Basketball Tryouts Sunday

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Gee I miss the old days. Litigious society we live in. Check out the requirements before even stepping onto the court.
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... ct-14.aspx
Tryouts are available to full-time Tulane students only and are NOT open to the public or non-participants.

To be eligible, all participants must provide proof of primary health insurance, a sports physical from within six months of the tryout date, proof of their sickle cell status, and all of the completed forms attached in the links on this page. The following steps are mandatory:

1. You must make an appointment at health services to complete the attached physical form with a doctor or provide a copy of a physical completed within the last six months.
2. You must provide a copy of sickle cell trait results along with the physical. This portion may not be waived.
3. Once the form is complete, including sickle cell test results, you should proceed to the athletic training office to sign a waiver and receive concussion education.
4. Once these requirements have been met, a copy of the form and waiver will be forwarded to the compliance office and the tryout will be authorized.
Too bad they can’t sign a waiver, go play and if they’re worthy of a spot then make them take those steps.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:30 am Gee I miss the old days. Litigious society we live in. Check out the requirements before even stepping onto the court.
Tryouts are available to full-time Tulane students only and are NOT open to the public or non-participants.

To be eligible, all participants must provide proof of primary health insurance, a sports physical from within six months of the tryout date, proof of their sickle cell status, and all of the completed forms attached in the links on this page. The following steps are mandatory:

1. You must make an appointment at health services to complete the attached physical form with a doctor or provide a copy of a physical completed within the last six months.
2. You must provide a copy of sickle cell trait results along with the physical. This portion may not be waived.
3. Once the form is complete, including sickle cell test results, you should proceed to the athletic training office to sign a waiver and receive concussion education.
4. Once these requirements have been met, a copy of the form and waiver will be forwarded to the compliance office and the tryout will be authorized.
Too bad they can’t sign a waiver, go play and if they’re worthy of a spot then make them take those steps.
Old school. Tulane basketball had tryouts my first semester, fall 1971. I wanted to tryout but had an astronomy class (Dr Purrington), and was too naive to think I could miss a class or two. When the season started, I realized I could have probably made the team—it was that bad. Our basketball fortunes turned for the better the next year when Ernie Losch and John Kardzionak (sp) transferred in,when Loyola killed their program, and gave us a core to build around. Those two had led the Wolfpack to a solid win over the Wave in the ‘71-‘72 season, at the Loyola Fieldhouse.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:51 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:30 am Gee I miss the old days. Litigious society we live in. Check out the requirements before even stepping onto the court.

Old school. Tulane basketball had tryouts my first semester, fall 1971. I wanted to tryout but had an astronomy class (Dr Purrington), and was too naive to think I could miss a class or two. When the season started, I realized I could have probably made the team—it was that bad. Our basketball fortunes turned for the better the next year when Ernie Losch and John Kardzionak (sp) transferred in,when Loyola killed their program, and gave us a core to build around. Those two had led the Wolfpack to a solid win over the Wave in the ‘71-‘72 season, at the Loyola Fieldhouse.
Later Phil Hicks of Loyola and Long Beach State fame transferred in
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good story! I definitely remember those two. Both avg’d 20ppg for the Pack their last year there. My dad would occasionally cover Loyola back then. He became good friends with their coach at the time Bob Luksta. Bob was from Chicago.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 am

Good story! I definitely remember those two. My dad would occasionally cover Loyola back then. He became good friends with their coach at the time Bob Lusker (sp). Bob was from Chicago.
too bad Loyola refused to "sell" the "Fieldhouse ' to Tulane for cash and land rights
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:54 am

True. Hicks was a fantastic player--an incredible leaper, who often had his elbow above the rim.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:44 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 am

Good story! I definitely remember those two. My dad would occasionally cover Loyola back then. He became good friends with their coach at the time Bob Lusker (sp). Bob was from Chicago.
too bad Loyola refused to "sell" the "Fieldhouse ' to Tulane for cash and land rights
Two of the freshman on that '71-'72 team were Luther Strange (former Alabama Attorney General and U.S. Senator) and Tony "Oh-No" Beaulieu. Longo coached one more year, before Charlie Moir took over the next year and started the turn around of Tulane's basketball fortunes, building the team around Phil HIcks.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:00 pm

True. Hicks was a fantastic player--an incredible leaper, who often had his elbow above the rim.
picture this Jeff Parish Rec Dept Men's League team...Phil Hicks Steve Mang, Craig Tolbert, Ron Kirsch, Fabian Mang, Mike Hebert, Mike Malinoski and Myself ... I was honored to be asked to be on the team...... Phil, Steve, Ron and Craig all played College Ball ...Fabian and Mike could have played college but both played Pro Baseball...Malinoski could handle and distribute the ball very well ....I did an excellent job of showing up for each game...later when residing in Clear Lake, I played with Ken "Juice' Williams and Arthur Ross, both NBA players.....fyi, Johnson Space Center is in Clear Lake TX not Houston
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:35 pm

picture this Jeff Parish Rec Dept Men's League team...Phil Hicks Steve Mang, Craig Tolbert, Ron Kirsch, Fabian Mang, Mike Hebert, Mike Malinoski and Myself ... I was honored to be asked to be on the team...... Phil, Steve, Ron and Craig all played College Ball ...Fabian and Mike could have played college but both played Pro Baseball...Malinoski could handle and distribute the ball very well ....I did an excellent job of showing up for each game...later when residing in Clear Lake, I played with Ken "Juice' Williams and Arthur Ross, both NBA players.....fyi, Johnson Space Center is in Clear Lake TX not Houston
If NASA isn’t in the Clear Lake section that is in Houston, then Houston needs to annex the rest of Clear Lake. My brother (played for SMU) and I used to scrimmage with UH’s team during the summer. Just before my sophomore year I blew my ankle out on the old tartan floor at Hofeinz Pavilion, and spent the first six weeks of the fall semester in a cast. Years later we too played in the Houston city leagues, with a bunch of old college players—perhaps our paths crossed on the courts—though I’m guessing I’m much older.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:12 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:35 pm

If NASA isn’t in the Clear Lake section that is in Houston, then Houston needs to annex the rest of Clear Lake. My brother (played for SMU) and I used to scrimmage with UH’s team during the summer. Just before my sophomore year I blew my ankle out on the old tartan floor at Hofeinz Pavilion, and spent the first six weeks of the fall semester in a cast. Years later we too played in the Houston city leagues, with a bunch of old college players—perhaps our paths crossed on the courts—though I’m guessing I’m much older.
When I lived in Clear Lake, right off NASA Rd 1 and Nassau Bay Blvd, I do not think Houston had not annexed any part of Clear Lake yet, besides if U lived in Clear Lake, U never claimed Houston ...this would have been 1975 to 1979, before I move to THE Woodlands, TX... I had the opportunity to play with Mike Newlin and Calvin Murphy at 2nd (?) Baptist Church, right by 610 and Post Oak if I remember correctly but the nights they played I had other commitments ...I remember the tartan floor at UH, what a terrible surface to play basketball on, knees and ankles would get twisted in a second,...give me Maple Floors anytime...the same as Metry Playground once had or Metry Jr Hi still has