OSU coach gets 3 game suspension

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:05 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:48 pm
Wave755 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 pm Can a wife be forced to testify against her husband?

Is this a case that would go to trial over Urban Meyer's knowledge or lack thereof? I think not. It's an OSU investigation and will probably become an NCAA (holier than thou until it cost the NCAA $$) investigation.
As a general rule no, but Shelley as a nurse for the program is bound by the same Title 9 reporting requirement as Urban. And, I would assume for an OSU administrative hearing they would both be questioned and at trial the husband-wife privilege can be waived. A jury would expect that they both testify.
in an interview with ABC this afternoon, Coach Smith admitted that Urban knew about the alleged abuse...it was on the 6pm news here in Austin
Smith interviewed right now on ESPN.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... zach-smith

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 am Pretty soon we can rename this thread..."OSU Coach LEAVING "

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... estigation
So now he's saying he knew, took the proper actions at the time, but lied about it last week?

That kinda stinks.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
greenphantom
Swell

Meyer is now saying that he did bring the alleged abuse to the attention of school officials including the AD. Also, the police investigated and no charges were filed. The wife seems pretty credible to me but I just don’t see how Meyer can be fired unless he witnessed any physical abuse or tried to sweep anything under the rug. This is different from the Penn St situation where there was an eye witness and they still never reported it to the police.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am 15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it. Can I lose my job since I’m now his boss. Should I go to HR and report him and save my job or should I fire him for something he did 15 years ago? Should I take no action and wait for his wife to report me for not reporting it?
I told your story to my wife to get a female reaction. It's a very sensitive topic in this day and time. BTW, what was said or done by the folks at the party when the jackass struck his wife?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 pm Meyer is now saying that he did bring the alleged abuse to the attention of school officials including the AD. Also, the police investigated and no charges were filed. The wife seems pretty credible to me but I just don’t see how Meyer can be fired unless he witnessed any physical abuse or tried to sweep anything under the rug. This is different from the Penn St situation where there was an eye witness and they still never reported it to the police.
sumthin' ain't right in poison nut ville.....if Meyer had indeed reported the incident, OSU would have said " Meyer reported the incident , an investigation took place, and we found "X"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 pm
greenphantom wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 pm Meyer is now saying that he did bring the alleged abuse to the attention of school officials including the AD. Also, the police investigated and no charges were filed. The wife seems pretty credible to me but I just don’t see how Meyer can be fired unless he witnessed any physical abuse or tried to sweep anything under the rug. This is different from the Penn St situation where there was an eye witness and they still never reported it to the police.
sumthin' ain't right in poison nut ville.....if Meyer had indeed reported the incident, OSU would have said " Meyer reported the incident , an investigation took place, and we found "X"
Fair point. I should have clarified my comment that it was based on assuming Meyer is telling the truth. Probably more details will emerge.
greenphantom
Swell

I hate to threadjack but I’m 45 and I can honestly say I’ve never witnessed physical spousal abuse, ever. As an adult, I’ve never witnessed child abuse but as a kid growing up in the 80s, kids getting hit was the norm. I attended Christian Brothers and those Brothers were brutal. Looking back, it’s hard to believe lawsuits weren’t filed, arrests weren’t made, etc. Kids were constantly getting hit over the head with rulers, slapped across the face, etc. I once had a Brother slam my head into a wall. Probably because I didn’t accept Tanner Lee as our savior. I expected similar treatment at Jesuit but never once saw a kid get hit by a teacher or priest.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am 15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it.
That's not something I'd hang my hat on.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

The Urban Meyer “game plan” after Wednesday now appears to be for him to simply say he reported the allegations of Smith physically abusing his wife Courtney to the OSU administration; Smith denied the allegations claiming it was his wife Courtney who physically abused him; and, Meyer heard nothing more of it after making the allegations known to the OSU administration. Then, Smith violated a protective order obtained by his wife Courtney, Meyer learned of it and fired him.

And, Meyer went to the Big 10 media day to talk football, not domestic abuse, and simply “forgot” about learning of those allegations of domestic abuse against Smith in 2015; after all, 3 years is a long time. And, Meyer “forgetting” at the Big 10 media day of the allegations of abuse against Smith in 2015 was not, as some would suggest, the result of a “consciousness of guilt” on his part for having participated in a coverup in favor of Smith, the grandson of Earle Bruce, Meyer’s mentor. ;)

Hmm, let’s see if this flies? And, it has to work better than the truth! :)
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:14 pm
Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am 15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it. Can I lose my job since I’m now his boss. Should I go to HR and report him and save my job or should I fire him for something he did 15 years ago? Should I take no action and wait for his wife to report me for not reporting it?
I told your story to my wife to get a female reaction. It's a very sensitive topic in this day and time. BTW, what was said or done by the folks at the party when the jackass struck his wife?
People made the excuse that he had too much to drink. I think he thought his wife was flirting around. After that they left the party.
Show Me
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 pm
Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am 15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it.
That's not something I'd hang my hat on.
It’s bothered me for years.
greenphantom
Swell

Weird though that people want Urban Meyer fired but don’t seem to have a problem with Ed Orgeron coaching who himself had a woman file a restraining order against him.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:34 am People made the excuse that he had too much to drink. I think he thought his wife was flirting around. After that they left the party.
I'll bet that behavior didn't stop when they left the party. Are they still married?
Confucius wrote: There are a lot more virgins in the world than there are women who have had sex only once. Similarly, there are a lot more men who never struck a woman than those who struck only one.
Maybe Confucius didn't say that. Maybe it was Ed Oregeron in 1991 when a permanent injunction of protection was granted to a woman by Florida's Dade County Court which landed him in a 26-week domestic violence counseling program.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:50 am
Show Me wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:34 am People made the excuse that he had too much to drink. I think he thought his wife was flirting around. After that they left the party.
I'll bet that behavior didn't stop when they left the party. Are they still married?
Confucius wrote: There are a lot more virgins in the world than there are women who have had sex only once. Similarly, there are a lot more men who never struck a woman than those who struck only one.
Maybe Confucius didn't say that. Maybe it was Ed Oregeron in 1991 when a permanent injunction of protection was granted to a woman by Florida's Dade County Court which landed him in a 26-week domestic violence counseling program.
They are divorced...
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:38 pm
They are divorced...
He’s on his 3rd wife.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:42 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:38 pm
They are divorced...
He’s on his 3rd wife.
He's a "lite weight' my former Wife is now on Husband number 8...maybe it is number 9, hard to keep up... I was hubby number 2...we were divorced in 1986
Jaxwave
Swell

Everyone get on your knees and pray that Urban survives this and stays at OSU, otherwise, assuming he did report the incident in 2015, he will remain very hireable which might mean the next coach at lsu.
He's not only a great coach, but he is an utterly disgusting human being and you can't imagine how bad it would be to listen to his phoniness and watch the minions in BR eat it up.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:45 pm Everyone get on your knees and pray that Urban survives this and stays at OSU, otherwise, assuming he did report the incident in 2015, he will remain very hireable which might mean the next coach at lsu.
He's not only a great coach, but he is an utterly disgusting human being and you can't imagine how bad it would be to listen to his phoniness and watch the minions in BR eat it up.
Imagine a conference division with 3/4 active coaches that have won a national title plus a coach that has played for a national title since 2012. There would be almost no point in someone coaching at Arkansas Ole Miss, and MS State.

But yeah, if LSU hired Urban Meyer, it could finally become the blue blood program that it has always pretended to be (i.e. the group with Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC and maybe Nebraska).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:45 pm Everyone get on your knees and pray that Urban survives this and stays at OSU, otherwise, assuming he did report the incident in 2015, he will remain very hireable which might mean the next coach at lsu.
Imagine a conference division with 3/4 active coaches that have won a national title plus a coach that has played for a national title since 2012. There would be almost no point in someone coaching at Arkansas Ole Miss, and MS State.

But yeah, if LSU hired Urban Meyer, it could finally become the blue blood program that it has always pretended to be (i.e. the group with Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC and maybe Nebraska).
As a big Notre Dame fan, I have to point out that LSU won the national title in 2007, a game in which ND had a tough time crossing the 50 yard line. Such a bad time that they missed their charter flight home. A raucous LSU fan painted the 50 yard line in front of the Notre Dame buses, they couldn't move.

Urban Meyer has had serious issues everywhere he's coached. His Florida teams made Alabama look like choir boys. But he wins and would be an uptick from Orgeron, who has his own issues, including his W-L record.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:13 pm

As a big Notre Dame fan, I have to point out that LSU won the national title in 2007, a game in which ND had a tough time crossing the 50 yard line. Such a bad time that they missed their charter flight home. A raucous LSU fan painted the 50 yard line in front of the Notre Dame buses, they couldn't move.

Urban Meyer has had serious issues everywhere he's coached. His Florida teams made Alabama look like choir boys. But he wins and would be an uptick from Orgeron, who has his own issues, including his W-L record.
The Urban Legend had 35 Players arrested during his 6 years at Florida... Meyer looks upon former Coach Earl Bruce as his "mentor'.....Smith, is Earl's grandson
Wave755
Tsunami

Didn’t LSU play Ohio State for the 2007 National Championship, not ND? And, for 2003 didn’t LSU play Oklahoma for the National Championship game?
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Didn’t LSU play Ohio State for the 2007 National Championship, not ND? And, for 2003 didn’t LSU played Oklahoma for the National Championship game?
I stand corrected. ND lost 41-14 to LSU in the 2007 Sugar Bowl following the 2006 season. That was the return of the Sugar Bowl to the Superdome, not the MNC game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Dave breslin
Swell

A woman got mad at Ogeron after he quit receiving his residual check for the part he plaid in the movie”The Waterboy “. He was the assistant coach no one understood.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico
Swell

What do you guys make of the 14 day timeline?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.