2018-19 BOWL PROJECTIONS

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

The American Conference has 7 bowl tie-ins. We currently have 6 teams already bowl eligible with SMU and Tulane at 5-5. If it gets to a choice between SMU and Tulane both at 6-6, I would think SMU would be chosen because they beat us. Imagine finally getting bowl eligible and not having anywhere to go. The one thing that changes that dynamic is if UCF goes undefeated, they will be in a New Year 6 game and it would leave an extra slot with the automatic tie-ins. It seems that it is greatly in Tulane's interest, not only to win, but for UCF to not lose.

RobertM320
Green Wave

According to this we have 7 tie-ins and two secondary tie-ins. There will be a spot for us somewhere.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:45 am The American Conference has 7 bowl tie-ins. We currently have 6 teams already bowl eligible with SMU and Tulane at 5-5. If it gets to a choice between SMU and Tulane both at 6-6, I would think SMU would be chosen because they beat us. Imagine finally getting bowl eligible and not having anywhere to go. The one thing that changes that dynamic is if UCF goes undefeated, they will be in a New Year 6 game and it would leave an extra slot with the automatic tie-ins. It seems that it is greatly in Tulane's interest, not only to win, but for UCF to not lose.

Of course, if we were to beat UCF in an AAC CG, we'd be 8-5. We'd get somewhere decent. Not sure what the specific tie-in is for our conf champ, assuming they don't get the NY6.

Also, would a 12-1 UCF team that lost in the CG necessarily NOT still be the highest ranked G5 team and get the NY6 game?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dave breslin
Swell

Counting chicks before they hatch. Cart before the horse...... Beat Houston!!!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 am Counting chicks before they hatch. Cart before the horse...... Beat Houston!!!
Absolute this, but even with a loss to Houston a victory over Navy puts us at a bowl-eligible 6-6 and punches our ticket to at least the New Orleans Bowl. Bowls will be scrambling to fill their spots and some will be forced to accept teams with losing records.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 am
Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 am Counting chicks before they hatch. Cart before the horse...... Beat Houston!!!
Absolute this, but even with a loss to Houston a victory over Navy puts us at a bowl-eligible 6-6 and punches our ticket to at least the New Orleans Bowl. Bowls will be scrambling to fill their spots and some will be forced to accept teams with losing records.
losing records, the American Standard Toilet Bowl...where both teams are crappy....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Not putting the cart before the horse. Engineer had a legit concern that we could finish 6-6 and not make a bowl, and I gave him info showing otherwise. I'm not at all projecting us to win the conf.

What I did was ask a followup question: If UCF loses in the AAC CG (regardless of opponent) , is it possible they don't get the NY6 bowl?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good call.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:26 am This Houston game is probably the BIGGEST game that Tulane football has faced in the past 10 years. I feel pretty confident that Memphis will take care of SMU....this Tulane team must rise to the challenge! I would trust that the coaching staff understands this and that the team won’t relax a bit thinking that they can still get a bowl by beating Navy. This game is a step to something that we have NOT had in a very long time!!
So much for that. Navy now the biggest I suppose.
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

Still have a shot. Gotta beat Navy.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 pm Still have a shot. Gotta beat Navy.
Couldn’t ask for a better opponent to beat. Two win Navy is bad this year. We should win by a few TD’s or more. They finish with Army. So that’s also in our favor.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:45 am The American Conference has 7 bowl tie-ins. We currently have 6 teams already bowl eligible with SMU and Tulane at 5-5. If it gets to a choice between SMU and Tulane both at 6-6, I would think SMU would be chosen because they beat us. Imagine finally getting bowl eligible and not having anywhere to go. The one thing that changes that dynamic is if UCF goes undefeated, they will be in a New Year 6 game and it would leave an extra slot with the automatic tie-ins. It seems that it is greatly in Tulane's interest, not only to win, but for UCF to not lose.

Of course, if we were to beat UCF in an AAC CG, we'd be 8-5. We'd get somewhere decent. Not sure what the specific tie-in is for our conf champ, assuming they don't get the NY6.

Also, would a 12-1 UCF team that lost in the CG necessarily NOT still be the highest ranked G5 team and get the NY6 game?
The NY6 game goes to the highest ranked G5 champ, so, even if UCF was the highest ranked G5, it wouldn’t get that spot if It wasn’t the AAC champ.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:11 pm
The NY6 game goes to the highest ranked G5 champ, so, even if UCF was the highest ranked G5, it wouldn’t get that spot if It wasn’t the AAC champ.
I just looked it up. That is correct. Also, all the conf champs of P5s that don't make the CFP are guaranteed a spot in NY6. Only team other than UCF that would have a shot for AAC is Cincy. Whomever wins the East needs to win the CG.