Volleyball 2018

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 pm Major game for Tulane on the road vs the #1 Wichita State Shocker team. I just read they are expecting a sell out crowd which is around 10,000.
When i loknar the stats Tulane has a real shot at pulling the upset. We’ll see how this young team responds to that type of atmosphere.

There is a link on the WSU to watch the game.
WSU is the favorite in the Conference, though they come into the match at 5-6. They've lost 6 of their last 7, but 4 of those were against top 15 competition including a loss to #1 Stanford.

It appears you can watch for free here:

https://www.yurview.com/tulane-vs-wichi ... ll-9-21-18

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
localvb
High Tide

Tulane goes on the road in front of 5000 fans and takes on the #1 team in the league. Up 5-1 in the 5th set Tulane loses a nail biter 15-12. Losing 3-2.
What a statement this young team made. Starting 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores!!! They beat WSU in Hitting and Blocking stats but couldn’t put them away. This would have possibly been the biggest upset in conference history. WSU hasn’t dropped a match since joining the league. They are 21-0.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Having watched my first volleyball match in years, I have to say it was impressive. Not knowing the game very well, the two downfalls I thought Tulane had were 1. Too many serve errors and 2. played balls that were either clearly wide or going long. WSU was better on both counts, and from my less-than-knowledgeable eyes, that was the difference. WSU is very young and had a huge roster turnover as well, according to the announcers. They won't march through the conference like a year ago, but if they do, let's hope for a rematch in the AAC tourney finals!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
localvb
High Tide

Tulane was up 12-11 in the 5th set. That shows this team is for real. The announcer said the refs missed a clear overlap by WSU on that point which would have given Tulane a 13-11 lead. Complete easy miss by the refs. Tough to get the calls on the road.
So close!!!!
anEngineer
Riptide

Opening conference with 2 losses is kind of what happened last year once we got to AAC play. I understand we had a major injury to Kristen Thompson but is this year going to be similar to what happened last year?
localvb
High Tide

Who knows. They are starting 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores.
If you watched the Wichita game Tulane was ahead in the 5th set and almost beat the #1 team on the road. They are much better than last year.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Where is the volleyball guy? The women are 0-4 in conference on their way to the bottom just like last year. What’s the problem?
localvb
High Tide

Well hello Mr Sunshine.
Tulane is losing close sets that they were winning in the non conference games. If you look at the stats Benoit went from leading the conference in blocks and hitting to the botttom once conference started. Don’t know if she got injured or what but that’s a big difference.
Also, if you evaluate who they’ve played so far: all 4 opponents are the #1, #2, #4, #5 teams in the league in rpi. Tulane is #6. Tulane ow has a favorable schedule because they only play those 4 teams 1 time. They will play the rest of the teams 2x for a total of 14 matches left in the season.
They have to right the ship but a potential run is possible. But who knows they start 4 freshmen and 2 sophomores.
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:36 pm Where is the volleyball guy? The women are 0-4 in conference on their way to the bottom just like last year. What’s the problem?
Giving someone who provides information to this board a hard time? Nice.
Volleyball has recruited well, is a young team and the coach works hard (in contrast to certain others who sit on the beach).
Keep it coming localvb.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane beats Memphis on the road.
Memphis beat Ole Miss. nice win!
localvb
High Tide

Wave beats SMU tonight!!!!!
That’s a program builder. The two programs compete for a lot of the same recruits. This will go a long way!!!

Huge win. Big night for Hansel. 20 kills!!
localvb
High Tide

Just read this on Twitter. The game today at 1pm is on Cox sports Chanel 34 I believe.
Vs Houston.
anEngineer
Riptide

Nice to see the Wave get some airtime in a hard-fought victory.
localvb
High Tide

Yes. Was a great win in 4 sets. The 2nd and 3rd set was close. The 4th, Tulane slammed it closed with a dominate win.
9-2 at Home.
localvb
High Tide

Big impressive win on the road at UCONN. A sweep 3-0 at that.
That move Tulane out of the middle of the conference pack and in the top half.
4 conference wins in a row!
localvb
High Tide

That’s 5 in a row! Another great sweep of Temple on the road. The team is on fire. And that’s with 4 freshmen starting!!!
alumniwave
Low Tide

Reading the pre-season info this years team was picked 11th and it looks like the reason was they are extremely young. Half way thru conference they are in 4th and on a 5 match win streak. And as sited above with 4 freshmen starting. Outstanding!
17-7 with 9 games left. Great time to be peaking.
localvb
High Tide

If you haven’t been to a game I suggest you go tonight and Sunday. This team is officially on the ncaa bubble and a win vs Cinci would likely seal them in.
And their style of play is super exciting. Some of the fastest athletes I’ve seen in volleyball.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane VB wins their 6th conference match in a row! Vs #5 ECU.
Now a big match on Sunday vs #2 Cinci.

Tulane at 18-7 for the season and peaking at the right time.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Wonderful! Great to see a Tulane team finally having success. Go Ladies!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Congrats to the young ladies...to all of the Mom and Dad's...this is a great activity to bring your children to...fast paced, and outstanding sportsmanship......no trash talk, just really good team spirit from both sides of the Net...and some damn good play goin' on.....on a side note...you are very close to the action, the kids will love being "involved"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Localvb, I've got a 10 year old granddaughter who just made her VB all-star team. I know she would be excited to attend the game tomorrow. Are the tickets general admission? Can you park in the Loyola garage?
galvezwave
Swell

Thank you ladies.
localvb
High Tide

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 am Localvb, I've got a 10 year old granddaughter who just made her VB all-star team. I know she would be excited to attend the game tomorrow. Are the tickets general admission? Can you park in the Loyola garage?

Yes and Yes. Cheap tickets to.
She will love it!

Adults they have good food and beer as well!
localvb
High Tide

7th win in a row! Cinci is #25 in rpi and picked #1 in the pre-season poll. One of the biggest wins in Tulane VB history.
And it was a dominant win! And Tulane is doing it starting 4 freshmen.

I watched on TV and it looked like the gym maybe had 200 people in there. That’s too bad. The students need to wake up and support this team.