What was that?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

Does anybody have any idea or want to fathom a guess on where that came from?

oliveandblue
Surge

Memphis played NO ONE. They lost to a bad Navy team.

Tulane had a narrow ACC loss in OT, a failed away comeback, and Ohio State. We aren't good, but we were more tested than Memphis.
Jaxwave
Swell

Do you think Fritz spent the last two weeks preparing for Memphis and pretty much ignored Ohio St? If so, it was a great decision.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

We got smoked by this team by 30 last year. We also haven’t beat them in close to 10 seasons? It was a great win tonight and proved one thing to me, we suck on the road but almost always have a shot to win at home.
oliveandblue
Surge

Memphis just played like Tulane did against UAB. This is a classic upset. It doesn't mean we've turned the corner, but it does mean the season extends for a few more weeks.

We just rectified the UAB loss. I don't know what to expect now.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm Memphis played NO ONE. They lost to a bad Navy team.

Tulane had a narrow ACC loss in OT, a failed away comeback, and Ohio State. We aren't good, but we were more tested than Memphis.
This.

Memphis may actually not be as good as UAB and was exposed in a loss to a Navy team that lost to Hawaii. That is not intended to take away from the win, but it is intended to flash warning lights before expectations get too high.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:29 pm Does anybody have any idea or want to fathom a guess on where that came from?
Yep. Coaching staff felt the heat and opened things up. Came out balanced and Memphis didn't know what to do. They set Banks free to take off and he won the game. Only a fool would say otherwise.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm Memphis played NO ONE. They lost to a bad Navy team.

This. This is a bad Memphis team. As I've said all along the conference is down this year and that's the best thing we have going for us. I give credit to Memphis' AD. He knew they'd be bad and thus their schedule. The conference is so bad they may get to 6 wins and keep their Bowl streak alive.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:50 pm Do you think Fritz spent the last two weeks preparing for Memphis and pretty much ignored Ohio St? If so, it was a great decision.
Nope. He felt the heat and opened things up.
DrBox
Riptide

What that was is what we expected from game 1.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I post this only for the other sane Tulane fans. Honestly, most of the people who post here are miserable & negative individuals.

Lets celebrate a win, and a big win at that!!! Memphis is a good team that 9/10 times would have beaten navy sans the weather and would have been ranked in the top 25 coming in. Guys stop posting your negative nonsense and go somewhere else if you don’t like when the green wave wins.

We have a shot at salvaging the season. This negates the UAB loss.

You literally drive away casual fans ! I can already hear the responses to this but as the kids say - dgaf
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:55 pm I post this only for the other sane Tulane fans. Honestly, most of the people who post here are miserable & negative individuals.

Lets celebrate a win, and a big win at that!!! Memphis is a good team that 9/10 times would have beaten navy sans the weather and would have been ranked in the top 25 coming in. Guys stop posting your negative nonsense and go somewhere else if you don’t like when the green wave wins.

You literally drive away casual fans ! I can already hear the responses to this but as the kids say - dgaf

Thanks Troy Dannen for your post. FOAD
Ruski
Swell

1. Look what happens when we stick to the plan and actually run the freaking ball! Wake and UAB game it seemed like the coaches got too cute and came out throwing like we're Texas Tech. Here we were balanced and let the run game open up the passing game, like last year.

2. We got a damned good punter! WOW. What a difference from recent years! Game changer!

3. WTF is up with the AAC West?!? It's Houston and then a pile of crap. Let's at least be at the top of that pile of crap!

I actually missed the game. Couldn't take any more after Wake/UAB. But my faith is partially restored. Now let's go win this damned division!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:10 pm Memphis just played like Tulane did against UAB. This is a classic upset. It doesn't mean we've turned the corner, but it does mean the season extends for a few more weeks.

We just rectified the UAB loss. I don't know what to expect now.
I couldn’t agree more. It was the perfect setup for a potential upset.
You had us blown out last week
Memphis came in overconfident on a short road week.
Memphis is overrated this year having beaten no one of stature.
The bad weather was to our advantage.
And of course the new uni’s and helmets.
But we had to play well and we did.
Congrats on the win and keeping the bowl hopes alive.
This offsets the UAB loss. I had us 2-3 at this point.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
green4life
Low Tide

When someone sees the highlights with Graff commentary, please post the link. That's my only lifeline over here. Thanks.
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
AugWave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:55 pm I post this only for the other sane Tulane fans. Honestly, most of the people who post here are miserable & negative individuals.

He's not lying. You mf's will always find a way to say a win ain't a win. The shit is sad, actually. Congrats to the squad, and let's beat shit down Cincy's leg.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 pm

This. This is a bad Memphis team. As I've said all along the conference is down this year and that's the best thing we have going for us. I give credit to Memphis' AD. He knew they'd be bad and thus their schedule. The conference is so bad they may get to 6 wins and keep their Bowl streak alive.
The conference may be a bit down, but it's still clearly the best Group of 5 conference so far and have several wins over Power 5 teams this season.
swampnik
Surge

Started well 7-0 and the Fritz got creative and bold with onside and Memphis recovered. First play, Hendrson scored and many TU fans were already thinking doom and gloom thoughts comme dab; but no, THIS ONE BELONGED to the WAVE!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
RobertM320
Green Wave

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch the game, but did follow it on gamecast. I've just been looking over the box score and some highlights and a couple of things were interesting. After McMillian threw the TD pass on his first play to put us up 24-14, we DIDN'T call another pass play the rest of the game. Of course, we only ran 17 plays and 3 of those were victory formations. So before McMillian came in, it was 39-21 run/pass ratio. That's about as balanced as I'd expect it to be, because Memphis' run D was AWFUL.

-- Bradwell is a beast, 143 yds and 2 TDs
-- Dauphine is the real deal. I bet he and Bradwell will be considered one of the better RB tandems in the conference last season, maybe even better than
Hillard/Badie was.
--Best game for Huderson in his career.
-- Three backs with over 7 YPC in the game.

-- We had 7 sacks, 4 by sophomores and 3 by freshmen. That bodes well for the future.

-- Still too many penalties at inopportune times.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dave breslin
Swell

Good synopsis Robert. Great win but keep it going! Thanks to coaches for waking up on offense. Much more open than WAke game. It’s hard not to be sceptical after years of following Tulane but one step at a time. ROLL WAVE
DrBox
Riptide

The only pressure Fritz faced was the pressure of a coach of a 1-3 team that should be better than 1-3. He's getting his 5 years; he's the best credentialed coach TU has hired since Mack Brown (who was one of the nation's top coordinators when hired). If we give CJ/Price Bros 4, Toledo 4+, Teevens 5 for going 2-9 every year, and Scelfo 8 (Yikes!), he's getting his 5 rain or shine.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

AugWave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:40 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 am

He's not lying. You mf's will always find a way to say a win ain't a win. The shit is sad, actually. Congrats to the squad, and let's beat shit down Cincy's leg.
Best comment I’ve seen this morning is by AugWave!
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Memphis beat...Mercer...Ga State..So"Bama and lost to Navy and Tulane.... Switch the schedules and Tulane would be at worse 4-1 and Memphis 1-4....UAB had 16 seniors start, many with P5 playing time and were better than the record and Tulane should have beaten them...one more thing, it was a good feeling to send those 11 Louisiana kids back to Memphis as losers
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am Memphis beat...Mercer...Ga State..So"Bama and lost to Navy and Tulane.... Switch the schedules and Tulane would be at worse 4-1 and Memphis 1-4....UAB had 16 seniors start, many with P5 playing time and were better than the record and Tulane should have beaten them...one more thing, it was a good feeling to send those 11 Louisiana kids back to Memphis as losers
Honestly, the AAC West this year doesn’t look that good outside of Houston, so that may be good for Tulane.

There are two short term goals for Tulane:

1. Reaching a bowl and
2. Fielding a good football team

Defeating an overrated Memphis team was a step in the right direction for a bowl, but Tulane’s losses to a Wake Forest team that just fired its DC in season and to a UAB team that didn’t play football two seasons ago indicate that it’s still not good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am Memphis beat...Mercer...Ga State..So"Bama and lost to Navy and Tulane.... Switch the schedules and Tulane would be at worse 4-1 and Memphis 1-4....UAB had 16 seniors start, many with P5 playing time and were better than the record and Tulane should have beaten them...one more thing, it was a good feeling to send those 11 Louisiana kids back to Memphis as losers
Honestly, the AAC West this year doesn’t look that good outside of Houston, so that may be good for Tulane.

There are two short term goals for Tulane:

1. Reaching a bowl and
2. Fielding a good football team

Defeating an overrated Memphis team was a step in the right direction for a bowl, but Tulane’s losses to a Wake Forest team that just fired its DC in season and to a UAB team that didn’t play football two seasons ago indicate that it’s still not good.
I don't truly think you can equate UAB to other schools in their second year of football. They had the coach, And they were able to bring in lots of P5 transfers with promises of playing time. This isn't like they started off fielding an all freshman/sophomore team.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson