Something good happened yesterday FB

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Besides VB winning...,
I thought the Facebook Live broadcast was excellent. The announcers were ok but the interaction with fans in the live stream was very engaging. I also liked the announcers making comments on some of the better posts. Having no commercials between timeouts was also a welcome change. I streamed the broadcast to my TV via Chromecast and it looked as good and perhaps better than a regular TV broadcast.
This is definitely the future and will continue to grow. Even our own Steve had his dogs get airtime yesterday during the broadcast. It brings the fans in the broadcast booth.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Tim, if you are ever riding by on your bike, please stop by. I could use your “geek squad “ knowledge. Thanks
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 pm Tim, if you are ever riding by on your bike, please stop by. I could use your “geek squad “ knowledge. Thanks
No problem. I pass by at least once a week. I’ll stop by and knock one day this week for sure.
Want to checkout that outdoor addition you just added on.
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

On a side note; I really did enjoy the clear streaming of game from my computer on Facebook. Hope they have other AAC games available in future. The "real time" option to write to other fans during the game was a fun BONUS!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I enjoyed the broadcast features too but on apple TV the picture was blurry.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:28 pm I enjoyed the broadcast features too but on apple TV the picture was blurry.
Sounds like a bandwidth issue. If you have a “dual band router” (uses both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi.) connect your Apple TV via the 5 GHz band. It will allow for a higher bandwidth. The 2.4 GHz is better at holding a connection. So if your Apple TV is close enough to your router the 5 GHz should work well. Once the data stream buffers a blurry picture usually clears. 5 GHz signal should help with this if the bandwidth improves. If that doesn’t work you can try a reboot on the Apple TV that sometimes corrects that problem.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'd have to agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and interactivity of the broadcast. And yes, the pups did make an appearance. LOL
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm
Dave breslin wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 pm Tim, if you are ever riding by on your bike, please stop by. I could use your “geek squad “ knowledge. Thanks
No problem. I pass by at least once a week. I’ll stop by and knock one day this week for sure.
What are the benefits of chromecast?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm
What are the benefits of chromecast?
Cheaper and it free’s up your phone when casting to your TV. Casting via Apple airplay ties up your phone. Ex. Once you send the stream to your connected Chromecast you can leave your house and websurf and make calls. Etc. When you airplay to Apple TV you have to stay on the particular stream. It mirrors your phone exactly. So if I want to go to GoTula and leave the stream the website shows up on Apple TV whereas Chromecast continues the stream and I can do anything on my phone. Now I have the original Apple TV which only allows Apple installed apps. The new version may allow for you to download FB and stream right from the Apple TV rather than having to “cast” from your phone. If casting is not necessary then there’s probably no advantage of Chromecast other than price.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:28 pm I enjoyed the broadcast features too but on apple TV the picture was blurry.
Sounds like a bandwidth issue. If you have a “dual band router” (uses both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi.) connect your Apple TV via the 5 GHz band. It will allow for a higher bandwidth. The 2.4 GHz is better at holding a connection. So if your Apple TV is close enough to your router the 5 GHz should work well. Once the data stream buffers a blurry picture usually clears. 5 GHz signal should help with this if the bandwidth improves. If that doesn’t work you can try a reboot on the Apple TV that sometimes corrects that problem.
Thanks.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I wasn't a fan of the Facebook broadcast. The woman on the sidelines was very pretty, but she talked about some of the most mundane BS that by the 3rd quarter I actually missed the commercials. But she did look good. And the whole broadcast was pro C-USA. The quality was every bit as good as ESPN3. The ratings sucked, we MIGHT have made it to 2,000 viewers at one point. About as many as were in the stands. And that is an absolute killer if the AAC wants FB to bid up the next media contract.

The other thing I didn't get was why were the breaks as long as if it were televised and the network was at 2 minutes (or longer) of commercials? Seriously, if there's no commercials why is a change of possession cause for 2 to 2.5 minute breaks? That game should have been played in well under 3 hours.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The radio broadcast have commercial breaks.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 am The radio broadcast have commercial breaks.
And is there a contractual obligation to make those breaks as long as TV? If alternative media outlets like FB want to bid on and broadcast games, one of their calling cards should be shorter breaks and faster games. Throw the radio stations a bone and give them a minute but not 2 to 2.5 minutes. They'll deal with it by doing in-game promos.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 am
winwave wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 am The radio broadcast have commercial breaks.
And is there a contractual obligation to make those breaks as long as TV? If alternative media outlets like FB want to bid on and broadcast games, one of their calling cards should be shorter breaks and faster games. Throw the radio stations a bone and give them a minute but not 2 to 2.5 minutes. They'll deal with it by doing in-game promos.
You can bet over time FB will insert their own commercials in order that it can remain free and they can make money or maybe they charge for the stream if the audience remains small like that broadcast did. We’re in the early test stages now. I liked the engagement in the comment section with other fans watching. ESPN3 has commercials but no way for fans to engage with one another. I think that’s why FB has an advantage in the future.
Tulane Class of 1981
alumniwave
Low Tide

I enjoyed it as well. Great for an alumni based all over the world.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The radio deals are in place and they need to make their money. The breaks weren't overly long and give fans watching a chance to get a drink or go to the bathroom so I don't see a problem with them. Seems like everyone here but you enjoyed the format.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 am
The radio deals are in place and they need to make their money. The breaks weren't overly long and give fans watching a chance to get a drink or go to the bathroom so I don't see a problem with them. Seems like everyone here but you enjoyed the format.
I agree with winwave. And I call it like I see it. I really enjoyed that broadcast. Hopefully we see more of this.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The FB broadcast was definitely better than ESPN's streaming broadcasts, or the low quality All-Access broadcasts. FB does need to upgrade their announcers--which were so bad it was comical.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
TXWave88
Surge

The chat interaction isn't for me, but I think it is a cool feature. Would have been neat to have polls for rulings on the field. Of course they would probably be very bias, but could be interesting tidbits. Better than texting in what you thought as it is real time info. It was better than the Nicholls feed I got from ESPN3.

My streaming was not great. I had it on my 5ghz that I use for streaming my cable, netflix, etc. and it was still not great. It was an acceptable option though.
greenphantom
Swell

I used Apple TV with no issues. It may have been your WiFi
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 pm
I used Apple TV with no issues. It may have been your WiFi
Thanks. That's very possible with the recent issues in our area.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I really prefer commercials to the wacky conversations of a sideline reporter and two announcers who had no clue how to fill the dead space. The conversation about "would you rather fight a duck the size of a bear or 10 bears the size of a duck" was the last straw for me.