Wave Beats The Wave,Cincinnati wins 37-21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Watching this game made me ill and now we have two weeks to let the wound fester before SMU. Brace yourselves. Should we lose that game, this will be an even lower point than we experienced at the end of CJ's tenure. SMU is not just a 'must' win. It's a 'you-better-win-or-else'.

It's tough being a Tulane fan. Definitely not for the faint and now our intrepid AD requires that we purchase a license to feel so crappy. Mr. Dannen, if you're reading these posts, how do you feel about waiting until football mid-season to announce your marketing scheme?

TURVS71
Swell

At this point in time and based on the product now the football field l, it is ludicrous to expect me and others to pay MORE into this program. There HAS to be a consistent improvement.

This idea should be shelved until 2020
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I remember when Fritz and the media pumped up Alex Atkins as the offensive line coach. The offensive line sucks in year three of this coaching regime. Offensive coordinator Doug Ruse sucks too. Fire both Ruse and Atkins at the end of the season. If Fritz won't do it he needs to go too. Also how can we run four and five receiver sets when we don't have any receivers besides Encalade and Mooney. Coaches did not do their job in recruiting enough quality receivers. I am fed up with this coaching staff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Team hasn’t showed any progress since maybe before the SMU game last year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:27 pm Cincy has 3 turnovers and still won the Wave didn’t beat themselves today. They are just bad.
Cincy tried its best to beat itself but failed.
We drop balls every week and we get dumb penalties every game. That’s who we are. We’re not a good road football team at this point.
Turnovers aren't the only measure of beating yourself. terrible coaching, being undisciplined, committing twelve penalties. Plus like many of us have said- WE'RE JUST BAD.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:37 pm JV offense is charitable. JV high school maybe. I honestly think Tulane has the talent to be better on offense with a good scheme. I don’t think the coaches bring much to the table in the way of intellect. I don’t think the coaches can run a more complex scheme.
This. They just aren't up to it at this level. Constantly out coached. The best thing they have going for them is that there are some really bad teams left on our schedule.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:07 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:59 pm Thank God for living in NOLA. Lots of fun stuff to go out and do and enjoy the day.
Amen. Only thing that’ll make my night better is a LSU loss.
Got that LSWHO loss !!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave
High Tide

Fritz and his assistant coaches should have stayed at Georgia Southern. They had no business at a higher level based on their coaching abilities or lack thereof. Of course, from Fritz's vantage point, he made out well getting a salary at Tulane that I would guess is at least double or maybe even triple what he made at Georgia Southern. Thanks to Dannen, Fritz has taken Tulane to the cleaners and is probably one of the most overpaid college coaches in the country.
Pepper
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:13 pm Fritz and his assistant coaches should have stayed at Georgia Southern. They had no business at a higher level based on their coaching abilities or lack thereof. Of course, from Fritz's vantage point, he made out well getting a salary at Tulane that I would guess is at least double or maybe even triple what he made at Georgia Southern. Thanks to Dannen, Fritz has taken Tulane to the cleaners and is probably one of the most overpaid college coaches in the country.
No decent coach wants this job. It's a coach killer. Anti-athletic admin, piss poor facilities, no fan base. I could go on and on. We are stuck with what we got.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Jaxwave
Swell

Pepper, you are correct.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I strongly believe we could get a good coach. In previous coaching searches I remember we had a good chance of landing Jim Harbaugh before Stanford came into the picture and got him. Also, I remember that Todd Monken wanted to come here but Oklahoma State's head coach pressured him not to leave. Monken would have been perfect for Tulane. Plus now we pay our head coach and assistants more than we did during previous head coaching searches. I truly believe we could hire a good up and coming head coach. Fritz is an abysmal failure especially considering Tulane pays him $1.5 million annually.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pepper wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:13 pm Fritz and his assistant coaches should have stayed at Georgia Southern. They had no business at a higher level based on their coaching abilities or lack thereof. Of course, from Fritz's vantage point, he made out well getting a salary at Tulane that I would guess is at least double or maybe even triple what he made at Georgia Southern. Thanks to Dannen, Fritz has taken Tulane to the cleaners and is probably one of the most overpaid college coaches in the country.
No decent coach wants this job. It's a coach killer. Anti-athletic admin, piss poor facilities, no fan base. I could go on and on. We are stuck with what we got.
Cowen created what we got, and our board brought Cowen to Tulane, so yes we created what we got. Only we, and the board, can get us out of what we got. At this point it has become painfully obvious that Willie and his boys are just picking up a pay check each month.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 pm
Pepper wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm
Cowen created what we got, and our board brought Cowen to Tulane, so yes we created what we got. Only we, and the board, can get us out of what we got. At this point it has become painfully obvious that Willie and his boys are just picking up a pay check each month.
Accountability does not exist @ Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 pm I strongly believe we could get a good coach. In previous coaching searches I remember we had a good chance of landing Jim Harbaugh before Stanford came into the picture and got him. Also, I remember that Todd Monken wanted to come here but Oklahoma State's head coach pressured him not to leave. Monken would have been perfect for Tulane. Plus now we pay our head coach and assistants more than we did during previous head coaching searches. I truly believe we could hire a good up and coming head coach. Fritz is an abysmal failure especially considering Tulane pays him $1.5 million annually.
Wish that was the case. Unfortunately it's not. The Tulane job used to be seen as a stepping stone job. Now it's seen as a career killer. Yes we pay more than we used to but thats classic low bar syndrome. Tulane has no idea what it takes to win at this level. NONE.
wave97
Swell

msdos wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:09 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:07 pm Here's the tease.

Tulane is going to sneak past SMU in two weeks. They aren't actually getting anywhere, but they're just competitive enough to not get WF fired.
Willy isn't getting fired because our dickhead AD gave him an extension after 2 losing seasons
+1
How are you going to spin that one Troy? Your principal achievement to date is changing our primary logo into a comic book character.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Some observations:
We are a undisciplined team. Same penalties every week including hitting guys way out of bounds.
We can’t catch. When it happens almost every week it’s who you are. When you make plays it’s the exception.
We are unprepared or at least appear so. The team doesn’t seem motivated to play. Last week the uni’s and helmets had them pumped up and we played well. Outside of Memphis and Nicholls we haven’t.
For the most part our QB play has been disappointing.
Finally until we do win we are losers. It’s that simple.
With that said I had us at 2-4 at this point. I still think we can win 3 of the last 6. We win our 3 home games SMU, ECU and Navy and lose our 3 road games Tulsa, USF, and Houston.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Very disappointed in this coaching staff and team. THEY let 3 very winnable game get out of hand and basically destroyed this season at this point.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

TURVS71 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 am Very disappointed in this coaching staff and team. THEY let 3 very winnable game get out of hand and basically destroyed this season at this point.
It’s just so frustrating to watch this team get completely out coached in most games. If we have any type of offensive strategy, identity, imagination we would have beat Cincy, Wake, and UAB. I’m at the point as a Tulane fan I just can’t continue to support something that shows zero return on investment year after year. It’s clear this coaching staff is in over its head but no accountability exists.

Fritz will be given another year regardless of what happens the rest of this year. I pray I’m wrong, but from what I have seen over the past few seasons the results on the field will be the same.

TD talks a great game, but what has he accomplished here other than bringing back the angry wave?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To make matters worse after the game Fritz said it might have been a mistake to play McMillan. They just love to pile on the misery they provide.
msdos
Swell

JV AD hires career JV coach and these are the result. Buckle up, a few more years to sit through before any kind of change is made
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:07 am Some observations:
We are a undisciplined team. Same penalties every week including hitting guys way out of bounds.
We can’t catch. When it happens almost every week it’s who you are. When you make plays it’s the exception.
We are unprepared or at least appear so. The team doesn’t seem motivated to play. Last week the uni’s and helmets had them pumped up and we played well. Outside of Memphis and Nicholls we haven’t.
For the most part our QB play has been disappointing.
Finally until we do win we are losers. It’s that simple.
With that said I had us at 2-4 at this point. I still think we can win 3 of the last 6. We win our 3 home games SMU, ECU and Navy and lose our 3 road games Tulsa, USF, and Houston.
I could not agree more.

This is a run first offense. Look at how many negative plays (those that gain less than 3 yards, or result in a turnover) we had with the passing game this past week vs. Cincy. Look at how many positive plays we had. Bradwell ran for 14 yards the first play of the game, yet some say we need to pass to set up the run, which goes against every statistical measure you can throw at Fritz's teams. Can we line up and run against 8 in the box (the definition of a "stacked box"?) Hell no. But we should welcome the opposition to stack the box and take advantage with quick passes. We're not a passing team and have well below FBS average talent in the passing game. Nobody in our passing game is going to play on Sundays, at least not in the NFL. (If you think otherwise, WATCH SOME DECENT COLLEGE TEAMS!) We have better than average RB's, and a scheme that allows a lousy O-line to facilitate 200 yard rushing games regularly. And when we rush for 250, we're undefeated. When we fail to do so, we're something like 1=12. Take that to the bank.

I had us at 2-4 at this point and winning 5 of the last 6. I think 6-6 is more realistic at this point, but we need to run the damned ball.

I'm off to Mexico on business, so I wont argue this and steal the thread. But I'll have another good laugh when I read you-know-who's response.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 am Very disappointed in this coaching staff and team. THEY let 3 very winnable game get out of hand and basically destroyed this season at this point.
Wake and UAB we were tied in the late in the second half. Neither team was decidedly worse or better than Tulane. We lost. Calling those two as out of hand is a little exaggerated, IMHO. Cincy we let get out of hand when we threw the ball something like 11 out of 16 plays and didn't pick up a first down on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions. By the time that stretch was over, so was the game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
torbida
Surge

It never fails, we get a big win then follow it up with losing.-it's like the coaching staff refuses to stick with what got the victory the previous week..I'm hoping we're not witnessing Bob Toledo 2.0.I pray that during bye week they decide who the starter is and work on throwing a few screens to Dauphine to take advantage of his speed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

torbida wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm It never fails, we get a big win then follow it up with losing.-it's like the coaching staff refuses to stick with what got the victory the previous week..I'm hoping we're not witnessing Bob Toledo 2.0.I pray that during bye week they decide who the starter is and work on throwing a few screens to Dauphine to take advantage of his speed.
Yep. What got us a win against Memphis was being balanced. But we have some idiots that think we can just line up and run it into a stacked box. Like I said when we play decent defenses or better that doesn't happen. So we beat some mickey mouse light weights when we run the ball 100 times. When we play real teams and try to do that we lose. We need to be balanced. Some people just enjoy losing.