Wave beats the Wave Again as UAB wins 31-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:42 pm That UAB team stunk. Tulane is worse.

I highly recommend giving up the fight. It will be a productive choice.
Tulane won't give up the fight because if they did they would lose a majority of the alums that currently provide financial backing to the university. Yes, we have many alums who don't care about football, or athletics in general, but those alums typically don't donate much to the university. The alums that provide most the financial backing are supportive of Tulane athletics. If Tulane ends intercollegiate athletics, especially football, they will disappear from the academic radar screen.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:40 pm I’d bench a player for being stupid. These guys are not “above” ANYONE!!
First we ought to bench them because they can't play worth a damn.
TXWave88
Surge

One of the worst coching performances i have seen by “good” coaches. Banks was pathetically awful that im lost for words, but looks like there were defensive missed assignments on majority of the plays. Why we didnt load the box and make that QB throw more makes no sense. He wasnt good. No one hardly ever responsible for outside gaps/containment. Didnt look like our option offense was even called, but just designed run plays between the tackles. Not punting on 4 and 7 before half at midfield is such a simple bad coaching decision. We stifled the bad start and swimg the momentum to at least nuetral. If we punt and they drive 80 yds, them we suck and shouldn't win. But 4th and 7 is friggin long. Punt the ball. Not blaming them for Banks fumbling for a return td but they put the players in a position they shouldnt have been in. Thats what coaching shouldnt do. Very bad perfomance from everyone wearing a headset.
Dave breslin
Swell

Houston, you are correct. And winning would bring in more$. But tulane hasn’t or can’t figure that out
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Where's that "only the audacious" stuff, when it comes to our football team?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

This is seems pretty easy: our o line was over matched (again) their run game dominated our o line, their play calling and passing game were superior.

Jonathan banks has terrible decision making instincts- literally horrible. He would see one guy rushing him, roll out and take the sack instead of throwing it away- repeatedly. He has no ability to run the rpo, it’s all hero ball all the time. He can’t run the T Option either. Teams know this and contain him and force him to pass. How many missed passes did he have tonight ? Many with a couple dropped passes too.

Jbanks will just run into sacks instead of throwing the Ball away, it makes no sense. It’s confounding.

Look back on these last two seasons . . . If you look at it unfiltered jbanks is the cause of more losses then the creator of wins.

He should stand in at Ohio state, with McMillan taking most snaps this week In practice and going forward. Pull the plug. We know what we have now on jbanks and it’s not a bowl game.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:20 pm This is seems pretty easy: our o line was over matched (again) their run game dominated our o line, their play calling and passing game were superior.

Jonathan banks has terrible decision making instincts- literally horrible. He would see one guy rushing him, roll out and take the sack instead of throwing it away- repeatedly. He has no ability to run the rpo, it’s all hero ball all the time. He can’t run the T Option either. Teams know this and contain him and force him to pass. How many missed passes did he have tonight ? Many with a couple dropped passes too.

Jbanks will just run into sacks instead of throwing the Ball away, it makes no sense. It’s confounding.

Look back on these last two seasons . . . If you look at it unfiltered jbanks is the cause of more losses then the creator of wins.

He should stand in at Ohio state, with McMillan taking most snaps this week In practice and going forward. Pull the plug. We know what we have now on jbanks and it’s not a bowl game.
+1,000 I really like the idea of letting McM take most the snaps this week in practice, and then just serving Banks up, one last time, against OSU.
oliveandblue
Surge

I feel like Tulane would win more games if they either went full-blown triple option... ...or scrapped all option attacks and went Air Raid.

I don't think Tulane knows its own identity. It's year 3, and even if you suck there should be an identity.
Wave755
Tsunami

Well, since LSU just beat Auburn 22 to 21, I don't think the Tulane-UAB game will get very much high profile attention from our sports media this weekend. :lol:
Dave breslin
Swell

Wave75. Maybe not getting media is good when you play like a turd. Maybe futz should watch their game to see how to play D1 ball as opposed to the high school offense we have
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:56 pm I feel like Tulane would win more games if they either went full-blown triple option... ...or scrapped all option attacks and went Air Raid.

I don't think Tulane knows its own identity. It's year 3, and even if you suck there should be an identity.
We have an identity and it’s sucking on the road.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 pm Wave75. Maybe not getting media is good when you play like a turd. Maybe futz should watch their game to see how to play D1 ball as opposed to the high school offense we have
Essentially that was the point for my post. We will now be totally irrelevant to Louisiana college football for the rest of this season, even before this coming Saturday at Columbus.
Dave breslin
Swell

At least we beat Nichols. Our offense should make highlights on Friday Night with Ed and JT. We are as inventive on offense as a man in a coma
Pepper
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:13 pm The comments by TU FBall athletes pre game r unacceptable considering the results. So who is accountable? I will answer, no one....ever. Just give up and plow that $20mm deficit back into the university. It’s over.
My late father recommended that 20 years ago. But I'm afraid we would still be terrible in basketball & baseball.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I saw all I needed to see last week when good ole Willie boy was crowd-surfing after beating Nicholls. Beat someone you’re not supposed to, then fine. But cut that shit out.

We look no better than year 1. Again, I’ll say it. You can pretty much search the board and insert your 1, 2, and 3 year comments from the Toledo and CuJo years and you’d have the same now. This shit show is just a continuance of past staffs. WF is not a good or great coach. And no one will ever convince me otherwise.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
msdos
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:04 pm I saw all I needed to see last week when good ole Willie boy was crowd-surfing after beating Nicholls. Beat someone you’re not supposed to, then fine. But cut that sh*t out.
Is this for real? We are a joke that we wrote ourselves
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It really sucks to be a Tulane fan. After our depressing loss I had a grammar school reunion at BWW and had to watch LSU win and their fans and my former classmates go crazy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:56 pm I feel like Tulane would win more games if they either went full-blown triple option... ...or scrapped all option attacks and went Air Raid.

And to think we could’ve had Oklahoma State’s OC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

To think that Dannen recently gave Fritz a contract extension is infuriating. I know at the time some people supported the move but it was stupid. If we pretend that Fritz was going to have a break out season this year any P5 school that offered him a job would easily be able to buy out the contract even with the recent extension. However, since Fritz will likely have an underwhelming season the extension increases the amount that Tulane will have to pay him for his buy out if he is fired.. Lastly, you don’t give someone a contract extension after a loss to FIU and a 5-7 season as happened last year, Dannen needs to be held responsible for this.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:04 pm I saw all I needed to see last week when good ole Willie boy was crowd-surfing after beating Nicholls. Beat someone you’re not supposed to, then fine. But cut that sh*t out.

We look no better than year 1. Again, I’ll say it. You can pretty much search the board and insert your 1, 2, and 3 year comments from the Toledo and CuJo years and you’d have the same now. This sh*t show is just a continuance of past staffs. WF is not a good or great coach. And no one will ever convince me otherwise.
Yep. If we were going to hire an older coach it should have been Skip Holtz. He had been in Louisiana recruiting at Tech and he's a proven winner at this level.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll add this about Banks. Before the season everyone had hopes for a good season because of him. Everyone also worried if something happened to him the season was over. It seems the staff saw it that way and has constrained him to avoid injury. At this point we have McMillan. Let Banks be himself and encourage him to use his athletic skills. Hopefully it works and he doesn't get hurt. If it doesn't work or he does get hurt then we have McMillan.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Since Dannen is apparently 0 for 3 on his coaching hires for the three major sports, can someone tell me anything positive and significant he has accomplished? No, I don’t consider bringing back Angry Wave a significant accomplishment although Troy sure likes to tweet a lot about it. Soon after Dannen came on board he said we needed to get to work on raising funds for a football ops center so that we can stay competitive with other schools in the AAC. How much money has been raised to date for the ops center and what will it cost to build? Dannen and Tulane seem to be very quiet about it, which does not give me confidence that the ops center will be built anytime in the near future.
oliveandblue
Surge

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 pm

And to think we could’ve had Oklahoma State’s OC.
That would be interesting. Rich Rod (the new crew at Tulane weren't the ones that pissed him off) would be interesting.

Actually, I think an OC from a service academy is not that horrible of an idea. We need the discipline, and moving to a triple option would allow for us to not tell half of the recruits to gtfo.
oliveandblue
Surge

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 pm Since Dannen is apparently 0 for 3 on his coaching hires for the three major sports, can someone tell me anything positive and significant he has accomplished? No, I don’t consider bringing back Angry Wave a significant accomplishment although Troy sure likes to tweet a lot about it. Soon after Dannen came on board he said we needed to get to work on raising funds for a football ops center so that we can stay competitive with other schools in the AAC. How much money has been raised to date for the ops center and what will it cost to build? Dannen and Tulane seem to be very quiet about it, which does not give me confidence that the ops center will be built anytime in the near future.
An IPF/ops building sounds nice, but keep in mind Tulane shares the Saints facilities. It's not like they can't practice or study at a high level.

I think Dannen made a good faith hire in Fritz. I don't think this is on him. As long as the AD continues to go for high quality coaches (or someone that really fits), then I am OK with him.

I see why he went for Fritz, this is not the Dickson situation where the hire made you go "WTF" on day 1.

Dunleavy's team got a lot better from year 1 to year 2. I think this year is HUGE when judging him.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I can’t blame Dannen for initially hiring Fritz as he looked good on paper and was having success at Georgia Southern. However, Dannen’s decision to give Fritz a contract extension after last season looks like he made a terrible decision.