UAB Prediction Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
BC Wave
Swell

If they can run slants, TU 31-28

If they can’t. TU 42-24

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Here's what my head says, and I hope I'm wrong here.

UAB 27
Tulane 21

This game has all the markings of last year's game at FIU. And I don't like the Coaches and Players talking about "taking care of business against a lower team." Army and Houston (under Major Applewhite) are the biggest wins of the Willie Fritz era. Both were at home. Show me you can go on the road and beat a decent (not good, but decent) UAB team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Houma de Wave
Swell

Tulane 38, UAB 28.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:24 pm Here's what my head says, and I hope I'm wrong here.

UAB 27
Tulane 21

This game has all the markings of last year's game at FIU. And I don't like the Coaches and Players talking about "taking care of business against a lower team." Army and Houston (under Major Applewhite) are the biggest wins of the Willie Fritz era. Both were at home. Show me you can go on the road and beat a decent (not good, but decent) UAB team.
D, I really hope not, but for some reason I have a weird feeling about this game. If we can get Dauphine going, I think we will win this handidly 38-17, but if we can’t, then I see us pooping the bed like we did at FIU 24-13. I really hope we have turned the corner on being a bad road team. I’m planning on going to the game, so hopefully we don’t poop the bed and make it a wasted drive from Nola.
sader24
Tsunami

This game is pretty simple to me. If you think Willie Fritz can coach and build a program he should beat a team that just restarted their program from scratch and just lost to Coastal Carolina by 20 pretty handily. I think he can coach and I think he can build a program. I don’t like a lot of his conservative offense, but I think he can coach. If he loses this game, we are in pretty deep sh*t. As in, this program is unsalvageable type sh*t. I think we win easily.
Ruski
Swell

Funny how different the prognosticators around here would sound had we won that OT game. I bet we'd all be convinced of crushing UAB and have a real chance against Ohio St. :lol:

I'll say we win by a TD.
netshorty
Surge

Ruski wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 am Funny how different the prognosticators around here would sound had we won that OT game. I bet we'd all be convinced of crushing UAB and have a real chance against Ohio St. :lol:

I'll say we win by a TD.
Wait you're saying the Wake game wasn't a win because we beat the spread? We count moral victories don't we? But seriously, after watching the Wake game, win or lose, we'd all be delusional is we thought we had a real chance at OSU. And some do think we're going to crush UAB.
netshorty
Surge

sader24 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 am This game is pretty simple to me. If you think Willie Fritz can coach and build a program he should beat a team that just restarted their program from scratch and just lost to Coastal Carolina by 20 pretty handily. I think he can coach and I think he can build a program. I don’t like a lot of his conservative offense, but I think he can coach. If he loses this game, we are in pretty deep sh*t. As in, this program is unsalvageable type sh*t. I think we win easily.
So pushing all chips in on this game? Win and he can coach. Lose and he can't?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:35 am
sader24 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 am This game is pretty simple to me. If you think Willie Fritz can coach and build a program he should beat a team that just restarted their program from scratch and just lost to Coastal Carolina by 20 pretty handily. I think he can coach and I think he can build a program. I don’t like a lot of his conservative offense, but I think he can coach. If he loses this game, we are in pretty deep sh*t. As in, this program is unsalvageable type sh*t. I think we win easily.
I think he means no bowl game this year. Lose here and we could easily be looking at 1-5 to start the year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Last week Coastal Carolina rushed for 296 yards against UAB. Let's hope Saturday will be another marque game for Dauphine. Last year against FIU many on this forum celebrated the "coaching brilliance" of Butch Davis but remember against the Panthers Banks was 5 of 16 for 36 yards and an interception. Most of it was on Banks for missing wide open receivers, not the defensive coaching brilliance of Davis.

Our defense will fight hard, so good games from Banks and Dauphine and we should easily get past this team:

Wave 42

UAB 20
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 am
netshorty wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:35 am
I think he means no bowl game this year. Lose here and we could easily be looking at 1-5 to start the year.
"this program is unsalvagable" sounds like more than just no bowl game this year. But definitely agree that a bowl game would be extremely difficult with a loss here.
Wave755
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 am Funny how different the prognosticators around here would sound had we won that OT game. I bet we'd all be convinced of crushing UAB and have a real chance against Ohio St. :lol:

I'll say we win by a TD.
If Encalade makes the catch against Wake, Fritz is a genus! :thumbup:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 am Last week Coastal Carolina rushed for 296 yards against UAB. Let's hope Saturday will be another marque game for Dauphine. Last year against FIU many on this forum celebrated the "coaching brilliance" of Butch Davis but remember against the Panthers Banks was 5 of 16 for 36 yards and an interception. Most of it was on Banks for missing wide open receivers, not the defensive coaching brilliance of Davis.

Our defense will fight hard, so good games from Banks and Dauphine and we should easily get past this team:

Wave 42

UAB 20
Last year FIU got beat pretty good on the road at Middle Tennessee the week before FIU made Tulane look bad. This UAB team, despite being in their second season after not playing football for two years, is every bit as good as FIU. There are many parallels between this game and the one versus FIU last year. Let's hope this BS talk about UAB being a "lower team" is not in our players' heads. If it is, the results will be similar to the FIU game.

And win or lose this week, it will have ZERO impact on how good a coach Willie Fritz is.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 am Last week Coastal Carolina rushed for 296 yards against UAB. Let's hope Saturday will be another marque game for Dauphine. Last year against FIU many on this forum celebrated the "coaching brilliance" of Butch Davis but remember against the Panthers Banks was 5 of 16 for 36 yards and an interception. Most of it was on Banks for missing wide open receivers, not the defensive coaching brilliance of Davis.

Wave 42

UAB 20
Last year FIU got beat pretty good on the road at Middle Tennessee the week before FIU made Tulane look bad. This UAB team, despite being in their second season after not playing football for two years, is every bit as good as FIU. There are many parallels between this game and the one versus FIU last year. Let's hope this BS talk about UAB being a "lower team" is not in our players' heads. If it is, the results will be similar to the FIU game.

And win or lose this week, it will have ZERO impact on how good a coach Willie Fritz is.
Let's hope Banks is "on" for Saturday, I know that FIU game performance from last year must be "stuck in his craw." I agree, this is just about where we were for last year but let's hope for a very different result. Dauphine could be the difference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Let's hope Banks is "on" for Saturday, I know that FIU game performance from last year must be "stuck in his craw." I agree, this is just about where we were for last year but let's hope for a very different result. Dauphine could be the difference.
+1

IF everyone does their job including limited drops by the receivers, the O-line holding their blocks long enough at the point of attack, and the D staying strong, we win this game, possibly going away. But I'm with our friend "Show Me" until they do so regularly. I challenge the team to SHOW ME!

ROLL WAVE!

:wink: :clap: :)
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:39 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 pm
+1

IF everyone does their job including limited drops by the receivers, the O-line holding their blocks long enough at the point of attack, and the D staying strong, we win this game, possibly going away. But I'm with our friend "Show Me" until they do so regularly. I challenge the team to SHOW ME!

ROLL WAVE!

:wink: :clap: :)
Been waiting for years to retire the name but so far it’s been impossible.
GretnaGreen
Low Tide

Tulane 32
Alabama-Birmingham 27
2ndGenWave
High Tide

Tulane: 35
UAB: 16

If we run the ball between the tackles, if not it can start sliding the other way.
netshorty
Surge

I don't understand this take. I think this is an important game for WF. Each game contributes to his body of work. In that sense it does impact how good a coach is. If referring to his legacy at previous schools then maybe that isn't impacted. But as it relates to success at Tulane, every game, some more than others, impact how good he is. Is it catastrophic if we lose? That may be an overreaction, maybe not. But taking care of business on the road against a G5 team where you are favored is an indicator of how good you are.
TXWave88
Surge

netshorty wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am
I don't understand this take. I think this is an important game for WF. Each game contributes to his body of work. In that sense it does impact how good a coach is. If referring to his legacy at previous schools then maybe that isn't impacted. But as it relates to success at Tulane, every game, some more than others, impact how good he is. Is it catastrophic if we lose? That may be an overreaction, maybe not. But taking care of business on the road against a G5 team where you are favored is an indicator of how good you are.
I agree. Losing one game doesnt make or break a career, but he was hired by Tulane to turn things around. It is year 3. Turning things around starts by winning games like these. We all want to win national championships, but that is not what WF was hired to do. UAB is not a pushover. They lost to Coastal Carolina. Every team in CUSA drops bonehead games. We did it constantly and still do it. Should we win this game? We should. Will it take good coaching to win? Yes it will. After last season, we all hope were seeing the changes. Hopefully we will continue to see that this Saturday.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TXWave88 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am
netshorty wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am
I agree. Losing one game doesnt make or break a career, but he was hired by Tulane to turn things around. It is year 3. Turning things around starts by winning games like these. We all want to win national championships, but that is not what WF was hired to do. UAB is not a pushover. They lost to Coastal Carolina. Every team in CUSA drops bonehead games. We did it constantly and still do it. Should we win this game? We should. Will it take good coaching to win? Yes it will. After last season, we all hope were seeing the changes. Hopefully we will continue to see that this Saturday.
When a man has been coaching 20+ years, one road game against a team that is probably as good as the program he's coaching, does not make or break his coaching record. If we win by 50 or lose by 50 it doesn't change how good of a coach Willie Fritz is one iota.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave 31

UAB 24

I agree the comments are bothersome. Our teams are so desperate for wins that when they get one they act like they have conquered the world. Then we lose yet another game we should win. They have talked the talk so now they must walk the walk.

This is absolutely a big game for WF and his staff. He and they have only been at this level for 5 years and really only at the level of FBS that we are for 3 years. He keeps saying he got hired to win. Again it's time to walk the walk.

May we be walking proudly Saturday afternoon.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am [

When a man has been coaching 20+ years, one road game against a team that is probably as good as the program he's coaching, does not make or break his coaching record. If we win by 50 or lose by 50 it doesn't change how good of a coach Willie Fritz is one iota.
Doesn't make sense at all. He has been coaching at the "P6" level for 26 games, with 10 wins. His success at the lower levels {the 20+ years) is nice, but he has yet to prove he's a good coach at this level. And it is different. I'm not saying he's a bad coach. But can't believe anyone would think a game like this upcoming week isn't important in defining his success, which is what defines a good coach.
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:24 pm Here's what my head says, and I hope I'm wrong here.

UAB 27
Tulane 21

Pretty much what I am thinking! Tulane should not be dissing anyone!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UAB 27
Tulane 21

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981