New Athletic Director

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Tulane will never do what is necessary to build a successful atkhletic program.
You can talk til your blue in the face but thats the reality and ought now to be quite apparent to all us long suffering fans. We are stuck with all the current head coaches and AD. And please, stop with the talk about getting into a difference conference. I would not be surprised it they kicked us out of the American.


Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:51 pm

At this point in time academics are no longer the issue. Tulane has accepted athletes at the NCAA minimums since CJ took over. They have instituted at least 4 athlete friendly majors. They let athletes take courses at the school of continuing education The problems are the losing for almost 70 years, the inadequate facilities and the complete lack of knowledge of how far off they are financially for making up for all of that. .
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18077
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 am

winwave wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:51 pm
At this point in time academics are no longer the issue. Tulane has accepted athletes at the NCAA minimums since CJ took over. They have instituted at least 4 athlete friendly majors. They let athletes take courses at the school of continuing education The problems are the losing for almost 70 years, the inadequate facilities and the complete lack of knowledge of how far off they are financially for making up for all of that. .
Good points.
Lack of success is definitely a big reason. Since 1980 (38 years) Tulane has only finished the season with a winning record 5 total times. Imagine that. Fans like myself and other diehards have only seen five winning seasons in the last 38 years. If you had bet against Tulane every week for that period you could probably out fund the current FB budget with your winnings. This is why I always pick us to have a losing season in the prediction poll. Until I’m wrong I will continue to pick it that way. History continues to repeat itself until it doesn’t.

Doing the research I found this 2016 article:
“Someone Had To End Up Last: Why Tulane Is The Worst Head Coaching Job In The AAC”
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/5/ ... shaun-king
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 am

Part of the issue is the uncertainty and disagreement on what would constitute athletics success (is it winning 8 games regularly? Is it moving to a power conference?) and whether that definition of success would be achievable as there is an endless sea of G5 teams that have strung together seasons over multiple years that have not come close to achieving a P5 invite - Boise State, UCF, SDSU, USF, Houston, Temple, Cincinnati, Navy, etc., while, simultaneously, P5 conferences appear to prefer to take average and below P5s from peer conferences over those programs. As a result, it's unclear if moving to P5 conference would truly be achievable, as, given that the Big East was a power conference at the time of dissolution, the only G5s in recent memory that moved from G5 to P5 was Utah (to partner with Colorado to the PAC) and TCU (to replace Texas A&M) in 2011, and, while those programs did move 7 years ago, there wasn't much movement from G5 to power conference for quite some time before then.
User avatar
IM42lane
Swell
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:36 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA 70817-6045
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 am

Jaxwave wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 am
I quit blaming personnel in the athletic program awhile back. The administration at Tulane is to blame. Until they commit to make a serious effort to support the programs, quit blaming ADs and coaches. It is just not possible to perform the miracle of winning consistently at a school that doesn’t take athletics seriously.

To be honest and fair, I’m not sure I don’t agree with the administration that that it would be wise to gamble on a return on their investment by putting serious money into the programs. Their goal is to do just enough to keep conference affiliation, not to excel. That way they will not lose money.
SF, I do not blame you for feeling this way. Right now, it looks like Tulane is headed for three straight losing seasons in football, hoops, and baseball. Fritz is on the verge of falling way short of those outlandish bowl game predictions we heard from everywhere. Why would you extend the contract of any coach who has yet to put a winning year together? I really do not see anything better for hoops or baseball. It feels like Teevens and Toledo around here again. Who makes these dumb decisions?
With Regards to All, (& Keep it ROLLIN' . . .),

"Pete" M.

A.S. Madere

Tulane College A&S/ Navy ROTC 1974
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am

Small private school, modest endowment, few wealthy boosters. Do the math.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2926
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 am

MicMan wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am
Small private school, modest endowment, few wealthy boosters. Do the math.
It wouldn’t matter. We squandered $100 million on a mini stadium while leaving a billion dollar low rent stadium. But tailgating is great! :mrgreen:
sader24
Tsunami
Posts: 5498
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am

The problem isn’t the money and it’s also not the academics. Those are problems but not the Problem. The problem is nobody at Tulane knows how to win and understands what it takes to win. Tommy Bowden understood it and Rick Jones understood it. Nobody else has. Instead of hiring ADs from Big Time Football schools that know how to get it done or SEC schools that understand what it takes to win big in football we hire people from Washington st and Tulsa and Northern Iowa. Our approach is absurd and nonsensical.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:01 pm

sader24 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am
The problem isn’t the money and it’s also not the academics. Those are problems but not the Problem. The problem is nobody at Tulane knows how to win and understands what it takes to win. Tommy Bowden understood it and Rick Jones understood it. Nobody else has. Instead of hiring ADs from Big Time Football schools that know how to get it done or SEC schools that understand what it takes to win big in football we hire people from Washington st and Tulsa and Northern Iowa. Our approach is absurd and nonsensical.
We hired an FCS athletic director who hired an FCS Football Coach who brought his FCS coaching staff with him to Tulane. Look at the resumes of these guys and you don't see P6 schools on there. They don't know how to recruit and compete at the level that Tulane needs.
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 pm

I'll just leave this here.
Bye for now!
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... 177293.php
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 am
Part of the issue is the uncertainty and disagreement on what would constitute athletics success (is it winning 8 games regularly? Is it moving to a power conference?) and whether that definition of success would be achievable as there is an endless sea of G5 teams that have strung together seasons over multiple years that have not come close to achieving a P5 invite - Boise State, UCF, SDSU, USF, Houston, Temple, Cincinnati, Navy, etc., while, simultaneously, P5 conferences appear to prefer to take average and below P5s from peer conferences over those programs. As a result, it's unclear if moving to P5 conference would truly be achievable, as, given that the Big East was a power conference at the time of dissolution, the only G5s in recent memory that moved from G5 to P5 was Utah (to partner with Colorado to the PAC) and TCU (to replace Texas A&M) in 2011, and, while those programs did move 7 years ago, there wasn't much movement from G5 to power conference for quite some time before then.
People can forget expansion in the P5's. The chances of that ended when the NCAA allowed the Big 12 to have a championship game with only 10 teams. What is likely to happen is that the P5's officially break off and form their own Division.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3163
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

We need to stop flying that damn P6 flag until we play like we even deserve to be part of it, if there really is anything to be a part of.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:48 pm

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm
We need to stop flying that damn P6 flag until we play like we even deserve to be part of it, if there really is anything to be a part of.
Let Central Florida fly it.
We should worry about beating CUSA level teams first
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8216
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 pm

winwave wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 am
Part of the issue is the uncertainty and disagreement on what would constitute athletics success (is it winning 8 games regularly? Is it moving to a power conference?) and whether that definition of success would be achievable as there is an endless sea of G5 teams that have strung together seasons over multiple years that have not come close to achieving a P5 invite - Boise State, UCF, SDSU, USF, Houston, Temple, Cincinnati, Navy, etc., while, simultaneously, P5 conferences appear to prefer to take average and below P5s from peer conferences over those programs. As a result, it's unclear if moving to P5 conference would truly be achievable, as, given that the Big East was a power conference at the time of dissolution, the only G5s in recent memory that moved from G5 to P5 was Utah (to partner with Colorado to the PAC) and TCU (to replace Texas A&M) in 2011, and, while those programs did move 7 years ago, there wasn't much movement from G5 to power conference for quite some time before then.
People can forget expansion in the P5's. The chances of that ended when the NCAA allowed the Big 12 to have a championship game with only 10 teams. What is likely to happen is that the P5's officially break off and form their own Division.
I agree with your Big 12 reasoning..the only reason for them to expand will be for TV markets with a more lucrative TV contract...at present, the networks have zero reason to give them more money...Houston is controlled by the SEC and A&M...DFW is a mix bag...big A&M base with OU 2nd and UT 3rd....after that you have the KC football TV market controlled by Mizzou.....OU & OSU gives the OKC and Tulsa markets......UH could come into play for some inroads into Houston...Tulane would give inroads into the SEC....forget about Memphis, the University Prez's will not allow their academic ranking into their hollowed inner circle, even tho I think the Memphis market is more lucrative than NOLA......The Big 12 has an opportunity to get Orlando and Tampa, but they are geographically undesirable unless you have east and west divisions, which means you need 14 teams to make it viable
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6521
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm

I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 am

sader24 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am
The problem isn’t the money and it’s also not the academics. Those are problems but not the Problem. The problem is nobody at Tulane knows how to win and understands what it takes to win.
Agree. Money, facilities, academics, etc. all have an affect for sure and are likely barriers to what we all dream would happen,.. playing for conference championships and making a case for P5 inclusion.
But the fundamental problems we are seeing right now stem from poor coaching. Sure their rosters aren't as talented as they'd like them to be but good coaching can hide their weaknesses and, game plan to expose the opponent's weakness. They get more out of their talent, and exceed expectations by winning a high percentage of the "winnable games", steal a game or two and don't give away games that you should win. That isn't happening.

i. will defend Dannen to a degree. I liked his hires and thought each checked a box. WF was experienced and had a reputation for turning around programs. MD was an out of the box hire that immediately added some national exposure and seemingly could solve (with his name and reputation) some of the challenges of recruiting a talented roster. TJ followed the mold many of us feel is needed, hiring an assistant from a successful P5 school. Sure AC fit that mold too and many felt he was a better candidate. Regardless, TJ's resume was as many thought would be successful at Tulane.

The only coach that I've not given up on 100% is WF. No idea why, likely just wishful thinking. But I am highly critical of what he's doing and where we are.

Dannen has some really hard decisions ahead of him. He has to admit to mistakes and find better replacements. if he does nothing he will be as big a failure as his predecessor and we'll find out how much Fitts and the administration accept losing.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6521
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:20 pm

netshorty wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 am
sader24 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am
The problem isn’t the money and it’s also not the academics. Those are problems but not the Problem. The problem is nobody at Tulane knows how to win and understands what it takes to win.
Agree. Money, facilities, academics, etc. all have an affect for sure and are likely barriers to what we all dream would happen,.. playing for conference championships and making a case for P5 inclusion.
But the fundamental problems we are seeing right now stem from poor coaching. Sure their rosters aren't as talented as they'd like them to be but good coaching can hide their weaknesses and, game plan to expose the opponent's weakness. They get more out of their talent, and exceed expectations by winning a high percentage of the "winnable games", steal a game or two and don't give away games that you should win. That isn't happening.

i. will defend Dannen to a degree. I liked his hires and thought each checked a box. WF was experienced and had a reputation for turning around programs. MD was an out of the box hire that immediately added some national exposure and seemingly could solve (with his name and reputation) some of the challenges of recruiting a talented roster. TJ followed the mold many of us feel is needed, hiring an assistant from a successful P5 school. Sure AC fit that mold too and many felt he was a better candidate. Regardless, TJ's resume was as many thought would be successful at Tulane.

The only coach that I've not given up on 100% is WF. No idea why, likely just wishful thinking. But I am highly critical of what he's doing and where we are.

Dannen has some really hard decisions ahead of him. He has to admit to mistakes and find better replacements. if he does nothing he will be as big a failure as his predecessor and we'll find out how much Fitts and the administration accept losing.
Shorty, we don't agree often, but you've stated exactly how I feel. My question is: Does Dannen have the BUDGET to fire coaches? And if he does, will he have the money it would take to hire someone better?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm
I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm
I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
No. The only major question in regard to the 16 team scenario would be whether the Big 12 merges with, or steals teams from, the PAC12 or ACC.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:27 pm

netshorty wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 am

i. will defend Dannen to a degree. I liked his hires and thought each checked a box. WF was experienced and had a reputation for turning around programs. MD was an out of the box hire that immediately added some national exposure and seemingly could solve (with his name and reputation) some of the challenges of recruiting a talented roster. TJ followed the mold many of us feel is needed, hiring an assistant from a successful P5 school. Sure AC fit that mold too and many felt he was a better candidate. Regardless, TJ's resume was as many thought would be successful at Tulane.

The only coach that I've not given up on 100% is WF. No idea why, likely just wishful thinking. But I am highly critical of what he's doing and where we are.

Dannen has some really hard decisions ahead of him. He has to admit to mistakes and find better replacements. if he does nothing he will be as big a failure as his predecessor and we'll find out how much Fitts and the administration accept losing.
An AD shouldn’t get credit for hiring a guy with a decent résumé, anyone can do that. I don’t care what Travis Jewett’s résumé said, I listen to him talk for 15 minutes and it’s clear he is not Head Coach material. He’s so in over his head it’s laughable.

Will Dannen admit his mistakes is a good question. He just gave Fritz an extension so he’s not going anywhere and for some reason I feel like Dunleavy is getting a 4th year no matter what and I expect the basketball team to be pretty bad this year.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm
I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
No. The only major question in regard to the 16 team scenario would be whether the Big 12 merges with, or steals teams from, the PAC12 or ACC.
Both the PAC 12 and the ACC continue to get weaker, so I here what your saying. But if I was OU and UT, the two teams that will decide what happens to the Big XII, I would want large TV markets, with as little travel as possible. And why add a lot of tough competition? OU and UT could ensure that they are always at the top when it comes to allocating revenues based on performance, and one of the two will usually have a good shot at getting into the national playoff. If the Big XII expands, don't be surprised if Colorado and Nebraska come back into the Big XII. And if Arkansas and Mizzou are smart, they would try to do the same thing. If you cherry pick the PAC 12 or ACC, you invite a lot more competition, a lot more travel, and not that much more TV or gate revenue.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8216
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm
I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
No. The only major question in regard to the 16 team scenario would be whether the Big 12 merges with, or steals teams from, the PAC12 or ACC.
Both the PAC 12 and the ACC continue to get weaker, so I here what your saying. But if I was OU and UT, the two teams that will decide what happens to the Big XII, I would want large TV markets, with as little travel as possible. And why add a lot of tough competition? OU and UT could ensure that they are always at the top when it comes to allocating revenues based on performance, and one of the two will usually have a good shot at getting into the national playoff. If the Big XII expands, don't be surprised if Colorado and Nebraska come back into the Big XII. And if Arkansas and Mizzou are smart, they would try to do the same thing. If you cherry pick the PAC 12 or ACC, you invite a lot more competition, a lot more travel, and not that much more TV or gate revenue.
in my opinion, there ain't no way on God's green earth Arkansas, Mizzou., Nebraska or Colorado is coming back to the Big 12....that would economic suicide .....Arkansas, Mizzou and Nebraska all hate, or dislike very much, the University of Texas @ Austin and are happy as hell that UT is in what appears to be a 2nd rate P5 conference...they are all making more money and getting more exposure in their current conferences......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:27 pm


An AD shouldn’t get credit for hiring a guy with a decent résumé, anyone can do that.
agree you'd think that was the case but we have a nice long history of hiring guys without a very good resume. whether it's because we couldn't afford them or couldn't convince them or didn't have the intelligence to go find them, we've not been real successful in this regard.

but point taken. I didn't know TJ before he was hired and if he spoke in his job interviews the same as his tv/radio interviews, then I'm not sure how he was hired.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:26 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm
I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
No. The only major question in regard to the 16 team scenario would be whether the Big 12 merges with, or steals teams from, the PAC12 or ACC.
Both the PAC 12 and the ACC continue to get weaker, so I here what your saying. But if I was OU and UT, the two teams that will decide what happens to the Big XII, I would want large TV markets, with as little travel as possible. And why add a lot of tough competition? OU and UT could ensure that they are always at the top when it comes to allocating revenues based on performance, and one of the two will usually have a good shot at getting into the national playoff. If the Big XII expands, don't be surprised if Colorado and Nebraska come back into the Big XII. And if Arkansas and Mizzou are smart, they would try to do the same thing. If you cherry pick the PAC 12 or ACC, you invite a lot more competition, a lot more travel, and not that much more TV or gate revenue.
in my opinion, there ain't no way on God's green earth Arkansas, Mizzou., Nebraska or Colorado is coming back to the Big 12....that would economic suicide .....Arkansas, Mizzou and Nebraska all hate, or dislike very much, the University of Texas @ Austin and are happy as hell that UT is in what appears to be a 2nd rate P5 conference...they are all making more money and getting more exposure in their current conferences......
True, all those teams have big problems with UT, as did aTm. But those teams also are getting tired of getting their brains beat out. Nebraska and Colorado continue to lose in competitively weak conferences—in large part because of recruiting problems (ie no more access to high-end Texas recruits),. Granted they currently get more revenue, but it isn’t that much more than what the Big XII allocated last year (albeit only 10 teams). I still believe that greed will consume the P5 powerhouses, and revenue sharing will be driven by some combination of revenue generated and competitive success. If that happens everything will change, and the current P5 structure will blow up.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:18 am

Colorado is making a lot of $ in the PAC12 & they are recruiting California really well. Was out there a few weeks ago, they have 1st class facilities to boot. I can't see them going anywhere.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Post Reply