've been admitting I'm wrong since day 1. You still haven't admitted you were wrong about scheduling Notre Dame, the run/pass ratio, and about 100 other topics. Enjoy the beautiful fall day in New Orleans. This is football weather at it's finest.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I wasn't wrong on those but they still eat at you. Misery wants company .Keep searching. Too bad you can't enjoy this glorious day.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 am I wasn't wrong on those but they still eat at you. Misery wants company .Keep searching. Too bad you can't enjoy this glorious day.
You'll never know how much I'm enjoying this glorious fall day in CT. It's beyond your 10 cent psychoanalysis possibilities.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad the home let you have a pass.