Wave beats the Wave ,loses to Wake Forest in OT 23-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 pm
sader24 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm We couldn’t run the ball because our Offensive Line in the first half couldn’t block anyone. As for Banks on the read option, am I the only one who watches this offense and thinks the coordinator precalls what read he is going to make. He is either the worst read option qb ever and is making the wrong reads or he is the worst read qb ever and the coaches know it so they don’t give him any reads. It’s a preset call under the disguise of read option to try to keep the defense honest. He’s not even considering the second option most of the time If not all the time. It’s why I think the Wake defense was leaving options open bc they were selling out on the play. I think the coaches are calling the read option as a play with a set option and no read on the qb involved. That’s what it looked like to me all night.
I’ve said that before and been called crazy but I believe that this does happen. Not every time but sometimes. Gus Malzahn has been known to do that in the past as well.
It sure looked like the Wake QB was making reads on the run, and Banks had the play pre-determined. That's why I said their true Frosh QB schooled Banks on how to run the RPO. We will agree to disagree about the line play in the first half. They weren't killing it, but it got really bad in the second half. I thought they held their own in the first half.

This is a RPO offense. We need to be able to pick the best option on the fly, as Wake did many times. And if you watched more football over the weekend, there's quite a few other teams running it with less experienced QB's that make better reads in play.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:21 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:51 pm Ok, after having a couple of days to digest what took place, and having watched the game (with the remote and ability to fast forward) again, here's my takeaways:

1. Our offensive line played well in the first half, and wore down to the point where it was downright bad in the 4th quarter.
2. Our passing game is average at best, possibly below average at the skill positions, and needs to have the running game established to be effective.

Here's a quote from you moments after the above (and more) was posted:
As to #'1 and 2 I have to strongly disagree. Our O-line couldn't do anything all night. We started with great field position in the first half several times and went nowhere. They can't pass block and they can't open holes.
You keep insisting that "I was there and had a good view of the entire field, not just what TV shows" is the arrogance I refer to. You don't need a wide angle to see if the qb is pressured or not. When he's standing in the pocket for 4 or 5 seconds, the line is doing at least an ok job. That was the case in the first half but not in the second half. And I'll bet I've been to AT LEAST as many football games in my years as you have. You're not the only one to watch a game from the best seats, which are well above field level (typically about 40-60 feet above) near the middle of the field. Duh.

We punted 4 or 5 times from inside the 40, most of those were in the first half, Very few of those were three and outs. We moved the ball but couldn't convert. There's obviously no confidence in the kicking game. The problems in the first half were that we didn't establish the run, had some terrible passes and I think the number was 5 dropped passes. Encalade had one go through his hands at the goal line. The O-line was the least of the problem areas in the first half, it was downright bad in the second half, when Wake adjusted to our (lousy) game plan.

Again, we need to run the football to be successful. That doesn't mean run 75% of the time. As we saw in the last half of last year, we can be balanced IF WE ESTABLISH THE RUN and make the opponent commit to stopping the run. And yes, our O-line is still dreadful, despite an acceptable first half.
As sader just said we couldn't run block in the first half. Those
FG attempts would have all been 50 or more yards but for one that would have been 45. We started with good field position and didn't move it too much. We never got in the red zone all night. We don't have the line to just go out and establish the run. Teams know that's WF preference and they come out to stop it. Thus the need for us to pass to set up the run. That's what RR did masterfully.

As to #2 I was disagreeing about the need to establish the run to set up the passing game because as I just said again above we don't have the line to do that.

As to our passing game we have two above average receivers in Encalade and Mooney. Clewis is not good. We need Toles and Robertson to step up.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 pm
sader24 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm We couldn’t run the ball because our Offensive Line in the first half couldn’t block anyone. As for Banks on the read option, am I the only one who watches this offense and thinks the coordinator precalls what read he is going to make. He is either the worst read option qb ever and is making the wrong reads or he is the worst read qb ever and the coaches know it so they don’t give him any reads. It’s a preset call under the disguise of read option to try to keep the defense honest. He’s not even considering the second option most of the time If not all the time. It’s why I think the Wake defense was leaving options open bc they were selling out on the play. I think the coaches are calling the read option as a play with a set option and no read on the qb involved. That’s what it looked like to me all night.
I’ve said that before and been called crazy but I believe that this does happen. Not every time but sometimes. Gus Malzahn has been known to do that in the past as well.
That could very well be. It does look that way sometimes. Will be interesting to see if things change when McMillian gets a chance to play.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Very good point Sader. You may well have hit the nail on the head. Culinette (sp) may have also been running predetermined options, because he too couldn’t make a good option decision, now it’s Banks. In the Fritz era, the best option QB was Brantley, he seemed to actually know how to make the reads, and he was clearly a better runner, but he struggled passing. We can only hope McMillam can learn the playbook within the next week or two. Next year we should be able to find a real RPO between McMillan, Keon and Daniels.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 am
Very good point Sader. You may well have hit the nail on the head. Culinette (sp) may have also been running predetermined options, because he too couldn’t make a good option decision, now it’s Banks. In the Fritz era, the best option QB was Brantley, he seemed to actually know how to make the reads, and he was clearly a better runner, but he struggled passing. We can only hope McMillam can learn the playbook within the next week or two. Next year we should be able to find a real RPO between McMillan, Keon and Daniels.
would not be surprised if McMillian is not getting significant playing time by game 3
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

wake goes down to BC 41-34 at home