Wave beats the Wave ,loses to Wake Forest in OT 23-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Not one of WF’s better er nights.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
netshorty
Surge

Always come thru with a let down
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Two words: hot seat.
greenie78
Riptide

Choke job
greenie78
Riptide

Typical Tulane performance.

Banks just runs around with no real feel for the passing game.

Defense played hard and well.
greenphantom
Swell

Typical Tulane. At least we are not the joke we were under CJ, but the play calling tonight was atrocious.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am at loss for words...I guess i need to start drinking again....Wake was better than I thought and Tulane was not as good as I hoped
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:08 pm Banks has been bad so far. Defense is playing well but getting no support from the offense.
McMillan should be starting by mid year.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Banks, and rhe offense is awful.
sader24
Tsunami

That game should’ve been won. I don’t understand the offensive gameplan and strategy. It all bewilders me. That game was there to be had.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 pm That game should’ve been won. I don’t understand the offensive gameplan and strategy. It all bewilders me. That game was there to be had.
History says otherwise, until we learn how to win we won’t win. I’ve seen this too many years.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

Bradwell & Huderson were fantastic disappointments tonight. Badie & Hilliard were sorely missed. Our QB spent most of the night pulling plays out of his backside.
Our defense showed up and played well enough to win. Coach McCleskey has done a wonderful job with the corners & nickles. We are young up front on defense and it showed as we played it safe, a few twists here and there up-front in the fourth quarter but that was about it. Zach Harris is a bonafide badass.
We need some turnover in key playing & coaching positions on offense, it was a sh*t show, Wake Forest should have lost.
netshorty
Surge

sader24 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 pm That game should’ve been won. I don’t understand the offensive gameplan and strategy. It all bewilders me. That game was there to be had.
We'll hear a good excuse.
Year 1 - no QB on the team had taken a meaningful snap (just like Wake's qb) and GC didn't fit WF mold. So WF prolific offense was pathetic.
Year 2 - QB learning the system, offensive line terrible and thus WF prolific offense was pathetic.
Year 3 - probably because we lost stud backs, blah blah blah, WF prolific offense is pathetic.

Guys WF in his own words said he tailors his offense to his personnel. He didn't do that in year 1. He struggled in year 2.. So I guess that means if his personnel sucks he tailors an offense to suck. I agree we're not a joke as we were under CJ, but we're not good either. Punting a half dozen times when inside your opponents 40 is a joke. The overtime possession was one of the worst ever (outside of a turnover)..we threw 37 passes and our backs had 25 attempts for 77 yards. There'll teach us for complaining about 75% run plays.

Let's pat ourselves on the back for beating the point spread and losing a game we were 'supposed to lose*.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Unless WF is a top 20 team we stink. Thank goodness for Tulsa and ECU. We could easily be 2 - 10.
Despite the eight dropped passes, penalties, atrocious OL play and even worse pass defense, and our inability to move the ball once we got on the Wake side of field except for Banks' two broken play TD passes and the FG we were still in the game until the grad transfer from Southern Alabama made the worst play of the game in OT. Can he be returned to Southern Alabama ?
Only Banks played well tonight despite having no protection. Accolades to him.

With nine months to think about this game it appeared that as badly as our players played the coaches prepared them even more badly. No apparent game plan, or if there was one it was a total failure.
And with a running game that is a shadow of what it has been for Coach Fritz a 2 - 10 season is totally realistic.

Ugh.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:13 pm
History says otherwise, until we learn how to win we won’t win. I’ve seen this too many years.
Neuheisel and Brian Jones post-gane were pretty hard on Tulane and Fritz for losing that game and losing our identity on offense. Stupid mistakes and questionable play calling... Commented it's great to be in close games but got to l3wrn how to win...
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Tulane Athletics = Sad
JerseyWave
Riptide

Forget the Banks is a draft prospect nonsense. He’s not!

Too many blown opportunities in the first half. What the hell was the game plan? Why didn’t we give the ball to our running backs more often early in the game? Why didn’t Dauphine get more touches?

One minute to go, game tied, we have the ball on their side of the field, first down, two time outs.....and we have to punt!

Good luck finding Six wins on this schedule the way the offense performed tonight. The game plan was bad. The play calling was bad. The execution was bad.
Dupergreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:00 pm
greenie78 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:08 pm Banks has been bad so far. Defense is playing well but getting no support from the offense.
McMillan should be starting by mid year.
McMillan cant catch the ball AND throw it..... drops hurt tonight.... Dauphine being in the game for a handful of games hurt.... this wasn't necessarily a MUST win game but it was a definite COULD win game. Tulane better go in raw next week on their opponent to show how pissed they are about tonight.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Can’t believe it was as close as it was. Defense had great timely turnovers to kind of mitigate some of there weaknesses. Man we were so close!! I felt like d played well despite yards allowed, that was high due to our offense having the ball for only 30 seconds and then punting it right back to them. The best d is a good o.

WR had way too many drops. RB and running game did not look good. Was extremely clear dauphine is a p5 type player in his limited touches. Another level of athleticism. Hr threat. Need to get him in space, on pitch etc. Was probably best athlete for both teams, pretty obvious with my eyes on tv.

Only TD we really had were on busted plays and not the ones we called. Qb play was bad as well, inaccurate bad decision making. Also he’s not mobile enough for this offense. He also made great plays to cover for poor coaching plays.

Need to run the option more and pitch the ball. Pitched it one time and worked wonders. running game should be built around dauphine. get him the ball and create some space for him.

Offensive play calling was worst I’ve seen in long time, from a basic yards needed vs the play called stanpoint. situational play calling was not good..

Couple of bad calls and game management by hc. Several times we were 4th and short or 3rd and short and we never tried to draw them offsides. Same deal when we let the play clock run out, should at least get them to jump instead of just walking back to sidelines. This game is on the coaches. On to the next.

Kept going for Hail Mary when we only needed 2-3 yards. Establish the run game then hit them over the top. That’s what ttu,Baylor, ou top offenses do. We started out trying to establish passing game and then surprise them with the run on first 4 series.
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Our offensive line continues to suck. Thank god Banks is mobile. Our play calling is an abomination. Our offensive staff has no idea how to utilize our speedsters in space. No idea at all.

Our D sucked against a third string QB. Their line is so overrated. They won't do anything in the ACC.

A terrible start to the season. The stadium will be empty all year once again and the program will lose a lot of money.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dave breslin
Swell

All the hype about our offense was crap. Outside of Terrence Encalade, I didn’t see anything to see improvement. We will never outmuscle a D-1 opponent. We are tulame. Our only way is to out quick them with an offense that’s wide open. And not the run for your life and throw the ball with your eyes closed(wasn’t that a game we played as kids). This is a high school offense And why not slow their offense with fake injuries? We were out coached and out muscled. That’s the bottom line. I did think that Johnson on the DL had a decent game
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 am Our offensive line continues to suck. Thank god Banks is mobile. Our play calling is an abomination. Our offensive staff has no idea how to utilize our speedsters in space. No idea at all.

Our D sucked against a third string QB. Their line is so overrated. They won't do anything in the ACC.

A terrible start to the season. The stadium will be empty all year once again and the program will lose a lot of money.
Their o-line mauled their way to the end zone in OT. As a Thursday night couch qb, the play calling was interesting. I saw some good stuff tonight, but then again I saw a lot of the same stuff from year 1 to now 4 of WF. I'm chalking this one up to first game jitters. Hopefully we have a forceful response against Nichols.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:27 am All the hype about our offense was crap. Outside of Terrence Encalade, I didn’t see anything to see improvement. We will never outmuscle a D-1 opponent. We are tulame. Our only way is to out quick them with an offense that’s wide open. And not the run for your life and throw the ball with your eyes closed(wasn’t that a game we played as kids). This is a high school offense And why not slow their offense with fake injuries? We were out coached and out muscled. That’s the bottom line. I did think that Johnson on the DL had a decent game
Get the F out of here with the HS offense comments. You predicted we show Urban Meyer how far Tulane has improved. We played a game we were significant underdogs, and played it to overtime. We are no better nor no worse than we were 24 hours ago. We lost. We have 11 games left. The team we lost to is widely expected to be about 50 places higher in the D1 rankings than we are. That doesn't mean our coach stinks, our team stinks or the season is lost.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:00 am . The team we lost to is widely expected to be about 50 places higher in the D1 rankings than we are.
For most of the night they looked like a team that might not win another game all year.
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wrong, several experts including athlon had them ranked something like 35th in the country. Yes tonight sucked, yes we should have won, yes banks’ lack of vision has cost us the last two heart breaking games. But show some class, and acknowledge Wake is a team on the way up and they won. If we won it’s what I would expect and what a few of their fans have also shared regarding us. Honestly be mad tonight but don’t be a bunch of trolls, be upset tonight and let’s move on. We didn’t need this win, we could have/should have had it but we do need two wins amongst @UAB/Usf/houston/Memphis