AD FUNDRAISING

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Pretty sad comment by Dannen in the September TULANE magazine. He hopes to have enough money raised in a few YEARS, translate MORE, TO START CONSTRUCTION on an athletics performance facility.

At least Dannen is admitting that these first few years of his (not) fundraising have been a failure

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

Dickson had failures but fund raising was not one of them. He saved athletics in 2003 and raised $100 million in two years to build Yulman.
Not sure what Dannen has done outside of bringing back a 1960’s Angry Wave character. All his coaching hires have been losers.
His seat license idea shows his laziness. Can’t get new donors so stick it to the loyal ones.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm Dickson had failures but fund raising was not one of them. He saved athletics in 2003 and raised $100 million in two years to build Yulman.
Not sure what Dannen has done outside of bringing back a 1960’s Angry Wave character. All his coaching hires have been losers.
His seat license idea shows his laziness. Can’t get new donors so stick it to the loyal ones.
Yulman was supposed to be built at a cost of $72 million. At it's opening, Mr. Yulman announced a challenge to raise the last $10-20 million saying he'd match whatever the "number" was that would put them to fully funded. We didn't get updates on that for over a year, and I never found out if/when Dickson hit that target.

A lot of the money that was raised under Dickson came from BOA members. Many longtime Tulane donors have died off. The President is responsible for fundraising, something that lacked, by measurement of our endowment growth compared to our peers, under the previous admin. I cannot say anything about the current admin's fundraising, I just don't know how successful or unsuccessful they've been.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm Dickson had failures but fund raising was not one of them. He saved athletics in 2003 and raised $100 million in two years to build Yulman.
Dickson sucked at everything including fundraising. He didn't save athletics. We did. He didn't even know the review was going on. Benchmarks were set that had to be met over a 5 year period. We weren't anything close to them. Katrina hit and then they realized the importance of athletics in keeping the school out there. The benchmarks were forgotten. He failed to raise the money for the piss ant stadium. The last bit was put up in whole by the two guys that put up the challenge. Fuck Dickson.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:56 pm
Dickson sucked at everything including fundraising. He didn't save athletics. We did. He didn't even know the review was going on. Benchmarks were set that had to be met over a 5 year period. We weren't anything close to them. Katrina hit and then they realized the importance of athletics in keeping the school out there. The benchmarks were forgotten. He failed to raise the money for the piss ant stadium. The last bit was put up in whole by the two guys that put up the challenge. Fuck Dickson.
I’m not defending Dickson but only comparing him to Dannen. Dickson did Turchin, Devlin, Hertz and Yulman. Dannen renovated a lockeroom.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

In his first seven years as president, Cowen didn't even try to raise any money for Tulane--he was too busy serving on corporate boards and putting the fees in his pocket. After Katrina, and in concert with various government grants, he may have raised a little, but over 18 years he did virtually nothing to increase Tulane's endowment. He was the ultimate failure as a university president--on all fronts.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 am
I’m not defending Dickson but only comparing him to Dannen. Dickson did Turchin, Devlin, Hertz and Yulman. Dannen renovated a lockeroom.
NEVER, underestimate the importance of working urinals !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 am
In his first seven years as president, Cowen didn't even try to raise any money for Tulane--he was too busy serving on corporate boards and putting the fees in his pocket. After Katrina, and in concert with various government grants, he may have raised a little, but over 18 years he did virtually nothing to increase Tulane's endowment. He was the ultimate failure as a university president--on all fronts.
I agree. Cowen had no interest in building athletics. He was actively working against Dickson for years. Cowen blocked Tim Floyd and he refused to let Dickson spend the needed money to attract decent FB coaches. Dickson should have left under those circumstances. After Katrina I think he felt obligated to stay on until things settled.
Dannen on the other hand has the full support of Fitts and the board. His budget is double of that which Cowen gave Dickson. He’s not getting the job done.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They can't be compared at this point. RD had 18 years. Dannen is in his third year. You've always defended Dickson and tried to put the blame solely on SC. Fact is your boy RD publicly stated multiple times "WE DON'T JUDGE BY WINS AND LOSSES AT Tulane". He loved not having to worry about having any pressure to produce. RJ raised the money for Turchin. Downsizing Fogelman into Devlin was idiotic. Hertz should have been part of a new arena on Rosen. Instead we got the POSS. Yulman is a joke. The money wasted on it could have got us the Football ops. and basketball arena and practice facility. Those were the facilities the two major sports needed to put them in the game.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 am
They can't be compared at this point. RD had 18 years. Dannen is in his third year. You've always defended Dickson and tried to put the blame solely on SC. Fact is your boy RD publicly stated multiple times "WE DON'T JUDGE BY WINS AND LOSSES AT Tulane". He loved not having to worry about having any pressure to produce. RJ raised the money for Turchin. Downsizing Fogelman into Devlin was idiotic. Hertz should have been part of a new arena on Rosen. Instead we got the POSS. Yulman is a joke. The money wasted on it could have got us the Football ops. and basketball arena and practice facility. Those were the facilities the two major sports needed to put them in the game.
I’ve never defended Dickson. He was bad and set a very low bar for Dannen. (I contributed to his Fire plane banner) I don’t want to hijack this thread. This is a Dannen thread. So far Dannen renovated a locker room. Dannen has no restrictions. I’m disappointed with Dannen hires. Going into year 3 and we’re still losing. I’m disappointed with the seat license BS. It’s a lazy way out. Dannen knows the remaining loyal fans will suck it up and pay. He needs to go out and find new sources of money. Shame on him if he can’t find the funds for an ops building. He’s in the wrong business if he can’t. Fitts is running rings around him fund raising and he’s been in the job for the same time.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Dick didn't fund raise, Cowen just sold off board seats to get a few big donors to commit.

The big time donors have dried out and the programs have not won, so TD can't make anything happen. Can;t say it helps coming from UNI either.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am Dick didn't fund raise, Cowen just sold off board seats to get a few big donors to commit.

The big time donors have dried out and the programs have not won, so TD can't make anything happen. Can;t say it helps coming from UNI either.
Yes and no. It’s very common for large donors be to given a seat. Dickson did raise money needed to save athletics after Cowen tried to kill it in 2003. Once again Dickson set the lowest bar in history. Dannen hasn’t done anything in regards to facilities besides renovating a locker room and that’s what this thread is about.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am Dick didn't fund raise, Cowen just sold off board seats to get a few big donors to commit.

Yes and no. It’s very common for large donors be to given a seat. Dickson did raise money needed to save athletics after Cowen tried to kill it in 2003. Once again Dickson set the lowest bar in history. Dannen hasn’t done anything in regards to facilities besides renovating a locker room and that’s what this thread is about.
That's absolutely untrue. RD did not raise money to save Tulane athletics. He was given benchmarks to meet over the next 5 year period or there was going to be another review. Because he was so inept the losing continued and we weren't close to meeting those benchmarks. Katrina saved Tulane athletics. They then realized they needed athletics to keep the school out there. The benchmarks were forgotten.

Don't forget golfnut is the one who saw the letter Cowen had written to Texas to cancel the game because Tulane was giving up football. he brought it to key people's attention and then the masses assembled to save Tulane athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 am
winwave wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 am
I’ve never defended Dickson. He was bad and set a very low bar for Dannen. (I contributed to his Fire plane banner) I don’t want to hijack this thread. This is a Dannen thread. So far Dannen renovated a locker room. Dannen has no restrictions. I’m disappointed with Dannen hires. Going into year 3 and we’re still losing. I’m disappointed with the seat license BS. It’s a lazy way out. Dannen knows the remaining loyal fans will suck it up and pay. He needs to go out and find new sources of money. Shame on him if he can’t find the funds for an ops building. He’s in the wrong business if he can’t. Fitts is running rings around him fund raising and he’s been in the job for the same time.
Tulane has doubled a teeny tiny budget that is still too far below what's needed to compete much less win. Unlike when your friend RD was AD those other schools are now getting $40 million a year. RD dried up all the donors to build a monument to himself- the POSS. There are a lot of Tulane alums that are willing to donate to the academic side. It's much tougher on the athletic side and the pool of donors was drained to build the POSS. Also as I said before there's no comparing someone who was here for 18 years versus someone here for less than three.
Show Me
Tsunami

Yes donors dry up and die. That’s normal. A good AD should always be traveling raising new money. They have other personnel running day to day things. Many of those donors were “tied to the hip” to Dickson and Cowen (Benson, Glazer, Hertz, Devlin and Yulman as ex.) Yulman had never given before to Athletics. Dannen needs to find his own donors. There are donors out there he’s not getting the job done.
Every AD has them. Ben Weiner, Billy Goldring and Jim Wilson are a few from the past that come to mind. In fact we had donors buy out coaches contracts in the past.
Dannen not winning is his own fault. His hires are his hires.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

All RD did was travel and at the end of it the money had to come from board members. And again RD was here 18 years. Dannen is on the job less than three so there's no way to compare fundraising abilities at this point. It really can't come as a surprise to anyone who has followed Tulane closely that athletics would have a difficult time raising money after bleeding the donors dry for the POSS.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm All RD did was travel and at the end of it the money had to come from board members. And again RD was here 18 years. Dannen is on the job less than three so there's no way to compare fundraising abilities at this point. It really can't come as a surprise to anyone who has followed Tulane closely that athletics would have a difficult time raising money after bleeding the donors dry for the POSS.
We’re at a point of no return. Can’t go back and change things. Going forward Dannen needs to get it done. I suspect the thread was started to reflect this. Most are not seeing any results in anything. Fitts is showing results in the same period. That’s all. Excusing Dannen for Dickson bleeding donors is absurd. He needs to go out a raise new money.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's easy to see the difference between raising money for the academic side at Tulane versus the athletic side. It's also easy to see that the athletic donors were bled dry to have a monument built to SC/RD. What did RD do in his first three years? He didn't raise any money until, if one wants to give credit to him for donors that SC got by giving them board seats, 15 years into his error. So you only have 12 more years to see id TD can match your friend. Your hero also did a horrible job of hiring coaches. He failed miserably at his job. He should never be brought up in comparison.
DrBox
Riptide

Cowen got some of his CEO friends to give TU athletics money. Dickson didn't raise squat.
Neither is TD, apparently, and gouging season ticket holders won't help, but that's another story.
Show Me
Tsunami

So we agree the bar is the lowest in the NCAA thanks to Dickson therefore Dannen should have no problem exceeding Dickson.
Dave breslin
Swell

Wow! We are arguing on who is a bigger failure. It happens to be tulane and us fans who have bled green. Can’t totally blame either AD. Both have blown chunks. RD did it for many years and than farted in our face. Dannen is giving it the old UNI try. Nice guy but righting this ship maybe a job for Superman. Hopefully someone can sober up at Tulane and get us back on the road.
sader24
Tsunami

I wish we still played in the Superdome.
Dave breslin
Swell

I wish we played well
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm So we agree the bar is the lowest in the NCAA thanks to Dickson therefore Dannen should have no problem exceeding Dickson.
We just need 12 years to find out . Enjoy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 pm I wish we still played in the Superdome.
More and more people are realizing that.