Wave beats the Wave Again as UAB wins 31-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Dave breslin
Swell

Could you give a contract based on 100K$ for each win and $1.00 for each loss?

Profoundwizard
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:33 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 pm Since Dannen is apparently 0 for 3 on his coaching hires for the three major sports, can someone tell me anything positive and significant he has accomplished? No, I don’t consider bringing back Angry Wave a significant accomplishment although Troy sure likes to tweet a lot about it. Soon after Dannen came on board he said we needed to get to work on raising funds for a football ops center so that we can stay competitive with other schools in the AAC. How much money has been raised to date for the ops center and what will it cost to build? Dannen and Tulane seem to be very quiet about it, which does not give me confidence that the ops center will be built anytime in the near future.
An IPF/ops building sounds nice, but keep in mind Tulane shares the Saints facilities. It's not like they can't practice or study at a high level.

I think Dannen made a good faith hire in Fritz. I don't think this is on him. As long as the AD continues to go for high quality coaches (or someone that really fits), then I am OK with him.

I see why he went for Fritz, this is not the Dickson situation where the hire made you go "WTF" on day 1.

Dunleavy's team got a lot better from year 1 to year 2. I think this year is HUGE when judging him.
I’m sorry, Dannen doesn’t get credit for simply looking for qualified candidates and hiring one. Fritz, Dunleavy and Jewett all had résumés that made them look like acceptable hires on paper but Dannen only gets credit for making good hires if they win.

Dunleavy’s team is probably going to be worse this year. Losing Frazier and Reynolds is not going to be easy to replace.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

memo to TD...do not schedule North Texas or Arkansas State..... hell let's not schedule anyone
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
oliveandblue
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:09 pm memo to TD...do not schedule North Texas or Arkansas State..... hell let's not schedule anyone
I think Ohio State goes for 80 on Tulane. I also think Memphis goes for 60+, and Cincy will win by 30.

We need a rape whistle.

We also just need to give Dunleavy 1 million/year to buy basketball players so that alumni don't all go on depression medication. :lol:
Wave755
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm Hey 755,
Boy, did our AAU rankings show them!!!!!!
OK Kajun, Miss. St. 56, ULALA 10. And, even though you scored a touchdown at garbage time, that score still does so well fit your tier 5 academic ranking. :thumbup:
TURVS71
Swell

Just got back home from Birmingham after witnessing that embarrassing display of “football!” Rest assured that after my trip to Ohio State, and I AM only going because of the amount of money invested already for two, that I WILL NOT make any more road trips.

Today’s display is TOTALLY unacceptable to me. It is so obvious why Tulane does not have a following. It’s because of the years of inconsistency and embarrassing performances . I used to get pissed off about our lack of coverage but no more.

I really believe that the last play of the SMU
Game has gotten inside of Banks Head. It haunts him. He plays like a JC college quarterback.

The time is fast approaching, for me, that Tulane athletics is going to have to start to provide some return for me to continue to invest the $1000s of dollars from my pocket.

Tulane, if you are contemplating implementing some sort of surcharge or seat license fee for each sport, you better reassess that idea. I can ASSURE that you will lose MANY ticket holders!

Pitiful coaching, pitiful play calling, pitiful execution. The only win is against an FCS team. You better hope and pray that the AAC does not “uninvite”’you.

“P6””?” I think not. More like P U!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Dave breslin
Swell

Watching TCU/OhioState. Remember when we had a leader of TU athletics say”we are tied to the hip with TCU”? Does a bad personality create psychosis or delusional thinking? No wonder we are a crappy as we are. We look like we run with crutches compared to them. And our offense is the model T of college
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 pm Watching TCU/OhioState. Remember when we had a leader of TU athletics say”we are tied to the hip with TCU”? Does a bad personality create psychosis or delusional thinking? No wonder we are a crappy as we are. We look like we run with crutches compared to them. And our offense is the model T of college
In addition to all that, TCU also has a head coach who is the master of motivation. You never see TCU come out and sleep walk through a game like we do. Once again, Tulane looked like a bunch of zombies walking through the motions. Several of our players should lose their scholarships after this season.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Swell

It isn’t the coaching. Can’t get the players due to academics. Recruits don’t give a damn about academics and Tulane actually thinks it helps in recruiting, time to seriously think about giving up on athletics. They are an embarrassment to the University as a whole. Never thought I would ever see the programs so inept.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 pm Watching TCU/OhioState. Remember when we had a leader of TU athletics say”we are tied to the hip with TCU”? Does a bad personality create psychosis or delusional thinking? No wonder we are a crappy as we are. We look like we run with crutches compared to them. And our offense is the model T of college
And to think, the last time we played TCU was in 2004 and we beat them 35 to 31. And, then look where our programs are today? And, contrary to what “Scott” would say, the explanation is not Katrina.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I feel sorry for the Tulane fans making the trip to Ohio State. It’s like knowing in advance you’re on the way to the slaughterhouse. For your sake I hope alcohol is served inside the stadium. There is no way I would sit through four quarters of that game sober.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 pm It isn’t the coaching. Can’t get the players due to academics. Recruits don’t give a damn about academics and Tulane actually thinks it helps in recruiting, time to seriously think about giving up on athletics. They are an embarrassment to the University as a whole. Never thought I would ever see the programs so inept.
Our latest recruiting class was our highest ranked recruiting class since recruiting rankings really became a thing like 15 years ago
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 pm It isn’t the coaching. Can’t get the players due to academics. Recruits don’t give a damn about academics and Tulane actually thinks it helps in recruiting, time to seriously think about giving up on athletics. They are an embarrassment to the University as a whole. Never thought I would ever see the programs so inept.
Tulane keeps pursuing the mythical unicorn of combining academics and athletics. Our leadership hasn’t figured out that you have to pursue both entirely separately. Good recruits don’t care about our academic standing, just as good scholars don’t care about our athletics. Separate them both, and succeed at both-there is nothing to apologize for in doing so. Do we require our academic students to run a 4.4 and bench 400lbs.?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:09 pm
Tulane keeps pursuing the mythical unicorn of combining academics and athletics. Our leadership hasn’t figured out that you have to pursue both entirely separately. Good recruits don’t care about our academic standing, just as good scholars don’t care about our athletics. Separate them both, and succeed at both-there is nothing to apologize for in doing so. Do we require our academic students to run a 4.4 and bench 400lbs.?
Tulane accepts athletes at NCAA minimums and has instituted multiple athletic friendly courses. It's year 3. The staff isn't getting it done.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To those saying give up football remember that that means getting out of the AAC and likely ending up in the Southland. There will be no support for that. The way things are going Tulane gets kicked out of the AAC and UAB gets in. They are building a 45,000 seat stadium which will be expandable to 55,000 and and a football ops. building. But hey facilities don't matter.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 pm To those saying give up football
Take a deep breath and then get a good night’s sleep.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 pm
Our latest recruiting class was our highest ranked recruiting class since recruiting rankings really became a thing like 15 years ago
To be fair, Fritz’s first full class was the worst class Tulane’s had in those 15 years. So, basically, Fritz’s two full classes average to a CJ class.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 pm To those saying give up football remember that that means getting out of the AAC and likely ending up in the Southland. There will be no support for that. The way things are going Tulane gets kicked out of the AAC and UAB gets in. They are building a 45,000 seat stadium which will be expandable to 55,000 and and a football ops. building. But hey facilities don't matter.
They are not building it, it's being built and leased to them for 20 years. It's not on campus, which is what their fans really want. And unless we continue to spiral downward, and don't win any AAC games this year or next or the year after, we're not getting kicked out of the AAC. And UAB's attendance woes are even worse than ours. There were almost as many fans in the stadium as watching on Facebook (2k at peak).

The sky isn't falling. We lost to a team that is our equal, and in a conference we should be better than but are not at this point. Put this Tulane team in C-USA and we're no better than middle of the pack.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:20 pm This seems pretty easy: our o line was over matched (again), their run game dominated our line, their play calling and passing game were superior.

Jonathan banks has terrible decision making instincts- literally horrible. He would see one guy rushing him, roll out and take the sack instead of throwing it away- repeatedly. He has no ability to run the rpo, it’s all hero ball, all the time. He can’t run the Tripple Option either. Teams know this and contain him and force him to pass. How many missed passes did he have tonight ? Many with a couple dropped passes too.

Jbanks will just run into sacks instead of throwing the ball away, it makes no sense. It’s confounding.

Look back on these last two seasons . . . If you look at it unfiltered jbanks is the cause of more losses then the creator of wins.

He should stand in at Ohio State, with McMillan taking most snaps this week In practice and going forward. Pull the plug. We know what we have now on jbanks and it’s not a bowl game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 pm To those saying give up football remember that that means getting out of the AAC and likely ending up in the Southland. There will be no support for that. The way things are going Tulane gets kicked out of the AAC and UAB gets in. They are building a 45,000 seat stadium which will be expandable to 55,000 and and a football ops. building. But hey facilities don't matter.
UAB is not going to get into the AAC...... If Tulane get's kicked out UTSA will be next in line, larger population base, play's in th Alamo Dome and a larger TV market
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 pm
Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm Who and what was said by a player? I guess he thinks we are the tops because we played in the Rose Bowl in the past. We also had a president who painted his head with lead green paint. Losing to a team who restarted football two years ago! That would be impossible—-but we can do the impossible. I had hopes before the season because of the hype. But it’s the same old Tulane. UAB started with zero. We started in the negative. The negative for 15 years
Banks and Mooney both referred to UAB as a lower level team this week in an article in the Advocate.
And so did Fritz. We haven't beaten anyone anytime recently, we should NEVER say another program is at a lower level.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

The sky isn't falling. We lost to a team that is our equal, and in a conference we should be better than but are not at this point. Put this Tulane team in C-USA and we're no better than middle of the pack.
[/quote]

I'm not sure we would win the Southland! But hey we could always blame baseball. Guys, it really does not matter who we hire. There is an acceptable culture of losing in football that has spread to the other sports. I'm pretty sure we are the worst athletics program in the country and the alums, board & admin really don't care about winning. It's pretty simple. I'd rather be a Gonzaga in basketball or a Fullerton in baseball than continue to pour money into a high school stadium with no hope on the horizon that football can ever be turned around. I do believe if we dropped down to an even lesser tier conference, the admins would swoop in and slash the athletic budget. I get teased about my SLU education but how smart can it be to continually have a failed model and brag about it. Wasn't it Buddy D who said "Tulane wants to be Harvard Monday thru Friday & Nebraska on Saturday".
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:23 am We lost to a team that is our equal,
Not according to our coaches/players.
msdos
Swell

This talk of dropping football is retarded.
Fritz just cannot hack it at this level. Look at CJ. He got us to a bowl in C-USA. Moved to AAC and couldn't compete. We just need someone who can coach above the JV level.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:48 pm
kookingkajun wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm Hey 755,
Boy, did our AAU rankings show them!!!!!!
OK Kajun, Miss. St. 56, ULALA 10. And, even though you scored a touchdown at garbage time, that score still does so well fit your tier 5 academic ranking. :thumbup:
Hey Asswipe 755,
I've told you before. I am not a UL fan. I was a chef that cooked Cajun food.. Since you always bring up academic rankings in the "sports" forum, I was making a joke about most of you statements.
Reading your arrogance you must be a lawyer. :lol: :lol: :lol: