Wave beats the Wave ,loses to Wake Forest in OT 23-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3147
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 am

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:46 am
We didn’t need this win
We NEED every win. Always have, always will.


Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am
This Staff coached "Not to Lose"...or "To Keep it Close'.... they had no clue on how to win
No question here. In fact there was a huge pep rally by the team on the sidelines at :00 like they had won the game. But the fact was it was only tied and the team was just happy to go to overtime.
capwave
High Tide
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 am

Only two things I took from this game as a positive:

1) Corey Dauphine is our best running back. Give him the damn ball!
2)Jeffrey Johnson is the real deal. His push was incredible. When De’Andre Williams replaced him he went backwards. The two are not even comparable.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 am

Show Me wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 am
I’m now more concerned about our offense than defense. Out 2 long TD’s were on busted plays.
This! The offensive issues were astounding for a program that has kept the same staff together for three years, has a returning starting QB, and has some talent at WR/RB.
User avatar
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 1533
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:43 am

I have had about 12 hours to soak in what happened last night and frankly, I am VERY disappointed in this team and coaching staff. Listening to the post game, the comments of the coaches, players and broadcast staff are EXACTLY those of many past years. "We made too many mistakes, missed too many opportunities, didn't execute when we had to, have to regroup, there is still plenty of football left, we still have our goals ahead of us" and on and on. This was supposed to be, by many accounts, our "breakout" years, Well, all I saw was "breakdowns.' We knew they were going to run that wide receiver slant and still couldn't stop it. Banks was very erratic and inconsistent. He continues to believe that he can run out of every situation. And what is with No. 26 on defense? He lets a receiver get behind him on a 3rd and forever at a crucial time in the game. Then on the very next play he commits a personal foul . Oh and not to mention NO form of pass rush or pressure on the quarterback,

To say the least, I am VERY disgusted. It's like time stands still and we continually do the same things over and over to take us out of the game. At this point in the Fritz era, this is totally unacceptable.

Nothing really more too say. We did not look like a well coached team and it is apparent that we still lack athletes.....just an ongoing, year after year saga.

To Tulane football, you continue to drive fans away and keep others from becoming interested in the program.

Our motto, "Same ole Tulane" continues to rear its ugly head, ,
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 am

First games have become like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...
A takeaway that I have from this game is how important full-contact practices have become. It is mind-boggling for me to see how many times players are practicing in shorts, t-shirts/shells & helmets during Spring & Fall camp. There are only a handful of opportunities to actually go live in practice. I understand that this is mandated by the NCAA, but my God how do coaches evaluate players and teach execution in shorts & t-shirts? I would hate to be a coach in today's game.
A long time ago the first day of Spring drills we were in shorts & shells, thereafter every day was in full gear and every drill was live with the exception of Sundays after scrimmages (we were in shells).
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3147
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 pm

You've all dissected the game, and I agree with everything that has been said 100%. Off the field, the biggest thing that stands out to me as of late is how similar our posts are to the other board, and vice versa. This losing has been going on for too damn long, and the green-colored glasses have all but faded for everyone.

I truly believe in its current state, Tulane Athletics is in trouble.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:35 pm

I am tired of seeing how both TDs were on busted plays. They were certainly not. The first was a scramble play, not a busted play, but the distinction can be argued. The second was clearly a called pump and go. The corner had been jumping that route and almost picked one off earlier. You can see Banks pump fake almost immediately, then Encalade takes off. The safety saw what was happening, but Encalade was too fast for him to get over in time. I wasn't happy with the way the offense was run either, but this was a case where the coaches did take advantage of an opponent's tendency during the game.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:03 am
It's amazing that Willie Fitz administration is the only FBS football coaching administration that has been completely intact since 2016, but it's simultaneously disappointing given that what happened yesterday is the best that could be done with that.


Bet some bail after this season. This program is not going anywhere and if I
was a recruit, I would be wondering about Fritz as well.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
User avatar
chain gang x man
Swell
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 pm
Location: Destrehan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:56 pm

Show Me wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am
This Staff coached "Not to Lose"...or "To Keep it Close'.... they had no clue on how to win
No question here. In fact there was a huge pep rally by the team on the sidelines at :00 like they had won the game. But the fact was it was only tied and the team was just happy to go to overtime.
They were cheering because we had recovered a fumble and everyone thought there was one second left on the clock which would have given us one play
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:01 pm

Games like last night are why I just laugh when people tell me “stop complaining about the baseball program, Dannen is focused on building a top 25 football program.”
It ain’t happening
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:03 pm

chain gang x man wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:56 pm
Show Me wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am
This Staff coached "Not to Lose"...or "To Keep it Close'.... they had no clue on how to win
No question here. In fact there was a huge pep rally by the team on the sidelines at :00 like they had won the game. But the fact was it was only tied and the team was just happy to go to overtime.
They were cheering because we had recovered a fumble and everyone thought there was one second left on the clock which would have given us one play
Not so. Watch 2:29:30 forward.
phpBB [video]
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Here's the drive log. abbreviated to show last set of downs for each drive.

DRIVE 1 – 1st & 10 at WF 26 – LOST 9 YARDS, PUNT FROM 35
DRIVE 2 – 1st & 10 at WF 35 – NO GAIN, PUNT FROM 35 (3 & OUT)
DRIVE 3 – 1st & 10 at WF 44 – GAIN 6 YARDS, PUNT FROM 38 on 4th &4.
DRIVE 4 – 3 and OUT
DRIVE 5 – 1st & 10 at WF 49 – GAIN 2 YARDS, PUNT FROM 47 (3 & OUT)
DRIVE 6 – 1st & 10 at WF 41 – LOSE 5 YARDS, PUNT FROM 46
DRIVE 7 – HALF (1 play) -Not counted in totals
DRIVE 8 – TD on busted 3rd and 15 play. Nice scramble and find by Banks to Encalade
DRIVE 9 – 1 1st down by penalty. Punt.
DRIVE 10 – TD on 74 yard stop and go route. Nice play and execution.
DRIVE 11 – 1st & 10 at WF 42. GAIN 3 YARDS, PUNT FROM 39
DRIVE 12 – FG resulted from going for it on 4th &11 at WF 37 with 6:05 left in the game.
DRIVE 13 – 1st & 10 at WF 36. LOSE 2 YARDS, PUNT from 38
DRIVE 14 (OT) – 1st & 10 from WF 25. LOSE 15 YARDS, FAILED 4TH DOWN ATT.

4 of 13 drives 3 and out (inc. OT drive, 4 and out)
8 of 13 drives had us coming away with no points after having 1st down in WF territory. 5 punts inside the WF 40!

I was surprised by TOP - Tulane 34:55 - WF 25:05.
But I guess when you run a play every few seconds you don't each much clock. WF scoring and sustanted drives
14 plays, 85 yards in 3:51 (Missed FG)
14 plays, 80 yards in 4:02 (TD)
11 plays, 59 yards in 3:29 (FG)
9 plays, 78 yards in 1:59 (TD)
7 plays, 78 yards in 2:00 (INT)
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12625
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Just wanted to clear this up over some public comments by Mack. His memory is a little fuzzy. He didn't work out of a trailer. He worked out of the Ben Weiner building which was a two story metal building. Also, we had a 100 yard field or as golf would point out 12o yards plus some lagniappe beyond that and it was surrounded by the track. it's always been there until they built the stadium there. So players weren't running from natural turf onto artificial turf.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8117
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 pm

winwave wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm
Just wanted to clear this up over some public comments by Mack. His memory is a little fuzzy. He didn't work out of a trailer. He worked out of the Ben Weiner building which was a two story metal building. Also, we had a 100 yard field or as golf would point out 12o yards plus some lagniappe beyond that and it was surrounded by the track. it's always been there until they built the stadium there. So players weren't running from natural turf onto artificial turf.
winwave U are correct...remember the old "intramural gym"...when it was to be torn down, because of the Reily Ctr being built... I told Mack they needed to claim it as the IPF facility..it would not have cost much to convert it to a synthetic turf...but then again I did attend public schools in Jeff Parish
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12625
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:21 pm

The first TD by Banks was definitely a busted play. It was not a designed rollout. Though as I said last year with our pathetic excuse for an O-Line we should intentionally roll our QB's out. It's a big difference when one QB has time and wide open receivers and one is under constant duress and his receivers aren't getting any separation. As often the case people tend to focus solely on the QB's.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12625
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:01 pm
Games like last night are why I just laugh when people tell me “stop complaining about the baseball program, Dannen is focused on building a top 25 football program.”
It ain’t happening
All AD's need to be focused on building up the football program. We need to hope he finds a way to succeed. If we don't have football we don't have baseball. We'd be out of the AAC and without football would likely end up in the Southland as CUSA and I think the Sunbelt would require football. No one's paying to see that plus imagine how difficult that would be to recruit to. More importantly just b/c the AD is focused on the major sports doesn't mean he/she can't look out for baseball too. In the late 90's we had the two major sports winning and it didn't hurt the baseball program other than when we left Saturday afternoon baseball games to make tip-off.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12625
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1634
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:36 pm

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:01 am
I'm sure if I went back and dug up my comments from the first couple of games from each year of Fritz, CuJo, and Toledo, they would be pretty appropriate again this year. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I saw NOTHING in this first game that makes me feel any different than past years.
I feel the same way. I was actually excited about Toledo and CJ when they were hired. I was wrong about both turning us into Bowl going programs. This time, I wanted to let the coach show what he was all about before I decide to jump on the bandwagon.

Right now, I think it’s going to be tough to win 5 games. We just don’t have the weapons we need to win wars. Wake was extremely beatable. We have to win these types of game if we want to see better attendance numbers. Yes Wake could be a solid P5 team this year, but they would be 0-1 had they played a G5 that knows how to get the job done.

I am very disappointed. I sure hope we find stride. Fritz needs to show me that he has the formula for Tulane to win because right now, I see a 4-8 season.
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:22 am

netshorty wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:28 pm
Here's the drive log. abbreviated to show last set of downs for each drive.

DRIVE 1 – 1st & 10 at WF 26 – LOST 9 YARDS, PUNT FROM 35
DRIVE 2 – 1st & 10 at WF 35 – NO GAIN, PUNT FROM 35 (3 & OUT)
DRIVE 3 – 1st & 10 at WF 44 – GAIN 6 YARDS, PUNT FROM 38 on 4th &4.
DRIVE 4 – 3 and OUT
DRIVE 5 – 1st & 10 at WF 49 – GAIN 2 YARDS, PUNT FROM 47 (3 & OUT)
DRIVE 6 – 1st & 10 at WF 41 – LOSE 5 YARDS, PUNT FROM 46
DRIVE 7 – HALF (1 play) -Not counted in totals
DRIVE 8 – TD on busted 3rd and 15 play. Nice scramble and find by Banks to Encalade
DRIVE 9 – 1 1st down by penalty. Punt.
DRIVE 10 – TD on 74 yard stop and go route. Nice play and execution.
DRIVE 11 – 1st & 10 at WF 42. GAIN 3 YARDS, PUNT FROM 39
DRIVE 12 – FG resulted from going for it on 4th &11 at WF 37 with 6:05 left in the game.
DRIVE 13 – 1st & 10 at WF 36. LOSE 2 YARDS, PUNT from 38
DRIVE 14 (OT) – 1st & 10 from WF 25. LOSE 15 YARDS, FAILED 4TH DOWN ATT.

4 of 13 drives 3 and out (inc. OT drive, 4 and out)
8 of 13 drives had us coming away with no points after having 1st down in WF territory. 5 punts inside the WF 40!

I was surprised by TOP - Tulane 34:55 - WF 25:05.
But I guess when you run a play every few seconds you don't each much clock. WF scoring and sustanted drives
14 plays, 85 yards in 3:51 (Missed FG)
14 plays, 80 yards in 4:02 (TD)
11 plays, 59 yards in 3:29 (FG)
9 plays, 78 yards in 1:59 (TD)
7 plays, 78 yards in 2:00 (INT)
First drive started on our own 30. 1st play throw to Encalade for 5 yards. 2nd play a poor throw behind the receiver. 3rd play a pitch outside to Encalade for 30+ yards. Next set of downs start with another broken pass play. Then Briggs with a false start, 2nd and 15 and Banks misses the read to hand off instead loses another 5 yards. 3rd and 19 Banks makes a perfect throw on Encalade running down the sideline, Encalade lets it bounce off his chest.

Encalade catches that ball and the whole game changes. But he didn't.

WF showed in the first drive he wanted to flip the script. Everyone expected us to come out and pound the ball, instead we threw the hell out of it. Wake Forest adjusted. Once they figured us out, Fritz didn't adjust. Game over.

This offense isn't gonna win by pretending to be Texas Tech.

Sad to see such a valiant effort by the defense squandered. We should've won this game by 2 scores.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17996
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:08 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 pm
winwave wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm
Just wanted to clear this up over some public comments by Mack. His memory is a little fuzzy. He didn't work out of a trailer. He worked out of the Ben Weiner building which was a two story metal building. Also, we had a 100 yard field or as golf would point out 12o yards plus some lagniappe beyond that and it was surrounded by the track. it's always been there until they built the stadium there. So players weren't running from natural turf onto artificial turf.
winwave U are correct...remember the old "intramural gym"...when it was to be torn down, because of the Reily Ctr being built... I told Mack they needed to claim it as the IPF facility..it would not have cost much to convert it to a synthetic turf...but then again I did attend public schools in Jeff Parish
Golf I used to work in that gym to help fund my tuition it was called “Favrot Fieldhouse”. A nice facility. Dr Harvey Jessup was my boss. Great guy. I reloaded shotgun shells and cleaned guns for the skeet and trap PE class. I can’t imagine a school having that today. We had gun powder, ammunition and firearms all over the place back then. And yes there were no mass shootings. and no one ever got killed. Lol
And more importantly Tulane FB was a consistent winner with a great schedule and drew around 45,000 a game in the Dome (we even needed the Terrace Upper Level back then) Boy have times changed.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
MicMan
Surge
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am

winwave wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm
Just wanted to clear this up over some public comments by Mack. His memory is a little fuzzy. He didn't work out of a trailer. He worked out of the Ben Weiner building which was a two story metal building. Also, we had a 100 yard field or as golf would point out 12o yards plus some lagniappe beyond that and it was surrounded by the track. it's always been there until they built the stadium there. So players weren't running from natural turf onto artificial turf.
Not Ben Weiner, it was the Monk Simons building when I was there. Played a lot of intramural hoops in Favrot, had my photo on the wall for winning the intramural field goal contest senior year -- 49 yards!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8117
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 am

MicMan wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am
winwave wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm
Just wanted to clear this up over some public comments by Mack. His memory is a little fuzzy. He didn't work out of a trailer. He worked out of the Ben Weiner building which was a two story metal building. Also, we had a 100 yard field or as golf would point out 12o yards plus some lagniappe beyond that and it was surrounded by the track. it's always been there until they built the stadium there. So players weren't running from natural turf onto artificial turf.
Not Ben Weiner, it was the Monk Simons building when I was there. Played a lot of intramural hoops in Favrot, had my photo on the wall for winning the intramural field goal contest senior year -- 49 yards!
It was the Monk Simons building...if memory serves there was a large Tulane logo of some type on the front of the building...anyone have Pic's...fyi...one of the best looking Ladies I ever met worked there....she was the one I called when the Texas staff showed me SC's letter of droping football.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12625
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:02 am

MicMan wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am
winwave wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm
Just wanted to clear this up over some public comments by Mack. His memory is a little fuzzy. He didn't work out of a trailer. He worked out of the Ben Weiner building which was a two story metal building. Also, we had a 100 yard field or as golf would point out 12o yards plus some lagniappe beyond that and it was surrounded by the track. it's always been there until they built the stadium there. So players weren't running from natural turf onto artificial turf.
Not Ben Weiner, it was the Monk Simons building when I was there. Played a lot of intramural hoops in Favrot, had my photo on the wall for winning the intramural field goal contest senior year -- 49 yards!
Thanks. I couldn't remember the name and was discussing it with tps and I was thinking Mintz or Weiner. He thought Weiner. Both wrong. :lol:
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12625
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:12 am

anEngineer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 am
I would agree with most comments (the reasonable ones) about the offense in that is was puzzling why we didn't try to run outside more. There was some success there the times we did it, but it didn't seem to be part of the game plan. Also, where are all the clowns who have been screaming for 2 years that we don't pass enough? Last night was a pass-first offense and Banks doesn't have the accuracy or consistency for that. The one caveat I will throw out there is that all off-season, it has all been about Banks not getting hurt. Having him passing instead of running is the best way to accomplish that. It will be interesting to see if that philosophy changes once McMillen is considered ready to play. We may see Banks running more because there is less fear of injury. Banks fits last year's offense, not this one.
What people wanted was a balanced offense. The run dominant offense sure wasn't working and when we opened it up and balanced it last year we started winning. Thursday we ran it 42 times and threw it 37. That's balanced and we were right there with a chance to beat a P5. We got our scores off of long passes. We should have had a third score off of a nice pass. As I've said people focus too much on the QB. Our line failed us again. To me they were the most disappointing aspect. I was hopeful our line might actually be decent with the transfer and Dublin moving to center. Instead they looked like they have for the past 10 or so years. It's beyond frustrating to continue to have one of the worst O-Lines in the nation.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Post Reply