2018-2019 Pre-Season Basketball Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We have played some but we need to get good enough to really play more than one there a year.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

torbida wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:19 pm Why doesn't basketball play a few games at the Smoothie King Center?
$$$$$$$$$
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:32 am
DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 am
DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am The team will be better this year than last year; and next year will be better than this year. How much better in each case, I don't know.
And they will be a lot better than they were in 16-17.
Based on what?
Based on 3 years in a system and better overall talent and more depth. Frazier was obviously a NBA talent, but it didn't translate to the team, as per a pretty underwhelming season for the team last year.
there really is no evidence of this. It is 100% based on hope. Hopefully an *average* freshman class are major contributors. hopefully there is a big improvement in the game of our returning players. Hopefully Dunleavy's failed system will start working.

I hope you are right.
Of course there is. We do have better talent. Look at the recruiting rankings of the players now and 3 years ago. A lot more talent. it's also year 3 of a program where improvement is expected.
What there is no evidence of is that we will revert to 16-17, as claimed. That is purely wishful thinking .
Profoundwizard
Swell

DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:59 pm
DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am The team will be better this year than last year; and next year will be better than this year. How much better in each case, I don't know.
Based on what?
Based on 3 years in a system and better overall talent and more depth. Frazier was obviously a NBA talent, but it didn't translate to the team, as per a pretty underwhelming season for the team last year.
there really is no evidence of this. It is 100% based on hope. Hopefully an *average* freshman class are major contributors. hopefully there is a big improvement in the game of our returning players. Hopefully Dunleavy's failed system will start working.

I hope you are right.
Of course there is. We do have better talent. Look at the recruiting rankings of the players now and 3 years ago. A lot more talent. it's also year 3 of a program where improvement is expected.
What there is no evidence of is that we will revert to 16-17, as claimed. That is purely wishful thinking .
Recruiting class from 2015 was ranked better by the site I just checked(247). Kain Harris and Frazier were ranked 178 and 182 neither were any good as Freshman.
Moses Wood is ranked 279, Crabtree 319 and Zhang 283. What rankings are you looking at?

You might be expecting improvement in year 3 but we’ve all been watching Tulane long enough to know that it doesn’t always happen.

I don’t expect 16-17 type results but I don’t see us being much better than last year.
netshorty
Surge

DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:59 pm
Based on what?

I hope you are right.

I don't know how many you can convince on this site that we have more talent (much less "a lot more talent") next year with 3 Freshman replacing our 2 biggest contributing, experienced upperclassmen. I'll give you the more years in the system the better you would expect improvement (though it will be the first for the freshmen). But what' hasn't been proven in MD's first two years is that he has a system (offensive and defensive) that is effective. He had two guys that signed NBA contracts this year (credit him for their growth if you wish) but that did not translate at all on the court. So I applaud your optimism, but I'll stand by my original comment that MD will have to coach his a$$ off to avoid a similar season. Maybe he can do that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mod's please merge my MD's pre-season presser into this thread...thanks
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
netshorty
Surge

he's an NBA guy. says so himself. not a college guy. His NBA pedigree is not translating one iota here.
GreenLantern
Riptide

When we get a little closer to November, I (or someone) will post a thread so we may make our annual 2018-2019 conference basketball predictions. In the meantime for your viewing pleasure is one of the earliest pre-season predictions from bustingbrackets.com. To the surprise of few, we aren't predicted to win the conference. Here's the list in inverse order (for any LSUgh or ULaLa readers, that means that the favored choices are on the bottom of the list):

12. South Florida Bulls – Previous rank (12)
11. Tulane Green Wave – Previous rank (11)
10. East Carolina Pirates – Previous rank (10)
9. Tulsa Hurricanes – Previous rank (9)
8. Temple Owls – Previous rank (8)
7. SMU Mustangs – Previous rank (7)
6. Wichita State Shockers – Previous rank (5)
5. Cincinnati Bearcats – Previous rank (4)
4. UConn Huskies – Previous rank (6)
3. Houston Cougars – Previous rank (3)
2. Memphis Tigers – Previous rank (2)
1. UCF Golden Knights – Previous rank (1)
Ruski
Swell

Memphis at 2?!? Temple at 8?! No way!
oliveandblue
Surge

Dunleavy is saying that conditioning is getting better on this team. There was a clear improvement between Year 1 and Year 2 - but now it gets harder as 10th place isn't good enough. He needs to start taking more games from the middling AAC teams.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern
Riptide

sorry...should have placed my original post into the 2018-2019 Pre-Season Basketball Thread. Should be merged.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Here's another basketball preseason poll. This one is from ESPN and it has us 10th:
  1. UCF
  2. Houston
  3. Cincinnati
  4. UConn
  5. Temple
  6. Wichita State
  7. SMU
  8. Memphis
  9. Tulsa
  10. Tulane
  11. ECU
  12. USF
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... r-rankings
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AAC Media Day:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... a-day.aspx

Tulane picked to finish 10th.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 pm Here's another basketball preseason poll. This one is from ESPN and it has us 10th:
  1. UCF
  2. Houston
  3. Cincinnati
  4. UConn
  5. Temple
  6. Wichita State
  7. SMU
  8. Memphis
  9. Tulsa
  10. Tulane
  11. ECU
  12. USF
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... r-rankings
Amazing job AD Danny White has done in his short time at UCF. He’s made great hires that are paying dividends. All 3 men’s sports are now competing for championships. He’ll probably get an opportunity to move up to a P5 school if it fits his personal goals. To think they went winless in 2015 in FB before he arrived. They’ve now won 19 straight games. Looks like basketball is on the right track if they are picked 1st and baseball has done excellent as well. His fundraising skills are also noted. The Knights also recently broke ground of the Roth Athletics Center, which will house the UCF administration and will include an expansion for football operations. Congrats to New Orleanian Danny White.
http://ucfknights.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =211766198
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Here's yet another basketball poll, this one from hoopshd.com. These guys pick Tulane at #7 ahead of Wichita St who has received seven straight NCAA bids:
http://hoopshd.com/2018/10/21/conferenc ... merican-5/
7. Tulane – Picking the Green Wave this high may surprise some, but Mike Dunleavy is finally starting to make some noise in New Orleans. The team lost both Melvin Frazier and Cameron Reynolds to the pro ranks but does have three other starters and a lot of depth returning. Tulane is still a few years away from contending for a tourney bid, but things are definitely looking up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No teams in the preseason top 25. Remember when we had people carrying on about how this was going to be 5-6 bid league every year. It's not and yet we can't even climb to the middle of it much less win it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another screw up by the athletic department. They didn't get the season tickets printed on time so they'll have to be picked up before the Loyola game. This happened before and it was completely disorganized. causing people to miss the beginning of the game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 am Another screw up by the athletic department. They didn't get the season tickets printed on time so they'll have to be picked up before the Loyola game. This happened before and it was completely disorganized. causing people to miss the beginning of the game.
I am not surprised...my Football Season Tickets still have not arrived !!!!!!
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 am Another screw up by the athletic department. They didn't get the season tickets printed on time so they'll have to be picked up before the Loyola game. This happened before and it was completely disorganized. causing people to miss the beginning of the game.
Gee. You think they’d be able to print a couple of 100. This isn’t Kentucky or something. Embarrassing.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

we ain't in Kansas, or L'Ville or NC State anymore...
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... play-trial
oliveandblue
Surge

netshorty wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm
he's an NBA guy. says so himself. not a college guy. His NBA pedigree is not translating one iota here.
If he pushes to midtable in the AAC, he will have done wonders considering where we were. Year 2 > Year 1, but I think the body of work this season is where we really see if he can coach.
netshorty
Surge

oliveandblue wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:44 pm
netshorty wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm
If he pushes to midtable in the AAC, he will have done wonders considering where we were. Year 2 > Year 1, but I think the body of work this season is where we really see if he can coach.

that's a BIG IF. and 3 years to get us to the midtable... that's pretty low expectations. let's not forget that Conroy last year > MD Year 1 so you're starting your comparison from a really low point. but you're right, this year will be telling. I hope everyone, including TD, will realize this isn't going to work if we're in the bottom half of the league again.