Wave beats the Wave Again as UAB wins 31-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 pm This is starting to remind me of the "Buffet Bob" Toledo Era where each year the Army game would be the "turning point" for the season and then we would lose the Army game and the downward spiral would begin for the season.
Today's play calling was very reminiscent of the Toledo era. It also evoked memories of the Buddy System, as we didn't try a single pitch play after the one that got us a TD. Buddy always stopped doing what was working, and Fritz seems to do the same thing.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Banks had a big second half, getting his QB rating up to 68.75 He had a 10.41 rating at half--and Fritz stayed with him--unbelievable.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Banks and Fritz suck! No kid is going to look at this program and really think Fritz is turning things around! Plain and simply, Tulane football is a lost cause.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It’s time to consider firing Fritz.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

7-24 passing. That was Tulane’s QB. Worse yet he ran for 13 yds as this was no option attack.

This really hurts. Lossing is ok, but not like this in year 3.

I am having a hard time seeing the long term vision.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:40 pm Banks had a big second half, getting his QB rating up to 68.75 He had a 10.41 rating at half--and Fritz stayed with him--unbelievable.
But,,, but.... according to some of our posters it's the Oline's fault and Banks is a great QB. Banks can't make the correct read on the option, he doesn't have a pocket presence, he can't pick up the the hot blitzers coming right into his face, he can't throw the ball in under 5 seconds after the snap, he can't can't hit open underneath receivers. I honestly believe we would be better with Glen Cuiellete at QB. I fault Willie for leaving us with Banks and no other options at QB until the late Mcmillan transfer. He should write off Banks and see what we've got with McM. We'll be 1 & 5 anyway. I really can't watch the Banks Hero Ball show anymore this year.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 pm It’s time to consider firing Fritz.
And Dannen. He’s 0-3 hiring coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another disappointing performance in a game we should win. As others have already said this is what we do in games like this. So now we hunt 5 wins against the low hanging fruit in the hopes of making a who gives a shit Bowl. The conference is down this year but based on how we've been playing I don't know if it's that down.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:02 pm I have to wonder what team people were looking at that thought we might be 3-0 going into Ohio State
Well first off we aren't allowed to watch this team so we have to guess based on expectations of players getting better with experience. Yet despite our performances so far we lost in OT and came back to put ourselves in position to win i the 4th quarter today. So it was realistic to think we could be 3-0.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

How could the UAB offensive and defensive line manhandle and wear Tulane down so badly? I thought we would be getting better lineman than UAB since we are in the AAC and they are in lowly CUSA. However, that is not the case. Our offensive play calling is terrible. The Tulane player who told the press earlier in the week that we are a “higher” program than UAB should be mocked for his statement. All current Tulane football players need to realize that we are not “higher” than anyone. We are at the bottom of the barrel. Man, it continues to suck to be a Tulane fan. I thought this was the year that Fritz was going to get things turned around. However, it now looks like Fritz will never get things turned around. The most idiotic and depressing thing is that Dannen already gave Fritz an extension. It’s the same ole’ Tulane whether Dickson or Dannen is running the show.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:40 pm Banks had a big second half, getting his QB rating up to 68.75 He had a 10.41 rating at half--and Fritz stayed with him--unbelievable.
But,,, but.... according to some of our posters it's the Oline's fault and Banks is a great QB. Banks can't make the correct read on the option, he doesn't have a pocket presence, he can't pick up the the hot blitzers coming right into his face, he can't throw the ball in under 5 seconds after the snap, he can't can't hit open underneath receivers. I honestly believe we would be better with Glen Cuiellete at QB. I fault Willie for leaving us with Banks and no other options at QB until the late Mcmillan transfer. He should write off Banks and see what we've got with McM. We'll be 1 & 5 anyway. I really can't watch the Banks Hero Ball show anymore this year.
No doubt Banks had a bad game. Guess what so did the O-line again for the umpteenth time in a row. I'd love to see you behind this line for one game. Banks came on last season and everyone was excited about him. His regression is on the staff. The defense stunk again. So the coaching isn't getting it done despite you saying Willie walks on water.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 pm It’s time to consider firing Fritz.
And Dannen. He’s 0-3 hiring coaches.
Bingo!
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Hey 755,
Boy, did our AAU rankings show them!!!!!!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The comments by TU FBall athletes pre game r unacceptable considering the results. So who is accountable? I will answer, no one....ever. Just give up and plow that $20mm deficit back into the university. It’s over.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Although I don't think Banks deserves to see the field again this year, I would go ahead and throw him to the wolves in Columbus. It would be very unfair to throw McMillan in against the Buckeyes. After the Columbus beat down is behind us, we should only see McMillan at QB. If McM isn't ready, then let's give Ledford a shot. Anybody would be better than Banks, and his attempted heroics. Beyond Banks, why can't this staff figure out what we can do, and do it. Spread the OL, run the corners, throw screens, do something that works, even if our OL isn't up to par--quit pounding it between tackles if we don't have an OL..
Dave breslin
Swell

Who and what was said by a player? I guess he thinks we are the tops because we played in the Rose Bowl in the past. We also had a president who painted his head with lead green paint. Losing to a team who restarted football two years ago! That would be impossible—-but we can do the impossible. I had hopes before the season because of the hype. But it’s the same old Tulane. UAB started with zero. We started in the negative. The negative for 15 years
cajunfanatico
Swell

Just read this comment on another forum and have no idea whether it's accurate or not.
Fritz has never been the 2nd coming of anything he walked into Sam Houston State and GA Southern with ready made rosters. He has never built a program from the ground up and doesn't look like he will at Tulane.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-857894-page-5.html
If it's true that he's not been responsible for building a program from the ground up, that might be part of the problem you're witnessing in year three.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Um, no way gc is better than Banks. Banks has heroic performances and he has ones where he craps the bed. The o-line certainly has a lot to do with bank’s performance, and the lack of performance. Things like starting redshirt seniors that are supposed to be blocking and not even touching any defenders or Banks getting hit from his blindside mutiple times in a quarter are problems. But there are other things like Banks throwing into triple coverage or onehanding the football while being chased is also another problem. I think it’s a mixture of both.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

memo to TD....DO NOT schedule Troy State...they just beat the Nebraska Cornholers
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm Who and what was said by a player? I guess he thinks we are the tops because we played in the Rose Bowl in the past. We also had a president who painted his head with lead green paint. Losing to a team who restarted football two years ago! That would be impossible—-but we can do the impossible. I had hopes before the season because of the hype. But it’s the same old Tulane. UAB started with zero. We started in the negative. The negative for 15 years
Banks and Mooney both referred to UAB as a lower level team this week in an article in the Advocate.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I just looked up the pre-game comments that bothered me from earlier this week. Jonathan Banks told the New Orleans Advocate "They (the Blazers) are a lower team than us, but we are playing them anyway. We just have to emphasize it more that we really have to come out and don't take these guys lightly." I can't believe the starting quarterback comes out and says garbage like this. After today, we are clearly a lower team than UAB and pretty much anyone else playing Division One football.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm
Um, no way gc is better than Banks. Banks has heroic performances and he has ones where he craps the bed. The o-line certainly has a lot to do with bank’s performance, and the lack of performance. Things like starting redshirt seniors that are supposed to be blocking and not even touching any defenders or Banks getting hit from his blindside mutiple times in a quarter are problems. But there are other things like Banks throwing into triple coverage or onehanding the football while being chased is also another problem. I think it’s a mixture of both.
Not a huge defender of the Oline especially Briggs, but a lot of the hits on Banks are self-imposed. i.e. learn to step up in the pocket under pressure (even the idiotic Facebook announcers got that right), and on an RPO read, throw the damn ball to one of the slants or backs, don't hold it for 5 seconds, the linemen are run blocking on that play for God sakes. To Win's earlier comments, I don't think Willie walks on water - I really blame him for betting this season on Banks. Even going back last year, Banks really wasn't disciplined (ECU, Houston, and the last play against SMU when he rolled the wrong way). He had flashes of brilliance but not a consistent winner. Yep, that is on Willie.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm
I've been a big critic of our OL, for years. But today, I counted how long Banks had in the pocket, and on many plays he had 4 or more seconds, and still crapped his pants. Banks inability to see downfield and make quick decisions is a big part of his problem. He also doesn't have good pocket presence, or enough speed to consistently scramble out of trouble. And I won't even get into his inaccurate passing. Some of these announcers talking about Banks playing at "the next level" is a laugh.
Dave breslin
Swell

I’d bench a player for being stupid. These guys are not “above” ANYONE!!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

That UAB team stunk. Tulane is worse.

I highly recommend giving up the fight. It will be a productive choice.