2018-2019 Pre-Season Basketball Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

is it too early to start a 2019-2020 preseason basketball thread with some predictions on our new coach? Dunleavy will need to coach his a$$ off to not repeat the results from his first season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

net- I share your take on it but unless MD just decides to step down after the season to avoid the inevitable after year 4 he'll be back next year. Hope I'm wrong.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm net- I share your take on it but unless MD just decides to step down after the season to avoid the inevitable after year 4 he'll be back next year. Hope I'm wrong.
agreed. unfortunately. and I've shared my thoughts previously that we've dug ourselves a bigger hole in filling this position once we finally give up in him as we'll now have the "not even an NBA coach of the year can turn the program around" hanging over us. But he has been flat out terrible.
Profoundwizard
Swell

netshorty wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm net- I share your take on it but unless MD just decides to step down after the season to avoid the inevitable after year 4 he'll be back next year. Hope I'm wrong.
agreed. unfortunately. and I've shared my thoughts previously that we've dug ourselves a bigger hole in filling this position once we finally give up in him as we'll now have the "not even an NBA coach of the year can turn the program around" hanging over us. But he has been flat out terrible.
I bet Fritz and Dunleavy are back regardless of how bad this year is. Hopefully we’ll at least get rid of Jewett
Jaxwave
Swell

Tulane: where old coaches are enticed come to get set up for retirement despite knowing the support will not be there to help you succeed.
I believe that is in the ad posted when coaching positions come open,
netshorty
Surge

Perfect storm...

Dunleavy stays on in a lesser role as Director of Player Development. Is able to retire in beautiful New Orleans and save a little face. Concentrate solely on making players NBA ready. Carlin Hartman, current assistant at Oklahoma, returns to his Alma mater as head coach and brings fellow Posse member Kim Lewis, current director of basketball operations at U Richmond, to take on same role at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually the perfect storm is a tornado wiping out Yulman and then bouncing over and wiping out Devlin. Then proper facilities can be built for the two major sports.
galvezwave
Swell

netshorty wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:02 am Perfect storm...

Dunleavy stays on in a lesser role as Director of Player Development. Is able to retire in beautiful New Orleans and save a little face. Concentrate solely on making players NBA ready. Carlin Hartman, current assistant at Oklahoma, returns to his Alma mater as head coach and brings fellow Posse member Kim Lewis, current director of basketball operations at U Richmond, to take on same role at Tulane.
My question would be . Can Tulane recruit the same players Perry was allowed to recruit under Eamon Kelly? If the answer is “No”, then keep Dunleavey. Because nobody can save it. I can promise Hartman won’t come in here with that “selling academics as a recruiting tool” bull****.
netshorty
Surge

galvezwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 am

My question would be . Can Tulane recruit the same players Perry was allowed to recruit under Eamon Kelly? If the answer is “No”, then keep Dunleavey. Because nobody can save it. I can promise Hartman won’t come in here with that “selling academics as a recruiting tool” bull****.
so you're saying our problem is that Dunleavy is handcuffed because his recruits must meet higher academic standards then our peers? Is this in fact true today?
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 am Actually the perfect storm is a tornado wiping out Yulman and then bouncing over and wiping out Devlin. Then proper facilities can be built for the two major sports.
sounds like a bigger long shot than my scenario... but maybe not. :D
galvezwave
Swell

netshorty wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 pm
galvezwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 am

so you're saying our problem is that Dunleavy is handcuffed because his recruits must meet higher academic standards then our peers? Is this in fact true today?
I don’t know. I’m asking. All I know is perry was the last coach to sign a parade all American. For whatever reason, they’re not interested in MD.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We can get athletes at the NCAA minimum’s and have instituted several athlete favorable majors. That started with the CJ error. We have been bringing in JC’s as proof of that. When Perry took over the here we’re very few black HC’s at major schools. The gym was bigger then. Others game day facilities have left ours in the dust.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 pm We can get athletes at the NCAA minimum’s and have instituted several athlete favorable majors. That started with the CJ error. We have been bringing in JC’s as proof of that. When Perry took over the here we’re very few black HC’s at major schools. The gym was bigger then. Others game day facilities have left ours in the dust.
Combo of Devlin and SKC along with Hertz center isn't good enough? IMO IF you could get Fogelman rocking like early 90s it would be a selling tool rather than a liability. I'd think taking a visit and seeing a win in front of a rowdy crowd would be enticing. But I won't pretend to know what's most important for a recruit.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Problem is we can't get that level of recruit to want to come play in it. I know we all loved it back then but it's far from the only gym with seats right on the court. It's just not a selling point as evidenced by the log turn down in the program even with a high profile coach.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm Problem is we can't get that level of recruit to want to come play in it. I know we all loved it back then but it's far from the only gym with seats right on the court. It's just not a selling point as evidenced by the log turn down in the program even with a high profile coach.
I don’t agree. If a hungry coach gave kids a clear path to the NBA ., they would play in a cave. The bigger issue with recruiting in basketball is bad coaching hires along with the decline of our league profile from the metro /original cusa to what we’re in now. It’s not close really. Fogelman may have had 1,000 more seats then but it was a much bigger dump back then. I remember standing by the broken glass windows to feel the cold air outside to cool off .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm Problem is we can't get that level of recruit to want to come play in it. I know we all loved it back then but it's far from the only gym with seats right on the court. It's just not a selling point as evidenced by the log turn down in the program even with a high profile coach.
I don’t agree. If a hungry coach gave kids a clear path to the NBA ., they would play in a cave. The bigger issue with recruiting in basketball is bad coaching hires along with the decline of our league profile from the metro /original cusa to what we’re in now. It’s not close really. Fogelman may have had 1,000 more seats then but it was a much bigger dump back then. I remember standing by the broken glass windows to feel the cold air outside to cool off .
Your way is the way that's led us here. It was no dump under Perry. It was completely redone before we started back up. Throw in that no hungry coach is taking this job when he see's the joke of a facility it is now. Again look at the long list of bad coaches. Tulane needs to show a commitment to the program with a new game day facility before we can expect good coaches and players to come here.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:21 pm
galvezwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm
Your way is the way that's led us here. It was no dump under Perry. It was completely redone before we started back up. Throw in that no hungry coach is taking this job when he see's the joke of a facility it is now. Again look at the long list of bad coaches. Tulane needs to show a commitment to the program with a new game day facility before we can expect good coaches and players to come here.
My way? Lol ok. And yes it was a dump. That’s crazy. Whatever though . Not arguing over why we’ve sucked for 30 years . There are millions of reasons.
DrBox
Riptide

The team will be better this year than last year; and next year will be better than this year. How much better in each case, I don't know.
And they will be a lot better than they were in 16-17.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am The team will be better this year than last year; and next year will be better than this year. How much better in each case, I don't know.
Based on what?
greenie78
Riptide

Melvin Frazier is obviously a big loss. Cam Reynolds was meh last year. Major disappointment. Team won't really miss him that much. We'll see how everyone else coming back and the new recruits do this season.
DrBox
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 am
DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am The team will be better this year than last year; and next year will be better than this year. How much better in each case, I don't know.
Based on what?
Based on 3 years in a system and better overall talent and more depth. Frazier was obviously a NBA talent, but it didn't translate to the team, as per a pretty underwhelming season for the team last year.
netshorty
Surge

DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 am
Based on what?
Based on 3 years in a system and better overall talent and more depth. Frazier was obviously a NBA talent, but it didn't translate to the team, as per a pretty underwhelming season for the team last year.
there really is no evidence of this. It is 100% based on hope. Hopefully an *average* freshman class are major contributors. hopefully there is a big improvement in the game of our returning players. Hopefully Dunleavy's failed system will start working.

I hope you are right.
Profoundwizard
Swell

netshorty wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:32 am
DrBox wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 am
Based on what?
there really is no evidence of this. It is 100% based on hope. Hopefully an *average* freshman class are major contributors. hopefully there is a big improvement in the game of our returning players. Hopefully Dunleavy's failed system will start working.

I hope you are right.
Right that’s all a bunch of wishful thinking.
When you lose your two best players, you have to recruit better guys than we got for me to definitively say we have better overall talent.
Things don’t just get better because it’s the 3rd year in a system, certainly not if the system isn’t any good and there’s no evidence that it’s good.
torbida
Surge

Why doesn't basketball play a few games at the Smoothie King Center?