Page 3 of 4

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35 am
by GreenLantern
At the start of the season, between Cincinnati, USF, and Houston I planned on one upset. I chose USF with no idea they would have such a strong season. Neither did I assume we would be as ineffective on offense.

My 7-5 prediction went out the window with the UAB loss. SMU didn't help much either. We're looking at two teams on our remaining schedule with 7-1 records and two teams with only two wins. Sadly, I think our chances of losing all four games are greater than that of winning all four.

Here's hoping that Opossum Willie can pull a rabbit out of his hat this week. ('Opossum' Willie because he plays dead at home and gets run over when he gets on the road.)

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm
by RobertM320
Of course, lets not ignore the fact that of our five losses, three of them came to schools that are currently 7-1, Its not like we've played the easiest schedule in the country. The real point is, we should have beaten UAB and SMU, and be sitting 5-3, needing only to beat ECU to make a bowl. And we're not..

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:23 pm
by HoustonWave
RobertM320 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm
Of course, lets not ignore the fact that of our five losses, three of them came to schools that are currently 7-1, Its not like we've played the easiest schedule in the country. The real point is, we should have beaten UAB and SMU, and be sitting 5-3, needing only to beat ECU to make a bowl. And we're not..
Absolutely true. We fumbled the UAB and SMU games away, and in doing so perhaps the season. Upsetting Memphis and hopefully USF can get us back in play for 2018.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am
by NOLABigSteve
I originally voted 5, and I think I'm staying there. We have 4 games left, I definitely don't see us winning more than 2.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm
by RobertM320
So let me ask all the 6-6 and 5-7ers: Did any of you project us to beat BOTH Memphis and USF?

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:42 pm
by RobertM320
Just went and looked through all the predictions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I found no one who predicted the MEM win, and the only one who even predicted a win over USF did it with a caveat of "if we lose to Cincy" (dpm wave). That's it. So we've beaten two teams that no one predicted we'd beat at the beginning of the year.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 pm
by winwave
Too bad we lost to the ones many predicted we'd win.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 pm
by tpstulane
RobertM320 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm
So let me ask all the 6-6 and 5-7ers: Did any of you project us to beat BOTH Memphis and USF?
Nope. But sure thought we’d beat SMU at home.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:56 pm
by RobertM320
tpstulane wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm
So let me ask all the 6-6 and 5-7ers: Did any of you project us to beat BOTH Memphis and USF?
Nope. But sure thought we’d beat SMU at home.
Pretty much everyone had us beating SMU, and most had either Wake or Cincy, or both.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 pm
by GreenLantern
RobertM320 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:42 pm
Just went and looked through all the predictions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I found no one who predicted the MEM win, and the only one who even predicted a win over USF did it with a caveat of "if we lose to Cincy" (dpm wave). That's it. So we've beaten two teams that no one predicted we'd beat at the beginning of the year.
Ahem.....the only thing I've correctly predicted this year was a win over USF in my preseason guess. You can always count on Tulane to lose when they shouldn't and win one when they shouldn't. I thought USF would be the most likely road win over a favorite. Truth be told, had I known they would start the year at 7-0, I wouldn't have made that bold choice.

But then again....I picked wins over SMU and UAB.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 pm
by Wave QB
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am
I say we win 5. We'll play up to good competition and down to bad. I just can't do specifics based on the past.

You are one game away from being a genius. Lol.

It hurts to know that we should-could-would be bowl eligible by now had we handled our business. I have a bad feeling about the Navy game. They have found a way to beat us in our last 4 meetings. Hopefully, we can pull it out.


I am glad we are facing Navy over #23 Army.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 am
by tpstulane
Wave QB wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am
I say we win 5. We'll play up to good competition and down to bad. I just can't do specifics based on the past.

You are one game away from being a genius. Lol.

It hurts to know that we should-could-would be bowl eligible by now had we handled our business. I have a bad feeling about the Navy game. They have found a way to beat us in our last 4 meetings. Hopefully, we can pull it out.


I am glad we are facing Navy over #23 Army.
I had us 5-7. But have us beating Navy to get there. I didn’t have us beating USF on the road.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 am
by wave97
Wave QB wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am
I say we win 5. We'll play up to good competition and down to bad. I just can't do specifics based on the past.

You are one game away from being a genius. Lol.

It hurts to know that we should-could-would be bowl eligible by now had we handled our business. I have a bad feeling about the Navy game. They have found a way to beat us in our last 4 meetings. Hopefully, we can pull it out.


I am glad we are facing Navy over #23 Army.
Beside Duke & Oklahoma who has Army played? Their 9-2 record is a complete charade.
Navy should have never joined the AAC. It ultimately will doom their program. Every team in the conference will get their initial ass whooping from the flexbone. But that will change as players and DC's adapt to their novel & arcane scheme.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 am
by DfromCT
I had us struggle early, including losses to Wake Forest and UAB. I didn't predict the USF win, but thought we'd beat SMU and get on a roll, pulling off an upset over Houston ultimately ending at 7-5. So much for my crystal ball.

Beat Navy. Make the WeedEater Bowl or whatever insignificant bowl game we go to, just to say we did go to a bowl game. Most of us thought it was critical to keep Banks healthy, and he didn't give us nearly what we expected going in. I wonder if we stand a chance against a well prepared and well coached mid-Major in a bowl game?

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:41 am
by wave97
Do we have the money to guarantee the gate for a pathetically insignificant bowl game against a Sun Belt opponent who will come into the game with their hair on fire?

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 am
by Wave755
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 am
Most of us thought it was critical to keep Banks healthy, and he didn't give us nearly what we expected going in.
WF spent the spring and summer telling us Banks had a "pro arm" and might go high in the NFL draft as a QB. WF was "blowing smoke up our rear ends."

I didn't believe the pro arm crap but did think Banks would be a much improved and competent quarterback for leading our team this season.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:15 pm
by DfromCT
I read that Willie Fritz said Jonathan has a chance to play on Sunday and a strong arm. I never read that he said he would be a high draft pick. I might have missed it somewhere but those are two totally different statements from a HC. And I don't buy the first, so I certainly don't agree with the second (statement).

We all thought Banks would be much better in year two, and take another step forward as he did late last year. Instead he seems to have taken a step backwards. And McMillan is not very good, at least not at this time with this amount of exposure to the system he's in. Take away the slant and he's got very little. And you know Navy is going to take away the slant.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:41 pm
by tpstulane
Congrats to the 6-6 predictions

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 am
by RobertM320
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:15 pm
I read that Willie Fritz said Jonathan has a chance to play on Sunday and a strong arm. I never read that he said he would be a high draft pick. I might have missed it somewhere but those are two totally different statements from a HC. And I don't buy the first, so I certainly don't agree with the second (statement).

We all thought Banks would be much better in year two, and take another step forward as he did late last year. Instead he seems to have taken a step backwards. And McMillan is not very good, at least not at this time with this amount of exposure to the system he's in. Take away the slant and he's got very little. And you know Navy is going to take away the slant.
McMillan looked a lot better against Navy. 18-29, and I saw a lot of plays that weren't slants. A few quick screens to receivers, and some out patterns as well.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 am
by HoustonWave
RobertM320 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 am
DfromCT wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:15 pm
I read that Willie Fritz said Jonathan has a chance to play on Sunday and a strong arm. I never read that he said he would be a high draft pick. I might have missed it somewhere but those are two totally different statements from a HC. And I don't buy the first, so I certainly don't agree with the second (statement).

We all thought Banks would be much better in year two, and take another step forward as he did late last year. Instead he seems to have taken a step backwards. And McMillan is not very good, at least not at this time with this amount of exposure to the system he's in. Take away the slant and he's got very little. And you know Navy is going to take away the slant.
McMillan looked a lot better against Navy. 18-29, and I saw a lot of plays that weren't slants. A few quick screens to receivers, and some out patterns as well.
Quite true—more variety in our pass plays than we’ve seen all season. Thank heavens, because we needed every one of them to get the win.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am
by Jaxwave
Did anyone notice two of the biggest plays keeping drives alive were two heads up dump offs to backs by McMillan as he was being sacked. As we've all noted if they would just call a few dumps to backs it would help immensely. I think they called one yesterday an Mc McMillan threw behind Amare Jones who had two blockers and a lot of space ahead of him. It was the play that quite frankly I thought the Wave got a break that it wasn't called a backward lateral. The execution was bad proving they don't work on that much. Baffles me that Ruse ignores that aspect of the game when the opposition all year has blitzed up the middle so much.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:24 am
by golfnut69
I did not watch the game, too busy Putting, did we use the 5 WR's scheme ?

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 am
by Show Me
Jaxwave wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am
Did anyone notice two of the biggest plays keeping drives alive were two heads up dump offs to backs by McMillan as he was being sacked. As we've all noted if they would just call a few dumps to backs it would help immensely. I think they called one yesterday an Mc McMillan threw behind Amare Jones who had two blockers and a lot of space ahead of him. It was the play that quite frankly I thought the Wave got a break that it wasn't called a backward lateral. The execution was bad proving they don't work on that much. Baffles me that Ruse ignores that aspect of the game when the opposition all year has blitzed up the middle so much.
That’s instinct. Hard to teach. I doubt Banks makes that dump off.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:12 am
by winwave
Jaxwave wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am
Did anyone notice two of the biggest plays keeping drives alive were two heads up dump offs to backs by McMillan as he was being sacked. As we've all noted if they would just call a few dumps to backs it would help immensely. I think they called one yesterday an Mc McMillan threw behind Amare Jones who had two blockers and a lot of space ahead of him. It was the play that quite frankly I thought the Wave got a break that it wasn't called a backward lateral. The execution was bad proving they don't work on that much. Baffles me that Ruse ignores that aspect of the game when the opposition all year has blitzed up the middle so much.
Definitely noticed those two plays. Good awareness on his part. Hopefully we continue to call a variety of routes and McMillan uses this extra time to sharpen up his passing. We need to win the Bowl game to achieve the teams stated preseason goals of a winning season and winning a Bowl game.

Re: How Many Regular Season Games Will Tulane Win?

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 am
by GreenLantern
My prediction was 7-5 but I declare myself the winner away. We should have won at least one of Wake, UAB, and SMU. Just because.