When do we make a change at QB ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think there are 4 legit scenarios for Justin McMillan & Tulane:

1) He take some reps in the Ohio St game to get his feet wet once the game is out of hand
2) We save him from getting rocked and let Banks take a beating with McM taking more of the reps in practice with an eye on him playing at Memphis
3) We suck it up and play with Banks hoping for the best until the Bye week. Essentially conceding 1-5
4) Fritz refuses to see the writing on the wall and just rides Banks the rest of the year/ McM is garbage in practice and can't run the offense

Obviously we have imperfect data ( like how far along is McM in picking up the offense ? ). With that being said any predictions on what WF will do ? Furthermore, what is your preferred scenario ?

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Banks will be served up against OSU. After that McM should start against Memphis. If McM isnt ready, then try Ledford. I can’t see how McM couldn’t be ready since we seem to only run about five plays with Banks at QB—surely McM can handle five plays. But based on what Fritz has done so far, it may take an injury to get Banks off the field. Not replacing him at half of the UAB game, when we still had a chance to win the game, was inexcusable. Fritz essentially forfeited the season (ie bowl game) by sticking with Banks and his 10.41 QB rating at half.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane could make a change at QB, but, honestly, what the chances that the other QBs are "better" (i.e. run threats, okay with the deep ball, etc.) given Fritz's reputation for evaluating talent?

It's true that Tulane is 1-2 and Fritz's seat should be super hot, but, at the same time, those two losses were at least close ones where Tulane had an opportunity to win in the final minutes. Would the other QBs be better? Everyone saw how the plays worked out in Bank's two TD passes against Wake Forest, and it seems unlikely that the other QBs on the roster would have been able to do what he did.
netshorty
Surge

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 am Tulane could make a change at QB, but, honestly, what the chances that the other QBs are "better" (i.e. run threats, okay with the deep ball, etc.) given Fritz's reputation for evaluating talent?

It's true that Tulane is 1-2 and Fritz's seat should be super hot, but, at the same time, those two losses were at least close ones where Tulane had an opportunity to win in the final minutes. Would the other QBs be better? Everyone saw how the plays worked out in Bank's two TD passes against Wake Forest, and it seems unlikely that the other QBs on the roster would have been able to do what he did.
While talent evaluation may be a concern, the bigger concern is what real difference would any QB bring to this inept offensive scheme behind this weak offensive line? Doesn't matter if Culliette, Bradwell, Brantley, Banks or whoever has taken the helm, the offensive play calling has been terrible for the most part. It was stated repeatedly (and I think even WF has said many times) that he tailors his scheme around his personnel. He failed to do that with GC. He has seemingly failed to that with Banks. In fact I think GC had more option pitch plays called then Banks. So the insertion of a new QB will only mean success if it means that WF changes his playbook too. Maybe that happens. Maybe this a change in QB opens up several pages of plays that have been buried since he's been here. But keep running the same old crap? Good luck.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

with this OL and OC it will not make one damn difference
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 am Tulane could make a change at QB, but, honestly, what the chances that the other QBs are "better" (i.e. run threats, okay with the deep ball, etc.) given Fritz's reputation for evaluating talent?

Can any of our QB's do worse? For all our OL problems, on many plays in the UAB game, Banks had plenty of time. He simply can't get through his progressions fast enough, and can't find open receivers. As some have suggested, he may already be too mentally gun shy at this point. He may be looking downfield, but mentally he seems to be panicking. During the UAB game, there were a number of times that he needlessly left the pocket, and ran into a sack. No doubt our play calling, and its dearth of plays designed to counter a strong rush, haven't helped him. But he's an inaccurate passer, and with his added weight is not as fleet a foot as he was last year. He'd have a better chance at the NFL if he added another 20lbs and started playing LB. With Banks, we have a LB playing QB.
MicMan
Swell

In the NFL, you can out-scheme other teams. Can't do that in college, you must have the talent. TU has nothing to lose in making a switch at QB.

(Unless MacMillan is the second coming of Christian Hackenberg...)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

WF hates turnovers even more than most coaches, just saying. Banks is a fifth year QB and his turnovers on Sat were unfortunate to say the least.

I agree with most, you start Banks against OSU, let us get pounded and bring in the backups for the last few series. You can still redshirt Ledford, but I would get both backups snaps. I still am trying to figure out why Banks has regressed so much from the end of last year. Yes the OL is below avergae but why would it be worse than last year? We lost a starting center but gained a solid replacement tackle. I really think Banks is pressing feeling the pressure of his last year and the end of the SMU game last year.
MicMan
Swell

The UAB game was far from the worst thing to happen in CFB Saturday. There are some big time programs in big time trouble.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:05 pm The UAB game was far from the worst thing to happen in CFB Saturday. There are some big time programs in big time trouble.
At least we won’t have to revive the “Oh no, we might lose Fritz” thread this winter.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:05 pm The UAB game was far from the worst thing to happen in CFB Saturday. There are some big time programs in big time trouble.
let's review the programs, which ones come to mind ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm
Almost the entire Big 10. Add the meltdown at UCLA , USC, Arizona, No. Carolina, maybe Texas, and the old standard Kansas.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:30 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm
Almost the entire Big 10. Add the meltdown at UCLA , USC, Arizona, No. Carolina, maybe Texas, and the old standard Kansas.
Kansas is now 2-1
UCLA was a train wreck under Mora..how Texas A&M blew that game last season is still a mystery...Chipper will have his hands full at that "directional" school
USC...over rated from the beginning, including last year...sanctions still an issue with quality depth...
No Carolina...one big issue...the coach and the state plays very average high school football. I think the stink of improper tutoring / testing scared recruits away
Arizona....needs to depend on Texas and California for their players. ..the Texas kids already know Coach Sumless...Sumless needs to look west
Texas....is not that good and Herman is under a very watchful alumni eye, they beat a very average USC team that did not deserve to be ranked..that said the Officials blew a few calls, even during the replay process becasue they did not know the rules, which caused USC points and game field position to Texas...the TCU game this week on the 40 acres should be interesting
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Banks’ regression is truly befuddling. The line and receiver core has to be on par if not slightly better then the end of last year when banks was operating the offense at a functional level. Btw if we want to see proof of concept those last few games of the season would be that.

This offense literally couldn’t be any worse when playing FBS opponents. As another poster wrote banks would roll out of the pocket and then just run into a slow developing sack instead of throwing it away. Except for those times of course where he would fumble the ball. He can’t get through his progressions, he can’t throw accurately, he is turn over prone, he seems slower then last year and we are running the same 5 plays on loop. McM couldn’t be worse
galvezwave
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm Banks’ regression is truly befuddling. The line and receiver core has to be on par if not slightly better then the end of last year when banks was operating the offense at a functional level. Btw if we want to see proof of concept those last few games of the season would be that.

This offense literally couldn’t be any worse when playing FBS opponents. As another poster wrote banks would roll out of the pocket and then just run into a slow developing sack instead of throwing it away. Except for those times of course where he would fumble the ball. He can’t get through his progressions, he can’t throw accurately, he is turn over prone, he seems slower then last year and we are running the same 5 plays on loop. McM couldn’t be worse

Yeah , I honestly think the OL, while not stellar by any stretch , is doing an adequate job in pass protection. They form a pocket and banks has 4 seconds to throw it away, step up to avoid the rush for extra time , or tuck the ball for positive yardage. He doesn’t do any of it. The 2 good balls he threw Saturday was from stepping up. Back to back plays with the second a very nice TD pass. Then reverts right back for the rest of the game. Not to mention we ran 2 option plays both for big gains. He wouldn’t do anything that worked . UAB has a bad defense. I just don’t get it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tonight. I believe Mc will start next week as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great column by Jeff Duncan
Willie Fitz decision on changing QB’s
McMillan could transfer next season and play immediately at an SEC school. LSU blocked him from doing that this year.
https://www.nola.com/tulane/2018/11/jus ... eason.html
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He’s going to need to throw the ball a whole lot better for a SEC team to want him. Not anything to be concerned about at this point.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

YAWN
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am Great column by Jeff Duncan
McMillan could transfer next season and play immediately at an SEC school. LSU blocked him from doing that this year.
Wrong, Tim.
McMillan’s transfer options were limited. LSU blocked him from transferring to another SEC school or any opponent on the Tigers schedule for the next two seasons.
I guess he could transfer to another P5 school, but if there's not a ready made starting spot for him, he'd be foolish to do so.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:52 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am Great column by Jeff Duncan
Wrong, Tim.
McMillan’s transfer options were limited. LSU blocked him from transferring to another SEC school or any opponent on the Tigers schedule for the next two seasons.
I guess he could transfer to another P5 school, but if there's not a ready made starting spot for him, he'd be foolish to do so.
He already received his LSU degree. Blocking him for 2 years seems unreasonable. He came to us and not a school on their schedule or an SEC school. So he lived up to his deal with LSU. He can now leave us for anyone.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Two years was not unreasonable, there was a very specific reason. They didn't want to have him play against them and they knew he had two seasons left. That's why he can't go to an SEC school or anyone on their schedule during 2018 or 2019. He can move if he wants, but those restrictions will still be in place.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson