Ohio St. Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
dpm wave
Swell

Last edited by dpm wave on Thu May 26, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wavetime
Swell

Just saw that. Can't wait to go to the Hoeseshoe!
RobertM320
Green Wave

If this was the old regime, this game would have been at Ohio U.!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:If this was the old regime, this game would have been at Ohio U.!
Michigan begged us to play them for years.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I remember us playing at Michigan sometime in the early 1970's?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I remember us playing at Michigan sometime in the early 1970's?
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Awesome! Do we get a return game?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I'm glad it's a 1 for 0. Scheduling 2 or 3 for 1s would destroy our future schedules.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Awesome. Thanks Troy!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

This is exciting and hopefully by year 3, WF will have his recruits to give us a good show at the Shoe!
Jaxwave
Swell

I too am happy to see this game scheduled but if the Urbanator is still their coach It might be a bloodbath. He is in the Saban class of coaches and is a big time recruiter.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Kudos to TD. We'll be up to the task by then.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:If this was the old regime, this game would have been at Ohio U.!
Frank Solich and the Bobcats would have given us a thumping.
I will make sure to take a slight detour and visit Athens, Ohio on my way to Columbus. It is a beautiful college town that has more of an Appalachia feel than a typical small town in Ohio. Columbus is a mess.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I remember us playing at Michigan sometime in the early 1970's?
Yep
On September 30, 1972 we played Michigan @ Ann Arbor and got clobbered 41 to 7. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html
I remember us just choking it and playing way below our ability? But who knows, that kind of game may well have served to "acclimate" us to the big time as "necessary predicate" for our year later unforgettable December 1, 1973 14 to 0 win over LSWho? :megagrin:
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fritz gets two more recruiting classes and hopefully by then he will have found his Quarterback.
Eaglewave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:Fritz gets two more recruiting classes and hopefully by then he will have found his Quarterback.
I agree.
Ball Sumrall!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Fritz gets two more recruiting classes and hopefully by then he will have found his Quarterback.
I agree.
Me too.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Do not remember the year, but do remember a glorious fall day in Notre Dame Stadium in, I believe, the early 1970's when we were up on ND at the half before eventually losing.

I, too, will travel to Columbus to witness the dotting of the i.

Lets get Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, and a return game from want a be Tulane coach Harbaugh and Michigan on the schedule, too !

Is it true the BiG will relocate to New Orleans when we join ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
OUG
Riptide

I would ordinarily hate this, but I actually love it because it is three seasons away and we are in the first year of a new regime.

Dannen understands that you need to have goals to shoot for. You need to have some target to build towards and aspire to.

So he and Fritz can say, "Ok, this is currently the level we are at -- going 3-9. In three years, I have us playing Ohio State. I expect us to build a program where in that game we can legitimately measure our progress. Do we belong on the field in that game or not? Let's make sure we do."

I think it fits with his philosophy of having high expectations. We just hired a former NBA head coach of the year who had taken SEVEN NBA teams to the playoffs. To coach TULANE basketball. This guy is not competing to be an also-ran. He is trying to bring "big time" culture to the school and the athletic department. Everything he does is to project and aspire to that image. This is about "raising the bar."

Also, there are maybe 5 Football Programs in the country that can stroke a paycheck for a road game like Ohio State. I mean it's not like an 0-1 with South Carolina where we would likely also lose and get paid probably 60% of what OSU can offer us. I would bet this payout is substantial.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Make no little plans....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Can only help us recruit, too !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:I would ordinarily hate this, but I actually love it because it is three seasons away and we are in the first year of a new regime.

Dannen understands that you need to have goals to shoot for. You need to have some target to build towards and aspire to.

So he and Fritz can say, "Ok, this is currently the level we are at -- going 3-9. In three years, I have us playing Ohio State. I expect us to build a program where in that game we can legitimately measure our progress. Do we belong on the field in that game or not? Let's make sure we do."

I think it fits with his philosophy of having high expectations. We just hired a former NBA head coach of the year who had taken SEVEN NBA teams to the playoffs. To coach TULANE basketball. This guy is not competing to be an also-ran. He is trying to bring "big time" culture to the school and the athletic department. Everything he does is to project and aspire to that image. This is about "raising the bar."

Also, there are maybe 5 Football Programs in the country that can stroke a paycheck for a road game like Ohio State. I mean it's not like an 0-1 with South Carolina where we would likely also lose and get paid probably 60% of what OSU can offer us. I would bet this payout is substantial.
Big +1. Well said. We need to embrace this.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

These type of games have always been available for years. The previous administration choose not to go this route. Thankfully our new administration feels differently.
Tulane Class of 1981