Wave beats the Wave Again as UAB wins 31-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:24 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm I suggest hiring Todd Dodge as the new OC...Todd is now the HC at Westlake HS, home of Drew Brees and Baker Mayfield and many other successful QB's...
https://www.statesman.com/news/local/to ... NSVWF3vlJ/

he turned down this high school gem of an opportunity
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/df ... 86319.html
Great idea, if Dodge would be willing to be an OC. If not, perhaps we can throw Art Briles a career lifeline.
Art Briles is pretty toxic right now, but I'm not sure he's fallen far enough in his own mind to accept the job as OC at Tulane. Not that Tulane would ever even consider hiring someone with his baggage.

Sunamiwave
High Tide

Tulane would never consider Art Briles but until recently we could have had his son Kendal Briles as our OC. After last season Kendal left FAU for Houston so now we have no chance of getting him.

What is the story on Rich Rod? Arizona fired him last season after he was accused of sexual harassment. Rich continues to deny the accusation so I don’t know how strong the evidence is against him. This is not my idea as someone else on this board has mentioned it before but could we bring in Rich as either an offensive coordinator or analyst to completely revamp our offense? I don’t think Rich is coaching this season so perhaps we could realistically hire him since we have a new administration from the time he was previously here.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I believe Rich Rod said Arizona would be his last job, but I’m sure he thought it would be a longer and more successful tenure.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's a nice pipedream to think we're going to change the offense or the offensive coordinator in the middle of the season. It's just not going to happen.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 pm Tulane would never consider Art Briles but until recently we could have had his son Kendal Briles as our OC. After last season Kendal left FAU for Houston so now we have no chance of getting him.

What is the story on Rich Rod? Arizona fired him last season after he was accused of sexual harassment. Rich continues to deny the accusation so I don’t know how strong the evidence is against him. This is not my idea as someone else on this board has mentioned it before but could we bring in Rich as either an offensive coordinator or analyst to completely revamp our offense? I don’t think Rich is coaching this season so perhaps we could realistically hire him since we have a new administration from the time he was previously here.
I brought up him coming in as a consultant. We couldn't change the whole offense right now but we do use spread principles and he could certainly tutor the staff and the team on how to best execute that aspect of things. It won't happen since his issues haven't reached a conclusion at Arizona. If they did get resolved in his favor it would certainly be something to pursue as this staff clearly needs help. It never hurts to dream when your team sucks yet again.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 pm It's a nice pipedream to think we're going to change the offense or the offensive coordinator in the middle of the season. It's just not going to happen.
I don’t think anyone is expecting that. Just suggesting potential moves in the offseason
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 pm Tulane would never consider Art Briles but until recently we could have had his son Kendal Briles as our OC. After last season Kendal left FAU for Houston so now we have no chance of getting him.

I brought up him coming in as a consultant. We couldn't change the whole offense right now but we do use spread principles and he could certainly tutor the staff and the team on how to best execute that aspect of things. It won't happen since his issues haven't reached a conclusion at Arizona. If they did get resolved in his favor it would certainly be something to pursue as this staff clearly needs help. It never hurts to dream when your team sucks yet again.
Rich Rod ain’t coming here to be no damn offensive analyst or consultant. He probably sees himself above even being the head coach at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 am
winwave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Rich Rod ain’t coming here to be no damn offensive analyst or consultant. He probably sees himself above even being the head coach at Tulane.
Didn't intend it to be permanent. It's going to be a while before anyone will be looking to hire him as a HC so it would be a good way to get his foot back in the door. By making a noticeable difference in our offense he'd speed the process up for himself to get another HC'ing gig. Most importantly as I said it's just dreaming during another suck ass season. Back to your miserable day. BTW, he used to give clinics on how to run the spread in the offseason. That's something worth looking into.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 pm
1989alum wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm Willie is in a position he has never been in before in his career - staring at a third consecutive losing season in a row and with a higher level of scrutiny.....the rest of the season will be very telling if he has the capacity to regroup and bounce back.
Does anyone know why he didn't stay with the option offense? I thought that was the plan from the beginning as he'd been successful with it at Ga Southern.. I'd think a well-run option offense would be far better than, well, whatever he's running today.
Obviously, you don't pay attention. Fritz has never been a true triple-option offense kind of coach. He only did that at Georgia Southern for two reasons: 1)the personnel he had were all recruited to that offense and 2)its the offense that's historically been run at GSU. Their fans were pissed when Fritz' replacement tried to go away from it. They believe triple-option is part of their identity.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

regarding RichRod and Art Briles....they will never be on the Tulane campus...Briles' baggage is too much for them and Rich Rod, even tho he dealt with SC and RD there is bitterness between Tulane and himself..besides Rich Rods wife's allergies would once again come into play...he may surface at New Mexico, or Wyoming where there are no plant allergies
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Never say never... :mrgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 pm Never say never... :mrgreen:
OK..."not" be on campus
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

I like this topic—-it’s September and let’s get a coach to coach our coaches because they can’t coach. Watching UCF— they look like their in fast motion when compared to watching us. I guess you use a wide open offense when you can’t recruit gorillas for the o line.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:20 pm I like this topic—-it’s September and let’s get a coach to coach our coaches because they can’t coach. Watching UCF— they look like their in fast motion when compared to watching us. I guess you use a wide open offense when you can’t recruit gorillas for the o line.
I'm watching UCF and this is the worst performance I've seen from the Knights since 2016. They're not playing well at all, at least through the first half.

Edit: The last drive of the first half and the first three of the second saw UCF kick it into gear. Late in the first half they looked out of sync, just not gaining chunks of yards and scoring quickly like they typically do.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:01 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 pm
1989alum wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm Willie is in a position he has never been in before in his career - staring at a third consecutive losing season in a row and with a higher level of scrutiny.....the rest of the season will be very telling if he has the capacity to regroup and bounce back.
Does anyone know why he didn't stay with the option offense? I thought that was the plan from the beginning as he'd been successful with it at Ga Southern.. I'd think a well-run option offense would be far better than, well, whatever he's running today.
Obviously, you don't pay attention. Fritz has never been a true triple-option offense kind of coach. He only did that at Georgia Southern for two reasons: 1)the personnel he had were all recruited to that offense and 2)its the offense that's historically been run at GSU. Their fans were pissed when Fritz' replacement tried to go away from it. They believe triple-option is part of their identity.
Aside from the fact that I didn't use the term triple-option, I do pay attention, and yes, I'm familiar with Ga Southern's love of the triple-option.. It's all they talk about.

It was my understanding from the beginning reading this site, that Fritz intended to run some type of option offense. I'm not going to dig up the original thread where his name surfaced as a potential head coach, nor those that soon followed, but I recall many discussions here about players who were transferring out of the Wave football program, or decommitting because they didn't feel their talents would be utilized in an option offense, Either they weren't paying attention or someone was BS'ng them.

If I'm all wet on this one, which I often am, I'll admit it. But generally, my memory is pretty good. Someone either shoot me down or back up my observation. Thanks.
Last edited by cajunfanatico on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
netshorty
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 pm Someone either shoot me down or back up my observation. Thanks.
yep, thought the same thing, hundreds of definitions out there of option offense and no mention by you of triple option specifically. thus confused why there was an need to insult. your observation is spot on, there is no identity to what is attempted to be run offensively. just a hodge podge of terrible play calling.
Profoundwizard
Swell

netshorty wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:12 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 pm Someone either shoot me down or back up my observation. Thanks.
yep, thought the same thing, hundreds of definitions out there of option offense and no mention by you of triple option specifically. thus confused why there was an need to insult. your observation is spot on, there is no identity to what is attempted to be run offensively. just a hodge podge of terrible play calling.

If we weren’t intending on running some read option stuff why’d we run off Tanner Lee and Jack Abraham?
Didn’t Fritz run read option/spread option at Sam Houston?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Because he specifically mentioned that "Fritz was successful with it at Georgia Southern". Fritz ran the triple-option at GSU, so logically I took that to mean he was referring to the triple-option.

As to there not being an identity to what we run offensively, I agree with that 100%.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:33 pm

If we weren’t intending on running some read option stuff why’d we run off Tanner Lee and Jack Abraham?
Didn’t Fritz run read option/spread option at Sam Houston?
I don't know if we'll ever know the answer to whether he ran them off, or they just predetermined that he was going to run triple-option. I actually think we were hurt by the fact he ran that at GSU. Had he come straight to us from Sam Houston, the perception by players may have been different. We did have some talented players transfer or decommit because of perception.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

My impression is that Abraham was more of a pocket passer and he wanted to come to Tulane due to CJs pro-style scheme. Fritz’s arrival indicated that Tulane was lookin for a more athletic QB, regardless as to whether Fritz actually sat him down and told him that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

want an OC that can open things up...hire this guy, he was air raid before RR could spell "spread"...and note the date 1989 and who was his OC at Iowa Westlyn, before Valdosta State and Kentuck

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... /95760820/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Mumme
Dave breslin
Swell

Golf, we did such a fabulous job pass blocking and protection of our QB. Our punting is much better this year. Maybe we should punt on first down. And how old is Mumme. He may be a mummy by now. We’ve had the dummy run our offense
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 pm Golf, we did such a fabulous job pass blocking and protection of our QB. Our punting is much better this year. Maybe we should punt on first down. And how old is Mumme. He may be a mummy by now. We’ve had the dummy run our offense
I think Hal is 66 years old...in his prime
Dave breslin
Swell

Our offense has been a Ruse on us for many years