Fritz and staff lose the clown show 27-23

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:53 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:36 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:17 pm His offense and offensive philosophy don’t work at this level, the Sunbelt is much closer to FCS than G5.
Bullshit. Don't know why some of you guys keep hammering Sunbelt football. That's not going to fix your problems.
The Sunbelt - Appy State, Troy and "Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!"
Troy beat Nebraska...and Appy beat the Univeristry of Louisiana...something Tulane has not done lately

But 'Nut, on September 24, 2016 the Wave beat ULALA @ Yulman? :P

HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 am a musical tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6KGuTr9TI
An absolute classic, Golf!! That should be Tulane's new alma mater. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:17 pm The AAC will not threaten to “kick us out of the conference” like the Big East threatened to do with Temple. The NFL didn’t “kick out” the Saints during the Mike Ditka Era (error?). From the AAC perspective we now pay a div. 1 salary and have invested $100 million in football and may simply have made a hiring mistake in WF.
If realignment occurs again, Tulane honestly could be in trouble. With the AAC establishing itself as the dominant G5 conference with a significant (but likely still relatively irrelevant) media rights deal on the horizon, other decent non-P5 teams may want to leave their conferences and come to the AAC. If that happens and it results in the slots in the AAC becoming much more valuable, Tulane could be in trouble if keeping Tulane would mean keeping out Boise State, SDSU, BYU or other similar schools.
The only thing certain is that change will happen, and Tulane, as usual, will probably sit by with it's thumb up it's rear, and watch it all from the sideline. And all the while, Tulane keeps wondering why it doesn't have broad based support from its alumni.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:17 pm The AAC will not threaten to “kick us out of the conference” like the Big East threatened to do with Temple. The NFL didn’t “kick out” the Saints during the Mike Ditka Era (error?). From the AAC perspective we now pay a div. 1 salary and have invested $100 million in football and may simply have made a hiring mistake in WF.
If realignment occurs again, Tulane honestly could be in trouble. With the AAC establishing itself as the dominant G5 conference with a significant (but likely still relatively irrelevant) media rights deal on the horizon, other decent non-P5 teams may want to leave their conferences and come to the AAC. If that happens and it results in the slots in the AAC becoming much more valuable, Tulane could be in trouble if keeping Tulane would mean keeping out Boise State, SDSU, BYU or other similar schools.
The only thing certain is that change will happen, and Tulane, as usual, will probably sit by with it's thumb up it's rear, and watch it all from the sideline. And all the while, Tulane keeps wondering why it doesn't have broad based support from its alumni.
Picking coaches is a tricky thing, Mike Shula was 6-6 his last year at "Bama. WF will get a fourth year. Let's see if he is flexible enough to change his offense for next year. The AAC linebackers and corners are too fast for the triple option offense Fritz ran when playing in the Mighty 'Belt.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:19 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 am a musical tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6KGuTr9TI
An absolute classic, Golf!! That should be Tulane's new alma mater. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Buddy D actually had a clip of this song with the 1-15 "Aints" it was classic especially the last line...Maybe next year
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I sent an e mail to TD, asking the Tulane Administration to discontinue the Football Program. I expressed my frustration with the current Football Staff and its inabilities to adapt to the competition levle of the AAC.

I provided TD several examples of how Yulman could be used for, to generate Funds for other sports. This included High School Sports as welll as Mardi Gras events and in some cases Concerts

I also provided contact information for several companies that could provide a roof for Yulman with little or no structural changes

TD did respond to my e mail, he understood my frustration, that he and everyone was disappointed how the season has played out, but Tulane, would NOT be reviewing Football, for the purposes of discontinuation.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You do realize you asked for the dropping of all sports. If there's no football no one will support Tulane playing in the Southland. I get the frustration but think it through.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 am You do realize you asked for the dropping of all sports. If there's no football no one will support Tulane playing in the Southland. I get the frustration but think it through.
Then drop all sports...no one goes to any of the other games as well.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am
winwave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 am You do realize you asked for the dropping of all sports. If there's no football no one will support Tulane playing in the Southland. I get the frustration but think it through.
That would save us all a lot of time and money.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am
Win, you left out heartache and anguish. It’s Tuesday and I’m still livid from the crap I witnessed on Saturday. Maybe this bad taste will get washed out with a win this weekend, but I’m not holding my breath.
Wave755
Tsunami

Look, for the first time since Francis Sheldon Hackney we pay a true Div. 1 salary for our coach and no longer have to contend with the "Tulane Model" begun under Eamon Kelly for football in the early 1980s.

WF needs to rethink his offensive philosophy and get a quarterback of Div. 1 caliber for the team. His offense will not work for AAC level of defensive talent. He will get one more year and should be fired if we struggle through for 2019 another season like this one.

If WF "doubles down" on his "offensive philosophy" as did Toledo with Dan Dodd, next year will be his last.

At 1.5 million a year and recruiting to NCAA minimums we will have no trouble finding a promising replacement. And, I am sure the AAC believes we are doing everything right for football and may have just made a bad hire.
sader24
Tsunami

The salary doesn’t matter. Coaches want to go somewhere they can win so it will lead to bigger opportunities at bigger schools. Nobody thinks you can win here.
wave97
Swell

Talent > Eagle Scout Staff/Roster - and that's too bad because Willy Fritz and Staff seem like really decent people. While not mutually exclusive, there are some rare exceptions (Penn State, for one...?)
Bennie Ellender, Larry Smith, Mac Brown & Tommy/Rich were the only hints of success that we've encountered in the last six decades.
Yes, we have a really nifty cartoon/logo/mascot but I'm done with urinating in a fan. Tulane needs to be Tulane without football - it's the only way out. We can't attract talent, we're done!
swampnik
Surge

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:02 pm WTF was that ending?

Nous sommes maudits, sans doute!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave755
Tsunami

Actually, we are our own curse - "no" to Lindy Infante in 1979 & "no" to RR in 1998. When we have opportunity to grow and succeed, we always revert back to finding someone cheap who will "never leave."
swampnik
Surge

wave97 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 am Talent > Eagle Scout Staff/Roster - and that's too bad because Willy Fritz and Staff seem like really decent people. While not mutually exclusive, there are some rare exceptions (Penn State, for one...?)
Bennie Ellender, Larry Smith, Mac Brown & Tommy/Rich were the only hints of success that we've encountered in the last six decades.
Yes, we have a really nifty cartoon/logo/mascot but I'm done with urinating in a fan. Tulane needs to be Tulane without football - it's the only way out. We can't attract talent, we're done!
Jim Pittman and Vince Gibson had their moments though.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
wave97
Swell

swampnik wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:47 pm
wave97 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 am Talent > Eagle Scout Staff/Roster - and that's too bad because Willy Fritz and Staff seem like really decent people. While not mutually exclusive, there are some rare exceptions (Penn State, for one...?)
Vince Gibson was blessed with a roster that could compare to the relative competitiveness of the 1940's era of Tulane Football. That was squandered in the worst way. Nothing but apathy when he arrived on Willow St.
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm
Vince Gibson was blessed with a roster that could compare to the relative competitiveness of the 1940's era of Tulane Football. That was squandered in the worst way. Nothing but apathy when he arrived on Willow St.
:shakingno: Larry Smith recruited "head to head" with LSWho, those were the days.
wave97
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm
:shakingno: Larry Smith recruited "head to head" with LSWho, those were the days.
Plus Ohio State, Penn State & Clemson.
Let's not forget that Tulane started recruiting African Americans in the early to mid 60"s.
It took a while to develop relationships with the coaches and parents of players from historically black high school programs. But we did, and Tulane enjoyed an advantage in recruiting black high school talent. If I am not mistaken LSU signed their first black football player in 1974. The collective memory of those days are long gone. But in the early 70's to mid 80's it definitely played a factor.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:46 pm
Let's not forget that Tulane started recruiting African Americans in the early to mid 60"s.
It took a while to develop relationships with the coaches and parents of players from historically black high school programs. But we did, and Tulane enjoyed an advantage in recruiting black high school talent. If I am not mistaken LSU signed their first black football player in 1974. The collective memory of those days are long gone. But in the early 70's to mid 80's it definitely played a factor.
Tulane had the first Black Athlete in SEC history, Steve Martin played the OF...can U imagine going to Bama, Ole Miss, Miss State etc back in 1964-65 for three days....he was followed by harold Sylvester, who was either the first or secod Black Basketball player in the SEC...
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 pm
Tulane had the first Black Athlete in SEC history, Steve Martin played the OF...can U imagine going to Bama, Ole Miss, Miss State etc back in 1964-65 for three days....he was followed by harold Sylvester, who was either the first or secod Black Basketball player in the SEC...
Michigan State and Syracuse were notable for their early recruitnent of African Americans (Earnie Davis, Bubba Smith). To this day both MSU & SU effectively utilize this history in their recruiting imaging and messaging.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 pm
Michigan State and Syracuse were notable for their early recruitnent of African Americans (Earnie Davis, Bubba Smith). To this day both MSU & SU effectively utilize this history in their recruiting imaging and messaging.
and to think Jim Brown never played one down of football at Syracuse on a football schollie, he was on a laCrosse "ride" and was considered a "walk on"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:38 am
winwave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am
Win, you left out heartache and anguish. It’s Tuesday and I’m still livid from the crap I witnessed on Saturday. Maybe this bad taste will get washed out with a win this weekend, but I’m not holding my breath.
gps- In 2003 if the review would have resulted in the dropping of football I and many others would have felt heartache and anguish. I was there for every march on campus and was standing outside the door of where the vote was being taken.

Fifteen very lean years later I wouldn't feel that way. It's all the more clear that they just don't get it. instead of trying to make myself believe before every new athletic year I could hold on to the few cherished memories- The Year of the Green in 1970, 1973 and the win over lswho, 1979, the wins over lswho in 1981 and 1982. Then of course the perfect season of 1998.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The talk of dropping football, or all sports for that matter, is ludicrous and depressing. Don't give the admin any numbnuts ideas. Yeah we stink. But we have, for the most part, stunk for most of my life. To quote my favorite New Orleans band:
All your weeping
all your suffering.
Lets you know your
JOY, JOY, JOY!
River Run!
If we could get to the point where we play in a bowl game half of the years, and compete for the conference a few times a decade, at least we could remain interested. If we dropped to D3, or even FCS, I would have a hard time getting excited for any games.

Again, I deplore all: Vote with your $$. Don't buy season tickets with the seat licenses for a lousy product. But don't tell the admin to drop football. It would be devastating if somebody from the BOA picked up upon the "giving up on Tulane" by the few remaining fanatics. They could have another review, which would set us back even more than the Cowen review of 2003.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

even with the traveling Coaches clown Show, we still ain't gettin' votes

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... est-ending