Ohio St. Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:I would ordinarily hate this, but I actually love it because it is three seasons away and we are in the first year of a new regime.

Dannen understands that you need to have goals to shoot for. You need to have some target to build towards and aspire to.

So he and Fritz can say, "Ok, this is currently the level we are at -- going 3-9. In three years, I have us playing Ohio State. I expect us to build a program where in that game we can legitimately measure our progress. Do we belong on the field in that game or not? Let's make sure we do."

I think it fits with his philosophy of having high expectations. We just hired a former NBA head coach of the year who had taken SEVEN NBA teams to the playoffs. To coach TULANE basketball. This guy is not competing to be an also-ran. He is trying to bring "big time" culture to the school and the athletic department. Everything he does is to project and aspire to that image. This is about "raising the bar."

Also, there are maybe 5 Football Programs in the country that can stroke a paycheck for a road game like Ohio State. I mean it's not like an 0-1 with South Carolina where we would likely also lose and get paid probably 60% of what OSU can offer us. I would bet this payout is substantial.
Thankfully, Dannen and Fritz are not looking at 2016 and thinking 3-9. Their public comments suggest as much, but it should be known their expectations are way higher. And to take that a step further, they aren't looking at the '18 game vs OSU as a program "measuring stick" as much as they are looking for a Goliath to knock off.

We no longer have people who are afraid of success or a program like OSU. Willie Fritz inherited an FCS program and in his first 3 weeks with that program he lost to NCST and GT by a combined 5 points. Fritz is not afraid of OSU, nor will the program be by 2018.

Yeah I'm sure we are going to get a nice check for the road game. That being said, this is no longer Rick Dickson's program and rent-a-losses are no longer part of the revenue generating plan. The payout is not a major consideration, it's a nice bonus.

Bottom line is that even the most optimistic fans are missing the bigger picture. By hoping that we can be a "measuring stick" or get a "substantial payout" you are missing the point. We're hiring NBA coach of the year caliber coaches for basketball and have equally high ambitions for football.
Let me suggest the following: It is more likely that Willie Fritz wins 19-20 games over the next 2 seasons and is hired away by a major program (thus giving us a problem in early '18 vs OSU) than it is likely that Tulane wins 3 games in '16.

Raise your expectations.

Jaxwave
Swell

JJ, I respect you man but 19-20 wins over next two years is nowhere near as likely as only 3 wins next year. Realistically with the state of the offense 6 wins is a nice goal for next year but not an expectation.
DrBox
Riptide

I realize they were probably following Dickson's orders to numb CJ's fourth year schedule, but it still keeps me a bit queasy that we're paying off MSU to drop and taking payment from OSU.
Last edited by DrBox on Fri May 27, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:JJ, I respect you man but 19-20 wins over next two years is nowhere near as likely as only 3 wins next year. Realistically with the state of the offense 6 wins is a nice goal for next year but not an expectation.
I agree with this. I would comfortably bet that we won't win 20 games over the next two seasons and not feel bad about it in the slightest.

The below article from 2014 talks about how strong Georgia Southern's offensive line was when Fritz arrived in 2014. See excerpts below:

But those inside the program had an inkling, particularly after spring practices finished. Fritz recalled being impressed with the talent level already in the program — and that, of the six offensive linemen he'd rotate in the lineup, five would be seniors.

"When we got (to Georgia Southern) in the spring, we saw the experience we had on the offensive line, and that's where it all starts," said Ruse, who came with Fritz from Sam Houston State. "Four of those five starters had played a lot of games here at Georgia Southern. Though the scheme has changed, there's no substitution for the experience they brought to the table. We knew we'd have good team speed.

"They were more of what people refer to as an under-center triple-option team. We're more of a shotgun, pistol-type option team. The biggest difference wasn't for the quarterbacks, running backs or receivers — it was for the offensive line. We're more of a zone blocking team with our offensive line. They were more of a fire-off-the-line kind of offensive line. Those guys had the biggest adjustment, that's been the real secret for us. Well, it's not a secret — we've got a really good offensive line.

We all know what Tulane doesn't have.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /18102361/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So we play OU in '17 and OSU in '18. I think the old regime would consider those games successful if we don't give up 100 points in the two combined. Troy and Willie Fritz probably think more along the lines of "let's see if we can't swallow a whale."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:I would ordinarily hate this, but I actually love it because it is three seasons away and we are in the first year of a new regime.

Dannen understands that you need to have goals to shoot for. You need to have some target to build towards and aspire to.

So he and Fritz can say, "Ok, this is currently the level we are at -- going 3-9. In three years, I have us playing Ohio State. I expect us to build a program where in that game we can legitimately measure our progress. Do we belong on the field in that game or not? Let's make sure we do."

I think it fits with his philosophy of having high expectations. We just hired a former NBA head coach of the year who had taken SEVEN NBA teams to the playoffs. To coach TULANE basketball. This guy is not competing to be an also-ran. He is trying to bring "big time" culture to the school and the athletic department. Everything he does is to project and aspire to that image. This is about "raising the bar."

Also, there are maybe 5 Football Programs in the country that can stroke a paycheck for a road game like Ohio State. I mean it's not like an 0-1 with South Carolina where we would likely also lose and get paid probably 60% of what OSU can offer us. I would bet this payout is substantial.
Thankfully, Dannen and Fritz are not looking at 2016 and thinking 3-9. Their public comments suggest as much, but it should be known their expectations are way higher. And to take that a step further, they aren't looking at the '18 game vs OSU as a program "measuring stick" as much as they are looking for a Goliath to knock off.

We no longer have people who are afraid of success or a program like OSU. Willie Fritz inherited an FCS program and in his first 3 weeks with that program he lost to NCST and GT by a combined 5 points. Fritz is not afraid of OSU, nor will the program be by 2018.

Yeah I'm sure we are going to get a nice check for the road game. That being said, this is no longer Rick Dickson's program and rent-a-losses are no longer part of the revenue generating plan. The payout is not a major consideration, it's a nice bonus.

Bottom line is that even the most optimistic fans are missing the bigger picture. By hoping that we can be a "measuring stick" or get a "substantial payout" you are missing the point. We're hiring NBA coach of the year caliber coaches for basketball and have equally high ambitions for football.
Let me suggest the following: It is more likely that Willie Fritz wins 19-20 games over the next 2 seasons and is hired away by a major program (thus giving us a problem in early '18 vs OSU) than it is likely that Tulane wins 3 games in '16.

Raise your expectations.
Did you just not read the first half of my post, or... what? We went 3-9 last year. That is what I meant by "where we are now."
OUG
Riptide

DrBox wrote:I realize they were probably following Dickson's orders to numb CJ's fourth year schedule, but it still keeps me a bit queasy that we're paying off MSU to drop and taking payment from OSU.
It's highly possible that we are talking about completely different levels of payout here. Like 300k vs 1.5m. Also, the games are in different seasons so I'm not sure the decisions are related. We should never have scheduled UMass. That was the problem.
JerseyWave
Riptide

winwave wrote:North of $1.5 mill:

http://wgno.com/category/sports/

Look at Dannen go......Tremendous financial boost and it can only help recruiting. Now we have to put together winning teams and get Yulman Stadium sold out.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Raise your expectations.
Did you just not read the first half of my post, or... what? We went 3-9 last year. That is what I meant by "where we are now."
Yes, and the way it's written could be equally interpreted as projecting 3 wins onto '16. That being said, fair to assume Dannen and Fritz think that the '15 team should have won a few more games.

This game isn't for the payday, although it's a nice bonus. They think they have a chance to win that game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I remember us playing at Michigan sometime in the early 1970's?
Yep
On September 30, 1972 we played Michigan @ Ann Arbor and got clobbered 41 to 7. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html
I remember us just choking it and playing way below our ability? But who knows, that kind of game may well have served to "acclimate" us to the big time as "necessary predicate" for our year later unforgettable December 1, 1973 14 to 0 win over LSWho? :megagrin:
ked

If memory serves, we ranked when we played Michigan...I think we were number 18...back in the day when there was only a top 20
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I remember us playing at Michigan sometime in the early 1970's?
Yep
On September 30, 1972 we played Michigan @ Ann Arbor and got clobbered 41 to 7. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html
I remember us just choking it and playing way below our ability? But who knows, that kind of game may well have served to "acclimate" us to the big time as "necessary predicate" for our year later unforgettable December 1, 1973 14 to 0 win over LSWho? :megagrin:
We had won the first three games of that season, and went into the Big House ranked in the top 25. Michigan brought us back to earth. I had a frat brother who was a cheerleader at the time, and he said that everyone from Tulane (players, cheerleaders and fans) were immediately intimidated the minute they walked into the Big House--hence we played way below our ability that day.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

nawlinspete wrote:Do not remember the year, but do remember a glorious fall day in Notre Dame Stadium in, I believe, the early 1970's when we were up on ND at the half before eventually losing.

I, too, will travel to Columbus to witness the dotting of the i.

Lets get Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, and a return game from want a be Tulane coach Harbaugh and Michigan on the schedule, too !

Is it true the BiG will relocate to New Orleans when we join ?
Yes, I do! Big Charlie Hall was getting to their QB all day! Also, remember the ND-TU game at Tulane Stadium in late 60's in front of 41k that the Irish won 41-0, I believe.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:Do not remember the year, but do remember a glorious fall day in Notre Dame Stadium in, I believe, the early 1970's when we were up on ND at the half before eventually losing.
Could that game have been on November 13, 1971 - Final Score Tulane 7, Notre Dame 21 with the Wave winning 7-0 at half? http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html And, wasn’t it Rusty Lachaussee who threw the touchdown pass for us? The first half was a bit magical, I was just a kid at the time.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
Could that game have been on November 13, 1971 - Final Score Tulane 7, Notre Dame 21 with the Wave winning 7-0 at half? http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html And, wasn’t it Rusty Lachaussee who threw the touchdown pass for us? The first half was a bit magical, I was just a kid at the time.
Yes, absolutely. A great game and lots of fun "being their".

We need to make being their fun again.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wavetime
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:If this was the old regime, this game would have been at Ohio U.!
Michigan begged us to play them for years.
Really! That would be fun.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yep
ked

If memory serves, were ranked when we played Michigan...I think we were number 18...back in the day when there was only a top 20
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

This is great news. I hope we can put together a program that will fight them pretty tough or even pull off an upset. If this game would have been scheduled for '17, I wouldn't have been this excited. The 3rd year usually tells a coach where his program is headed.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
I think Joe Thiesman was ND's QB for that game
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
No Joe Thiesmann graduated in 1971, and played in the CFL during the '71 football season. Despite changing the pronunciation of his name (from "Thees-man") to sound like the trophy, he didn't win it! The game referenced was my brother's Senior year at ND; I would NEVER brag that Tulane lead at halftime, simply because that means (and meant) absolutely nothing. The score at the end of the game is the one that determines if a "W" or an "L" goes in the books. Just like "almost beating LSU at the half" a few years ago meant absolutely nothing. Then again, maybe my focus on the final score is more of what someone else has labelled "Stamford Syndrome." So be it...either way it was not a Green Wave victory.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OGSB
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
No Joe Thiesmann graduated in 1971, and played in the CFL during the '71 football season. Despite changing the pronunciation of his name (from "Thees-man") to sound like the trophy, he didn't win it! The game referenced was my brother's Senior year at ND; I would NEVER brag that Tulane lead at halftime, simply because that means (and meant) absolutely nothing. The score at the end of the game is the one that determines if a "W" or an "L" goes in the books. Just like "almost beating LSU at the half" a few years ago meant absolutely nothing. Then again, maybe my focus on the final score is more of what someone else has labelled "Stamford Syndrome." So be it...either way it was not a Green Wave victory.
+1. More than a little embarrassing how many times the only thing we have to hang our hat on is a lead during a game.
Livin' rent free
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OGSB wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
+1. More than a little embarrassing how many times the only thing we have to hang our hat on is a lead during a game.
Thank goodness those days will soon be behind us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Fat Harry
Low Tide

It appears that "money games" will be the future. I'm fine with that - let's get some dollars and exposure, and maybe even win a game every now and then. If we go 3-1 out of conference every year, then we will be set up for a bowl anyway.
Wave755
Tsunami

OGSB wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
+1. More than a little embarrassing :confused: how many times the only thing we have to hang our hat on is a lead during a game.
The Notre Dame of 1971 was "your grandfather's Notre Dame," celebrated and still viewed as at its apogee and the absolute premiere team of college football, and I was about 10 years old at the time. Notre Dame's coach was a guy you may have heard of named Ara Parseghian? A fun memory to this day.
Wavetime
Swell

Is anyone planning on traveling to the Ohio St. Game?
Wavetime
Swell

Is anyone planning on going to the Ohio St game? I'll be up there with my family tailgating. Really looking forward to it.

Sorry for the double post.